Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 02-20-2018 10:21 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 438: Songs For The Recently Sad by Soccer Mommy (Album Choice: g.o.ry)

This album better be better than the last one. Seems mildly obscure, which I don't care about except I hope that means there's a lo-fi aesthetic here.

So far, yeah this is pretty damn lo-fi, and it's soft and pretty. Shitty production values with noise creates more noise, whereas tape hiss and crackle usually makes a quiet acoustic affair seem all the more personal and intimate. Clearly, I'm a sucker for bad aesthetic.

I don't find this particular EP all that personally resonant, but goddamnit this is what I was missing from the last album, affecting songwriting! And a general sense that I'm supposed to enjoy this for what it actually is, simple fingerpicked indie folk. There's nothing here making me go "WOW!" especially, but there's absolutely nothing offensive here, it's all pure, floaty pleasantries... Is that the right definition of pleasantries? I hope not.

I can certainly see myself returning to this one on a lonely, muggy summer day. Wait, fuck, I wrote this entire review comparing it to another album that doesn't even sound similar. Ah well, a simplistic release gets a simplistic review... Except simplicity isn't the flaw here. Fuck you.

Best Track: Memories
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 02-21-2018 10:37 AM

Day 439: Goths by The Mountain Goats (Album Choice: college peoples)

Y'all already know how much I love this band. This is supposedly the "no guitars" album which is worrisome, but hey I've been wrong most of my life. I've also heard a bunch of these songs live already, some of them twice, yet I promise you I won't remember shit.

Well, actually I vaguely remember this opening song being played live, albeit much sparer in arrangement. This one rocks pretty hard, but after that it seems to mostly be soft chamber pop. In fact, it feels like Darnielle spent way more time on figuring out how to make the orchestration sound like an indie 90s release than writing lyrics. I know that last sentence is objectively false, but the lyrics here pale in comparison to my favorite albums of his, and that's all I'm looking for! Maybe it's because I'm not a goth, but goddamnit I'm severely depressed and that ought to count for something.

Anyways, there's a mix of great songs and boring-to-cheesy song (what the fuck is Wear Black?) but none of it has the energy or strike of his earlier albums besides the first track. It's mostly just pretty yet inconsequential quiet stuff.

A perfectly middling album. Also, is it me or does Rage In Travers sound like a certain Tame Impala song?

Best Track: Rain In Soho
Rating: 6/10

Shodzzy 02-22-2018 05:16 PM

If ur talking about songs...

"Uncommon Knowledge" by K.A.A.N
great one, I'm listening to it as I type, it makes me wanna get outta the house and backflip into a drain

dont ask pls

PixlSM 02-22-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodzzy (Post 4610151)
If ur talking about songs...

on a side note you should listen to ryuichi sakamoto + alva noto's new live album, Glass while you are still doing 2018 stuff

Shodzzy 02-23-2018 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixlSM (Post 4610158)

Pls let me post this on Comment awards discord lmfao holy shit i was so stoned... sorry bout that

rayword45 02-26-2018 10:02 PM

Day 440: All Melody by Nils Frahm (Album Choice: Traviud)

I'm not entirely sure what minimalism exactly is, but I think I like it. A lot of the genres I like are clearly minimalistic as fuck, and I've definitely talked about how much I hate clutter before. Well, except the good clutter. This is study music.

Well, so far I'm not sure what makes this more minimalistic than any other ambient release. This definitely seems less minimalistic by definition of the word than, say, Thomas Koner's works or Earth 2: I'm Not Typing Out The Title Edition. I can count strings, plodding drum machines, choral samples, feedback, synths, pianos (of many variety), and some other instruments I don't know the name of as prominent soundmakers here within the first few tracks alone (maybe it doesn't change though?). Regardless, semantics aren't important, what's important is the music!

And anyways, reading the genre description for minimalism, I guess it makes sense it's technically less minimalistic than drone.

If there's one thing that seems to universally irk me, it's the amount of downtime between most of these tracks, which can exceed, like, 15 seconds. Yes I get the genre, but still, it's killing my flow right now and some more seamless transitions wouldn't kill this album, at least in my view. Also, the choral samples are a little much, particularly in A Place,Human Range, Kaleidescope and Momentum. I actually like the album more when it feels closer to some good old-school techno, albeit with a more emotional edge, like the title track, #2, Sunson and the second half of Momentum. Too many parts of this album feel like they're trying to go for an "epic" vibe but I simply don't buy it, and the more jazz-or-sad piano parts are pretty enough but don't grab as much as the bouncy synth-based cuts. There's also a slight tribal, jungle-esque vibe to some of these tracks, which is subtle enough to be inconsequential to the quality of the track.

On the more positive side of things, this managed to not outstay its welcome at a staggering 74 minutes, which isn't that long today but you guys know my attention span sucks and I have a low tolerance for filler (I'm incredibly loath to review Culture 2 as of right now). The down moments never seemed like they weren't trying and just adding space, just that what they did try didn't work for me this time around, which I can respect much more. Truthfully, I might cut some tracks here and there out, but I'm just as likely to give this a full listen again. And what's good is good and it makes up most of the album, I hope I articulated that well enough.

