Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 04-22-2021 12:00 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

Day 836: WOW by Mouse on Mars (Person who called it a 5/5: you know it already)

bperson I don't understand this was not as good as the last one, sure there were some bangers but some of these tracks actually sucked/were kinda annoying. It's still more good than bad but just, like, barely.

Also what's with all the dumb interludes (I think like 1 of those was good)

Welp, time for class.

Best Track: Pun
Rating: 6/10

freedg 04-22-2021 03:11 PM

My Heart, an Inverted Flame - Plague Notes, Unnamed, Unknown, A Finger Dragged Through Dust
electronic, metal, synth doom, drone, psychedelic, sludge

underscores - fishmonger
indie pop, hyperpop, electronic, indie rock, pop rock

still crisp - REPRESENTED BY PUPPETS
big beat, electronic, bass, chill, dubstep, funk, hardcore, hip hop, house, techno

aperson 04-22-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4760181)
Day 836: WOW by Mouse on Mars (Person who called it a 5/5: you know it already)

bperson I don't understand this was not as good as the last one, sure there were some bangers but some of these tracks actually sucked/were kinda annoying. It's still more good than bad but just, like, barely.

Also what's with all the dumb interludes (I think like 1 of those was good)

Welp, time for class.

Best Track: Pun

Every day I become more convinced your problem is low quality audio listening rig!!!! You can even still hear all the frequencies I can't with your babby zoomer ears too!

rayword45 04-25-2021 01:28 PM

Day 837: Sweep It Into Space by Dinosaur Jr

Well, this is a bit better than their 2016 album (which I like less now versus then) at least. Like... Maybe 2 percent less middling?

This took them 5 years to make? What the hell? When the reunion started they were cranking shit out significantly faster and those albums were all way better. Whatever.

Best Track: not gonna bother

rayword45 04-26-2021 02:53 PM

Day 838: AAI by Mouse on Mars (Album Choice: William Mah- eh...)

Once again old man, I'm not quite sure I understand your refrigerator taste. I'd say this was better than WOW but still had a lot of filler in there. Still, because it didn't seem quite as dated I'd ALMOST put it on par with the other one I listened to.

Best Track: No, seriously, FIND ME A JOB
Rating: 7/10

aperson 04-30-2021 12:21 AM

pdp iii - pilled up on a couple of doves

rayword45 05-5-2021 03:33 PM

Day 839: Yasuke by Flying Lotus

I actually liked this one a lot more than Flamagra, shorter songs do this man well!

Best Track: eat my ass
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 05-12-2021 07:13 PM

Day 840: In the Corners of a Sphere-Filled Room by Pile

Well, y'all all know or SHOULD know how much I love this fucking band. I still think they're the absolute greatest thing to ever come out of my hometown of Boston. This album is a real departure from their norm though, with no actual verse-chorus-verse songs or pop-friendly structures to be found. Instead, this is a mix of what mostly seems like jams or demos mashed together and fucked with to create a sort of ambient/post-rocky experience.

Do I like it? Yeah, I do, but not as much as I usually enjoy these guys, and I expect I'll be returning to it a lot less than I STILL return to Special Snowflakes or Don't Touch Anything or Pets or Worms. I applaud Rick for being experimental as all heck but I want an album of songs.

Best Track: Do you like waffles? Yeah we like waffles. Do you like pancakes? Yeah we like pancales. Do you like Fre
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 05-20-2021 02:00 PM

Day 841: Play With the Changes by Rochelle Jordan

It's good. I should have sex to this album.

Best Track: job
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 05-21-2021 02:46 PM

Day 842: Bright Green Field by Squid

The first few moments of this album I thought it was gonna sound like some dub shit, but nope. This sounds more like Nomeansno more than anything.

This is either an album I'll come to love upon a few more listens, or I'll realize that I like it even less than I do now. As of right now? Middling. Some really great tracks, some boring ones, but almost all of them could be trimmed quite significantly.

