Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Bug Reports and Suggestions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Song Corrections Thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=128295)

noname219 01-9-2015 01:59 AM

Re: Song Corrections Thread

@ hi19hi19 : Thanks for that list (I've missed your post somehow). Didn't know so many of them. I have kept widgets songs for later but they will have their own category.

@ Xtreme2252 : Thanks for those. There's this whole debate of made-up genres vs real genres. I think it would be quite useful to make a poll to see everybody's opinion on that. Anyway, if you're interested, I have made this side-project a while ago : http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=135078. I'll cast your votes in the "Others" column unless you want to participate.

^ Screamo is the prime exemple of a genre that's been misused to death (here and outside FFR). Along with grunge. And post-rock.

bmah 01-9-2015 03:30 AM

Don't forget there's a heavy bias on people's knowledge of specific rock-related genres. Most users are not critical of other music genres because they probably aren't familiar with them, so it's important to note that bias. If there was to be a change for genres, it should change across the board, so I would like input from more than just metalheads please. That's simply my observations based on the feedback I hear on the particular songs that people are currently critical of.

People may also be surprised at what are "real" genres vs made up ones. You're probably thinking of commercially relevant genres, and if you choose to go that route, then you might as well give very sweeping generalizations on song genres (with exception to people's insistence on metal-specific genres it seems). Thirdstyle does something like this, but I find it very dull. Overall I find it hard to take "real" genres seriously, because "real" doesn't have a very defined boundary in the first place. "Real" as far as I can tell are the genres that people are familiar with, so this differs from user to user. Therefore, I am very dismissive of the idea of generalizing song genres - everyone has their own idea of what genres are legit or not.

That being said, I'll always take into consideration individual song genre corrections, so please keep them coming, but note that you're only as critical as the genres you know about.

noname219 01-9-2015 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 4259247)
Don't forget there's a heavy bias on people's knowledge of specific rock-related genres. Most users are not critical of other music genres because they probably aren't familiar with them, so it's important to note that bias. If there was to be a change for genres, it should change across the board, so I would like input from more than just metalheads please. That's simply my observations based on the feedback I hear on the particular songs that people are currently critical of.

People may also be surprised at what are "real" genres vs made up ones. You're probably thinking of commercially relevant genres, and if you choose to go that route, then you might as well give very sweeping generalizations on song genres (with exception to people's insistence on metal-specific genres it seems). Thirdstyle does something like this, but I find it very dull. Overall I find it hard to take "real" genres seriously, because "real" doesn't have a very defined boundary in the first place. "Real" as far as I can tell are the genres that people are familiar with, so this differs from user to user. Therefore, I am very dismissive of the idea of generalizing song genres - everyone has their own idea of what genres are legit or not.

That being said, I'll always take into consideration individual song genre corrections, so please keep them coming, but note that you're only as critical as the genres you know about.

You're right but there's also the fact that the rock/metal bands that are being stepped are usually more well known than your average electronic producer hence more users will be able to pinpoint genres that are off.
Also, it might also depends on the people who defined the genres. I think Spitfire was helping for a bit and he's quite knowledgeable in electronic music subgenres.

I'm open to go specific (even if it's pushing a bit) and I'm not against made-up genres if they make sense with how they are used in music circles.

Quote:

Overall I find it hard to take "real" genres seriously, because "real" doesn't have a very defined boundary in the first place. "Real" as far as I can tell are the genres that people are familiar with, so this differs from user to user. Therefore, I am very dismissive of the idea of generalizing song genres - everyone has their own idea of what genres are legit or not.
I disagree with this. I find "real" genres easier to recognise (as long as you know the musical characteristics of it and how they are used*) than made-up genres. Those can be interpreted in different ways depending on the listener, considerably more than "real" genres.