Here's to hoping for a real "instrumental" version at some point... Haha yeah there's no way that's happening.

Best Track: All Melody (I always get so uncomfortable when the first, last or title track is the best one)

rayword45 02-26-2018 10:47 PM

Day 441: Little Dark Age by MGMT (Album Choice: PixlSM)

I know I've heard something from this band before without caring about it, but I don't remember what. Also, I always mix this band up with M83. As of today I care about neither. Let's see if that changes!

Well, I can't lie, this first track is catchy as fuck, and I think they've realized the "dream-robotic" aura they're going for very well here. The stupid lyrics are PERFECT for this kinda vibe, so I can fuck with it.

Unfortunately, most of what comes after feels way too chintzy for some reason. They vary from decent (Me And Michael, the deep-vocaled When You're Small, groover Days That Got Away) to just boring (the title track, When You Die) or cheesy-feeling (One Thing Left To Try)

Yup, another one of those "killer first track and a few more decent cuts" albums, although this isn't nearly as frustrating as Stands for Decibels is for me. Yup, still don't care about either band. I don't feel like elaborating more. Go watch the melon or something.

Best Track: She Works Out Too Much
Rating: 5/10

choof 03-5-2018 05:57 PM

listen to my pretentious lowercase album

rayword45 03-8-2018 07:31 PM

^I shall

Day 442: Punken by Maxo Kream (Album Choice: college peoples)

5200 is not better than Magnolia and that's final.

That's all I managed to spit out while I was studying. Onto a second listen!

Well, compared to past trap releases I've reviewed, this one has comparatively very little obvious filler, so that's a heavy plus immediately. The beat selection works well, never getting too samey thanks to more-layered-than-usual production while keeping the same obvious vibe throughout. Lyrically, this is MILES ahead of... well, at least the last trap release I reviewed, not that that's hard to do (and I still unironically like Gucci Gang). Still, a commendable effort in that realm.

Okay... who the fuck cares about what I rate a trap album?

Best Track: Pop Another

rayword45 03-8-2018 09:30 PM

Day 443: n​-​afil​:​1atem​=​x​-​vnn​-​.​x by [Ne]3s23p2 (Album Choice: choof)

...Oh for fuck's sake with this Autechre 2.0 title scheming, what the hell is this? Looks like a chemistry equation to me, and I suck at chemistry. I don't know what lowercase music is, and I don't know what EAI is. Google say it's some form of electroacoustic, which I'm not very familiar with but the little I do remember I remember enjoying. What was that frog album?... It had OzMo and Space Ghost in it.

After some more googling, it's The Hass Effect by Electrocado. That was almost 5 years ago, holy shit, but from what I remember it was easy and pleasant to listen to, if not really outstanding save for those aforementioned samples.

This sounds NOTHING like Electrocado. This album basically sounds like a collection of gusts of wind. In fact, I didn't even realize the last track was playing until 15 minutes into it, and it's 20 minutes! I have no idea how I'm supposed to judge this, but I do appreciate the atmosphere it provides (outside of the barely audible final track) enough to give it a middling rating.

Best Track: Every track besides 9999~`x (motherfucker...)

choof 03-8-2018 10:03 PM

the title scheming of the album name is based on a command used to convert audio files
the title scheming of the track names are based on the command using the different audio files
idk I was pretty high

Deadlyx39 03-9-2018 05:30 AM

Automata I by Between the Buried and Me just came out, would like to hear your opinions on it.

PixlSM 03-9-2018 08:53 AM

Review the “new” sakamoto/noto live album

choof 03-9-2018 10:31 AM

the crystalline sounds on that album are amazing
seconding that rec

yo man im awesome 03-9-2018 01:59 PM

Between The Buried And Me - Automata I

just dropped at midnight :o

edit: he beat me to it but yea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4611849)
Automata I by Between the Buried and Me just came out, would like to hear your opinions on it.

choof 03-11-2018 07:35 AM

Re: 365 Reviews Done

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4545283)
Day 382: Narkopop by Gas

Best Track: Narkopop 2 or Narkopop 9
Rating: 8.5/10

yo narkopop fuckin sucks lmao

rayword45 03-11-2018 10:32 AM

2nd best Gas album fuck u

PixlSM 03-11-2018 02:02 PM

also just to add to your backlog of 2018 stuff, For 2 Akis by the Shinya Fukumori Trio is good if you like percussion-focused jazz

choof 03-11-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4612286)
2nd best Gas album fuck u

easily one of the most amateurish and overrated ambient albums of last year

noname219 03-12-2018 02:57 AM

Do a track-by-track comparison of the two versions of Twin Fantasy

PixlSM 03-12-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noname219 (Post 4612799)
Do a track-by-track comparison of the two versions of Twin Fantasy

every old track > every new track

there you go

choof 03-12-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixlSM (Post 4612801)
every old track > every new track

there you go

9.5/10 bettwr production but still a furry

PixlSM 03-12-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4612803)
9.5/10 bettwr production but still a furry

Poppier, cleaner, and above all more sterile production. Completely killed the album.

