Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Other Music Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   why do people hate on osu!mania?? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=148455)

Aquellex 07-2-2018 02:57 AM

Re: why do people hate on osu!mania??

IIDX is just osu! with a turntable

Cbru8383x 01-15-2020 11:24 PM

People hate o!m becuase it has some unfamilliar features, as a o!m maina, when I came to ffr, ln's, and the even for other vsrg's, the having to let go at end of ln was what I was used to (although tbf getting used to ln's for 1st was weird af) anyways, people get lag case by case... yes the rankings usually suck, although in my 1.5yr+ of playing I've found quite a lot of good maps, and there's a bunch of good unranked maps... and people who complained 7k dominates: there's 4k maps, so yeah no, they don't there' plenty of 4k only players rank 400+. As for difficulty rating, yeah no, that's fk'ed, the devs don't care for it, so yeah... it's just a mess there... but I can't blame em, they have to focus on fixing the main game mode std (standard) and not making jumps give too much pp (and as of rn they're making new client with new revamp etc). (EDIT: Skinning portion is also your opinion, and again depends on what you're used to, and your skills/patience) Next, skinning a skin I find much simpler... although my experience with ffr skinning is practically nothing... o!m skinning is quite simple once you understand each element, as it's name based, and even the skin.ini file is easy to understand. You also can't say it's just anime moaning etc. because you could easilly make your own, even ifyou don't wanna take the time to make each element yourself, you could copy paste .png/.jpg and rename to make em for the specific element you want... including hitsounds (and colors if you don't like the colors because they're "to bright". It's skinning, you make it however you want.) Now as for only being able to scroll one way without plug in's...yeah that sucks for yall... i got used to it so I could say the same about other games which don't include scroll like o!u. It's just something the devs didn't consider when making the gamemode, and if it really bothers you, with the new client I'm willing to bet you could make an argument to make them include both. Then punishment for missing... yeah no, there's different hp, so if you're playing easier maps, the hp is rlly fking forgiving (usually, because you get to manually set this when mapping) and then harder ones have worse hp than any ffr map I've seen... plus the difficulty of the maps in o!u range to being more difficult than any ffr map I've played... I'd be willing to bet I can pass any ffr map... yet ik I can barely pass a few 6*'s. If you want a good example of a good o!u map, aiae waffles shd. Now, this I have problems with ffr would be: no ln's... can also give me lag with timings and honestly... I've had just as many problems w/ ffr as o!u. (and I've played o!u a lot more) and then song selection and maps are limited severely (although I can't blame them.) (addition I just remembered seeing in an arguement: yeah, people praise any decent player, because o!u is more popular rn than ffr, and people who are just new to the game are going to praise anyone they think is 1/2 decent... that would be the same for ffr if ffr was more popular. And if you want to attack me that ffr is more popular I'm going to have to say, based on active players... and total player count... o!m is still more popular, which is probably in part due to std mode and then advertisement (advertisement as in people showing off, usually are ones showing off o!u skills, and i'd say there's less ffr vids recently than o!u... especially with the "talent show" crap that a lot of the decent o!u players hate because 1/2 of em are intermediate players pretending to be good.))

Considering all of that, there's really no reason to hate either game... it's made for each game's player base, and if the game's not for you, it's not for you... both games have just as many problems, and just as many community issues (if you account for scale).

To answer this threads question: people will hate it because people don't like what they're not used to and then there's people who don't enjoy the game... and there's toxic/manipulative people who'll get new players and intermediate players etc. to agree with their toxic ideas while making it so they don't form their own conclusions.

XelNya 01-15-2020 11:52 PM

because it's actually shit

storn42 01-16-2020 12:16 AM

because this is a good bait thread :)
Also 2 years has passed and people have (mostly) given up on shitting on o!m.

icontrolyourworld 01-16-2020 12:37 AM

op never came back :(

Josemba 01-16-2020 11:02 AM

LNs are fun, but SV sucks

Dynam0 06-28-2021 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelNya (Post 4707705)
because it's actually shit

Hey look guys, this fucking loser thinks he can gate keep the rhythm gaming community on quality

rushyrulz 06-28-2021 08:18 AM

damn guess the counterbait worked

XelNya 06-28-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynam0 (Post 4763287)
Hey look guys, this fucking loser thinks he can gate keep the rhythm gaming community on quality

I mean, I didn’t in that post, but eh. Keep up the attempts to be petty.

Untimely Friction 06-28-2021 11:24 PM

No one is mentioning that leaderboards may not be important, so far as top ranks, but are important to glean a sense of self improvement

Many players want to get better. If because of a bad ranking system you rank up, but arent appreciably getting better, you will feel bad. O!m encourages combo and bad habbits, a la manipulation. The ways you appear to get better objectively make you less accurate, or not learn the fundamentals. The mid to low range playera (most players) will suffer big time due to this, and the high level players will already have vsrg experience to know how to actually get better.

The ranking system needs to be diverse and well implemented for the majority of people to FEEL like they are improving, and actually be able to demonstrate it, or they will quit or call it a shit game.

K go home i answered the thread

Edit: ffr and etterna cleanly glean how you are getting better, thus they give more value to the player.

O!m is bigger because it forks off the established very different osu!

Comparing their actual popularity is donwright uninformed as to *how* people find games.

