Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

dAnceguy117 06-15-2021 04:03 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

o7

rayword45 06-16-2021 10:16 AM

Day 850: Nurture by Porter Robinson (Album Choice: dAnceguy117)

I was expecting this one to be worse but I guess a seven year album hiatus did this guy some good because this is a significant improvement in my opinion. Album is about the same length but has 2 more songs and thus SHORTER songs and that makes a world of difference. Also, in general this seems way less tailored to those explosive "when the E hits" moments (not that it isn't chockful of them) and there's a lot more pop structure to these tracks, as well as a good amount of variation (some tracks borderline sound like Four Tet). I'd still argue the album is a tad bit too long, but really, this is pretty damn good.

Fuck, I guess I'm a basic Asian bitch now. Time to review the next Excision album that comes out!

Best Track: Mother
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 06-17-2021 01:29 PM

Day 851: A Tiny House, In Secret Speeches, Polar Equals by Sweet Trip

This was decent. This was enjoyable. Like my ADHD brain always complains, it was too long. I have a lot of hipster friends claiming that this album sucks and that they fell off hard but I don't hate this at all. There were plenty of great tracks that went on for too long, and then some great tracks that were the right length. Nothing stuck out as excessively bad.

Okay whatever.

Best Track: Chapters or Randfilt
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 06-22-2021 11:41 AM

Day 852: Playground In A Lake by Clark

Apparently this guy has been consistently releasing shit every two years but the last time I listened to his shit was when I was on jury duty in 2017... Aw fuck that means I'm probably gonna have to go at some point soon.

Anyways, this is not the danceable acid-y tech house IDM type stuff I'm used to, this is... mostly just modern classical. There's some electronic usage in there, but very sparingly, and it's not like other modern classical producers avoid that shit altogether either. As for this album itself? This... is meh. It's background noise that I'd hear at some fancy gathering. I liked some of the dronier bits but all-in-all, forgettable. Maybe I'm just not high IQ or boomer enough yet. Or maybe I'm biased bc my ass wants to dance right the fuck now Saturday please come sooner.

Best Track: The ending one (also known as Life Outro)
Rating: 5/10

choof 06-22-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4762597)
Day 847: Skitzofrenia Simulation by Sewerslvt

I liked the last one but haven't returned to it much. I REALLY like this one, it makes me want to rave, the whole album plays out like a set at a rave I'd want to be at, with a variety of moods and speeds.

No Moral Orel samples this time but IMO that's a good thing despite my love of the show.

I can't make a funny here.

Best Track: Existing Everywhere
Rating: 9/10

ye I kinda want to hate on sewerslvt for this album because yet again she's exploiting mental illness but musically it's somewhat objectively her best

rayword45 06-22-2021 12:36 PM

Day 843: All Caps by ZULI

I'm trying to expand my reach outside of a Eurocentric perspective. This is not an MF Doom remix album. This is a half hour of drum programming basically. I like about half of it.

Best Track: Keen Demag
Rating: 6/10

aperson 06-22-2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4762970)
Maybe I'm just not high IQ or boomer enough yet. Or maybe I'm biased bc my ass wants to dance right the fuck now Saturday please come sooner.

Clark is way overrated imo. The way he produces tracks sounds like he has a ton of hearing damage too.

rayword45 06-22-2021 05:12 PM

Day 844: Jubilee by Japanese Breakfast

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4762671)
Day 848: The Fool by Bladee

I mean, it's really same-y, it's generally pleasant enough, it's rarely TERRIBLE... I'm going back to work

Rating: 6/10
Best Track: Hotel Breakfast (almost typed Japanese there)

I typed those in reverse by accident and don't feel like fixing it

Hey this works here too. I can appreciate the craftsmanship of this one a bit more and there are more moments that are truly beautiful, but overall, feh, fuck you RYM.

Best Track: Sit
Rating: 7/10

dAnceguy117 06-22-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4762709)
Album is about the same length but has 2 more songs and thus SHORTER songs and that makes a world of difference

more like............... a worlds of difference

T-Force 06-22-2021 07:09 PM

SURVIVORS GUILT: THE MIXTAPE// by KennyHoopla

aperson 06-23-2021 12:00 AM

Michael Harrison - Seven Sacred Names

rayword45 06-23-2021 11:41 AM

Day 845: Inside (The Songs) by Bo Burnham (Album Choice: barfood)

I don't watch a lot of standup in general, so I couldn't give you an answer on the quality of any specials without feeling dishonest and/or underqualified. Most of the people I hear referred to as greats such as Louis C.K, Bill Burr or Alex Jones/Bill Hicks I don't find to be funny onstage whatsoever, and I find these guys funny in their roles OFF the stage. Louie was one of the most important television shows ever (before the whole masturbation thing) and definitely changed the landscape for what constitutes a sitcom permanently, I think F is For Family is hilarious and heartwrenching, and of course, the conspiracy theory on the last guy is hilarious.

But anyways, onto this album.

I have not watched any of Burnham's other specials, so I can't even make that comparison. What I do remember him for most recently is his role as a pediatrician in Promising Young Woman, which I think he nailed, but most importantly, he created and starred in the MTV one-season wonder Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous, which is still fucking hilarious and should've been on Comedy Central or FXX or something, not the fucking Jersey Shore/Teen Mom/Ridiculousness channel for crying out loud.