Trogdor!!!! 03-13-2018 04:57 PM

Re: 365 Reviews Done

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4612279)
yo narkopop fuckin sucks lmao

Not true you hater!!!

choof 03-16-2018 12:15 AM

please
take time away from whatever you have going on
and review the new fucking xxxtentacion
please

Gravity Kitten 03-16-2018 03:17 AM

the voidz - virtue

the album officially drops on the 30th but it just leaked today

rayword45 03-18-2018 02:08 PM

Day 444: ? by XXXTentacion (Album Choice: choof)

What the fuck dude, why? And also fuck that title.

So first thing first, that introduction was COMPLETELY unnecessary and didn't need to go on for more than 30 seconds, if that. After that, this seems to be lean more on the side of soft songs than hard bangers. That's good, because all these soft songs just sound like bad mid-2000s emo Hot Topic nonsense. It's pretty awful, but nowhere near as awful as when he tries to make an actual banger. Floor 555 sounds like Eminem gone digital hardcore, Going Down doesn't have the vibe to justify it's subject matter or general existence, $$$ just sounds more and more idiotic with every passing pitchshifted adlib. All of these songs infuriate you because they have no reason to exist, whereas most of the soft shit is just corny and laughable (I actually laughed out loud to Changes). The pure rock shit is mercifully the least commonly reoccuring stuff, because that stuff goes beyond awful into so-bad-its-good territory before looping back to so-bad-you-wanna-die. What even is Schizophrenia?

Actually lemme fix that, not every soft song is superior to the bangers, depending on what qualifies as the former. Pain = BESTFRIEND went from potential highlight to "whoa whoa whoa what are these TERRIBLE emo screams?"

Onto the good. infinity (888) is an actually decent banger, no doubt thanks 100% to Joey Bada$$ and I don't even speak spanish lol is sufficiently groovy.

That ends the good. Why the fuck you do this, choof?

These titles are fucking stupid.

Best Track: infinity (888)
Rating: 3/10

choof 03-18-2018 02:13 PM

I only did it because it's easily one of the worst albums of the year, quite possibly the worst

Gravity Kitten 03-21-2018 12:21 PM

im sad i know yeh:(

Gravity Kitten 03-26-2018 06:52 PM

https://owane.bandcamp.com/album/yeah-whatever

rayword45 03-29-2018 08:36 PM

Day 445: We Beefin? by at Wendys

I expected this to be so bad it's funny or so bad it's depressing. Instead it's just bad in a boring, uninspiring way. Everything about this EP is dry and generic as fuck besides the atrocious adverlyrics. This did not satisfy my masochistic side at all.

To spice up this review, I blasted it and forced my mom to listen to it with me. Some choice quotes

"I don't like it"
"Is it over yet?"
"Is that a man or a woman? So nasal."
"We're all gonna die soon."

So from a woman who likes her momrock, not good.

Best Track: No
Rating: 1.5/10

rayword45 04-1-2018 03:45 PM

Day 446: Lil Boat 2 by Lil Yachty

The only use this album has is as a cure for insomniacs. Fucking terrible.

Best Track: IT'S ALL THE SAME MUMBLESHIT
Rating: 2/10

Kairon 04-2-2018 02:53 PM

Have I pimped myself out yet?

If not, "Worthless!" by halfcrash

rayword45 04-4-2018 12:11 AM

Day 447: FEVER by Black Milk

Three listens and I still don't got much to say, let's do this one quick so I can get back to my homework.

Some highlights, True Lies is groovy as fuck, Drown is gorgeous, and Foe Friend is great too. In general, these beats are great and what I've been looking for recently. Also, the album doesn't outstay its welcome, which still is a serious virtue in hip-hop.

Lowlight? Eh, I guess the delivery could use a little work, and autotune here and there seems out of place. Overall though, not bad!

Best Track: Drown
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 04-8-2018 06:07 PM

Day 448: Isolation by Kali Uchis

i got banned from rym for shitposting too much :(

This is a good album. Probably will end up in my top 10. Only song that I didn't like was Your Teeth In My Neck. Even the interludes are smooth as fuck.

I had a whole bunch more written for this but decided to abandon it all because fuck it.

Best Track: Flight 22
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 04-18-2018 09:05 PM

Day 449: Song For Alpha by Daniel Avery (Album Choice: internet music nerds)

"Yo somehow this music is blending in PERFECTLY with the pop music blasting in this car. They don't contrast at all, which is scary... okay that's probably just a first track thing.

Sensation is great."

That was all I managed to write down on my first go through with this album, before slinking off into half-sleep. I've listened to this album about five times now. Before, I would shit out a review towards the end of an album to get it over with, but this one caused me to lose words. "Before" was the absolute wrong word to use considering I still do that, it's just that this album is specifically difficult to shitpost out a review to. That's a good thing!

Geogaddi is one of my all-time favorite albums, and this album seems to capture that same vibe that I love in large part, although this one definitely isn't as dark and there are more "danceable" moments here, using that term lightly (basically where the albums house flavor shows up). Either way, a great, great album and rivaling Kali for my current favorite of 2018 spot. Unlike Boards of Canada though, I can confidently say that the short tracks here really don't have shit on the long tracks.

