Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums

Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stock Market Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=152255)

Travis_Flesher 12-27-2020 06:53 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat

stock market chit chat?
The City of London Corporation

mi40 12-28-2020 05:39 AM

clean energy & battery bubble smh

DaBackpack 12-28-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4741278)
dumb capitalist shit who gives a fuck

Poison- 12-28-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4753952)
clean energy & battery bubble smh

Agreed, but $PLUG and $BLNK have made me a lot of money, so I'll take it

mi40 12-28-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4753953)

the dollar is losing its value, people should care a little bit, not having assets or actively investing is a terrible move right now

also if you truly don't care about dumb capitalist shit then feel free to become the average american with less than $1000 in savings

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4753959)

as long as you get in early and pass the hot potato to somebody else, you're in the clear

anyways, i have some COST and SAP positions that i'm sitting on right now after closing out BABA for a fat loss on thursday. still don't want to touch memes, waiting to see if we get a tech pullback on PYPL/SQ/SHOP a bit more to reasonable levels that correlate with NQ 12200-12500 and i'll grab those.. if i were an investor i wouldn't grab apple at these levels either.

mi40 12-31-2020 02:14 PM

buy this $BABA dip

kommisar 01-9-2021 01:31 PM

This is just fun money for now because I can't invest big amounts yet, but I'm doing ok for a noob investor.

I had a unity stock when it first came out but panic sold it when it dropped like 20% after the first month (which was expected but hey) and I sort of regret now.

I don't have a very diverse portfolio cuz stocks I want are in the hundreds, but it's a start for now.

2x BILI 50.50% (Chinese youtube. Bilibili is doing well right now and has been for the past few months)
8x BTO 9.02% (Some gold company. This has lost me consistently lmao)
4x DTEA 2.07% (David's tea. Shopped here a lot but I recently sold most of my shares after some decent gains during xmas time)
10x RNW 38.71% (TransAlta Renewables, they say invest in what interests you so...clean energy. This is my longer term investment).

mi40 01-9-2021 01:34 PM

looking good my guy!!

Funnygurl555 01-9-2021 09:14 PM

mi40 can u teach an intro to investing for noobs class

Poison- 01-9-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4753959)

I'm up 201% on $PLUG now. Percentage wise it's not as much as I made on $BLNK (bought at $11, sold at $42), but the dollar amount is far more.

mi40 01-10-2021 03:49 AM

smallcap energy/battery companies are definitely in a bubble but props to you guys for riding it out.. i'm sticking to my boomerfolio since i'm scared of the bubble pop

mi40 01-10-2021 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4754590)
mi40 can u teach an intro to investing for noobs class

all in tesla and battery companies at sky high prices and get rewarded

Poison- 01-10-2021 12:28 PM

I'm going to rebalance my portfolio soon. I'll probably take the profit on PLUG. My risk is a little too high for my liking right now haha.
What's in your boomerfolio?

mi40 01-10-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4754604)
I'm going to rebalance my portfolio soon. I'll probably take the profit on PLUG. My risk is a little too high for my liking right now haha.
What's in your boomerfolio?

kinda overweight on banks but banks have been on a tear the past few months

GS/JPM for largecap banks
WTFC for my small bank
XOM for my oil position
FSLR for my solar
COST/BJ for my retail
lots of AMZN, but that's pretty much my only tech position

i'm looking to add PYPL on a nasdaq pullback.. and of course like 30% of my folio is SPY which i'm holding forever

mi40 01-10-2021 01:49 PM

as for options go i have 5x BABA 2022 250c, 50x BAC 2022 30c and 15x FSLR 6/18 110c

Funnygurl555 01-10-2021 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4754601)
all in tesla and battery companies at sky high prices and get rewarded

i am poor

mi40 01-10-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4754614)
i am poor

do anything but hold cash
probably just buy SPY shares or individual companies that you like, maybe stuff like amazon, google, microsoft, costco, etc

Tyson ultima 01-10-2021 07:39 PM

Back after a couple years to let you know to only hold enough cash to last you 3 to 6 months. Any cash you hold on you, you will lose to inflation.

