Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Geocaching??? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=149048)

drizzleRomanceGirl 04-4-2018 09:46 AM

Geocaching???

I'm sorry but geocaching is one of the weirdest activities I have ever heard of. Who goes to random locations around the world and finds these hidden boxes to record each one you find and sometimes replaces things in the box for equal or greater value?

First of all, it sounds dangerous because you don't know who could have put that box there and the box could be in a dangerous place.

Second of all, you have to install an app or GPS device on your phone to find them. Honestly it sounds like some weird club that's trying to brainwash you. I know I"m being over-dramatic but seriously.

This is the definition of geocaching: "the recreational activity of hunting for and finding a hidden object by means of GPS coordinates posted on a website." Am I the only one who thinks this sounds fishy?

Has anyone else ever heard of geocaching?

rushyrulz 04-4-2018 10:22 AM

Re: Geocaching???

It's basically a large scale scavenger hunt. It's not that weird, just a hobby some people have.

Kinda paranoid of you to be worried about an app brainwashing you.

drizzleRomanceGirl 04-4-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4615673)
It's basically a large scale scavenger hunt. It's not that weird, just a hobby some people have.

Kinda paranoid of you to be worried about an app brainwashing you.

oh my gosh i was exaggerating

ShadoWolfe 04-4-2018 11:06 AM

Geocaching is awesome!

I got into it for awhile a few years back after accidentally stumbling over a cache at a hidden beach behind SF's main ones. Didn't have all the nifty apps and GPS trackers they have now, so it was more about going to a spot and following the clues to find the treasure. Super fun, but gets a lil repetitive after you've done it a few times.

drizzleRomanceGirl 04-4-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe (Post 4615678)
Geocaching is awesome!

I got into it for awhile a few years back after accidentally stumbling over a cache at a hidden beach behind SF's main ones. Didn't have all the nifty apps and GPS trackers they have now, so it was more about going to a spot and following the clues to find the treasure. Super fun, but gets a lil repetitive after you've done it a few times.

oh

rushyrulz 04-4-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzleRomanceGirl (Post 4615675)
oh my gosh i was exaggerating

tfw you use words like "Honestly" but then speak in hyperbole immediately thereafter

Dinglesberry 04-4-2018 11:26 AM

id go and take the stuff out of the cache and never put it back >:D

ShadoWolfe 04-4-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4615681)
id go and take the stuff out of the cache and never put it back >:D

Well this is the idea. You can keep something as a memento if you like, so long as you replace it with something meaningful. The caches I've seen have all had a ton of stuff in them, though, because serious geocachers just go to leave a bunch of knickknacks and don't even take anything out.

ShadoWolfe 04-4-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4615680)
tfw you use words like "Honestly" but then speak in hyperbole immediately thereafter

Tfw words don't mean what they mean

drizzleRomanceGirl 04-4-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4615680)

but i said i was being over-dramatic in that same post

mellonxcollie 04-4-2018 11:41 AM

I've heard of some very weird things being found in geocaches, placed there as pranks. but I don't think they're dangerous per se. As long as you're not afraid to stumble upon some potentially erm niche things haha

drizzleRomanceGirl 04-4-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4615685)
I've heard of some very weird things being found in geocaches, placed there as pranks. but I don't think they're dangerous per se. As long as you're not afraid to stumble upon some potentially erm niche things haha

oh x.x

ShadoWolfe 04-4-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4615685)

Hahaha oh man if I get what you're referring to then that's both hilarious and mildly disturbing. I guess there's more than one way to leave something meaningful lmao

Dinglesberry 04-4-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe (Post 4615682)
Well this is the idea. You can keep something as a memento if you like, so long as you replace it with something meaningful. The caches I've seen have all had a ton of stuff in them, though, because serious geocachers just go to leave a bunch of knickknacks and don't even take anything out.

i think you misunderstood me, i meant i would take the stuff out and leave nothing

Cavernio 04-4-2018 11:59 AM

Geocaching is neat. I've considered doing it. Out in new brunswick there are lots of caches that are in beautiful nature spots, or so I'm given to understand, things you need to hike or canoe to get to. I like scavenger hunts.
I've never done it though. I've been at geocached spots though. There was one at the top of Mt. Bailey in Carleton Provincial Park. The reward is the hike and the view, (its quite pretty on a cloudless day, picturesque) and also you get the little thrill of checking off a spot you've seen.

If you view sharing things with strangers as unsafe in general, of course geocaching is gonna sound sketchy as shit.

Celirra 04-4-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzleRomanceGirl (Post 4615684)
but i said i was being over-dramatic in that same post

You could argue this is the same line of thought as saying "Not to be racist but...", followed by a racist comment

Anyways geocaching seems really cool, anything that encourages outdoor exploration in a (at least relatively) safe manner should always be encouraged in this day and age

Dinglesberry 04-4-2018 12:08 PM

open teh geocache, grab teh drugs, leave the money in the cache... ez drug deals

Cavernio 04-4-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4615688)
i think you misunderstood me, i meant i would take the stuff out and leave nothing

unsurprising you'd say that because its a real dick move

(unless people are the geocache, 'stuff' is your identity, then its a pretty awesome thing because you get to fill it with -whatever you want- :p)

drizzleRomanceGirl 04-4-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavernio (Post 4615690)
Geocaching is neat. I've considered doing it. Out in new brunswick there are lots of caches that are in beautiful nature spots, or so I'm given to understand, things you need to hike or canoe to get to. I like scavenger hunts.
I've never done it though. I've been at geocached spots though. There was one at the top of Mt. Bailey in Carleton Provincial Park. The reward is the hike and the view, (its quite pretty on a cloudless day, picturesque) and also you get the little thrill of checking off a spot you've seen.

If you view sharing things with strangers as unsafe in general, of course geocaching is gonna sound sketchy as shit.

it's not just sharing things with strangers, it's also having boxes all over the world in secret places that you have to use an app or find hidden clues to find and the fact that there's this new secret hobby introduced about 20 years ago that people love doing

gold stinger 04-4-2018 02:16 PM

I've been geocaching multiple times, since my father had a mid-life crisis with geocaching being a sport for him for a dozen years or so.

I think the greatest appeal for geocaching has got to be that, most geocaching locations are located on rather active trails or bike paths through woodland areas. The geocache in itself acts as an 'easter egg' so to say, that would be otherwise excruciatingly hard to find without any sort of hints or assistance in finding it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavernio (Post 4615690)

The strangest thing I found in a geocache is an unused, wrapped condom. Besides that, plenty of hot wheels cars, small figurines, dolls, a laser pointer or two (with still working batteries), old coins, etc. Most geocaches are always accompanied with a small notebook ledger and a pencil as well to record the date and time at which you found it, as well as your name.