Best Track: Quick Eternity

rayword45 04-18-2018 10:21 PM

Day 450: Invasion of Privacy by Cardi B (Album Choice: Jeremy L. and J. S. (name so esoteric I felt obligated to use initials for privacy))

My school won the Tinder swipe-off, where the university with the most right swipes gets a free Cardi B concert.

On a motherfucking Wednesday.

And you bet your ass that I'm gonna go get my ticket tomorrow, because hell, Bodak Yellow annoys the living shit out of me, but no matter what free kicks the everloving shit out of $120+ to say I saw her within my lifetime. And everyone around me is saying this album is surprisingly fire, my internet music nerd friends, my poor Bostonian friends, my white-privileged Bostonian friends, even my fellow Bodak Yellow haters. The only people who have talked shit about it to me haven't even listened to it, they're just biased against the artist for whatever reason ("man all she does is rap about HOE SHIT, maan" well yeah but don't all rappers?). Anyways, let's get this going while I continue on my homework. I predict that I'll enjoy this album a decent amount, but it definitely won't reach the heights of Isolation. It just isn't possible for that to happen on first listen, mainly for the incredibly stupid reason that I find Kali Uchis more attractive than just about any other popular musician right now... Shallow, I know, cut me some slack I'm a hormonal 20-year-old with shitty social skills.

I wasn't exactly sold by the first track, but the following two tracks are exactly the bouncy kind of fun I was hoping for.

And then yup, I still don't like Bodak Yellow. Also, this Chance the Rapper song is fucking ruined by Chance the Rapper, who I actually like. The other features aren't nearly as song-trashing, but they're mostly superfluous minus Kehlani, who adds a much appreciated smooth, sexy touch to one of the softer tracks. Even SZA feels irrelevant to the song, which is a big disappointment.

But besides those minor gripes, this is loaded to the brim with fun, energetic bangers. It's not even close to flawless, mind you, but I can see myself enjoying this concert a lot, so I think this album accomplished its mission. There are also some more melodic pop tracks like Ring and Thru Your Phone, which are good for all intents and purposes (except the latter of the ones I mentioned) but I don't see myself enjoying those live much at all. Either way, good album with only a couple of actively agitating tracks.

Best Track: I Like It (now THAT's a fire beat)

rayword45 04-26-2018 02:24 PM

Day 451: The Scientists by Sleep

Yeah I know I'm almost a week late, fuckin shoot me.

These lyrics are a bit more laughable than Dopesmoker in my opinion, but who the fuck listens to an Al Cisernos project for the lyrics? This is all about the riffs, and riffs are delivered. Antarcticans Thawed is easily the best song on this album with that gorgeous, Boris-esque build-up, the most entrancing solo of a fucking showcase of them on the album (and y'all know I usually hate wank except on my own OK I'll stop), and a swirling atmosphere that keeps your head bobbing throughout. I didn't wanna say headbanging because... eh fuck it. Yeah this is a headbanger. A really slow one, but a fucking phenomenal headbanger nonetheless.

All five of the tracks after the experimental intro are phenomenal, as a matter of fact. This shit is awesome. Is it better than Dopesmoker? No, but that's really hard to beat. The vocals are a bit too clean for my taste but regardless, this comes highly recommended.

Best Track: I just fucking said it
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 04-29-2018 10:10 PM

Day 452: Chapter 66 - Layed Back Rollin' by DJ Screw

I just played this one randomly without even realizing it's posthumous.

It's good but not amazing. I can't remember a single track title.

Best Track: What the fuck did I just say?
Rating: 6.5/10

Shikari 05-1-2018 03:44 AM

I see you like Stoner Rock/Metal, so try Sundrifter - Variations, been having a good time with it lately.

rayword45 05-3-2018 12:38 AM

Day 453: Virtue by The Voidz (Album Choice: Gravity Kitten)

Truthfully, I think I have heard about three or four Strokes songs, and two of those were songs I was forced to cover for a band. This isn't caused by any disdain for the band or any of its members. As a matter of fact, this isn't caused by any emotion. I just don't care enough to check out The Strokes, and if I ever do I've gotta work up that care. So for a first album from Julian, perhaps this is a bit weird, but whatever. At least I don't have any expectations whatsoever, that's gotta count for something, right?

This first song is dividing me internally. It's catchy, the textures are great, and I fucking love that brief breakdown of broken chords. I don't have any actual complaints about this song, but it's not something that rings with me on an emotional level. In fact, it seems kinda sterile, like "we're cool, aloof and indie" sterile. That's the reason I hate bands like Vampire Weekend. Also, the autotune is unnecessary.

The general "weird out" vibe they seem to be going for is one that probably wouldn't hit me the way they intended regardless of anything, seeing how I'm guessing my taste in weird is far more esoteric than their average fan. This liberal autotune and general vocoding that seems to be a large basis for the album's atmosphere is really only bringing this album down. I'm willing to bet I'd enjoy this a lot more if the vocals were simply rawer, since strained performances and wild performances are two of my favorite kinds of singing. Outside of that, this is baby's first bizarre, with any actual moments of oddity only lasting a few seconds at best only to be brought back around to the riffs.