Wayward Vagabond 01-11-2021 05:44 AM

I exclusively invest in SPACs

mi40 01-11-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4754639)
I exclusively invest in SPACs

chamath chads rise up
long leverage ATM calls at $10 and never lose

mi40 01-11-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson ultima (Post 4754622)
Back after a couple years to let you know to only hold enough cash to last you 3 to 6 months. Any cash you hold on you, you will lose to inflation.

equity is king brother, agree

Charu 01-11-2021 01:12 PM

I really should look into this myself

trumaestro 01-11-2021 02:31 PM

What are you guys using to invest? There are so many apps/sites. And do they generate tax slips? In Canada?

mi40 01-11-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumaestro (Post 4754657)
What are you guys using to invest? There are so many apps/sites. And do they generate tax slips? In Canada?

your brokerage should generate all tax slips & relevant documentation for you

i use td ameritrade for my main accounts and robinhood for penny spreads, canadian folks i'm not sure what they use. i know canadian dudes still trade/buy NYSE/NASDAQ stuff though

Funnygurl555 01-11-2021 08:09 PM

what do u recommend i use mi40

im thinking of putting in a couple hundred bucks to learn

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4754618)
do anything but hold cash
probably just buy SPY shares or individual companies that you like, maybe stuff like amazon, google, microsoft, costco, etc

yeah im trying not to. i was watching some graham stephen vids a couple months back and that steered me away from doing that as a money strat. but i was building up an emergency fund so aside from the ~super smol~ 401k i have thru work all my money's in a savings acc rn. but i'm nearly done with that i guess

Wayward Vagabond 01-11-2021 09:40 PM

Serious question now. My fiencee's mom wants to invest 7k and idk where to start

Tyson ultima 01-11-2021 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4754681)
Serious question now. My fiencee's mom wants to invest 7k and idk where to start

If you want low risk growth they can invest in index funds. Anything like from Vanguard such as VTSAX, VFIAX, etc. etc. Personally I put 6k in my Roth IRA around october I believe and have seen a 700$ increase in my portfolio so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-53ZTJmDUA I felt this covered the topic pretty well

mi40 01-12-2021 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4754677)
what do u recommend i use mi40

im thinking of putting in a couple hundred bucks to learn

yeah im trying not to. i was watching some graham stephen vids a couple months back and that steered me away from doing that as a money strat. but i was building up an emergency fund so aside from the ~super smol~ 401k i have thru work all my money's in a savings acc rn. but i'm nearly done with that i guess

basically what tyson ultima said. low risk, low expense fee, tax shielded gains on the roth is a good place to start.

mi40 01-12-2021 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4754681)

does she want to invest long term or short term? two very different things. if that 7k is not disposable money, i would recommend maxing the roth and 401k contrib and then buying index funds or a mix of index funds + blue chip companies she likes for a long term investment

this means VTSAX (world's largest fund) or SPX/QQQ, etc

mi40 01-12-2021 04:51 PM

some loss on my BABA today, closed my FSLR positions and still holding all my bank/oil positions

feels good man

Wayward Vagabond 01-12-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4754710)
does she want to invest long term or short term? two very different things. if that 7k is not disposable money, i would recommend maxing the roth and 401k contrib and then buying index funds or a mix of index funds + blue chip companies she likes for a long term investment

this means VTSAX (world's largest fund) or SPX/QQQ, etc

She's retired already and I want to say half of that 7k she's okay with losing. For someone in her situation what do you recommend?

mi40 01-12-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4754734)
She's retired already and I want to say half of that 7k she's okay with losing. For someone in her situation what do you recommend?

sony (SNE) has solid balance sheets and is reasonably priced in a currently overvalued market environment in terms of PE ratio, so for a tech position i would get sony

banks like JPM/GS are also still undervalued compared to the rest of the market, and so are oil giants like chevron and exxon (CVX, XOM).. the oil giants also pay out chunky dividends.

for growing/smallcap companies i personally wouldn't recommend any right now since it's such a frothy environment right now.. like everything is up 200% in the past few months and the whole indice (RTY, IWM) is up 110% from the march lows which is unheard of a major indice..

as always she and you should also do your research, you'll find some stuff you might like !

