Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151943)

choof 06-5-2020 03:43 PM

George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo

This Tear Gas Got Me Hella Fucked Up Bro

rayword45 06-5-2020 06:41 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo

gold stinger 06-5-2020 10:27 PM

Oh man didn't even notice the entire George Floyd thread got demolished from the time warp.

mi40 06-6-2020 02:28 AM

we found the solution
time travel back

gold stinger 06-6-2020 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4731112)
we found the solution
time travel back

naw we gotta time travel forward

ULTIMEGA 06-6-2020 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4731113)

Either way, it would take more energy than the universe has produced over its entire lifetime.

Shadow_God_10 06-6-2020 03:45 AM

I'd rather just live in 2019 forever tbh

Skullbac 06-6-2020 08:21 AM

I think there was a good reason why the other thread got deleted, and I don't think i have to explain it.

Andrew WCY 06-6-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULTIMEGA (Post 4731114)
Either way, it would take more energy than the universe has produced over its entire lifetime.

But that isn't possible, for you see, the universe has given us a finite amount of energy that could neither be created nor destroyed, which means we could not produce energy. We need another workaround.

choof 06-6-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullbac (Post 4731120)
I think there was a good reason why the other thread got deleted, and I don't think i have to explain it.

well the thread got nuked due to some database corruption and a rollback of like 2 weeks or something, may have had some positive outcomes but it is definitely not a good reason for things to be deleted lol

anyway blm fuck the government

ULTIMEGA 06-6-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew WCY (Post 4731121)
But that isn't possible, for you see, the universe has given us a finite amount of energy that could neither be created nor destroyed, which means we could not produce energy. We need another workaround.

So how do we solve THAT one?

melonpapes 06-6-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullbac (Post 4731120)

u r so big brain

inDheart 06-6-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731077)
This Tear Gas Got Me Hella Fucked Up Bro

excuse me i think you mean "pepper ball"

dAnceguy117 06-6-2020 08:47 PM

this thread is much better, let's keep this energy

dAnceguy117 06-6-2020 08:49 PM

unrelated, passing this along as it was passed to me, looking forward to doing homework:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1..._gukBlYkx0sONA

Funnygurl555 06-6-2020 09:07 PM

but i made that thread :(

dAnceguy117 06-7-2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731148)
but i made that thread :(

and if you were the only poster in that thread then it would have been good :cool:

aperson 06-7-2020 03:15 AM

If you want to understand the failures of police reform and see the pathway toward police abolition, Th End of Policing is currently free to download: https://www.versobooks.com/books/242...nd-of-policing

gold stinger 06-7-2020 04:22 AM

I've made a daily habit of checking the front page of Reddit any time that I'm bored and find myself at a loss of something to do. I haven't lived a day since these protests, where I haven't seen some video or evidence of police brutality posted somewhere. And every video or gif that I've seen, has been something recent and unique. Scares me as a Canadian.

choof 06-7-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4731166)
I've made a daily habit of checking the front page of Reddit any time that I'm bored and find myself at a loss of something to do. I haven't lived a day since these protests, where I haven't seen some video or evidence of police brutality posted somewhere. And every video or gif that I've seen, has been something recent and unique. Scares me as a Canadian.

short answer is to take a social media break and play some vidya

long answer
some of us are able to take a step back because the stuff going on doesn't currently affect us as much. what we do in our "down time" is very important, basically as long as whatever you're doing isn't a load of hypocritical ass then it's fine. spend some time on a hobby, read a book, listen to some music, do something to ensure you keep a level head while the fabrics of society begin to unravel.

aperson 06-7-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4731147)
unrelated, passing this along as it was passed to me, looking forward to doing homework:

Here's one that's organized in terms of where you are in antiracist awareness: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...sxXi7OP-zdT6WQ

ULTIMEGA 06-7-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inDheart (Post 4731144)
excuse me i think you mean "pepper ball"

No no no. The correct term is "stingy hurty water"

choof 06-7-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 4731179)
Here's one that's organized in terms of where you are in antiracist awareness: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...sxXi7OP-zdT6WQ