Speaking of the riffs, the heavy metal-aping Pyramids of Bones was probably the first track I legitimately enjoyed. The guitar is simplistic and, again, the weird-for-weirdness-sake shit really doesn't add anything, but fuck it this one is catchy in a hypnotic way. The duo of songs immediately following keep the hypnotic and the "we're better and more enjoyable than the first two tracks" while completely stripping away all traces of metal, leaving some groovy, sauntering jams that leave you in a trance. This is good stuff, especially the unfortunately-titled multitrack crooner ALieNNatioN. I guessed the capitalization the first time I typed that out and got it wrong, proving just how bad this title is Jesus Christ dude what the fuck were you thinking?

For someone who spent so much time shitting on the first 5 minutes of this album, I seem to be enjoying it so far. All Wordz Are Made Up is the first time in a while I'm completely unimpressed by a track, since it seems to want to dial up the weird yet again to nobody's benefit and generally just sounds like a shitty Talking Heads wannabe. Hey, it seems like all the tracks I don't like so far are the singles minus the one I mentioned liking. What radio stations play this shit?

...And nevermind (oh yeah, I'm spelling it like that, SUCK IT) what I just said about singles, this acoustic track is fucking terrible. No wonder this guy kept most of his album aseptic as fuck, THIS is what he sounds like emoting? Hell no.

Okay, now we're back to the fun stuff. Wink brings back that slow mesmerizing atmosphere while maintaining its own unique, bouncy sensibility. My Friend The Walls is perhaps the first time the weirdness feels less than forced to me. It's not one of the better tracks on this album, it's really rather middling, but that fact alone gives me an immense respect for it.

This is my least favorite kind of review, the "let's talk about nearly every track yet somehow have it be holistic" kind. Thus I'm stopping myself short and gonna stop typing here until I'm finished with the album.

And now that I am finished, I'm not sure if I wanna revisit this album as a whole or just the tracks I like. This is pretty middle of the road for me. The songs I like I really do enjoy, but this thing is hit-or-miss as fuck, which is basically a guarantee when you go for a genre blender approach like the one here. For such an eclectic approach, however, it's pretty easy to break this up into what I do and don't like. The slow songs are easily the best here, especially, to mention one more song by name, the song that I said "especially" for before. And especially dirge-y closer Pointlessness, which may very well be my favorite track. Outside of that, the second most common kind of song here is noise rock slop, which together are equally as hit-or-miss as the album as a whole. Then you have the tracks either trying to be weird for weird's sake (but not really being THAT weird), or being "different" like that shitty acoustic song. Fuck those songs.

And fuck finals.

Best Track: I mentioned two different tracks as serious highlights, and I can't pick either one. I'm amazed that the singles make up my two favorite tracks and three of my least favorite tracks.

rayword45 05-6-2018 07:55 PM

Day 454: Xuvetyn by Lovesliescrushing (Album Choice: penancestare)

Shoegazy ambient. In its attempt to sound ethereal, the album comes across as earnest but there's a certain self-awareness lacking, particularly in the more abrasive interludes, that makes this feel like less than a cohesive whole. But those bits are brief and the rest is silken and gorgeous, if mildly repetitive. I prefer my ambient to explore worlds and atmospheres, not riff on variations of a theme.

Best Track: Blooded and Blossom-Blown

rayword45 05-7-2018 01:06 AM

Day 455: 2012 - 2017 by A.A.L (Against All Logic)

Holy motherfucking shit I cannot wait to go home after 4 more nights. Let's play some house to celebrate! And also because it'll help me focus.

Well, it did indeed help me focus... I dunno why I started the sentence like that, sounds like I'm about to have something negative to say but I don't. Maybe I'm a plebeian and the fact that I just called myself has turned me briefly suicidal. God I hate that word. This shit grooves like a motherfucker and does not relent. The shorter tracks are kinda hit-or-miss but those long tracks hypnotize. Incredibly warm and organic-sounding album.

I don't have anything else to say. Fuck finals.

Best Track: I Never Dream or You Are Going To Love Me And Scream

PixlSM 05-9-2018 07:36 PM

did you listen to singularity yet

rayword45 05-17-2018 01:43 PM

Day 456: Hit Vibes by Saint Pepsi

This is an album I know I listened to like 3 years ago but never bothered to review. Don't think that's a good sign. Might do some more of those that I've forgotten later on.

It's groovy, but otherwise pretty sterile and boring. I'm also completely uninterested in any satiric value here, what's new? Vocals did this man a wonder.

Best Track: the name of his future pseudonym

PixlSM 05-18-2018 03:24 PM

oh yeah listen to the new beach house as well

rayword45 05-26-2018 11:23 AM

Day 457: Veteran by JPEGMAFIA

Is that a Motorbass sample in Baby I'm Bleeding?

That is all I've managed to write after listening to this album for like the tenth time. Great album, exactly my kind of experimental, although I have some gripes with the mixing at certain points.

Best Track: the only one I named

Wayward Vagabond 05-26-2018 01:27 PM

have you reviewed splendor and misery by clipping. you have too many reviews for me to check

rayword45 06-4-2018 01:45 PM

Day Fuck You: ye by Kanye West

The Kid Cudi song is best by default. Moist and warm chicken sandwiches.

Outside of that, this album is 50% good, 50% boring. Any time it gets really empty in the production, it falters, particularly towards the first half. But then the other half of this is engaging with great features and whatnot. Not going any more in depth.