Wiosna 06-29-2021 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquellex (Post 4626194)
IIDX is just osu! with a turntable

facts

storn42 06-29-2021 03:58 AM

i look forward to posting in this thread in 10 years when people will still be posting in this thread every year.

mi40 06-29-2021 10:12 AM

people having fun is cool

choof 06-29-2021 01:45 PM

o!m the game is shit because their charting/mapping meta is boring farm bait garbage
osu the community is shit for two reasons: young sheltered anime avatar morons and groomers who target young sheltered anime avatar morons

FlynnMac 06-29-2021 02:02 PM

The way I see it, just let people enjoy what they want y'all, it's not hard. I personally prefer osu!mania over etterna and I'm doing well off. There's not one set way to do things and people shouldn't be forced to line up with one's specific rhythm game opinions. There really isn't much else needing to be said here.

aperson 06-29-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4763368)
o!m the game is shit because their charting/mapping meta is boring farm bait garbage
osu the community is shit for two reasons: young sheltered anime avatar morons and groomers who target young sheltered anime avatar morons

this seems like the only good critique i've heard out of anything so far.

also love that this thread is eternal and you can bump it any time any year to pick up right where you left off.

drizzleRomanceGirl 06-29-2021 10:04 PM

it's almost impossible to do well with a touchpad x.x (at least for me)

Wiosna 06-29-2021 10:49 PM

serious comment:
Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4763368)

The o!m charting meta primarily hasn't been boring farm bait garbage in years barring a small circle of people who make content for the ranked section. It seems to have fizzled out or at least delegated into a much smaller circle than it used to be. I think it has a lot to do with how older charters have been phasing out of osu!mania, but there are still people (primarily in Asian circles) taking influence from those older mappers or were taught by them.

It's obviously hard to summarise the charting meta of one giant rhythm game because every circle is so segregated, but the circles that I've mostly been observing focus a lot on "technical" charting that either focus a lot on visual emphasis (through the use of LNs, minijacks, and grace notes particularly, and bursts to a smaller extent), and/or enforcing a very strict sense of consistency through very consistent use of the same types of chords for specific sounds/types of percussion throughout. A lot of charts in that circle utilise a lot of LN emphasis to accentuate more details in the song as well. The charts in general are also relatively lightly layered if you take out the LNs in the charts. Their song choice has been more or less the same over the past few years though.

Dump charting in that circle follows very similar principles of trying to follow as many details as possible through the use of broken rhythms (e.g. bursts, gallops, and grace notes) rather than continuous rhythms.

I personally dislike that circle's style of mapping mostly because I think they focus way too much on visual emphasis in almost every capacity (dump charting or not) and way too little on how a chart plays, many patterns end up feeling as if they're too broken to play through or they lack the appropriate emphasis required to accent some rhythm kinaesthetically. There seems to be an absurd emphasis over how a chart looks and how it's structured rather than how a chart is played, far more than any other community. I do think that a lot of it has to do with the average skill level of a charter in that community (not all that high), but I'm not sure. Regardless, I can't say that that criticism is particular to that o!m charting circle.

That said, the o!m community is indeed pretty shitty because of the number of really dumb and occasionally malicious young sheltered people with anime avatars. This also includes some of the charting community. The groomers don't help too!

I do think that there are a lot of valid reasons to dislike osu!mania in general, either as an engine, as a community (or the people who are higher up), or in terms of charting approach in general. In general I do find the interface of just uploading a chart for people to try to be the most convenient part of it all and is my main reason for creating content for osu!mania.

choof 06-30-2021 12:20 PM

serious response

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiosna (Post 4763382)
The o!m charting meta primarily hasn't been boring farm bait garbage in years barring a small circle of people who make content for the ranked section.

that's one of the issues imo, o!m's scoring system kinda necessitates the kinds of charts that are easy to farm. if your chart is not deemed worthy enough to be ranked, there is far less reason to play it. that'll dictate the meta in some way. unless o!m players are jaded about pp now and don't give a shit about it anymore lol

Quote:

It's obviously hard to summarise the charting meta of one giant rhythm game because every circle is so segregated, but the circles that I've mostly been observing focus a lot on "technical" charting that either focus a lot on visual emphasis (through the use of LNs, minijacks, and grace notes particularly, and bursts to a smaller extent), and/or enforcing a very strict sense of consistency through very consistent use of the same types of chords for specific sounds/types of percussion throughout. A lot of charts in that circle utilise a lot of LN emphasis to accentuate more details in the song as well. The charts in general are also relatively lightly layered if you take out the LNs in the charts. Their song choice has been more or less the same over the past few years though.

Dump charting in that circle follows very similar principles of trying to follow as many details as possible through the use of broken rhythms (e.g. bursts, gallops, and grace notes) rather than continuous rhythms.
tbqh this kinda sounds like the same "artistic" evolution of charts that stpemaina saw, may b interested in looking at some of the better ones that you can think of

Quote:

I personally dislike that circle's style of mapping mostly because I think they focus way too much on visual emphasis in almost every capacity (dump charting or not)
and way too little on how a chart plays many patterns end up feeling as if they're too broken to play through or they lack the appropriate emphasis required to accent some rhythm kinaesthetically. There seems to be an absurd emphasis over how a chart looks and how it's structured rather than how a chart is played, far more than any other community. I do think that a lot of it has to do with the average skill level of a charter in that community (not all that high), but I'm not sure. Regardless, I can't say that that criticism is particular to that o!m charting circle.
generally I think there should be a balance of aesthetics and playability, especially if the chart is a technical one (as in more directly adheres to the music). with a dump I'd say there's more wiggle room and kinda depends on the charter's intent (see putaria). but if I can't play your dump because of some dumb patterns it better be fun as fuck to watch

Quote:

In general I do find the interface of just uploading a chart for people to try to be the most convenient part of it all and is my main reason for creating content for osu!mania.
ye that's pretty convenient, I've been doing the stepmania file sharing business for too long I suppose

Mahou 06-30-2021 05:03 PM

I don't necessarily think o!m is really that bad of a game - especially when it brought some players over to etterna as well. If anything, that's a blessing in disguise.