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4731147)

perfect resources for things to do if you decide to take a break from social media but feel guilty (rofl????) for keeping yourself mentally healthy, just stay away from twitter links and shit like that for now

there also this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...GdVxE-FoAlYzMg
a google doc w/ nearly 2000 black artists of varying shades of independence, worth checking out if you want to support black artists in some tangible way, just a massive list of potentially killer music. peruse for some genres that pique your interest, check out some music, toss ppl a few bucks, maybe make a chart idk

inDheart 06-7-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULTIMEGA (Post 4731180)
No no no. The correct term is "stingy hurty water"

someone's now tried to tell me it was smoke, and therefore not a gas

TheSaxRunner05 06-7-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4731113)

Actually you can time travel forwards, as in, you can travel slower through time relative to everyone else if you can accelerate yourself to near the speed of light, and then slow back down and come back to the rest of us (without splattering yourself from monstrous G forces). Then less time would have passed for you then everyone else, essentially forwards time travel.

Mollocephalus 06-7-2020 11:56 PM

No joke i'm watching this unfold popcorn in hand, but at least a lot of america's issues that were usually swept under the rug are now fully exposed and with better chances of being reformed.

What do you think will happen when the second wave of corona hits again? Numbers are already on the rise again and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the riots have been exacerbated by poor economic conditions.

aperson 06-8-2020 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollocephalus (Post 4731200)
No joke i'm watching this unfold popcorn in hand, but at least a lot of america's issues that were usually swept under the rug are now fully exposed and with better chances of being reformed.

What do you think will happen when the second wave of corona hits again? Numbers are already on the rise again and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the riots have been exacerbated by poor economic conditions.

I think a lot of it depends on whether we'll see a second round of stimulus at the end of July when the $600/wk unemployment payments dry up. If nothing else comes down the pipeline then revolution is on the table.

Jousway 06-9-2020 01:24 AM

have ya guys heard about the skullgirls drama
its YIKES

choof 06-9-2020 09:04 AM

is it really drama if it's just another day in edgy gamer land

okay I watched everything after the joke and jesus christ do people really think editing like this is funny?

DossarLX ODI 06-9-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731304)
okay I watched everything after the joke and jesus christ do people really think editing like this is funny?

There is an overused trend that if you show a college-age female with short hair yelling and portray stereotypes of the "fourth wave liberal feminist", it's supposed to be funny.

M0nkeyz 06-9-2020 03:08 PM

There is literally no worse crowd than the anti-SJW crowd.

mi40 06-9-2020 04:04 PM

there is literally no worse crowd than a crowd right now

practice social distancing folks

Funnygurl555 06-9-2020 05:24 PM

I like to think that if I cloned myself enough times and stood with my fellow selves then that would be the worst crowd imaginable.

choof 06-9-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 4731309)
There is an overused trend that if you show a college-age female with short hair yelling and portray stereotypes of the "fourth wave liberal feminist", it's supposed to be funny.

i mean i was talking specifically about the editing itself but yes strawmen are indeed Pretty Dumb

mellonxcollie 06-10-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731304)

I'm pretty sure that video had a target audience of 12 year olds

also fuck the police black and indigenous lives matter

roundbox 06-10-2020 10:40 AM

the video disgusts me solely for the fact that it features yanderedev (aka evaxephon) in the editing
dude is a mega creep but I'm not gonna derail the thread here

dAnceguy117 06-10-2020 10:51 AM

forgot to post this, in case anyone wants to donate to a good cause and get like two bajillion video game as a bonus

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-rac...e-and-equality

DaBackpack 06-12-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundbox (Post 4731353)
dude is a mega creep but I'm not gonna derail the thread here

I will

Fuck YandereDev

XelNya 06-12-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0nkeyz (Post 4731310)
There is literally no worse crowd than the anti-SJW crowd.

This isn't the place for this discussion, but I'mma have to put a pretty big disagree here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731315)
I like to think that if I cloned myself enough times and stood with my fellow selves then that would be the worst crowd imaginable.

Shit

choof 06-13-2020 11:24 AM

what do yall think about reform

inDheart 06-13-2020 01:47 PM

police departments are accidentally making good cases for further community investment that's not toward them. can we do that kind of reform?

aperson 06-13-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731488)
what do yall think about reform

It didn't work the last hundred times we tried it surely it will work this time.

choof 06-13-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 4731495)
It didn't work the last hundred times we tried it surely it will work this time.

