Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

choof 06-25-2016 06:27 PM

Re: Read My Reviews

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4427603)
Day 316: Klexos EP by Rø (Album Choice: choof)

Hey, it made me study, so that's an automatic plus one. These drones are all rather bubbly in texture almost like Basinski's Watermusic. Very pleasurable stuff to listen to. A little more variance would be nice, but I suppose some appreciate more homogeneity in their ambient.

Best Track: To me it really just sounded like one track
Rating: 7/10

oh yeah I totally forgot I asked you to do this lol
thanks bub, nice to see that you can hear the basinski influence

rayword45 06-26-2016 09:13 AM

Day 329: Terminal Tower by Pere Ubu

I wasn't lying when I said I needed to listen to it.

I had a pretty decent review written but lost it to a shitty phone. Let's make this succinct. This is more consistent than The Modern Dance mostly because it only features one aimless dicking piece. The rest of the songs are either rockers, boring "dark" songs or really fucked up pop. It's still not totally consistent but it's good.

Best Track: Final Solution

rayword45 07-2-2016 01:52 PM

Day 330: Friend and Foe by Menomena (Album Choice: Shikari)

Started off nice and strong but this one got old pretty fast. Good textures, decent songwriting but the whole thing is just a bit too samey.

Best Track: Muscle'n Flo
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 07-7-2016 05:33 PM

Day 331: Wildflower by The Avalanches

Shoot me because my trippy idiocy prefers this to Since I Left You .

Best Track: Colours
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 07-9-2016 09:29 AM

Day 332: Stalker by Sufjan Stevens

I still can't tell if this is real or not. But I can tell that it's FUCKING HORRIBLE. I love lo-fi music, I love amateurish music, I love garage rock, I love noise rock, I listen to the music of teenagers on DXM and I THINK THIS IS HORRIBLE. I understand that "The Definitive Album" was a joke whether or not this is real, but Jesus fucking Christ this sounds like the product of a paraplegic trying to play 3 instruments at once using his feet, none of which he actually knows how to use, while singing lyrics he wrote to the girl he wants to hatefuck.

Belongs back in the dumpster.

Best Track: None
Rating: 1/10

Spenner 07-9-2016 11:02 AM

You got through all of Rifts good job l0l

Nice reviews thus far.

rayword45 07-9-2016 09:00 PM

Day 333: Dub Housing by Pere Ubu

I was warned that I probably wouldn't like this one because I didn't like the more self-indulgent bits of The Modern Dance which is probably why I put this one off for so long.

Boy, I'm glad people were wrong. I enjoy this at least as much as The Modern Dance if not more. The rockers are less based in surf and punk and instead are full of weird, creative ideas. Navvy is a joyous satirical ditty loaded with energy, On The Surface is a pop anomaly, Caligari's Mirror is one of the most unique and hyperbolic quiet-loud-quiet songs I've ever heard and I Will Wait is a warped anthem. Most of the rest of the songs are much more subdued, and honestly sound like they're trying to be spooky but really aren't. On that note of negativity, they're infinitely more enjoyable than the experiments from the debut besides maybe Thriller! because they all sound like they're trying to portray a legitimate atmosphere, not some weird stupid art-fart-postmodern-postgood bullshit like Sentimental Journey.

Definitely worth relistens.

Best Track: Navvy

rayword45 07-10-2016 12:42 PM

Day 334: A Love Supreme by John Coltrane (Album Choice: Dan W.)

I may not be good at reviewing jazz but I'll keep doing it anyways. Actually I'm not good at writing reviews as a whole when I put little effort into it but who cares?

This is really two pieces, not four. Compared to Kind Of Blue, probably the closest album I've reviewed, this actually does cook rather than bore. In its freeform structure you can hear real soul in these instruments with a very laidback, cool vibe. Bursts of energy pepper throughout, but the whole experience is very smooth. It's not as bursty or energetic as The Clown but its good nonetheless.

Wow this review was just a bunch of comparisons.

Best Track: The second side
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 07-15-2016 10:35 PM

Day 335: Ujubasajuba by Kairon; IRSE! (Album Choice: HitlerWasRight)

I hate it when people think they're funny yet they're just tired.