Poison- 01-12-2021 09:00 PM

PLUG just keeps going up. I don't know when to sell hahaha

mi40 01-13-2021 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4754746)
PLUG just keeps going up. I don't know when to sell hahaha

sell little bits at a time if you're uncomfortable
otherwise i'd just get your cost basis back and let the rest ride if you're ok with that, set a stop loss that trails upwards as well

Wayward Vagabond 01-13-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4754739)
sony (SNE) has solid balance sheets and is reasonably priced in a currently overvalued market environment in terms of PE ratio, so for a tech position i would get sony

banks like JPM/GS are also still undervalued compared to the rest of the market, and so are oil giants like chevron and exxon (CVX, XOM).. the oil giants also pay out chunky dividends.

for growing/smallcap companies i personally wouldn't recommend any right now since it's such a frothy environment right now.. like everything is up 200% in the past few months and the whole indice (RTY, IWM) is up 110% from the march lows which is unheard of a major indice..

as always she and you should also do your research, you'll find some stuff you might like !

She did this, thanks!

mi40 01-13-2021 02:00 PM

*U.S. Expected to Allow Americans to Continue to Invest in Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu, Sources Say
$BABA

up 70% on my BABA 2022 now. +5% move today, expecting BABA to recover to 260 by march at least.

let's go boys, got me some extra fries to celebrate

Rebirth0 01-13-2021 04:57 PM

Bought Moderna about 6 weeks ago when it was under 100 a share. Watched it go up to 160 thinking it'll keep going. End up selling at 115 because it fell way too much.

I missed my opportunity ;_;

Bought some Peloton at 145 though and its up 8% today. Late to the party (last spring it was around 50/share), but there should be quite a bit of upside remaining

mi40 01-14-2021 09:03 PM

sold my BABA
added V, COST, AMD

Poison- 01-14-2021 09:20 PM

My three highest risk holdings all had really good days today. GME, BNGO and SCR all up over 20% on the day. Overall my portfolio was up 8.11%. I think that's the best day I've had since I started. Up 60% since when I started back in September

EDIT: Also sold PLUG

mi40 01-14-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4754844)
My three highest risk holdings all had really good days today. GME, BNGO and SCR all up over 20% on the day. Overall my portfolio was up 8.11%. I think that's the best day I've had since I started. Up 60% since when I started back in September

EDIT: Also sold PLUG

let's go boys! i would never touch GME and PLUG but grats on getting in on those early

Poison- 01-14-2021 09:34 PM

Haha yeah I wasn't willing to put a lot into GME. Only bought 35 shares at $16.88, so about $600. Up 136.43% as of close today ($806.05)

Frank Munoz 01-14-2021 09:38 PM

I finally stopped being lazy.
Started with QLI as it dipped heavy as expected. Maybe shoulda waited a little more cause now it's down another .50 but oh well.

I also got my eyes on MSCI but prolly won't do anything. Just imagining the what-ifs.

mi40 01-14-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Munoz (Post 4754847)
I finally stopped being lazy.
Started with QLI as it dipped heavy as expected. Maybe shoulda waited a little more cause now it's down another .50 but oh well.

I also got my eyes on MSCI but prolly won't do anything. Just imagining the what-ifs.

MSCI long term commons is fine i'm sure, i think there are better fin plays though just my 2c

QLI is that a chinese pharma IPO? smallcap too.. hope that works out for you

Frank Munoz 01-14-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4754848)
MSCI long term commons is fine i'm sure, i think there are better fin plays though just my 2c

QLI is that a chinese pharma IPO? smallcap too.. hope that works out for you

QLI is my "just for fun" funds so I won't feel too bad if it'sa bust. I hope..
Mind you I don't know a thing about stuff here, so harsh criticism is fine with me as this is literally my first play ever.

mi40 01-14-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Munoz (Post 4754849)
QLI is my "just for fun" funds so I won't feel too bad if it'sa bust. I hope..
Mind you I don't know a thing about stuff here, so harsh criticism is fine with me as this is literally my first play ever.

yeah i generally tend to stay away from ipos because there's a bunch of factors that determine the future price like.. market hype, lockup periods ending, institutional ownership (and whether they want to cash out) etc

MSCI is pretty random, i would've just gone with your usual financials like GS JPM BAC or fintech like SQ PYPL

kommisar 01-15-2021 09:34 AM

what's the word on index stocks vs EFTs in terms of return (and whether they're a good idea in general)? I'm hearing that indexes are better because they only trade once per day whereas EFTs are more volatile. I have RRSP contributions in Canada/USA/Worldwide equity index for long term

I added a bit of funds to my portfolio, gonna look into something else to dive into. I have my energy stock, tech, commodity, wondering if healthcare/blockchain is worth it in the short term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumaestro (Post 4754657)