Best Track: Well, Yikes is the SECOND best

rayword45 06-6-2018 04:23 PM

Day 459: Clean by Soccer Mommy

This is what evolution sounds like, I suppose. Compared to the warbly, watery recording of the last release of hers I reviewed, this actually sounds like it was recorded in a studio with a full band! Normally, I'd see that as detrimental to my enjoyment but I'm not gonna jump there yet.

The songwriting unmistakably hits a few of the same beats, but this whole thing is definitely more power pop thanks to the fuller production. There are a decent amount of more relaxed cuts, but they're far and few between (highlight Blossom (Some Subtitle) comes to mind). Thankfully, I've adjusted my expectations and now I'm less here for lo-fi and more here for catchy melodies. And catchy this is! It's not flawless front-to-back (what the fuck was the point of that interlude?), but there's at least enough consistency to justify repeated listens.

Not the greatest or most unique album ever, but a decent, worthwhile listen nonetheless. I hope to see further evolution over the years. Still ain't paying no $60 to see her live with Liz Phair. To be honest I haven't listened to Liz Phair in many years now lol.

Best Track: Last Girl

rayword45 06-12-2018 04:16 PM

Day 460: Kids See Ghosts by Kids See Ghosts

Jesus Christ this album is both frustrating and disappointing as fuck, and I like it more than ye! Nearly every track here comes agonizingly close to greatness but there's something just stupid in the song that brings it down.

Take Freeeee (is that the right number?) for a prime example. I was bumping the hell out of those first 20 or so seconds, and then the title word is spoken... is this supposed to be trippy? Atmospheric? Its just fucking stupid and unnecessary! Or those goofy ass laughs in the first track, or some really cringy lines in the title track, ah whatever. The biggest exceptions to this are Reborn, probably the best overall track even if it's too long, and the closer which is nowhere near greatness, in fact it's fucking awful.

I still enjoyed it but writing about this album makes me mad. Plus, it's not as good as 2015 Cudi.

Best Track: I said it before, but 4th Dimension is also close

rayword45 06-13-2018 02:58 PM

Day 461: Rausch by Gas

I liked Narkopop, I really did, but it seems a lot of people didn't. Those people are idiots.

This album is far more repetitious than any other album from this project, but that's not a bad thing, as it lets an atmosphere develop fully. I'm not sure this needed to be the full 60 minutes, though, some of the shit in the first two tracks could've been lopped off.

Still, I enjoyed this. Good for walking when you're in the midst of a minor, despondent crisis.

Best Track: The fifth one

rayword45 06-24-2018 03:27 PM

Day 462: Rock Island by Palm

Meant to review this a while ago but I'm lazy. This is a good album, while simultaneously being one of the most disappointing albums of the year. After the structured yet chaotic noise bursts of Trading Basics... their next LP is just math rock Animal Collective? What the hell is this progression?

It's not BAD, mind you, and I give them props for managing to incorporate MIDI steel drum without sounding cheesy as fuck. Bands need to progress and grow, but this feels less like progression and more like "playing it safe", maybe not an entirely accurate descriptor but the amount of pop here is not what I'm looking for.

Some of these songs are great math pop, for what it's worth. The first song is gorgeous, Composite has the dude singer sounding his most Panda Bear-esque, and Swimmer is a highlight with its uniquely jazzy sound. Uniquely being the key word here, because this album is too samey.

I'm excited to see where this band goes next, but I hope they make their next one a little more dangerous.

Best Track: Pearly
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 06-28-2018 03:55 PM

Day 463: DAYTONA by Pusha T

Am I gonna review all these Kanye-affiliated albums? Almost definitely not, but I felt at least obligated to listen to this one because beef, and because I hate Drake.

I enjoyed this more than the releases that Kanye (why do I bother with this bold shit?) actually rapped on, but only marginally. Some of the same issues occur, like when the songs don't exactly sound cohesive, even if the individual parts sound marvelous on their own (the sung part in Santeria (fuck Sublime) and Come Back Baby).

Ignoring this fact though, this still feels a lot more satisfying than the other two albums with the aforementioned affiliation, avoiding the demo-esque feeling of ye (well, for the most part, funny how the song we hear the producer rap on is the one that somehow feels the least complete) or the felt missed potential in Kids See Ghosts. I shouldn't just judge this comparatively, though. Standing on its own, this album has very little filler even if some parts don't gel and stays enjoyable and engaging for the length of a South Park episode, unlike South Park. Good album.

Best Track: the first one
Rating: 7.5/10

mead1 06-29-2018 10:59 PM

You fucked up, KTSE is the best of the five kanye-produced albums easily imo

rayword45 07-10-2018 01:40 PM

Day 464: Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides by SOPHIE

Down the hype train we go.

My reaction upon starting this album was pure boredom.

Then, the second track started and ooooh, what is this Throbbing Gristle gone dance stuff? I quite like it actually! And toss in some extra pop and marketing sterility to the third track for even more enjoyment! I could grow to like this, even if it does drag on a tad too long.

And then we're back to being unimpressed. Is this meant to be synth soul or something? It's just boring. Although the pseudo-guitar line in Infatuation is pretty dope.