I'd say I'm down for revolution but I don't want to buy a gun

choof 06-14-2020 12:35 AM

dAnceguy117 06-14-2020 03:21 AM

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Mollocephalus 06-16-2020 08:59 AM

Just an honest question from someone who has never set foot in the US: do you really believe that every cop in a 300 million people country is violent, racist, corrupted or something along these lines? I've seen a lot of extreme generalizations made during these protests and i'm curious to know if what was said in the heat of the moment is an actual opinion people have of their own law enforcement.

choof 06-16-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollocephalus (Post 4731631)
Just an honest question from someone who has never set foot in the US: do you really believe that every cop in a 300 million people country is violent, racist, corrupted or something along these lines? I've seen a lot of extreme generalizations made during these protests and i'm curious to know if what was said in the heat of the moment is an actual opinion people have of their own law enforcement.

what you think "all cops are bastards" means?
what do you think about the "extreme generalizations" made about protesters?

given the incidence rate of domestic violence from cops is anywhere from 20-40% (the actual stat is most likely higher), I'd say that a good number of them are at the very least violent
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...riends/380329/
http://womenandpolicing.com/violenceFS.asp

racism is baked into the system, our entire country was built using one of the most racist institutions the world has ever seen. don't forget that racial discrimination "ended" in 1968, less than 60 years ago. you can't get rid of racial discrimination in a single generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_immunity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence

not every cop is violent, racist, corrupted, etc. but every cop is complicit, and they will actively punish any cop who goes against the grain and speaks out about police brutality.

rayword45 06-16-2020 12:06 PM

^More reading on that last part, be sure to check the references since this is wikipedia! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence

Mollocephalus 06-17-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731633)
what you think "all cops are bastards" means?

:thinking emoji:
all cops are literally bastards i guess?

Quote:

what do you think about the "extreme generalizations" made about protesters?

In my country the protests were covered in a pretty neutral way, showing many accounts of police brutality, vandalism from the rioters and looters but also a lot of peaceful protesters with legitimate reasons to protest. I don't make generalizations and don't agree with them, especially seeing how they were strumentalized to justify the use of force.

Quote:

given the incidence rate of domestic violence from cops is anywhere from 20-40% (the actual stat is most likely higher), I'd say that a good number of them are at the very least violent
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...riends/380329/
http://womenandpolicing.com/violenceFS.asp

racism is baked into the system, our entire country was built using one of the most racist institutions the world has ever seen. don't forget that racial discrimination "ended" in 1968, less than 60 years ago. you can't get rid of racial discrimination in a single generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_immunity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence

not every cop is violent, racist, corrupted, etc. but every cop is complicit, and they will actively punish any cop who goes against the grain and speaks out about police brutality.

This is legit disgusting, only heard and read partial informations about these things before. But even then, being detached from the actual events I feel it's not really helping when you make a blanket statement about a whole category. It just further divides people into polarizing positions. Which if we wanna see things from a broader perspective is a big problem in the digital age. I would feel better about it if the slogan was against the system instead of the people.

choof 06-17-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollocephalus (Post 4731673)

This is legit disgusting, only heard and read partial informations about these things before. But even then, being detached from the actual events I feel it's not really helping when you make a blanket statement about a whole category. It just further divides people into polarizing positions. Which if we wanna see things from a broader perspective is a big problem in the digital age. I would feel better about it if the slogan was against the system instead of the people.

the blanket statement of "all cops are bastards" doesn't mean "fuck all cops" or "kill all cops" or whatever, it means "all cops are complicit in some way, shape or form." if some cops decide to put 19 rounds into a black kid (this has actually happened), those cops are absolutely bastards. but the quiet secretary who works solely at the precinct who sees the report and goes "huh yep this is okay," they're a bastard too.

inDheart 06-17-2020 08:04 PM

atlanta prosecutor seems like a good person

we found out in philly that the decision to kettle and gas protesters on 676 came all the way from the top, so that's fun. next escalation i bet they break out the IEDs

the sun fan 06-17-2020 10:19 PM

I, at risk of inviting criticism, refuse to believe all cops are bastards

one of my friends was a cop until last year (maybe a bit ago) EDIT: maybe a bit more than a year ago*
the very reason he quit was his disillusionment with the internal politics
was he a bastard up until the moment where he quit?
was he a bastard while he was on the force?