I'm using Wealthsimple, I do believe they generate tax slips (especially since they're officially registered with federal compliance etc.) but I haven't looked yet. I'll have to soon with tax season approaching oop

mi40 01-15-2021 11:49 AM

index etfs are general market funds like SPY, QQQ, IWM, DIA that track a basket of stocks, weighted differently - basically they're the most popular ones, and when you say trade once a day you probably mean they rebalance

etfs in general are just a collection of a basket of stocks, like there are oil ETFs, semiconductor ETFs, communication stock ETFs, financials ETF, energy ETFs, blah blah, for people who want to focus on specific sectors/companies

as for specific sectors i'm not a market genius so i can't give any recommendations that mean anything BUT it's always good have a variety of stuff. of course you can gamble disposable income away on stupid meme shit can get rewarded (or get blown up).. you know, the kind of stuff you see on TV or wallstreetbets.

i would recommend starting off with basic ETFs like SPY QQQ and reading into different sectors over time

Poison- 01-15-2021 01:46 PM

I like having a mixture of real investments and stupid meme shit :cool:

mi40 01-15-2021 05:12 PM

red day today but i'm green 8-) feels great man.

Frank Munoz 01-19-2021 05:15 PM

⅘Steady climb up today(~12%)
Jumped off QLI as I've a feeling it's gonna go lower, then I'll jump back on.

DARE and FCEL are doing me good though!

(edit: aftermarket going crazy today)

mi40 01-19-2021 05:22 PM

yeah i'm up HUGE on alibaba and facebook today. +28k.

DARE and FCEL huh.. smallcap stuffs - be careful with those, always have an entry and exit

kommisar 01-19-2021 05:29 PM

aye good day today in general. I'm a bit worried about the Canadian market with Biden cutting keystone xl pretty much tomorrow. I have some stuff in Canadian renewable energy so we'll see how that's affected.

mi40 01-19-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 4754977)
aye good day today in general. I'm a bit worried about the Canadian market with Biden cutting keystone xl pretty much tomorrow. I have some stuff in Canadian renewable energy so we'll see how that's affected.

when uncertain, set a stop or sell and see if it drops
if it sells off, you avoided losses
if it flattens out or goes up, at least you didn't lose money!

mi40 01-20-2021 12:00 PM

up 12k on Visa and Costco today.

Poison- 01-20-2021 04:40 PM

Nothing exciting happened with my portfolio today. Biggest mover was MSFT at 3.65%.

I'm rebalancing my portfolio right now and looking for new positions to take

mi40 01-20-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4754997)
Nothing exciting happened with my portfolio today. Biggest mover was MSFT at 3.65%.

I'm rebalancing my portfolio right now and looking for new positions to take

tech lead the move upwards today, so the MSFT biggest mover makes sense

EOD: +21k on FB/V/COST, -1k on AMD

Poison- 01-20-2021 05:39 PM

Is $21k a big move for your account? Literally the size of my portfolio in one day haha

mi40 01-20-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4754999)
Is $21k a big move for your account? Literally the size of my portfolio in one day haha

it's a decent sized move, i definitely have my -5k & -10k days from time to time

Frank Munoz 01-20-2021 08:29 PM

I was +20% this morning, -10% as of now lmao.
I'll set my stop orders this time >>
also yea mi40, moving $21k ina day! That's yearly salary to some congrats

mi40 01-21-2021 02:44 PM

another huge day for megacaps!
closed V at 207, closed FB at 272, added more COST at 361
sold a bunch of AMD 90p 1/29 for free money and added more AMD at 89.7
woop woop

mi40 01-22-2021 05:10 PM

closed all AMD puts on open for +60%, opened KO/PEP, closed all WMT positions, added some NOK/TM commons

Poison- 01-22-2021 06:06 PM

GME

mi40 01-22-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4755073)
GME

cool to see a VW style squeeze happen, it's actually not just GME, if you notice around 12pm a bunch of heavily shorted stocks went up at the same time - it was most likely a short fund (or a few of them) getting liquidated and being forced to close their positions at the same time

some examples include GME, BBBY, PLTR, AMC to name a few - their charts and volume profile look almost identical today

Poison- 01-22-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4755074)
cool to see a VW style squeeze happen, it's actually not just GME, if you notice around 12pm a bunch of heavily shorted stocks went up at the same time - it was most likely a short fund (or a few of them) getting liquidated and being forced to close their positions at the same time

some examples include GME, BBBY, PLTR, AMC to name a few - their charts and volume profile look almost identical today

I did notice that with AMC, but didn't see the it happened with the others too.