The last few tracks go back to that noisefuck that I so do love, although all of them suffer the same problem of bloat, especially the nearly 10-minute closer. Middling album with a handful of greats, overhyped indeed.

Best Track: Faceshopping

yo man im awesome 07-10-2018 02:18 PM

I don't think you've done part 1 yet, but BTBAM's Automata II drops this Friday, maybe do a review for them both when it comes out?

rayword45 07-13-2018 08:36 AM

Day 465: Dandelion Gum by Black Moth Super Rainbow (Album Choice: Earl S.)

I tried listening to this band like 5 years ago when I was going through my Animal Collective phase in high school, but couldn't bring myself to give a shit about them. Nowadays, I also don't give a fuck about anything Avey Tare and company do, so all expectations have been erased! Besides that, I wanted to give this another shot because of a certain Nardwuar interview, and because I've been putting the Silicon Valley theme on repeat.

The first song is incredible. Then this album proceeds to be about 20 versions of the same song of varying quality, going between ass boring and enjoyable but never again reaching those heights.

So overall, meh. Not gonna bother going into more detail.

Best Track: Forever Heavy

FirstMaple8 07-14-2018 10:58 PM

Hold your Colour

Deadlyx39 07-16-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo man im awesome (Post 4627623)
I don't think you've done part 1 yet, but BTBAM's Automata II drops this Friday, maybe do a review for them both when it comes out?

2nd this

Moria 07-24-2018 04:55 AM

justin timberlake - man of the woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA-N...lDqnWsDCFkeZZf

you don't have to review it or anything, i just wanted to post an album i like sometimes
cuz imo musics for feeling not thinking, the more attentively you listen the less you hear, focus on one aspect and the other aspects pass you by. just take off your thinking cap and try to enjoy, it's ok if you dont

URL 08-1-2018 05:02 PM

You've probably reviewed this already but what about Aphex Twin - Drukqs?
Otherwise, try Sevish - Harmony Hacker.

Shikari 08-3-2018 12:10 AM

try Sleep - The Sciences or Somali Yacht Club - The Sea, if you're into Stoner shit

PixlSM 08-3-2018 06:35 PM

Gastr Del Sol - Camoufleur [Post Rock/Chamber Folk]
Storm and Stress - Under Thunder and Fluorescent Lights [Math Rock/Free Improvisation]
Yume Bitsu - Yume Bitsu [Space Rock/Ambient/Drone]

rayword45 08-3-2018 09:25 PM

Day 466: Streams of Thought Vol 1 by Black Thought

I listened to thus like 10 times now and have nothing to say. It's goood so good rating

I'll do requests next tmr or some other day fugck this

Rating 7/10

rayword45 08-6-2018 12:34 PM

Day 467: Automata II by Between The Buried And Me (Album Choice: yo man im awesome & Deadlyx39)

Well, I said I'd review at least one request... wait I didn't specify any number lol. But yeah, let's do this. Glad for the double request. Despite not having listened to a single album of theirs, I've seen this band live before, back during senior year of high school, but they didn't play White Walls which made me sad, and disappointed the rest of the crowd too. Enslaved put on the better show, not to diss this band's live performance. They were second best.

Also, I'm not doing a side-by-side review with Automata I because I don't feel like it. I'll review that album at some point. Maybe.

This shit is generally a LOT less heavy and a LOT more avant-garde than what I heard at the show. Glide reminds me a whole fuckin lot of Mr. Bungle except proggier and that's a good thing (although Mike Patton seems like a douchenozzle) besides the proggier part. And Voice Of Transpass sounds like that circus metal band as well! You can tell I'm trying to not have to bold for my self-diagnosed not OCD. I need to go to an ADD doctor. And a free STD testing place.

The genre shifts are, naturally, a mixed bag. The growling parts and more somber ending of The Proverbial Bellow were fucking fantastic, but what the fuck was that country twang bullshit? The aforementioned Voice is much better at the genre blender, seamlessly combining faux-church music, surf rock, and prog whatever. Hey, did y'all ever know that a kid from my high school and college was a contestant on the show The Voice? And he has the same first name as me? Well, now you know even if you didn't care.

I don't know if I'd enjoy seeing this incarnation of the band li- ah who am I kidding this would be interesting as fuck. Good album.

Best Track: The Grid (I deliberately didn't talk at all about this track for the writing dissonance hahaha fuck you)

rayword45 08-6-2018 12:40 PM

Also I have drukqs at a 5/10 rn and The Sciences at a 9/10

Zibang 08-7-2018 05:25 PM

God damnit, I always forget to listen to the new BTBAM albums. I still haven't heard either of the Automatas lolz, and they're supposed to be one of my favorite prog metal bands

rayword45 08-8-2018 03:46 PM

Day 468: Astroworld by Travis Scott (Album Choice: Like a million IRL people)

I don't understand
Why so many damn people
Are hyping this shit

Well, so many damn people I interact with in real life. The internet music geeks I know find this album to be boring and borderline narcolepsy inducing. A very large portion of my friends are calling this the best album of 2018 already.

