Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Films and Television (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   So I just started building up a movie collection... (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=145633)

James May 09-30-2016 05:06 PM

So I just started building up a movie collection...

Like the title says, I just started to build up a movie collection. Starting with The Criterion Collection. After watching Yojimbo, Fahrenheit 451, Soylent Green, Perfect Blue and a few other movies one day with a friend (In a row heh...), figured that I give a look around Amazon, Criterion Collection and so forth.

So I ordered Kurosawa's Rashomon (because Ran was Out of Print rip) and Kobayashi's Harakiri...thoughts? Also, I got these just after ordering them yesterday heh...that was a fast delivery x3x

Also, rip my wallet unless a Flash Sale comes from the site ;3;

Also, just in case anyone is curious... https://www.criterion.com/
(And for some reason The Rock and Armageddon is in there...whyyy D: )

Dinglesberry 09-30-2016 05:44 PM

Re: So I just started building up a movie collection...

That looks sick, I love collecting things like that, personally I just have old games tho

You should hit up some flea markets, you can find random stuff at them for cheap, way cheaper than online.. I have a couple nearby, they nice, you need to look for people just randomly selling their old dvds/vhs or whatnot and sometimes you can find nice stuff for cheap

MarioNintendo 09-30-2016 05:48 PM

Do you have Braindead/Dead Alive? I don't collect movies, but this is one movie I'm super happy of owning.

James May 09-30-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4479990)
That looks sick, I love collecting things like that, personally I just have old games tho

You should hit up some flea markets, you can find random stuff at them for cheap, way cheaper than online.. I have a couple nearby, they nice, you need to look for people just randomly selling their old dvds/vhs or whatnot and sometimes you can find nice stuff for cheap

I actually have several VHS stuff...I should take a pic of it...have the entire trilogy of The Godfather on VHS haha.

@MN: Nope :c

Also, for movies, I prefer to use Criterion if they have it as they do the better transfers. Looking forward to getting Pan's Labryinth, Punch-Drunk Love, the entire collection of Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (all 25 movies hnnng), Blow Out, 3:10 to Yuma (the original version), Brazil, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and other things

MinaciousGrace 09-30-2016 11:56 PM

akira kurosawa

i approve

robertsona 11-16-2016 11:33 PM

you should try the streaming service filmstruck, it comes with "the criterion channel" and a 12-day free trial

As far as Japanese directors go I really recommend Yasujiro Ozu who has a totally singular style. Very different from Kurosawa et al. though

demonllama6124 11-17-2016 04:42 PM

You should get Old Boy. God, that movie was good.

James May 11-17-2016 10:25 PM

Just got The Birds on Blu-ray for $10 at Wal-mart and the 25th Anniv. Edition of Akira for $5 at Wal-mart as well haha

James May 11-18-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonllama6124 (Post 4494225)
You should get Old Boy. God, that movie was good.

I saw Old Boy on Netflix, definitely a great movie

robertsona 11-18-2016 03:31 PM

Oh yeah, Barnes and Noble is selling Criterions for 50 percent off until the end of the month

James May 12-8-2016 06:47 PM

A bump: Got to order one of the Eclipse Collections, more specifically the Postwar Kurosawa collection. Looking to potentially get Punch Drunk Love, Nashville and one other film once a flash sale happens again...

So I'll be getting The Idiot, One Wonderful Sunday, Scandal, I Live in Fear and No Regrets For Our Youth in that collection
https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/51...stwar-kurosawa

I'm also planning on getting this: https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/12...e-wolf-and-cub

Shikari 12-8-2016 07:12 PM

Get yourself some Terry Gilliam.

James May 12-8-2016 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikari (Post 4500752)
Get yourself some Terry Gilliam.

Brazil, Fear and Loathing, those two are definitely in my must haves

When the next sale happens, my goal movies: Drunken Angel, Punch Drunk Love and maybe either Nashville or the Lone Wolf and Cub collection

happyhardcor3 12-9-2016 11:23 AM

did you see "i saw the devil" it was on Netflix for a while but I think they removed it. AMAZING movie

James May 12-10-2016 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhardcor3 (Post 4500951)
did you see "i saw the devil" it was on Netflix for a while but I think they removed it. AMAZING movie

I did see it. I do say that Korean movies do definitely have their charm and I love Old boy, The Hose, and I saw the Devil specifically.

IamMe90 12-10-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James May (Post 4501174)
I did see it. I do say that Korean movies do definitely have their charm and I love Old boy, The Hose, and I saw the Devil specifically.

i'm just watching this movie now because of these posts, thanks! wasn't even aware it existed

have you seen a tale of two sisters by the same director? pretty phenomenal movie imo. way better than the garbage american remake "the uninvited"