Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 09-30-2018 03:12 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 474: Tru by Ovlov (Album Choice: PixlSM)

Two albums in a row requested by one guy! Haven't done that in what seems like forever. I really liked this band, oh, 3 or 4 years ago but actually haven't listened to Am in just about as long and haven't listened to any of their other shit. Also the fact that they appeared on that shitty alt-right sketch show is weird, but I'm not gonna hold it against them since they apologized.

This is a good, concise album and it sounds exactly how I remember this band sounding except maybe a little more chilled out, moderately Dinosaur Jr-esque and I cannot think of another way to describe them. At certain times I feel like it's too same-y, but there is not a bad track on here and it's only a half-hour so I'll give it some slack there.

Good fuzz for 2018, a year I've been unimpressed by most rock I've listened to. Okay back to the homework I've listened to this album like 5 times and couldn't write more.

Best Track: Half Way Fine
Rating: 7.5/10

PixlSM 09-30-2018 03:18 PM

(:

rayword45 09-30-2018 07:54 PM

Day 475: Lunik by Frank Bretschneider (Album Choice: aperson)

Ironically, given the person who recommended this album, I think I'd enjoy this a LOT more if I was tripping sack or something.

That's not to say that this is a bad album, but rather that this music is somewhat and somehow different in tone than I initially expected. I expected something much more cold and mechanical-feeling, and while this DOES fit both of those criteria, there is also an undercurrent of psychedelia that runs throughout the album. Was that intended? Or am I just shouting out my own wrong interpretation? Who gives a shit?

Also this album is too long for its own good and kinda gets boring up until the end when suddenly the amount of melody spikes up. Not a bad album, but it's obviously very niche and I'm focusing too damn much on my math studies to actually go in-depth here.

Best Track: Sputnik
Rating: 6/10

Deadlyx39 10-10-2018 10:07 PM

Another one that came to mind is City by Strapping Young Lad.

rayword45 10-17-2018 04:08 PM

Day 476: Tha Carter V by Lil Wayne

...did he HAVE to make the first real track the one featuring XXXTENTACION? I mean rest in peace and all, but ? was still a great representation of the dude's musical talents AKA nearly none and jesus fuck this is just unnecessary.

I've listened to this album 4 times in full since it came out, and still have remarkably little of worth to say. No other songs reach the nadir of the aforementioned first one, in fact after that this project is remarkably consistent, which I'm not sure is made more or less impressive in light of the fact that half of these tracks are 5+ years old now. There are a few duds here and there but the fact that I want to cut less than 30 minutes out of this project when it's fucking movie length is amazing on itself. Either way, this is waaaaay more enjoyable than Sorry 4 The Wait 2 was, which I still stand by as terrible.

Sorry I don't have more to say. Look, you already listened to this or you didn't, and if you did you know exactly where you stand. This is unnecessary.

Best Track: Mona Lisa
Rating: 7/10

noname219 10-17-2018 10:33 PM

Two new suggestions :
Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy
Noname - Telefone

rayword45 10-24-2018 02:11 PM

Day 477: Konoyo by Tim Hecker

Why do I continue doing this? Why do I write some bullshit in a post for 3 people to read instead of going to class like a good student? I don't know, maybe I've found this slightly cathartic over the past few years. Goddamnit I need to stop being such a lazy fuck. However I slid through the first couple years with decent grades I've now forgotten and I need to get back on track. Will I ever find love? Do I want to find love? ...nah not right now but finding happiness in some small form besides getting drunk and making regrettable decisions would be nice, and better for my liver. Why am I broke? Why don't I get a fucking job? I need money. Are these the kinda pathetic questions and emotions this dude was tryna bring up to the surface for this album or not? Cause I'm thinking it was meant more to be cryptically nostalgic.

Oh yeah. Finally listened to that new Tim Hecker album and liked it but didn't love it. The last track is pretty annoying in large parts and so are the first couple minutes of the first track but otherwise it's an improvement on the last two. Will relisten to see if my opinion changes.

Best Track: In Mother Earth Phase
Rating: 7.5/10

PixlSM 10-25-2018 01:25 PM

if you still want 2018 albums theres that c418 release from last month

rayword45 10-31-2018 11:31 AM

anyone here ever see olafur arnalds live? contemplating it for thanksgiving weekend

also next bad review coming today probably

rayword45 11-1-2018 12:11 AM

Day 478: Dead Magic by Anna Von Hausswolff

Going down the 2018 charts on RateYourMusic to judge the internet music nerd consensus taste. This one's pretty high up on the charts, top 5 I believe? I know nothing about whatever the fuck darkwave is other than I've listened to a few albums of the genre, let's check this out.