This album is two-thirds as long as the Netflix special, which seems crazy upon first glance but from what I can tell this guy's specialty is combining music with standup so that's less odd when put into context. It also makes sense why so many of these songs seem to end without so much as a fade out, instead just smash cutting to silence or into the next song immediately. And as a standalone special without the accompanying visuals or spoken setups/punchlines, this is... not my thing. Another guy I know described it as woke Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace and he's honestly pretty right. This shit isn't funny most of the time, and I can't even tell if it's trying to be funny or if he's just trying to be didactic in hopes of getting any potential audience to nod and agree. The production is also very, very bland. Some of the more synthesizer heavy songs are fun, but not all, and a majority of the more folksy singer-songwriter cuts didn't even make me crack a smile.

I'm gonna have to revisit this album after I watch the special, in the meantime

Best Track: Bezos I
Rating: 4/10

Travis_Flesher 06-25-2021 03:12 AM

Gojira has a new album

rayword45 06-26-2021 12:45 PM

Day 846: Call Me If You Get Lost by Tyler, The Creator

Gotta keep my entry level art hipster taste up to date. This feels largely like a throwback to the pre-Flower Boy days, albeit a lot more mature and definitely less bloated (though still somewhat bloated, although it's the longer tracks that tend to be the best oddly enough). It's not as good as the last two.

Actually I lied, it's better then regular Igor but not when you pitch shift that one. Anyways, I enjoyed it, we'll see if I love it more over time.

Best Track: Sweet / I Thought You Wanted to Dance
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 06-27-2021 03:08 PM

Day 847: Celestia EP by Durante & Hana

Someone told me that Grimes dropped a new album and morbid curiosity hit me but it looks like it's just a remix album so instead I clicked one of the collaborators and decided to check out their latest release.

And this is short but I like it pretty good. Basically what I need after a long night of sweaty minimal techno.

Best Track: title

rayword45 06-29-2021 08:45 AM

Day 848: Sin City by Ski Mask The Slump God

I remember when this guy beat the shit out of Lil B right around the time he released a mixtape or album or something called The Bigger Man, then caught major internet rap nerd backlash. Funny stuff.

But nobody cares about that controversy now, and people still adore his music. I've never been a huge fan nor a hater, and this release pretty much just confirms my same opinion. There are some great ideas in here, there's a good variance of moods, but the production is pretty poor throughout, and although I like that the songs are short and don't overstay their welcome, they could definitely use a little bit of just, like, fleshing out these ideas. You have everything from hard party bangers to more melodic cuts in here but with few exceptions, they feel underdeveloped.

He should beat up Lil B again just to catch the public eye.

Best Track: The Matrix

rayword45 06-29-2021 12:27 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 849: Memoryland by CFCF

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4697802)
Day 615: Liquid Colors by CFCF (Album Choice: noname219)

This seems to keep the same tempo throughout the entire album. The whole thing flows incredibly well track-to-track and in a way, it's resultantly extremely same-y yet in spite of that, I found myself mesmerized throughout the entire album even upon multiple consecutive listens. The atmosphere is basically "commercialized future" in a way similar to vaporwave except this clearly has more thought put into each individual track and doesn't rely so heavily on samples. The mostly seamless playback basically morphs this whole thing into one big piece, aided heavily by the similar melodies and tempos, and it's about the perfect length for what it's trying to achieve.

Definitely enjoying this a lot right now, although it could be my stressed out, overworked state of mind resulting in bias due to how well this works as study music. Will definitely revisit to see how it holds up before the end of the year, although I probably won't tell y'all.

Best Track: Translucently Happy

Well I relistened to that before listening to this newer one twice, and boy is it different. This is basically just pure nostalgia bait... but I gotta say that I love it. When I saw it was 70 minutes I wanted to cry but there was enough variance and the longer tracks rarely overstayed their welcome SOMEHOW while the short tracks didn't feel like filler. The variance of feels from Daft Punk-esque throwbacks to breakbeats to indie rock type stuff all worked here for me. This is what the new Sweet Trip album wishes it was.

I'm gonna be real generous here, and that's not solely because somehow it got me to enjoy hearing the disembodied voice from Kero Kero Bonito. Actually, this gave me a similar emotional reaction to that DJ Metatron release from last year.

Best Track: End—Curve of Forgetting
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 06-29-2021 02:52 PM

Day 850: Voyage Out by Floaties

And this is an example of a serious lack of mood variation right here. Maybe I'm not the ideal math rock fan but this sounds like something I would've enjoyed more in 2015 but still found boring. Be more atonal.

Best Track: they all sound the same

rayword45 06-30-2021 11:45 AM

Day 851: A Common Turn by Anna B Savage

This is pretty good even though I came in expecting to be totally bored. I'm not saying anything else.

Best Track: A Common Tern
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 06-30-2021 01:12 PM

Day 852: The Turning Wheel by SPELLLING

On the other hand, this one is as of right now highly overrated by the hipster masses. I enjoyed a few tracks, mostly the ones that sound more like prog rock, even though I hate prog rock. The rest of the time I was either annoyed or bored. What is this supposed to sound like? An opera? A broadway play? A Disney movie?

I can appreciate that a ton of craftsmanship went into this, and when it was good (about 3 tracks, maybe 4) I legitimately enjoyed it, but it mostly just got on my nerves.

Best Track: Magic Act
Rating: 4.5/10