Best Track: Peel St
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 05-30-2021 10:27 AM

Day 843: something by Skee Mask from 2021

Good songs, too long.

Best Track: my sex life sucks

rayword45 06-2-2021 03:49 PM

Day 844: Shiesty Season by Pooh Shiesty

A bunch of nerdy anime/hip-hop groups I'm in on social media are claiming you can't diss J Cole if you like this guy and listen to him.

And I don't get it. This guy's lyrics and flow are nothing to write home about, the songs all sound pretty same-y and the beats are generic yet... This is probably one of my favorites this year so far.

Fuck, do I have to listen to the new J Cole now?

Best Track: could someone please eat my ass
Rating: 8/10

dAnceguy117 06-4-2021 05:14 PM

Porter Robinson - Nurture

just putting this here so I could be the first asshole to put this here, but I'm curious to see a review

rayword45 06-8-2021 08:03 AM

Day 845: Cavalcade by black midi

Brutal prog? Where's the brutal?

Best Track: Either the opener or Chondromalacia Patella. I hate these song titles (yet don't mind IDM titles go figure)
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 06-8-2021 09:29 AM

Day 846: The Off-Season by J Cole

I've come to the conclusion that the people who diss Pooh Shiesty to defend this guy

A. Spend WAYYY too much time debating PS4 vs Xbox
B. Wished they were Goku as a kid
C. Would have the aux ripped from them at any party

It's not terrible but it's completely forgettable, there's not a single real standout here, and some of those spiritual lyrical miracle bars are truly awful, especially when he references shit like cancel culture or whatever the internet perceives as a sneak diss on Noname.

Okay next album.

Best Track: foreskin
Rating: 4.5/10

barfood 06-13-2021 08:58 AM

Bo Burnham Inside

rayword45 06-14-2021 12:31 PM

Day 847: Skitzofrenia Simulation by Sewerslvt

I liked the last one but haven't returned to it much. I REALLY like this one, it makes me want to rave, the whole album plays out like a set at a rave I'd want to be at, with a variety of moods and speeds.

No Moral Orel samples this time but IMO that's a good thing despite my love of the show.

I can't make a funny here.

Best Track: Existing Everywhere
Rating: 9/10

I like it 06-14-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4762077)
Porter Robinson - Nurture

just putting this here so I could be the first asshole to put this here, but I'm curious to see a review

aoty

rayword45 06-15-2021 10:49 AM

Day 848: The Fool by Bladee

I mean, it's really same-y, it's generally pleasant enough, it's rarely TERRIBLE... I'm going back to work

Best Track: Hotel Breakfast (almost typed Japanese there)

I typed those in reverse by accident and don't feel like fixing it

rayword45 06-15-2021 02:52 PM

Day 849: Worlds by Porter Robinson

Okay so this is another one where I was planning to review it way back in the day somewhat closer to when it was released or something, listened to it several times, then forgot to review it. Now I'm doing it because I have requests to listen to his new album and I probably was gonna do it anyways, but why not go back to this first and finally get this logged in?

And, yeah, it's mostly how I remember it. Back then I probably would've said "these songs are mostly too long and have the same vibe to them all, even though they're not BAD, and I bet I'd enjoy this a lot more if I was on MDMA or something."

Let's amend that.

These songs are mostly too long and have the same vibe to them all, even though they're not BAD, and I would 100% enjoy this more if I was on some sort of empathogen or really any substance. I don't dislike this stuff, I just don't need a whole hour of it while doing mundane tasks. The short interlude (I think it's supposed to be one?) is actually my favorite because it's the weirdest thing.

I also bet you had I done this back in 2014 or so I would've put way more effort in. I'm trying this time to add words because I want something of semi-substance... Nah that's redundant, I'm just spewing word vomit.

Corporate life sucks. But I'm seeing this guy live in October fuck yeah

Best Track: Natural Light
Rating: 6/10 (but if I was on drugs, a 9/10!)