Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 04-26-2015 08:57 PM

Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 153: Karuki Zamen Kuri No Hana by Shiina Ringo (Album Choice: Lord of Sushi)

I've always prefered coffee.

Best Track: ha
Rating: 2/10

rayword45 04-26-2015 10:45 PM

Day 154: In Absentia by Porcupine Tree (Album Choice: noname219)

I am currently sweltering in a car in the middle of a parking lot with no water. Somebody save me. My battery is running oh so low. Guess I'll listen anyways.

A good chunk of this album is prog metal which sounds meh.

And another good chunk sounds like a meh version of Grandaddy.

IT'S TOO HOT IN HERE.

Best Track: Collapse The Light Into Earth
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 04-27-2015 04:59 PM

Day 155: Immunity by Jon Hopkins (Album Choice: Trogdor!!!)

Music for airplanes. Or so I hope.

That was okay dance music. Maybe better with the 3rd relisten.

Best Track: Immunity
Rating: 6.5/10

Surt 04-27-2015 07:19 PM

Have a few suggestions:

かめりあ (Camellia) - [diffraction]
Metome - Phreatic Surface
mouse on the keys - an anxious object
Azargabra - Zebrafish
t+pazolite - 異聞伝承アラカルト (Ibun densho A la carte)
Arts The Beatdoctor - Lost Track of Time; Unreleased 2002-2012 (highly recommend for nighttime listening)
Caravan Palace - Panic
Hifana - 24H (spotify version is missing a track)

rayword45 04-27-2015 10:15 PM

Day 155: Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk

Stuck in a cramped car again with spine problems from sitting too much.

I almost wrote album choice then realized this is my own choice. Soon I'm gonna listen to the Grandaddy discography minus The Sophtware Slump.

This album mostly sucked. No good hooks like The Model, thus any attempts at pop songs were ass (making the whole first side redundant). Nothing really atmospheric, and things got quite repetitive. A disappointment.

Best Track: Franz Schubert
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 04-30-2015 06:12 PM

Day 156: Swag Ain't Cheap by Young Daquan

OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST MIXTAPE I'VE EVER HEARD HOLY SHIT EVERYONE NEEDS TO DOWNLOAD THIS OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AMAZING DOWNLOAD IT NOW OH MY GOD THOSE BEATS OH MY GOD THOSE LYRICS OH MY GOD THEM FEATURES OH MY GOD THAT FLOW

EVERYBODY DOWNLOAD NOW YOU WON'T REGRET IT

THIS IS SO GODDAMN GOOD ITS MAKING MY MIND EXPLODE AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BEST TRACK: ALL OF THEM
RATING: 10/10

koga939 05-1-2015 03:34 AM

This is fascinating. Even more enjoyable is that I read these in the voice of Yahtzee from the Escapist: with an Australian accent and speech at 900 mph.
If you need more albums, I'll try to scrounge some up some suggestions.

rayword45 05-2-2015 01:46 PM

Day 158: Frances The Mute by The Mars Volta (Album Choice: Tokzic)

You already know this band. On that note, I've never listened to At The Drive-In.

Holy crap this is a stupid album. I've read about how serious and pompous these guys are, so what the hell? This whole thing is so over-the-top I can't imagine anyone would act pretentious over this. The bombastic instruments, pretentious Morrison-the-poet lyrics, and the "experimental" moments of dead space and airy noise that take up A FULL THIRD of every song.

Some parts of the last song sound like Shpongle so that's a plus. But overall, eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh...

Best Track: The first part of the last song of which I don't wanna remember the title
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 05-2-2015 09:24 PM

Day 159: Beat The Champ by The Mountain Goats

I really need to do a better job of staying up to date...

On another note, I'm in a bizarre state of melancholic optimism. Or bittersweet contentment. Or sanguine dejection. Whichever contradiction sounds the most pretentious/poetic. And while Pink Moon is still working as great as ever, I wanna give the new album of one of my favorite artists a chance and this is a great mood to do so.

