Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Technology (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Bandwidth issues (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=134704)

Spenner 01-14-2014 08:54 PM

Bandwidth issues

I've been told that I've been using way too much bandwidth, and I haven't been doing anything out of the norm. Virus scans haven't detected anything so I don't believe that would be the cause for a lot of bandwidth being used. I don't download a lot of things, sometimes I watch youtube vids for a bit, that's really all... oh, and skype is on a lot. I'm also browsing message boards a hell of a lot. But I feel like those would be the least of my worries for bandwidth suckage... but possibly not. I'm just generally confused about this issue I have to fix.

I know basically nothing about the lingo of bandwidth and how to read and understand the monitoring program I've got... is there a way that someone can explain about pinpointing what programs/websites specifically would be using the most bandwidth that I can try to avoid?

Would be much appreciated, thank you~ gonna have to start chipping in a lot more for the internet in the house if I don't find a way to fix this.

Poison- 01-14-2014 09:00 PM

Re: Bandwidth issues

Skype uses a ton.

Untimely Friction 01-14-2014 09:24 PM

It can't be THAAAT much, its quite heavily p2p

Edit: My skype idling isn't even using 1 kb/s

Pseudo Enigma 01-14-2014 09:36 PM

what's your bandwidth cap OP?

p.s. just increase the bandwidth. The cost to accommodate the usage is (usually) less than the cost of over doing it. It's how they getcha

Artic_counter 01-14-2014 09:54 PM

You can use Networx to track your bandwith usage. Even though it doesn't let you see which site/program consume bandwith the most, it gives you the stats in real time and stores it up in hourly/weekly/monthly stats so you can figure it out on your own.

Fun fact about bandwith: Let's say there is a 3 Mb video on youtube that you like. Each time you go see it, you use 3Mb of bandwith in order to load it. The same amount as if you had downloaded it on your computer. Therefore, if you go see it 3 times, it will have been the same as if you had downloaded it 3 times. The more you know.

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

RNGRX 01-14-2014 10:54 PM

I'm surprised you could use that much. Is your wifi secure? It could be someone is using your internet.

Spenner 01-15-2014 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artic_counter (Post 4060094)
You can use Networx to track your bandwith usage. Even though it doesn't let you see which site/program consume bandwith the most, it gives you the stats in real time and stores it up in hourly/weekly/monthly stats so you can figure it out on your own.

Fun fact about bandwith: Let's say there is a 3 Mb video on youtube that you like. Each time you go see it, you use 3Mb of bandwith in order to load it. The same amount as if you had downloaded it on your computer. Therefore, if you go see it 3 times, it will have been the same as if you had downloaded it 3 times. The more you know.

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

Damn, this is good to know, i always play long videos on youtube as i fall asleep.

Izzy 01-15-2014 09:00 AM

I always have whatpulse running and it can also keep track of data downloaded and data uploaded. I think it even tells you what programs are doing it in the newest one.

edit: Guess not on the specific programs thing, but I have it pulse once per day so I can see daily statistics.

http://whatpulse.org/izzydata#pulses

dAnceguy117 01-15-2014 09:47 AM

a bit of info:

YouTube

I rarely think about my bandwidth usage, but I pay attention to data usage on my phone, which would be similar.

video w/ audio > audio > images > text

edit: for the most part, lol.

clasko1000 01-15-2014 10:21 AM

Or you could be me, Im getting substantial packet loss right now and it turns out it was Comcast's shitty equipment. Its going to be replaced soon.

For me: I send info 1,2,3,4,5 -- I recieve 1,2,4,5 -- Computer realizes it never recieved 3 and asks for it again -- i get 3. All the bandwidth...

To be clear, I really enjoy my internet.

Spenner 01-16-2014 04:02 PM

I've started monitoring everything very closely and it's definitely skype calls to my girlfriend that add up a lot, and video streaming. Skype uses so much even when I'm not talking to people, it's lame.