I can't seriously answer yes to these questions. I refuse to make a generalization that broad. There are good cops out there.

I cannot refute that the system is very, very bad. Not everyone involved is a bastard.

ilikexd 06-17-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4731708)

one of my friends was a cop until last year (maybe a bit ago) EDIT: maybe a bit more than a year ago*

I can't seriously answer yes to these questions. I refuse to make a generalization that broad. There are good cops out there.

I cannot refute that the system is very, very bad. Not everyone involved is a bastard.

Assuming your friend was in Alabama just going off your location, what would he do / have done if he found someone was in possession of cannabis for personal use?

(e: looks like both my posts here are about drug laws and I don't mean to detract from the issue at hand of police brutality, I'm just using it as a convenient wedge for questioning the ethics of being a police officer, even with good intentions)

mellonxcollie 06-17-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4731708)

The problem is that he was complicit until the moment that he quit.

But even if we want to say that your friend is a great person, anyone who is a decent person is either disillusioned, bullied out, fired for nonsense, fired for being a whistleblower, etc. The institution is built so that good people can't exist within it. These people are temporary cops imo

dAnceguy117 06-17-2020 11:03 PM

I personally like saying "fuck cops" 'cause it kind of implies "current and [especially] lifelong cops"

but really I'm just following the lead of little leftist circles I've started hovering around while I work on doing the bare minimum of educating myself in the background, lol. btw get the new humble bundle with 100% of proceeds going to helpful orgs y'all!!!!!

DaBackpack 06-17-2020 11:03 PM

replace "cop" with "SS soldier" and you'll understand pretty quickly

the sun fan 06-17-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4731709)
Assuming your friend was in Alabama just going off your location, what would he do / have done if he found someone was in possession of cannabis for personal use?

(e: looks like both my posts here are about drug laws and I don't mean to detract from the issue at hand of police brutality, I'm just using it as a convenient wedge for questioning the ethics of being a police officer, even with good intentions)

I live in Georgia (edit: now), not that anything has really changed from this side of the state border.

I... don't actually 100% know what he would've done. When he was still a cop, people there talked about smoking weed in front of him and another person who usually there was also a cop, and still is as far as I know.

If he were on the job, he probably would've """""done his job""""""
which I know is a bit of an ominous thing to say. I could ask him next time I see him what his stance is/was, and I probably will now.

Even if he believes in it, I still don't think it makes him a bastard.

mellonxcollie 06-17-2020 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4731715)
which I know is a bit of an ominous thing to say. I could ask him next time I see him what his stance is/was, and I probably will now.

To us it is an ominous thing to say, and something that people can have a "stance" on. To other people, mainly minorities and poor people, it means months, if not years behind bars for non-violent drug offenses

It's not just "ominous" when it is real people's lives being affected.

also if he "believes" that people who own cannabis for personal use deserve to be denied their personal freedom because of that, and actually has the power to enforce that belief, then he is a fascist bastard I'm really sorry

ilikexd 06-17-2020 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4731715)

If he says he would have done his job i.e. arrest them, often for incarceration, do you think that's that's an acceptable thing for him to do, especially in a way that is disproportionately harsh on people of color, especially when a few states over the same drug is so important it's declared an essential business during a pandemic?

the sun fan 06-17-2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4731716)
also if he "believes" that people who own cannabis for personal use deserve to be denied their personal freedom because of that, and actually has the power to enforce that belief, then he is a fascist bastard I'm really sorry

I can't say this about him

I obviously don't agree with it, maybe his stance isn't what I think it is, even if it is, I can't call him a "fascist bastard"

the sun fan 06-17-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4731718)
If he says he would have done his job i.e. arrest them, often for incarceration, do you think that's that's an acceptable thing for him to do, especially in a way that is disproportionately harsh on people of color, especially when a few states over the same drug is so important it's declared an essential business during a pandemic?