This was a food album. No just kidding, it's an album about wrestling. I don't give half a shit about wrestling, and I also don't think this is a good album for sad happiness (I'm lazy) but it's a good album nonetheless, although I still prefer the lo-fi albums.

Best Track: Hair Match
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 05-3-2015 06:46 PM

Day 160: Watermusic by William Basinski

Music.
Study music.
Very pretty study music.
This album is one hour of very pretty study music.
I am currently studying and wanted some study music, this album is one hour of very pretty study music.
My AP Computer Science teacher is useless and I need to teach myself rudimentary Java by this Thursday so I am currently studying and wanted some study music, this album is one hour of very pretty study music.
My AP Computer Science teacher is useless and I need to teach myself rudimentary Java by this Thursday so I am currently studying and wanted some study music, this album is one hour of very pretty study music, but also I want to catch up with the works of Basinski and this album is easy to find on YouTube and doesn't seem to feature much movement, but I don't care about movement because this is a gorgeous 60 minutes I am done talking in powers.

Best Track: Man, that was a shitty review gimmick.
Rating: 7/10 (I am not some ambient fanatic)

rayword45 05-4-2015 10:09 PM

Day 161: Cascade by William Basinski

What's the chance I'll be able to teach myself enough Java in 5 days to pass an AP test knowing nearly nothing? Damned useless teachers.

This will hopefully make great study music. I do need to stay more up to date.

It's not bad study music at all. But it honestly doesn't do much with its time. The ending after 35 minutes of repetition feels like it should be more cathartic than it is.

Still, enjoyable enough. I liked it more than Nocturnes.

Best Track: The last 5 minutes?

TheRapingDragon 05-5-2015 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4308540)
Day 154: In Absentia by Porcupine Tree

As much as I love Porcupine Tree and In Absentia, I can't deny that this was the start of the decline in quality. I was sort of happy that Steven Wilson decided to put them on hiatus when he did, rather than continue to release substandard albums. You should check out his latest solo album, it's the best thing he's released in years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4310570)
Day 158: Frances The Mute by The Mars Volta

Holy crap this is a stupid album.

I agree that some of the outros are overlong but the album as a whole is spectacular. I'd put it in their top three releases alongside De-Loused In The Comatorium and Noctourniquet. Then again, The Mars Volta are a band who many people either love or hate so I can understand if you don't like it, but that doesn't make it a stupid album.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4310570)
On that note, I've never listened to At The Drive-In.

You should. Very different sound from The Mars Volta. More of a punk-rock vibe about many of their songs.

Then there is Omar's solo stuff, most of which is also amazing, though if you dislike Frances The Mute I can't see you liking much of it. Maybe give the album Xenophanes a try?

rayword45 05-6-2015 04:07 PM

Day 162: Innerspeaker by Tame Impala

Dude, these painkillers are awesome. This album pales in comparison to both these painkillers and Lonerism. But it's superior to the feeling of dread I have for AP tests and the post-operation pain.

So I guess I enjoyed it. Excited to see these guys live.

Best Track: Jeremy's Storm

Jonlovesddr 05-6-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4310936)
day 160: Watermusic by william basinski

my ap computer science teacher is useless and i need to teach myself rudimentary java by this thursday so i am currently studying and wanted some study music, this album is one hour of very pretty study music.
My ap computer science teacher is useless and i need to teach myself rudimentary java by this thursday so i am currently studying and wanted some study music, this album is one hour of very pretty study music, but also i want to catch up with the works of basinski and this album is easy to find on youtube and doesn't seem to feature much movement, but i don't care about movement because this is a gorgeous 60 minutes i am done talking in powers.

Best track: Man, that was a shitty review gimmick.
Rating: 7/10 (i am not some ambient fanatic)

why does everyone have the cool ap exams except me

rayword45 05-10-2015 04:00 PM

Day 163: Michigan by Sufjan Stevens

This album is a lot less bombastic than Illinois.