* I'm going off-topic with this, but it's safer to go with "real" genres since they usually develop an agreed definition over years. When boundaries are pushed, that's when journalists and critics like to create buzzwords to describe the music. People that are interested in the evolution of music and how new subgenres are formed and recognised usually set themselves criterias to determine the "validity" of a genre. They usually revolve around those :
- if there's an agreed definition and if that definition is used consistently
- if it has developed its own characteristics
- if it's possible to trace its history
- if it's used in real life and music journalism
My point is that it takes more than one people to push the creation of "real" genres (with rare exceptions like plunderphonics for example). The genres are recognised by people because they are consistent in their usage.

So like I said, if a made-up genre makes sense with the song and in relation with other genres, I'm alright using it.

bmah 01-9-2015 04:17 AM

If you care to comb through FFR's vast library of songs, feel free to make a list and we can go over it.

noname219 03-26-2015 11:20 PM

I took the decision to move the list of changes into the wiki. I will put them in the comments and make edits on articles if necessary. This will be done to make the list of corrections editable by everyone and easier to maintain.

The op of this thread will need an update (I'll try to do that tonight and tomorrow) because some standards/guidelines have changed. And since my efforts have been focused on the wiki lately, some of the sections are now obsolete. Once the guidelines are updated, I will ask for the staff to verify the moot cases and if they need any modifications.

The corrections will also be reviewed again by me and (hopefully) Crazyjayde so they conform with the new standards. There's no ETA for a completed list but I'll focus on the project as much as I can.

ilikexd 04-1-2015 06:52 PM

Metro by Terminal 11 is actually No Time For Sleep. Metro is the track that comes directly after in the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Mmq6y2MM#t=922
http://puu.sh/gYi3S/e5ddb37ce2.jpg

Yet a lot of places are listing No Time For Sleep as only around a minute long.

gabrieljd 04-1-2015 07:03 PM

That youtube upload is missing "Disorder (Intermission1)" and because of that all the tracks after that are one track ahead. Metro is correct.

ilikexd 04-1-2015 07:06 PM

That's true, but I also have the album including Disorder (Intermission1) and No Time For Sleep is the music file that sounds like what currently is Metro on FFR.

gabrieljd 04-1-2015 07:21 PM

I have it too, mine has matching track durations and Metro is the same as the one in the game. You're missing the last track by the way.

ilikexd 04-1-2015 07:22 PM

My mistake then, sorry. The youtube video and my files in the album are wrong then.

Crazyjayde 06-20-2015 10:14 PM

We are back into it for the last straw.

noname219 06-20-2015 10:29 PM

Yeah, about 40-45% done on my side (A-B and R-Z is done). A few things will need to be decided (classical songs, how to display remix/cover/feats musicians, newgrounds accentuated titles, etc.)... I won't give any ETA but expect something soon at the pace I'm going.

Crazyjayde 06-21-2015 03:53 AM

Also, it's always fun lurking in the forum's early days, looking for answers.

hi19hi19 08-13-2015 02:31 PM

Random bump but I just want to say how incredibly useful this thread and the wiki are for finding information about oldass FFR songs.

Thanks for all your hard work.

lurker 09-24-2015 11:36 PM

as noted by multiple people during the judging process, the credits for follow you should be as follows:
title: Follow You (Virtual Riot Remix)
artist: Au5 feat. Danyka Nadeau

lurker 09-24-2015 11:36 PM

as noted by multiple people during the judging process, the credits for follow you should be as follows:
title: Follow You (Virtual Riot Remix)
artist: Au5 feat. Danyka Nadeau

Crazyjayde 09-25-2015 01:05 AM

@hi19: Yeah there's a lot of good stuff when you follow the bread crumbs hard enough. Oldschool stuff like this makes me laugh.