I wish there were a really reliable ISP I could switch to. Teksavvy looks great other than the fact that some people can go weeks with no service. Bah. But unlimited band + 25mbps is so much better than the 80gb cap + 15mbps we are paying almost TWICE the amount for.

RNGRX 01-16-2014 04:04 PM

I don't even know how you can have an 80GB cap. I go through about 600GB a month.

Spenner 01-17-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNGRX (Post 4060888)
I don't even know how you can have an 80GB cap. I go through about 600GB a month.

This is shared with another laptop, ipad, two smart phones : | I don't understand.

Gundam-Dude 01-17-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNGRX (Post 4060888)

back in high school, I used to survive with a 60GB cap every month with 10~20GB to spare at the end of the month. mind you, the most of my bandwidth use came from streaming videos and occasionally downloading anime

right now, I'm surviving with 150GB every month

how you can use 600GB a month is beyond my comprehension

Kekeb 01-17-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spenner (Post 4060886)
Teksavvy looks great other than the fact that some people can go weeks with no service.

I don't know whereabouts you live in Canada, but I've been with teksavvy for a few years and the only downtime I've had was a 2 day stretch a few months ago. The service has been a lot better than rogers, though. No cap that I can blow out in a week, and no more random disconnects.

Izzy 01-17-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude (Post 4061230)
how you can use 600GB a month is beyond my comprehension

Lets calculate my bandwidth.
http://whatpulse.org/stats/users/440...isyear/#pulses

Download: 3.08 TB = 3153 GB
Upload 4.53 TB = 4638.72 GB
Time: 47.5 weeks = 11.875 months

Download: 265.5 GB / Month
Upload: 390.62 GB / Month

Although this is over a long period of time, I've probably gone a month with 600gb and then another month with 100.

Edit: Funny considering my download speeds are 10 times greater than my upload speeds.

popsicle_3000 01-17-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

back in high school, I used to survive with a 60GB cap every month

back in high school, I had dial-up

Quote:

right now, I'm surviving with

internet has now been deemed necessary for survival

Pseudo Enigma 01-17-2014 02:45 PM

yo give this a spin, ISP review sites LOVE HIM
err
but yeah I've heard good things about this company and wanted to take it for a whirl
http://www.start.ca/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 4061249)
Edit: Funny considering my download speeds are 10 times greater than my upload speeds.

it aint easy being seedy

Spenner 01-17-2014 02:47 PM

Thanks for the link, if they have a consistent enough reputation so far then that might be the one B)

EDIT: When there are problems it looks like they're on the fukkn ball. Great stuff, gonna look into it. AND they're in London, way cool. I could just walk up to their doorstep if I have an issue. When the internet grinch gets home from work I'll be pitching these guys to him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kekeb (Post 4061240)
I don't know whereabouts you live in Canada, but I've been with teksavvy for a few years and the only downtime I've had was a 2 day stretch a few months ago. The service has been a lot better than rogers, though. No cap that I can blow out in a week, and no more random disconnects.

Good to know, another +1 for teksavvy, though I don't think it'll happen with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 (Post 4061222)
Call who you're with and threaten to switch or whatever. My parents used to have unlimited for a certain price for a long time until one day Bell said "yeah we're not doing unlimited anymore so here's a cap...also we're gonna charge you more money for less service haha pce." After a while my Dad called and said that he didn't want their internet anymore and was gonna switch but they said "hold your horses mate....how about we give you unlimited again?" Now my parents have no cap and pay less than I do for my internet, which is also through Bell and has a cap.

Also youtube is a big source of bandwidth for sure. One month my sister racked up over a hundred gigs just by watching tons of HD videos of people cleaning their rooms or showing off their boy band merch.

That's what my dad has done in the past, however they haven't given him unlimited, I think they just slightly increased his cap enough to keep him with rogers. I'll get him to call rogers before any big changes and see if they can offer him better shit. Though for the same price he's been paying, star apparently has way faster unlimited internet by default, and won't even need to pay for installation. Sounds p deece.