That's a bad thing. Though it's not as mawkish as Carrie & Lowell it still gets a bit annoying with the constant whispery atmosphere for 67 minutes. 67 goddamned minutes. And it's a downward curve of quality on this album, getting less interesting with each song after the first half, perhaps excluding the last song. I haven't heard it yet but that's the song that's coming next. Yeah that's pretty decent. Not an album saver but pretty nice closer at least.

I like it better when he sounds like a folkier Zappa. If he's gonna be quiet, cut the album in half. It started super pretty but after Romulus I just wanted it to end.

Best Track: The Upper Peninsula

rayword45 05-11-2015 10:10 PM

Day 164: Stands for Decibels by The dBs

And I thought Sufjan Stevens had ugly cover art. From what I can tell, the dBs were a group of aging men who decided they wanted to record some power pop one day in hopes of falling into obscurity followed by a rediscovering by future bands, but they didn't get that, because nobody in the band is as talented as Chris Bell or as volatile as Alex Chilton. It's basically 4 copies of Jody Stephens in their late 30s who are all colorblind. This is how I gauge the album artwork. Seriously, it's hideous.

As for the actual music, the first song may be one of the catchiest power pop songs I've ever heard. However, the remainder of the first side is absolutely awful, like a corny 80s attempt at snarky White Album emulation. The second side starts out almost as awful but quickly turns into a much better album with 4 songs more than half as good as the first song.

I would wish for a whole album of Black and Whites but no band could ever pull that off without being super boring. Still, lower points for that awful first side.

Best Track: Black and White
Rating: 5/10 (The best song is like a 9/10 while the rest of the first half is a 3 at best)

rayword45 05-12-2015 07:22 AM

Day 165: Philosophy Of The World by The Shaggs

If you know this band, good for you. If you don't, know that they suck.

What am I doing with my life? I'm sitting here with a dying phone battery in this pungent coffee shop. The aroma of this place is overpowering, I can't imagine working here 8 hours a day. But then again, these people are leading more productive lives than me. Is my life productive? I've helped reform my entire school district, I've performed small size concerts in actual venues, I've experienced more in my life than many people twice my age, and I still feel unaccomplished. Perhaps I have some kind of complex. Or maybe I need to get out more.

Man, what is wrong with me? I have no real friends. Fuck all these fake people that use me for whatever crazy shit they need done, or these detached people whom will have a lunch but I can't call them more than an acquaintance. Where is my life going? I have no people. I hate everyone, the people that wanna be my friend I despise, I want more out of my life.

What is the future? Will I ever get a real job? Will I make a solid living? Will I have a family? Will my dreams die with the years? Will I die old or young? Where is life taking me?

Hey, this is the ULTIMATE soundtrack for a nervous breakdown. Don't think I'll ever sincerely listen to it again.

Best Track: All of them
Rating: 1/10

rayword45 05-12-2015 08:19 AM

Day 166: Blank Banshee 1 by Blank Banshee

I have public restroom phobia.

This album is much more consistent and engaging than Blank Banshee 0. I have little doubt that it's the extra ambient influence and lessening of sugarpop sound that's to thank.

Screw whoever is hired to clean public toilets.

Best Track: Eco Zones
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 05-12-2015 08:59 AM

Day 166: ClearSkies™ by PrismCorp Virtual Enterprises

Quick summary of my opinion. Everything before Narayani Falls sounds either too jokey or too video game like. After that it's a decent tape but drags on too long.

Why am I reviewing so much vaporwave?

Best Track: The duo of Narayani Falls and Cascadia

rayword45 05-17-2015 07:59 PM

Day 168: Transilvanian Hunger by Darkthrone

I never really got the chance to listen to this one, because I never felt there was a necessary or fitting setting. Now, however, I turned my phone screen black and white and I'm reading shitty Creepypastas. This shall be okay.

And it was. A bit samey, overall okay.

Best Track: Title Track