Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My bizarre, inventive playing style (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=94626)

Skeleton-GotW 06-19-2008 02:08 AM

My bizarre, inventive playing style

As you may know, most people with really good average ranks play with spread setup in some form or another. I don't pretend to be amazing or anything, but I'm pretty accomplished and I'd like to share my playing style with you.

For a long time I used 3 fingers on the arrow keys with 2 hands.
Left: index
Right: middle and ring

However, this became more and more ineffective as spread songs kept being added to the game over time. And now, because they're everywhere, I've adapted.

What I do is play through a song for the first time with my regular style (that 3 fingers and 2 hands thing) ignoring misses and whatnot, pinpointing all of the key spots where a 4-fingered setup is required (if any). Then, during the second playthrough, I use my original style in most spots and switch to this 4-fingered setup on the arrow keys almost instantaneously when needed.

(Left:middle and index
Right:middle and ring)

This strategy enables me to
A) keep my PA with the style I'm used to when the song isn't extremely difficult
B) nail satanic spread-biased patterns if I need to

Why do this?
I hate hitting those god-awful left+down trills and up+right trills and other patterns that suck on spread or 4 fingers w/ arrow keys.

Maybe it's semi-retarded and I should just practice spread more. Maybe it works and I just need to improve. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Apeescape 06-19-2008 02:21 AM

Re: My bizarre, inventive playing style

Thats basically my playing style except I use my right index for down arrow. My style is really uncomfortable.

Tasselfoot 06-19-2008 02:48 AM

why middle/ring instead of the standard 3-finger approach of index/middle? seems like you'd have more speed with index/middle... yet the same indexability of still being 3-finger. also seems like your hands will get in the way of each other less with index/middle.

i'd suggest talking to smartdude, who is the 3-finger king. although he did switch to spread a while back.

regardless... if it works for you, that's all that matters.

Skeleton-GotW 06-19-2008 02:50 AM

Thanks. Maybe I'll try that index + middle thing haha. Yeah i get random boos with middle + ring sometimes... especially when I switch to the 4-fingered setup.

adlp 06-19-2008 03:03 AM

if you want to play bizarre then try pettanko

TC_llama499 06-19-2008 03:09 AM

i play what i like to call "super spread haha"

left hand on zx right on 86

Crizo92 06-19-2008 03:12 AM

I just play index =|

Also super spread would be something along the lines of `1*-

makdaddy 06-19-2008 08:34 AM

askl

sjoecool1991 06-19-2008 08:46 AM

Nothing beats my play style.
See this? I play FFR with it.

Triangle=left
Circle=up
L1=right
X=down.

Dominewyorican 06-19-2008 08:47 AM

It's not that bizarre. I use middle/ring on both hands lol. I think it's reffered to as Pettanko or something. I have a pic of it on my profile.

sjoecool1991 06-19-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominewyorican (Post 2220908)
It's not that bizarre. I use middle/ring on both hands lol. I think it's reffered to as Pettanko or something. I have a pic of it on my profile.

Pettanko is ring, pinky on both hands.

Dominewyorican 06-19-2008 08:49 AM

Then someone informed me wrong. Well idk what my style is then.

Knoobish 06-19-2008 10:53 AM

Using your middle/ring finger is about the most ineffective style you could use, since they're both connected to the same tendon. You're fighting your own human anatomy, not FFR >.>

SeanFury 06-19-2008 12:24 PM

I play with WASD and IJKL with my left and right hand. I only use my forefinger, middle, and ring too.

Tasselfoot 06-19-2008 12:59 PM

Sean: that has to be a custom setup... is known as "double setup" and is considered cheating. anything involving 2 sets of inputs being used at once is cheating.

.Holy 06-19-2008 06:15 PM

I used to kind of play like that.

Dominewyorican 06-19-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knoobish (Post 2220989)
Using your middle/ring finger is about the most ineffective style you could use, since they're both connected to the same tendon. You're fighting your own human anatomy, not FFR >.>

I kid you not when I say I'm going to take this into serious consideration. I've played middle/ring on both hands since I first started. Slowly I've just upped the speed mod and after a while it's just been working. But I've somehow hit a bump.

I'm not going to lie my hands have felt like they're just not working with me sometimes. It's like I can see the arrows but it just won't work well. I might have to put some tape over my pinky and ring finger so that I don't use them but starting tonight I'm going to try exclusively using my index/middle on both hands. It will take me a while but I don't want to stay at Difficult/Very Difficult for the rest of my FFR "Career."

Wish me luck :)
And again...thanks for the info.

Skeleton-GotW 06-19-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knoobish (Post 2220989)

Clearly. The middle and ring fingers are far weaker than the pinky, making pettanko or w/e (ring + pinky) a more efficient style. Definitely. PS: index is great for jumpstream.

StepmaniaGod6969 06-19-2008 09:28 PM

I play 3 finger left index and right middle and index and I'm pretty good at this game.
I'm best at trills, runningmen, and streams.

HellsRequiem 06-19-2008 09:46 PM

I use spread with Middle and Index on down and left, and also Middle and Index on right and up. It's a pretty comfortable setup. :)