@lurker: Noted tyvm.

noname219 10-10-2015 10:24 AM

Re: Song Corrections [NEED FEEDBACK]

Time to get things rolling. These past months, Crazyjayde and I went through the list looking for more mistakes and I'm glad to annouce that the list is 78% done. There's still a few corrections that I'm not sure about and they should be double-checked :

See the Google Docs here

- The is the first series of corrections concerning song titles, musicians and step authors.
- To suggest a modification, a correction or precision, comment in this thread and I will change the document as soon as I can.
- You can suggest modifications on genres and links, but they might be reserved for a later batch of corrections
- The first column is the link towards the wiki for more information about the song
- N219 : Noname219, CJ : Crazyjayde.
- In Red : Very few or no information about the song
- In Yellow : Some information but might still need a few more opinions on the correction
- In Green : Enough information was gathered and the corrections is deemed accurate
- In Grey : Classical songs; will be reserved for later

Here's a breakdown of the guidelines we used throughout the song list. There's a few exceptions but most of the songs follow the same rules. If you have questions I will be happy to answer them.

[2.2] About song names

At best, song titles should reflect what is showed on the first release appearance (digital or physical). If physical, a scan of the track list is usually the best possible source.

If we cannot display certain symbols in the engines (@, ç, É, ô, japanese characters, etc.), we have to substitute them with an equivalent.

Some songs (classical songs for example) are known under many aliases. For example, the full name of Molto Vivace is "Trancendental Étude No. 2" but is more commonly known as the first. We can use either of these two. This is subject to discussion, but we need to stay consistent. Personnally, I would prefer using the full version but this might lead to confusion.

Japanese songs can be romanized or translated. There's no strict requirements here because some songs do not translate well in english. If we're using a romanized title, we should only keep particles in lowercase (the rest should be capitalized).

Terms like [Light], [Standard] or [Heavy]* are a remnant of the widget system. We can decide to scrap them altogether and move to the "v" system (v2, v3, etc.) or keep it the way it is. Ideally, we should have only one system to differentiate between multiple files. [Editorial text] is commonly used everywhere.

[2.3] About artist names

The artist name should be what is displayed along with the song in question. If there's no clear information about the artist name, we can use the usual artist name. Also, many artists have aliases to distinguish between different styles of music and would prefer to use one of those akas.

If an artist has multiple songs in-game with variations on the same name (i.e. DJ Cristo and djcristo), they should be be written the same way for all the songs. Those are not considered aliases but variations.

Remixer, performer and feats. can be listed if we know about them. For classical songs, the slash system (Composer / Performer) should be used. Composers and arrangers for non-classical songs fall into a grey zone but as a general rule, they shouldn't be credited if they do not show up in sources.

also updated the first post

noname219 11-25-2015 07:45 PM

Bumping, I need help over there (see post above).

I'm also nearly finished (85% - O, P, Q, R and a bit of S are remaining) and expect to be done at the end of December/early January.

edit nov 28 : 90,8%, O is done, nearly all OSTER project and paraoka is green and backed up with sources

noname219 12-2-2015 11:33 PM

Yeah, hum, I'm "done". All songs have been researched and all entries have been updated : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=0&vpid=A2

Took like, what, at least 3 years ? ...

And it's still not ready for implementation (we're getting there), there's a few cases that I need to go through with Crazyjayde and classical songs will likely need a separate thread just for it. These are the steps I'm expecting for the full implementation of the changes :

1. Gathering feedback (??????????????????????????????????????????) from users that can help with those red and yellow cases + help by Crazyjayde somehow
2. What the fuck should we do with classical music (how to write the titles)
3. Finishing up a few details on the song pages (bpm for songs, FFR Perfect Project)
4. Updating musician's pages on the wiki, they're obsolete now
5. Updating musician's homepage in the song list. Either we a) simply update with more recent links b) link their pages on the wiki - which can then show multiple links and additional cool infos, seriously c) create new pages on the website that will serve the same purpose than the wiki, is something like this in the plans? let me guess : we thought about it, but no, it won't get done?*
6. Genre research (gathering feedback from users as well)
7. Category research (Dance, Dance 2, Arcade, Hip-Hop, etc.)

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. Will edit if I need to.

* Or at least making song pages show more useful information about songs, adding those fields would be nice : album, cover art, song release date, aka, composer/arranger/performer/remixer/featuring, bpm, etc. etc... Maybe we can use the wikia api to display them because I got all that shit sorted out over there.

Sorry if I sound blunt. I'm not targetting anybody. I just want to get things rolling.