I find it funny that the singer is named Niko and I can't tell if they're a man or woman in certain parts of this album. Otherwise, this basically sounds kinda like a post-rock version of slightly post-Isn't Anything My Bloody Valentine. I can get lost in these long song structures, which are hypnotic yet dynamic.

And like Loveless the rest of the album is still very good but absolutely nothing touches Valorians.

Okay back to the college grind.

Best Track: Valorians
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 07-16-2016 12:06 AM

Day 336: Wrong by Nomeansno (Album Choice: Dvaerak7Korgo)

A minor dilemma: I'm trying to binge this college work so I can enjoy my summer a little bit more with my two jobs and volunteer work but at the same time I feel like this album deserves a full review with actual effort put into it. What to do, what to do...

Okay, let's focus on the college work and just listen to it twice. Maybe I'll be able to write more that way.

I haven't even kissed a girl in a full year now. What the fuck why am I so pathetic?

Actually I'm postponing this one for the time being. Please ignore everything I wrote above.

Day 336: Infinity by Cloakroom (Album Choice: Dvaerak7Korgo)

I just listened to a shoegaze album but this one is fundamentally different in that it is

A. Emo
B. Concise
C. Not nearly as good
D. Uh, hi-fi?

On second thought, I'm struggling to think of this as shoegaze. The chime-y guitar parts certainly aren't, and the fuzzy ones are way too crunchy and not ethereal enough.

None of this matters.

Best Track: Bending
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 07-17-2016 11:42 PM

Day 337: Wrong by Nomeansno (Album Choice: Dvaerak7Korgo)

hey guys this album was good and im gonna listen again also idc about writing a good review lololol fuck college work already

Best Track: The Tower
Rating: 9/10

Deadlyx39 07-18-2016 08:42 AM

Spicy meme

choof 07-25-2016 02:45 PM

hey, psychopath records just signed a new artist and you should listen to her new ep

rayword45 07-27-2016 11:46 PM

Day 338: Krill by Krill

So I've decided that I'm probably gonna continue to write occasional reviews (same pace I'm currently at) after I hit 365, because it's nice to listen to more music. Anyways, coming back to my hometown scene to appreciate this band some more. Posthumous EP release. Let's do this one song-by-song.

Meat - A slab of pop perfection right here. These guys could've been big. 2/2
Jubilee - Mathy riff rock mixed with emotion and slabs of noise walls. A joyous 4 minutes. 2/2
The Void - Attempted Swans copy? Goes from mindlessly repetitious riffing and boring structures for the first 5 minutes, then explodes into absolute glory. What once felt like lazy songwriting turned out to be what MOST post-rockers (hi there Michael Gira) strive to write. 2/2
Happy - Energetic punk anthem. Like the last song, it meanders here and there but that explosion at the end (even better than The Void's!) makes for a very, very strong 2/2
Billy - The longest song on the EP, this one definitely meanders too much. It's a bit less repetitive than Tiger but lacks that bubbly atmosphere and the ending leaves a lot to be desired. 1/2

I don't think these guys ever performed ANY of these songs live. So fresh music, yay! The sound of this EP is the sound of a band who was just getting better and better. A Distant Fist Unclenching had some boring parts in places but was loaded with gems. This EP is just gem after gem after gem. A shame these guys broke up, maybe one day I'll see these songs played live.

And yes, I do like the singer's voice.

Best Track: Happy
Rating: 8.5/10

MixMasterLar 07-30-2016 07:42 PM

This still a thing?

This is probably the next CD I am going to buy. Already know it and enjoy it but hell you can review it too.

Also listen to Foreigner's Double Vision because holy shit Foreigner is still really good guys I swear

rayword45 07-30-2016 10:58 PM

Day 339: Homeworks by Evil Needle (Album Choice: korny)

Synthy Sunshine is atmospheric bliss while still being chill enough to maybe rap to. Techno gorgeousness. The chill, boom bap atmosphere permeating throughout this release in spades is nice and the bleep-bloop tracks add flair. Very good contrast.