I know these things are very rare, but I don't see myself every taking the risk and taking a short position on anything haha

mi40 01-22-2021 07:00 PM

i still refuse to touch memes
GME 60c 0DTE was 0.02 at the low and was like 12.5 at the peak lmao.. 50000% gains

VisD 01-22-2021 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4755077)

I was considering buying into ETH last week lmao, didn't in the end

mi40 01-22-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisD (Post 4755078)

and it's 1225 as we speak

honestly as much as i hate missing out on moon meme missions.. it's really hard to actually sit down and go "yeah i'm going to put 50% of my entire portfolio into this meme"

like, what if it tanks? it takes a 200% gain to come back from a 50% loss, 300% from a 66% loss, etc..

VisD 01-22-2021 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4755080)
and it's 1225 as we speak

honestly as much as i hate missing out on moon meme missions.. it's really hard to actually sit down and go "yeah i'm going to put 50% of my entire portfolio into this meme"

like, what if it tanks? it takes a 200% gain to come back from a 50% loss, 300% from a 66% loss, etc..

Yeaah. The other thing is that it's also relatively hard to know when to call it quits with those. With something more "traditional" you can kind of gauge what a reasonable upside would be and when to take profits/losses. With this shit you're just like "lmao wonder what will happen tomorrow"

Wayward Vagabond 01-22-2021 09:50 PM

Big gains with cciv and clii. Didn't invest much but I made some money on them

kommisar 01-23-2021 04:52 AM

+60% on my chinese stocks this month, renewables went up this week as well despite concerns about Canadian energy. Index equity doing decent

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisD (Post 4755078)

I decided to be an edgelord and invest 40 stocks into a blockchain company that mainly mines ETH lmao. This is my meme pick

I'm still losing on my gold stocks I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses at this point.

mi40 01-23-2021 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 4755098)
+60% on my chinese stocks this month, renewables went up this week as well despite concerns about Canadian energy. Index equity doing decent

I decided to be an edgelord and invest 40 stocks into a blockchain company that mainly mines ETH lmao. This is my meme pick

I'm still losing on my gold stocks I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses at this point.

honestly in this market precious metals are so manipulated, it's better to just get gold miners instead of the actual gold stock

or put that gold stock money into new tech like ROKU or something

mi40 01-23-2021 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4755086)
Big gains with cciv and clii. Didn't invest much but I made some money on them

SPACs have been doing great in this meme market, i should get some at 10-11..

Rivaloo 01-23-2021 11:10 AM

Stocks always felt like shuffling money around to me and at best you get lucky or personally enjoy the craft of calculation for a decent return but I would think covid has been no exception to negative results...

mi40 01-23-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivaloo (Post 4755102)
Stocks always felt like shuffling money around to me and at best you get lucky or personally enjoy the craft of calculation for a decent return but I would think covid has been no exception to negative results...

it is in a way shuffling money around. but you want to take the money from the pockets of the impatient, into your pocket

gold stinger 01-23-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4755077)
GME 60c 0DTE was 0.02 at the low and was like 12.5 at the peak lmao.. 50000% gains

50k over 17 months clocked in yesterday. Been an absolute ride to watch the madlad over at /r/wallstreetbets

Rivaloo 01-23-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4755105)
it is in a way shuffling money around. but you want to take the money from the pockets of the impatient, into your pocket

You know actually that's a pretty good way of putting it, a testament to that explanation might be someone like me who tries it out and discovers they don't like it at which point my money becomes patient people's money xD gotta be in it for the long haul then

mi40 01-23-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4755106)
50k over 17 months clocked in yesterday. Been an absolute ride to watch the madlad over at /r/wallstreetbets

big balls to put a big chunk of their net liquidity into a play like that lol

Rebirth0 01-25-2021 12:00 PM

I've officially gotten back to the break even point on my Macys stock, that after the shutdown was down 70% at one point. Happy day. Probably selling

mi40 01-25-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebirth0 (Post 4755191)
I've officially gotten back to the break even point on my Macys stock, that after the shutdown was down 70% at one point. Happy day. Probably selling

smart move.

mi40 01-25-2021 03:28 PM

up 12% on my NOK commons
up 16% on KO/PEP leaps
down a bit on TM commons, don't care
no meme positions, don't care if market crashes
comfy