The first track starts gorgeously, with a spare organ being met with airy, ritual-esque vocals and spare string orchestration. Then it devolves into some weird, agitating accordion-sounding bullshit and meanders for about eleventy-seven years. What a disappointment, although it started well enough. The other super-long song, the centrepiece of the album, has no such annoying passages and is a much heavier, more rock-esque track which fits my taste perfectly.

As for the short songs? Or well, relatively shorter? Closer Källans återuppståndelse is a beautiful funeral dirge which closes perfectly with some feedback and fuzz, The Mysterious Vanishing Of Electra is a haunting ritual chant where the overaffected, screechy vocals actually work, and The Marble Eye just sounds like creepy church music.

Overall? Hit-or-miss. I laud the atmospheric approach to this whole thing but it doesn't make every track automatically good or interesting. I'll return to this for a third time later and see how my opinions shift.

Best Track: Ugly And Vengeful
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 11-6-2018 12:15 AM

Day 479: Year Of The Snitch by Death Grips (Album Choice: Jack L.)

I can't believe this meme hasn't died yet. This album is okay but as someone who likes the genres they're going for this time around, I found myself amazingly disinterested, and I feel like a lot of these songs aren't even fully finished. Some good tracks, a lot more grating tracks, MC Ride screaming and shit over broken drums you know how it goes.

Definitely not my favorite album of theirs.

Best Track: Black Paint
Rating: 4.5/10

PixlSM 11-6-2018 04:06 PM

seconding the daughters album
fantano liked it so I was surprised when it wasnt garbage

rayword45 11-12-2018 10:04 PM

Day 480: The Now Now by Gorillaz (Album Choice: MixMasterLar)

The last Gorillaz album I reviewed was Demon Dayz way back in... 2013 maybe? These guys (or this guy?) never really clicked for me on the same level that so many others seem to be on, but they're fun and catchy enough I suppose. Exorbitant ass concert tickets though, definitely not worth it. The last album I remember reviewing recommended by this guy was Becoming X and that grew from decent in my books to an all-time favorite so that makes me hopeful for this one, at least in the long-term.

Wait, this is hip-hop? What the fuck is hip-hop about this? There's literally only one song with any rapping on it, which is probably the worst song here, and these certainly don't feel like hip-hop beats to me. This is more space-synth than anything.

But is it any good? Well, I definitely like this more than I liked Demon Dayz so that's a plus. The best songs like Lake Zurich and Tranz are gloriously future funky, whereas the slow jams like Idaho and One Percent do nothing for me (and like I said before, that one song with Snoop Dogg really sucks). Also lol at the fact that there's a song here called Fire Flies. For it's 41 minute running time, I enjoyed roughly two-thirds of this album, maybe a bit more. That sounds bad, but it's not because the good songs are really fun whereas the lesser tracks are merely unmoving, not offensive.

I hate math homework.

Best Track: Lake Zurich
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 11-12-2018 11:02 PM

Day 481: Now Only by Mount Eerie

A Crow Looked At Me was one of my favorite albums of 2017, and it was also impossible to review due to how personal the album really sounded.

This is the indirect sequel to that album, I guess as part of Elverum's grieving process. Unfortunately, he used up basically all the good songs on that last album, and the lyrics were better when they weren't originally intended to be lyrics.

Don't feel like writing more considering I'm already hella late on this album anyways. Dude's remarried, clearly he's at the acceptance phase.

Best Track: Crow Pt. 2
Rating: 5/10

QueenAshy 11-13-2018 02:24 AM

Camellia - Planet Shaper

Does this album really need an introduction? Just give it a listen.

Also, Pink Floyd - dark side of the moon is good as well

dashoe93 11-13-2018 09:53 AM

REMNANT by Lorn

Haven't listened to these, but randomly looking for 2018 albums:
Leather Teeth by Carpenter Brut
Lamp Lit Prose by Dirty Projectors

MarioNintendo 11-13-2018 11:01 AM

Darlène - Hubert Lenoir
(It's pretty varied so hopefully you will find something you like in it)

PixlSM 11-13-2018 11:42 AM

William Basinski +Lawrence English - Selva Oscura
is pretty good if you havent heard it yet

rayword45 11-23-2018 08:13 PM

Day 482: Drip Season 3 by Gunna (Album Choice: college ppl)

30% good

Ratng: 3/10