The hype shouts in Carousel are cringe-inducingly bad. IT'S LIT! ...Oh god that single adlib continues throughout the whole album what the fuck? Luckily I like the song otherwise.

There are some fantastic tracks in here, some serious bangers, some surprisingly enjoyabke slower songs, and then the failed experiments (what the fuck is Yosemite? And the Cudi humming was a waste of money dude) and a whole lot of filler bullshit, particularly towards the back half (special shoutout to Who? What? for somehow seeming extra inspired. This should've been half as long.

To end on a positive note, that is the most I've ever enjoyed The Weeknd

Best Track: Stargazing (why the caps, dude?)

rayword45 08-22-2018 12:26 PM

Day 469: TA13OO by Denzel Curry

This dude flaked on the Playboi Carti concert.

Or rather, Carti flaked on his original date and by the time the rescheduled date came this dude was already on his own tour.

His presence was sorely missed, and this album confirms that further. The only song I have a legitimate complaint about is the tedious, annoyingly XXX-reminiscent Clout Cobain, the rest of this album is a blast and makes me wanna dance, while the features and the various, thankfully brief genre switches keep everything interesting while inspiring life in me.

Don't feel like writing more. Will I get another album finished today? Click here to find out

Best Track: Sirens or Vengeance (fuck these goddamn caps and leetspeak titles)
Rating: 8/10

MixMasterLar 08-24-2018 01:58 AM

I have a lot of this thread to catch up on

EDIT: without checking thread I want to say that the new Gorillaz album, The Now Now, is pimp and worth your time if you haven't already.

Also 13th Elevator Floor for the old school psychedelic rock

rayword45 08-31-2018 12:17 PM

Day 470: Tangerine Reef by Animal Collective

I listened to this once.

Then I listened to it 3 times more to see if I missed the interesting parts.

That alone gives it more replay value than Painting With.

Ah I miss the nerdy high school dawait what the fuck am I saying no I fucking don't

Best Track: This isn't one long song?

PixlSM 09-16-2018 06:21 PM

have you listened to the new Ovlov album yet

rayword45 09-20-2018 12:13 PM

Day 471: Collapse EP by Aphex Twin

Now THIS I can get behind, and I'm gonna replay this a lot more than Syro and most of the subsequent shit (still haven't listened to that Soundcloud shit in full, likely never will, Ima listen to that new long-ass Autechre before). Favorite release since the one with Girl/Boy Song. Admittedly, the first song shits on the other four (I'm ignoring the bonus track here) but all of them get you grooving with complex drum patterns and really low bass, and there's far less boring moments than other recent releases thanks to the succinct running time.

Also they totally should've aired that music video on [adult swim].

Best Track: T69 Collapse
Rating: 8/10

aperson 09-20-2018 12:53 PM

should check out these for the state of 2018 micro techno:

frank bretschneider - lunik
alva noto - unieqav

rayword45 09-23-2018 05:54 PM

Day 472: Iridescence by Brockhampton (Album Choice: the usual)

Time is a fickle thing and you best realize how the hype train moves before you fuck yourselves over.

That's definitely not what happened to BROCKHAMPTON, based on their YouTube views, but this is the longest hiatus we've had between albums and on a personal level, I've found my hype for this band has lulled into a tepid excitement with a remaining strong desire to see them live, rather than the straight Stanning I was going through last year. This album also sees the biggest shake-up yet with the booting of Ameer Vann, but he was never my favorite member so I'm not too worried about that negatively affecting the band's sound, if anything I hope it instead forces them to innovate more.

On a whole level, this album has basically the exact same kinda format as the Saturations with the placement of singles, more experimental tracks and short bits, although I am HIGHLY impressed by the fact that they decided not to include any of the 1990s titled singles on here. In fact, the only things that I think stop this from being Saturation IV are the lack of Spanish-language skits and the last track not being a Bearface track. Sound-wise, this feels like a natural evolution of where the band was heading from the sounds of their third album, with a whole lotta aggressively clipped beats mixed with mellower, pitch-shifted croony bits. Unlike last time, however, the aggressive bits are EASILY the highlight of this album, and there aren't any real tearjerkers like Bleach to be found (I think that's what they were trying for with Weight but I'm more impressed by the IDM-esque amen breaks at the end of that song than any emotional content).

Well, not much else to say, but I really don't think they suffered all that much from the loss of Ameer. What they did suffer from is sophomore fatigue, even though this would be more like senior fatigue. It's still a very consistent album, with only a few filler clunkers (oh man San Marcos is so fucking bad), but it doesn't give me reason to go all super hype like 2017. It is something I will re-listen to, though, and sometimes that's good enough.

Best Track: New Orleans or J'Ouvert

rayword45 09-23-2018 07:25 PM

Day 473: 7 by Beach House (Album Choice: PixlSM)

Very synthy.
Very dreamy.
Very breathy.
Very same-y.
Very boring-y.

Well, there isn't really a BAD track in this collection so to speak, but this shit really is way too much of the same thing for my liking. The slower and dreamier the song, the better, but they're all of nearly equal quality. I'm usually a sucker for this atmosphere but it just ain't cutting it today.

This album doesn't deserve a better review.

Best Track: Dive

PixlSM 09-24-2018 10:52 AM

):