Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stock Market Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=152255)

mi40 01-11-2021 10:58 AM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson ultima (Post 4754622)
Back after a couple years to let you know to only hold enough cash to last you 3 to 6 months. Any cash you hold on you, you will lose to inflation.

equity is king brother, agree

Charu 01-11-2021 12:12 PM

I really should look into this myself

trumaestro 01-11-2021 01:31 PM

What are you guys using to invest? There are so many apps/sites. And do they generate tax slips? In Canada?

mi40 01-11-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumaestro (Post 4754657)
What are you guys using to invest? There are so many apps/sites. And do they generate tax slips? In Canada?

your brokerage should generate all tax slips & relevant documentation for you

i use td ameritrade for my main accounts and robinhood for penny spreads, canadian folks i'm not sure what they use. i know canadian dudes still trade/buy NYSE/NASDAQ stuff though

Funnygurl555 01-11-2021 07:09 PM

what do u recommend i use mi40

im thinking of putting in a couple hundred bucks to learn

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4754618)
do anything but hold cash
probably just buy SPY shares or individual companies that you like, maybe stuff like amazon, google, microsoft, costco, etc

yeah im trying not to. i was watching some graham stephen vids a couple months back and that steered me away from doing that as a money strat. but i was building up an emergency fund so aside from the ~super smol~ 401k i have thru work all my money's in a savings acc rn. but i'm nearly done with that i guess

Wayward Vagabond 01-11-2021 08:40 PM

Serious question now. My fiencee's mom wants to invest 7k and idk where to start

Tyson ultima 01-11-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4754681)
Serious question now. My fiencee's mom wants to invest 7k and idk where to start

If you want low risk growth they can invest in index funds. Anything like from Vanguard such as VTSAX, VFIAX, etc. etc. Personally I put 6k in my Roth IRA around october I believe and have seen a 700$ increase in my portfolio so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-53ZTJmDUA I felt this covered the topic pretty well

mi40 01-12-2021 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4754677)
what do u recommend i use mi40

im thinking of putting in a couple hundred bucks to learn

yeah im trying not to. i was watching some graham stephen vids a couple months back and that steered me away from doing that as a money strat. but i was building up an emergency fund so aside from the ~super smol~ 401k i have thru work all my money's in a savings acc rn. but i'm nearly done with that i guess

basically what tyson ultima said. low risk, low expense fee, tax shielded gains on the roth is a good place to start.

mi40 01-12-2021 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4754681)

does she want to invest long term or short term? two very different things. if that 7k is not disposable money, i would recommend maxing the roth and 401k contrib and then buying index funds or a mix of index funds + blue chip companies she likes for a long term investment

this means VTSAX (world's largest fund) or SPX/QQQ, etc

mi40 01-12-2021 03:51 PM

some loss on my BABA today, closed my FSLR positions and still holding all my bank/oil positions

feels good man

Wayward Vagabond 01-12-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4754710)
does she want to invest long term or short term? two very different things. if that 7k is not disposable money, i would recommend maxing the roth and 401k contrib and then buying index funds or a mix of index funds + blue chip companies she likes for a long term investment

this means VTSAX (world's largest fund) or SPX/QQQ, etc

She's retired already and I want to say half of that 7k she's okay with losing. For someone in her situation what do you recommend?

mi40 01-12-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4754734)
She's retired already and I want to say half of that 7k she's okay with losing. For someone in her situation what do you recommend?

sony (SNE) has solid balance sheets and is reasonably priced in a currently overvalued market environment in terms of PE ratio, so for a tech position i would get sony

banks like JPM/GS are also still undervalued compared to the rest of the market, and so are oil giants like chevron and exxon (CVX, XOM).. the oil giants also pay out chunky dividends.

for growing/smallcap companies i personally wouldn't recommend any right now since it's such a frothy environment right now.. like everything is up 200% in the past few months and the whole indice (RTY, IWM) is up 110% from the march lows which is unheard of a major indice..

as always she and you should also do your research, you'll find some stuff you might like !

Poison- 01-12-2021 08:00 PM

PLUG just keeps going up. I don't know when to sell hahaha

mi40 01-13-2021 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4754746)
PLUG just keeps going up. I don't know when to sell hahaha

sell little bits at a time if you're uncomfortable
otherwise i'd just get your cost basis back and let the rest ride if you're ok with that, set a stop loss that trails upwards as well

Wayward Vagabond 01-13-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4754739)
sony (SNE) has solid balance sheets and is reasonably priced in a currently overvalued market environment in terms of PE ratio, so for a tech position i would get sony

banks like JPM/GS are also still undervalued compared to the rest of the market, and so are oil giants like chevron and exxon (CVX, XOM).. the oil giants also pay out chunky dividends.

for growing/smallcap companies i personally wouldn't recommend any right now since it's such a frothy environment right now.. like everything is up 200% in the past few months and the whole indice (RTY, IWM) is up 110% from the march lows which is unheard of a major indice..

as always she and you should also do your research, you'll find some stuff you might like !

She did this, thanks!

mi40 01-13-2021 01:00 PM

*U.S. Expected to Allow Americans to Continue to Invest in Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu, Sources Say
$BABA

up 70% on my BABA 2022 now. +5% move today, expecting BABA to recover to 260 by march at least.

let's go boys, got me some extra fries to celebrate

Rebirth0 01-13-2021 03:57 PM

Bought Moderna about 6 weeks ago when it was under 100 a share. Watched it go up to 160 thinking it'll keep going. End up selling at 115 because it fell way too much.

I missed my opportunity ;_;

Bought some Peloton at 145 though and its up 8% today. Late to the party (last spring it was around 50/share), but there should be quite a bit of upside remaining

mi40 01-14-2021 08:03 PM

sold my BABA
added V, COST, AMD

Poison- 01-14-2021 08:20 PM

My three highest risk holdings all had really good days today. GME, BNGO and SCR all up over 20% on the day. Overall my portfolio was up 8.11%. I think that's the best day I've had since I started. Up 60% since when I started back in September

EDIT: Also sold PLUG

mi40 01-14-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4754844)
My three highest risk holdings all had really good days today. GME, BNGO and SCR all up over 20% on the day. Overall my portfolio was up 8.11%. I think that's the best day I've had since I started. Up 60% since when I started back in September

EDIT: Also sold PLUG

let's go boys! i would never touch GME and PLUG but grats on getting in on those early