Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Do you see anything wrong? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=125496)

Emo_Saur_ 08-24-2012 10:24 AM

Do you see anything wrong?

I'm rather bothered by the post, I see nothing about family in here...No matter what, unless it's under extreme circumstances I'll always love my family whether or not we're still in contact or not because they are kin to me. She also openly admits that if you don't have god on your mind 99% of the time that you're basically nothing to her. I don't understand, why are people SO close minded that they can't listen "to the other side?" Discuss, I'm curious what others think about this.

oh, and since when has education been a deciding factor if you're a good christian or not? "Oh, he doesn't care about school he must love Lucifer and do drugs."

rushyrulz 08-24-2012 10:29 AM

Re: Do you see anything wrong?

Still waiting for society to give up on God.. if nobody ever believed in God, we'd probably be flying around in jet cars or something.

iironiic 08-24-2012 10:30 AM

Do you know that it there are some people who would group "family" under "friends"? There are many who also likes to keep them as their own separate categories.

Also about religion in general, I have this strange overall belief thinking to believe what you want to believe. If some people don't believe in God, fine. If some do, fine.

bballa48 08-24-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 3754201)
Still waiting for society to give up on God.. if nobody ever believed in God, we'd probably be flying around in jet cars or something.

I generally respect atheists for their beliefs, but when you go spewing out stuff like this it just angers me. It makes no sense and is 100% false-- and you know it.

Regarding the post, in THEORY putting God first means following his commands, which of course involve loving your family/friends/etc. Of course, some people do take the "God first" thing wayyyy too seriously. I have seen it first hand in my family. Nonetheless, I can assure you 90% of people who put God first are very involved with their friends and family.

VisD 08-24-2012 10:52 AM

Yeah there're all kinds of people, really, and while we may judge others according to our personal beliefs, it's not doing any of us any good to get ourselves all worked up over what someone else's personal beliefs are. We can believe what we will, but getting frustrated over others' beliefs without any real means of debate or discussion is pointless.

Live and let live - I think if most of us can do that, then more will have been done for the progress of man than any major shift towards or away from secularism could bring.

rushyrulz 08-24-2012 11:02 AM

Christian dark ages

MikeShinoda12345 08-24-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

if nobody ever believed in God, we'd probably be flying around in jet cars or something.

lolwut

please be ****ing kidding

prefx 08-24-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 3754211)
Christian dark ages

^ This

bballa48 08-24-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prefx (Post 3754214)
^ This

This dark age happened exactly when?

Hazelle 08-24-2012 11:43 AM

Silly girl.

This was how I was brought up:
Not very religious, never went to church except for weddings and funerals. Yes, I personally believe there's a God, but whatever. Anyway, my dad always noted that religion's a nice guidance for people if they're lost (don't kill or steal, etc. because that's bad). Otherwise, it wasn't a big focus for me growing up. Both parents went to catholic schools. My mom's a more heavier follower - her mindset's not as open as my dad's - she doesn't like athiests, or gays, but she's not gonna go picketing. (My sister is an athiest, and I don't think my mom knows - mom once brought up that athiests basically are going to hell. Sister didn't say anything, but was hurt).

Arguing with people about religion is like arguing whether or not the sky is blue. People have their viewpoints, and the close-minded ones are never going to change.

The end.

Hakulyte 08-24-2012 11:58 AM

@bballa48
Roman Empire Fall to Renaissance @ 500~1500. (ouch)

Philosophy classes should be mandatory in school and Religion should be a sub-section in this.
People need to learn how to think on their own, use arguments and some rationality.
Everyone on Planet Earth is agnostic until Bible is proven or refuted kkthxbai.

i heart candy 08-24-2012 12:05 PM

I honestly believe that this subject shouldn't be talked about on FFR.
I'm a person who does believe in God (I'm a Christian), but I'm not the type of person to shut someone out of my life because they do not necessarily agree with my beliefs;hence, all people are different anyway. People can believe whatever they want to believe and anybody who is anybody has that right.

inb4 this thread gets closed. :neutral:

NocturneAunamic 08-24-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

That was the most moronic comment I've ever read in my entire life I'm dying right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i heart candy (Post 3754231)

inb4 as well. Nothing cooks up a nice bowl of butthurt better than the old typical Religion Debate.

Izzy 08-24-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NocturneAunamic (Post 3754234)
That was the most moronic comment I've ever read in my entire life I'm dying right now.

inb4 as well. Nothing cooks up a nice bowl of butthurt better than the old typical Religion Debate.

Nullifidian 08-24-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i heart candy (Post 3754231)
I honestly believe that this subject shouldn't be talked about on FFR.
I'm a person who does believe in God (I'm a Christian), but I'm not the type of person to shut someone out of my life because they do not necessarily agree with my beliefs;hence, all people are different anyway. People can believe whatever they want to believe and anybody who is anybody has that right.

Why not talk about religion? What's so taboo about discussing religion vs areligion/science? As long as people stay civil and provide proper arguments to their viewpoints I see no problem in discussion of this topic. You might even learn a thing or two.

Also, any "proper" atheist should know not to denounce someone's claims entirely and if/when proven wrong, their viewpoint/theory should be adjusted accordingly. Anyone who insults other groups in the name of atheism gives atheism a bad name and is as bad as any radical religious person in my book. We can't possibly know if a god exists but given the current knowledge and advances in science, chances of a deity are -extremely- slim. So slim I choose to think there isn't and never will be a god. I could be wrong, but until proof shows up I don't assume I am.

wildfireskunk 08-24-2012 01:24 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography) - For those who need a history lesson :)

Although Christianity was largely a direct factor in the coming of the dark ages and the surpression of intellectuals during the period, there's probably an argument to say that as a whole religion has done a lot of good over the course of human history in bringing people together and getting them to work towards common causes, as well as being key in the creation of earlier large empires. Hell, even modern ones have religion to thank for helping them be somewhat stable during their creation (although they've also caused chaos, but hey-ho).

I'd say it's give and take, but without it I doubt we'd be any further ahead than we are now. I still think organised religion is all bs personally though ^^

Nullifidian 08-24-2012 01:30 PM

I think that those common causes could well have been there without religion. Human morals aren't drawn from religion but drawn from the fact that if we don't work together we're only hurting our own development, and I do think the suppression of science through religion had an effect on our development. Truth is though, we'll never know if religion had the impact people claim it had because we only have one course of history which is with the involvement of religion. We know no other course of history so we can't tell for sure yet. For all we know the same good or bad could have come in a past without religion. But right now is a time where areligion is no longer punished as herecy and people should draw their own conclusion based on common sense and logic.

customstuff 08-24-2012 02:04 PM

She obviously needs that education she apparently loves so much.

rushyrulz 08-24-2012 02:15 PM

This is truly disappointing.

I'd like to return to this line:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bballa48
I generally respect atheists for their beliefs, but when you go spewing out stuff like this it just angers me. It makes no sense and is 100% false-- and you know it.

and throw it back in your face since you clearly had no idea that the dark ages even existed.. I don't need to be a satan worshiper to look at scientific history and see that it got severely reamed by religion.

VisD 08-24-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ (Post 3754267)
But right now is a time where areligion is no longer punished as herecy and people should draw their own conclusion based on common sense and logic.

We don't burn people at the stake any more, but it's false to say this. Secularist beliefs are still punished by the community within many cities and countries; the punishment no longer comes in forms as obvious as jail and execution but it's definitely still there in some places. I'm thinking more along the lines of social ostracism, discrimination and so on. Less blunt but more insidious

*edit: and we all know what happens to apostates in many Islamic communities