"acceptable" is a difficult word for me to talk about

if he believes it, even if I don't, and its not because of malice or something, I can still look him in the eye and enjoy talking to him/being around him

ilikexd 06-18-2020 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4731721)
"acceptable" is a difficult word for me to talk about

if he believes it, even if I don't, and its not because of malice or something, I can still look him in the eye and enjoy talking to him/being around him

What is malice if not the choice to deprive someone of their freedom?

the sun fan 06-18-2020 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4731724)
What is malice if not the choice to deprive someone of their freedom?

don't really think its malicious if he thought he was doing good

DaBackpack 06-18-2020 01:59 AM

It might be easier to navigate if we're more precise about the issue.

Personally, I don't really find holistic markers like "good person" and "bastard" super useful when it comes down to it. Your friend might, in general, be "a good person." When we say ACAB, it's a statement that "being a cop" is de facto a negative character trait. There is no way to spin "being a cop" into a consistently positive trait. This is at the heart of ACAB.

Your friend might donate to charity, volunteer at pet shelters, and be a community leader. These are positive traits that reflect well on him. But at the end of the day, none of these things "cancel out" his being a cop. People can be both good and bad.

The question you should be asking isn't "is there an example of a cop that I think is a good person?", but rather "is there a good person who I thought was good BECAUSE he was a cop?"

"He seems like a sweet guy, but he's a police officer." This right here illustrates this nuance. "He's a police officer", in this case, is positioned to form a juxtaposition with the clause "He seems like a sweet guy." The cop-ness DETRACTS from the original premise of "He seems like a sweet guy." That is ACAB.

Funnygurl555 06-18-2020 02:17 AM

it's cool that y'all are having talks about race but i'm starting to disagree with some stuff said here so here we go:

you can believe that acab while still valuing your friendship with a cop outside of their profession, imo.

for police, enforcing laws-- whether they agree with them or not-- is their responsibility. i wouldn't blame a cop for enforcing drug laws, so long as they did so indiscriminately (edit: does this happen? no). do i have an issue with drug laws period? yeah, but that's above cops' heads. there's some misguided anger going on here

ilikexd 06-18-2020 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731730)
for police, enforcing laws-- whether they agree with them or not-- is their responsibility. i wouldn't blame a cop for enforcing drug laws

It is only their responsibility as far as them being a police officer is not a choice. This is the Nuremberg defense ("I was only enforcing orders"), except nobody is under duress to not desert their position, which means simply resigning in this case.

Quote:

do i have an issue with drug laws period? yeah, but that's above cops' heads.

It's not higher than shoulder level.

choof 06-18-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

for police, enforcing laws-- whether they agree with them or not-- is their responsibility. i wouldn't blame a cop for enforcing drug laws, so long as they did so indiscriminately (edit: does this happen? no). do i have an issue with drug laws period? yeah, but that's above cops' heads. there's some misguided anger going on here

the problem with "enforcing laws" is that cops are straight up killing ppl when enforcing them

aperson 06-18-2020 12:17 PM

I-35 goes through my city. It was constructed at a time where redlining was a standard tactic of systemic racism. The black part of town was pushed to the east, the white part was pushed to the west. I-35 is an effective conduit that serves a lot of traffic. Regardless of how well or poorly it manages traffic flow, it still upholds the status quo of systemic racism by separating black and brown Austin from white Austin.

Being a cop is a lot like that interstate. Policing is an institution designed to uphold the status quo of systemic racism regardless of whether a cop is a good or bad person and regardless of whether they are a good or bad cop. The laws they are told to enforce and the criminal justice system that designs the punishment for those laws upholds systemic racism. Hiring cops with good hearts won't magically fix that problem.

Funnygurl555 06-18-2020 01:19 PM

what i'm trying to get at is that police are enforcing laws that higher bodies of government put into effect. if you're angry about drug laws, direct your anger to policymakers. cops don't make the laws happen.

i'm not saying that cops are not to blame for issues surrounding policing in general.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4731731)
It is only their responsibility as far as them being a police officer is not a choice. This is the Nuremberg defense ("I was only enforcing orders"), except nobody is under duress to not desert their position, which means simply resigning in this case.

this is gonna be an unfortunately controversial statement but it's human nature to follow authority even when there isn't anything significant to lose

aperson 06-18-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731756)
what i'm trying to get at is that police are enforcing laws that higher bodies of government put into effect. if you're angry about drug laws, direct your anger to policymakers. cops don't make the laws happen.