Red and Simple doesn't sound like it'd make for a very good rap, nor does Heaven. What the fuck is this sunshine-y shit? That is NOT instrumental hip-hop, this is WAY more house than anything. Don't get me wrong I love house let's fucking dance. Genres are for losers. Last quarter of the album brings back that chill boom-bap shit.

The atmosphere is ever so slightly schizophrenic on this release, but I DEFINITELY have to get back to this one. I can hear the potential so well it hurts. And it's short so it's bingeable.

...Are these reviews even making SENSE anymore?

Best Track: Synthy Sunshine
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 08-8-2016 10:22 PM

Day 340: Ritual Spirit by Massive Attack

What the fuck were they thinking when they chose these features? They chose absolute nobodies that made every single song on this EP worse. If you're gonna be forced to choose nobodies due to a lack of budget, choose GOOD nobodies.

Like Take It There, that's the best song on the EP but the vocals sound like bootleg Serge Gainsbourg if he was famous for speedballs instead of alcohol.

Besides the vocals, this is pretty run of the mill dark trip-hop. I like the atmosphere but it's nothing I think deserves any real admiration.

Best Track: Take It There

IamMe90 08-10-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4459474)
Day 339: Homeworks by Evil Needle (Album Choice: korny)

Synthy Sunshine is atmospheric bliss while still being chill enough to maybe rap to. Techno gorgeousness. The chill, boom bap atmosphere permeating throughout this release in spades is nice and the bleep-bloop tracks add flair. Very good contrast.

Red and Simple doesn't sound like it'd make for a very good rap, nor does Heaven. What the fuck is this sunshine-y shit? That is NOT instrumental hip-hop, this is WAY more house than anything. Don't get me wrong I love house let's fucking dance. Genres are for losers. Last quarter of the album brings back that chill boom-bap shit.

The atmosphere is ever so slightly schizophrenic on this release, but I DEFINITELY have to get back to this one. I can hear the potential so well it hurts. And it's short so it's bingeable.

...Are these reviews even making SENSE anymore?

Best Track: Synthy Sunshine
Rating: 8/10

Nice choice by Korny. I love the shit out of Evil Needle, he's way too under the radar for how good his stuff is.

If you haven't listened to anything else by him, Mood is a great album.

too bad about the massive attack EP tho - I've been looking forward to listening to it but haven't gotten around to it yet.

rayword45 08-17-2016 09:28 AM

Day 341: Yank Crime by Drive Like Jehu (Album Choice: noname219)

I hope I can manage to do 24 more albums before my first college class. Looking through these reviews is kinda weird (like who the fuck reads their own book?) but I think I made it easier by never even trying in the first place. Now those 2013 reviews, ohoho I was a little self-congratulatory bastard back then. 15 and lonely, now I'm 18 and lonely. Whatever. It's interesting to see my slow (d)evolution over the years express itself in writing.

This is a true classic right here. Apparently it defined emo, except now emo sucks. What we have here instead of crybaby bullshit is a load of good skronky, angry punk tunes. This is what emo should be. Not My Chemical Bullet For My Suicide Squad or whatever the fuck.

Best Track: Here Comes The Rome Plows
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 08-20-2016 08:10 PM

Day 342: Finest Hour by Submotion Orchestra (Album Choice: WSCB)

This is not an orchestra. This is not dubstep. This is trip-hop. 7 members does not an orchestra make, Godspeed You! Black Emperor be god damned (and I'm sure I'm making a mistake or two somewhere in this sentence, somewhere).

I really don't understand why people these days feel like their albums need to be 60 minutes or longer. Especially with a genre as often repetitive as trip-hop, and your jazzy instrumentation does not make you all that unique.

I'm being an asshole, this isn't bad music at all, in fact it's quite hypnotic with its tasteful instrumentation, deep throbbing bass and sexy vocals. The problem is that they seem so keen on creating a dark psychedelic atmosphere that they pretty much let every song meld into one, and I'm not talking about gapless playback (which is not part of this album). Exceptions do exist in the title track and a couple of others to an extent but not really.

Nothing here is bad, nothing stands out, this is one hell of a slow burn but in the end it's all the same to me anyways. Man I fucking hate college homework.

Best Track: All Yours