Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Songs and Artist Permissions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   TGWP (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=120961)

ninjaKIWI 10-29-2011 11:13 PM

TGWP

Should not be in the Classic genre. The instrument might be a piano, but they're just renditions of music from video games. Arcade is where they belong IMO.

PrawnSkunk 10-29-2011 11:21 PM

Re: TGWP

+1

This could also apply to Cid's Theme, Tetrix Remix, Windwaker unplugged, 600AD and many others.
These songs arn't classical - they're piano.

psychoangel691 10-29-2011 11:30 PM

I think we should do away with genres and organize by difficulty instead. I mean think about it we have like 49857309583490 things in dance which is really like all different types of electronic music. Then the rest of the genres are pretty slim in comparison.

ninjaKIWI 10-29-2011 11:34 PM

I think you're probably right, actually. A lot of people I know have done away with the genres and just use the song list/search function now. That in conjunction with the genres would probably fine though, as I myself still do use them.

jimerax 10-29-2011 11:38 PM

Classical = performance or arrangement of songs composed more than 50 years ago + any songs performed only by classical instruments that don't apply to any other genres.

Arcade = arrangement of video games + 8-bit/16-bit music.

They can be in both but put in classical because it has fewer songs.

and yeah genres will be totally re-organized in the future engine.
"arcade" isn't based on the style of music, and it's completely useless to put all arrangements of un-popular game music in this genre.

ninjaKIWI 10-29-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimerax (Post 3559255)
Classical = performance or arrangement of songs composed more than 50 years ago + any songs performed only by classical instruments that don't apply to any other genres.

I agree with this for the most part, though since these are clearly just video game arrangements I think they belong in arcade.

Quote:

Arcade = arrangement of video games + 8-bit/16-bit music.
Yup.

Quote:

They can be in both but put in classical because it has fewer songs.
I don't think that's really a good reason.

Quote:

and yeah genres will be totally re-organized in the future engine.
"arcade" isn't based on the style of music, and it's completely useless to put all arrangements of un-popular game music in this genre.
I think that's a pretty flimsy argument. A video game arrangement is a video game arrangement.

Quote:

"arcade" isn't based on the style of music
What do you mean?

who_cares973 10-30-2011 12:12 AM

he's referring to arcade as a genre

bmah 10-30-2011 12:19 AM

jimerax is saying that "arcade" is a nebulous term when you put it into the context of music genres. We can be referring to how the song sounds (e.g. 8-bit music) to what the song represents (e.g. a remix or medley).

I've talked about this before, and to put it succinctly, we try our best to organize songs that can fit into more than one category into the best category possible. As you can imagine, it's not always easy to figure this out.

Also, keep in mind that by putting every single VG arrangement into the arcade category is not very feasible, as it turns into a melange of individual genres. When an FFR layman plays the game, he/she is not expected to know what touhou is. As a general note, we're only adding well-recognized songs or VG-sounding music into the arcade category. Remixes that sound closer to a different genre will be placed into their respective categories. In this case, it's been decided that TGWP is more "classical" than "arcade".

FFR originally started with several categories, Arcade being one of them. Since I doubt this would change, you can say then that the root cause of the problem originated long ago. Synthlight would've never thought of the complications an "arcade" genre would create.

ninjaKIWI 10-30-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3559278)
Also, keep in mind that by putting every single VG arrangement into the arcade category is not very feasible, as it turns into a melange of individual genres. When an FFR layman plays the game, he/she is not expected to know what touhou is. As a general note, we're only adding well-recognized songs or VG-sounding music into the arcade category. Remixes that sound closer to a different genre will be placed into their respective categories. In this case, it's been decided that TGWP is more "classical" than "arcade". .

I really disagree with this, but I guess I do see where you're coming from.

bmah 10-30-2011 01:12 AM

I expect some people to disagree, but I have to draw the line somewhere. At that point, it becomes rather petty.

sakura080789 10-30-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 3559248)
I think we should do away with genres and organize by difficulty instead. I mean think about it we have like 49857309583490 things in dance which is really like all different types of electronic music. Then the rest of the genres are pretty slim in comparison.

i agree with this

Emithith 10-30-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 3559248)

Like instead of "Arcade" and "Dance 2" etc. Easiest, Easy, Challenging, For Gurus Only, and so on?

I like that idea. I never liked the lists in the first place, when I started. I was always thinking that when I went into Arcade the difficulty curve was extremely high and the lists didn't make sense.

bmah 10-30-2011 02:03 AM

We already have difficulty sorting, at least if you use the song list to choose a file to play. I suppose the song wheel itself could have an option to flip the way you view a song via the wheel (sort of like how there are various parameters of sorting in SM when you choose a song to play).

FFR's main categories/genres are a novelty and should be kept though.

AlexDest 11-2-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3559312)
FFR's main categories/genres are a novelty and should be kept though.

I agree with this completely. These categories are a unique way of sorting out the songs, and it has been so for years now. Sorting them out by difficulty (IMO) is frankly dull, and it is just another way of putting other players in categories determining skill level. Remember, this is a "rhythm/music" game.