you can do both at once. and when you direct it at cops you lower their morale and they start quitting, which is what they're doing right now.

mellonxcollie 06-18-2020 03:20 PM

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confess...p-bb14d17bc759

I thought this article was pretty good

choof 06-18-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

i'm not saying that cops are not to blame for issues surrounding policing in general.

the problem is that police don't enforce the laws equally in different demographics, and again, can act with impunity. even if we are able to get drug laws changed (the DEA profits off of the war on drugs btw so good luck with that shit lmao), that doesn't guarantee anything.

Quote:

this is gonna be an unfortunately controversial statement but it's human nature to follow authority even when there isn't anything significant to lose
wat

ilikexd 06-18-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

That's not a controversial statement because it's a true statement. It's an untenable argument as a moral excuse for the action because every single wrongdoing that humans do is attributable to their human nature.

When a police officer is stricken by irrational fear for their safety and kills somebody who is not a threat with unjustified force, they are doing so because it's human nature to use force during such fear. And as far as a police officer doing so is not following some innate nature, but rather their training, which is their authority, they are following their human nature by following authority.

If you want to excuse human actions for being human nature, you have to first deny human moral agency.

Funnygurl555 06-18-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731782)
the problem is that police don't enforce the laws equally in different demographics, and again, can act with impunity. even if we are able to get drug laws changed (the DEA profits off of the war on drugs btw so good luck with that shit lmao), that doesn't guarantee anything.

yeah, i agree with you here. it's just that i've read stuff in the thread where people were blaming cops for enforcing drug laws in the first place

Quote:

wat
( ๑◔╰╯◔)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4731785)
That's not a controversial statement because it's a true statement. It's an untenable argument as a moral excuse for the action because every single wrongdoing that humans do is attributable to their human nature.

When a police officer is stricken by irrational fear for their safety and kills somebody who is not a threat with unjustified force, they are doing so because it's human nature to use force during such fear. And as far as a police officer doing so is not following some innate nature, but rather their training, which is their authority, they are following their human nature by following authority.

If you want to excuse human actions for being human nature, you have to first deny human moral agency.

honestly idk how to continue arguing about this. i'm not the best with words

roundbox 06-18-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731812)
yeah, i agree with you here. it's just that i've read stuff in the thread where people were blaming cops for enforcing drug laws in the first place

I mean, there's the part where you can choose not to enforce a law you believe in. think about the repercussions of people who would be sent to jail for years for a minor drug offense
yes, a cop can choose to ignore them, but quotas are a real thing and they don't give a fuck. they're more likely to fulfill their quota instead of show compassion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

this also exists within the power of citizens in the form of jury nullification

mellonxcollie 06-18-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4731812)

this is the same person who called me a bad person for calling someone who smoked crack as a mayor on video a "crackhead mayor"

do you actually care about drug addicts or nah???

choof 06-19-2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4731814)
do you actually care about drug addicts or nah???

this seems like a bit of a low blow
isn't funnygril an ex addict

Funnygurl555 06-19-2020 01:45 AM

y'all see why i don't like this chick now right

choof 06-19-2020 01:49 AM

tbf a lot of negative stereotypes of "crackheads" and shit like that are perpetuated by... cops
there was a television show that ran for literally 3 decades where the whole point was that drug addicts (and sex workers) were criminals. it was called cops for christ's sake lmao

Funnygurl555 06-19-2020 01:58 AM

yeah but i'm not saying that cops aren't shitty i'm saying that what gave them the ability to even be shitty in the first place wasn't their doing

like i'm not arguing that we don't blame cops for their own discriminatory acts or for their role in perpetuating racism. even then though, the situation's much more complicated than "cops are racist." it's not like someone magically becomes an asshole when they do become a cop or aspire to become one. america's racist and keeps raising racist people and that won't stop by pointing fingers at cops because every damn institution-- from health care to education to housing-- is racist and became that way through the same mechanisms that brought us our shitty police force

js, my comments never tried to cast the police force in a positive light

edit: i get that my posts could be construed that way because i have a habit of under explaining but also c'mon