Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Tournaments (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   12th Official Tournament (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151110)

psychoangel691 09-26-2019 10:56 PM

Re: 12th Official Tournament

As a side note I'll be subbing out loot burn with mario since there was a lot of concern from the community.

Shxfted 09-26-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flossy_ (Post 4699279)
so do we have files for all of illegal nervous habits on ffr yet

I'll be submitting adcar to the current batch ;))

11brendon 09-27-2019 01:24 AM

so much jumptrill
my final message. Goodb ye

hi19hi19 09-27-2019 01:39 AM

local alien man perishes in bike accident

ositzxz369 09-27-2019 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flossy_ (Post 4699279)
so do we have files for all of illegal nervous habits on ffr yet

There's 5 remaining songs in the album (out of a total of 9 songs) that don't have a file in FFR. The 4 current ones we have are Fast Asleep, RATO, Cest What, and Staple on Smile.

hi19hi19 09-27-2019 03:27 AM

what we really need is someone to step all 6 minutes of The Bird's Snapshot Lifespan as a 95+ song so we can have a skill token to unlock it by playing the three other Bird Having A Shitty Life songs

too bad Snapshot Lifespan is objectively the least steppable of the four (which is probably why nobody has done it yet)

Moria 09-27-2019 03:58 AM

cornman raises the point that most illegal nervous habits are cuts, even rato is like 5 mins long iirc

before d00d gone crazy comes out of retirement someone did chart the full song in the vsrg minipack pack, which was definitely ffr quality tier, so theres something if the community is interested

DMRIw ily

edit: well he didnt raise the point cause he was talking a different album but he made me aware of the point, go figure

Charu 09-27-2019 04:26 AM

Actually disappointed that the full version of Cest What wasn't used, dohoho.

I also super preferred AJs take on the file from Dragon's Fury than what I saw in the preview, but ah well.

AD4M-V 09-27-2019 01:13 PM

Made a few banner modifications for the upcoming finals. Best of luck to the remaining contestants - get that gold!

EtienneSM 09-27-2019 01:20 PM

Love the generic js patterns into jumptrill transitions for the D8 file

Charu 09-27-2019 01:37 PM

Sounds like you're not a fan, oof.

Moria 09-27-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shxfted (Post 4699283)
I'll be submitting adcar to the current batch ;))

adcar is so good, dont disappoint

my keyboard broke so im stuck here just listening to music for the rest of my life, i broke out illegal nervous habits because what better way to spend my time. and this song has made my existence worth continuing, i hope your chart can too

psychoangel691 09-27-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD4M-V (Post 4699336)
Made a few banner modifications for the upcoming finals. Best of luck to the remaining contestants - get that gold!

But but, you missed the red o

XD

love it though

Gradiant 09-27-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EtienneSM (Post 4699337)
Love the generic js patterns into jumptrill transitions for the D8 file

damn, never happy

Moria 09-27-2019 03:29 PM

generic is just cool words for obviously works

V-Ormix 09-27-2019 03:40 PM

etinne is number 2

Antori 09-27-2019 03:44 PM

alien lair is my favorite file of the tourney cause it has the most un-generic patterns

MarioNintendo 09-27-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antori (Post 4699356)
alien lair is my favorite file of the tourney cause it has the most un-generic patterns

Thanks antori

AD4M-V 09-27-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 4699350)
But but, you missed the red o

XD

love it though

Oh, heck. I blame the, uh,

frame skips.

TD_s3b0u 09-28-2019 06:22 AM

LAST ROUND!!! GIVE ME THAT PERLER ARROW 🥰🥰🥰🥰 GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE :D

qrrbrbirbel 09-28-2019 10:18 AM

Congrats to dragonman2, hard_choices, lukeoid, theropfather, Riotpolice, FirstMaple8, rCaliberGX, and Shxfted for winning the ramen!

You'll have one week after FINAL ROUND CLOSES to contact me through here in pms or discord (Qrrbrbirbei#0980) to get your ramen on the way.

12 packs of the generic college ramen CAN be swapped for fewer packs of greater quality just as an FYI

Psychotik 09-28-2019 10:48 AM

Truly the real grand prize.

Swedcxzaq 09-28-2019 12:12 PM

Why isn't (bike) in the D8 song title on the homepage :/

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 01:19 PM

All credit prizes for 4th through 8th in the divisions have been awarded. D8 has all 3 new event tokens unlocked for them.

DarknessXoXLight 09-28-2019 03:47 PM

I'm curious as to why prizes for the tourney are being announced so far through the actual event. Why weren't the event tokens disclosed at the beginning? Like, players who have all the past event tokens weren't incentivized to try as hard in this tourney, only to see that prizes were added after they were already eliminated? Rob even asked me if I had any intention to play the night before I was eliminated and I told him, not really because I already have vROFL. Then very shortly after, Strangeprogram v0 is added to the prize pool midway through the tournament? That's pretty silly.

TC_Halogen 09-28-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight (Post 4699498)
I'm curious as to why prizes for the tourney are being announced so far through the actual event. Why weren't the event tokens disclosed at the beginning? Like, players who have all the past event tokens weren't incentivized to try as hard in this tourney, only to see that prizes were added after they were already eliminated? Rob even asked me if I had any intention to play the night before I was eliminated and I told him, not really because I already have vROFL. Then very shortly after, Strangeprogram v0 is added to the prize pool midway through the tournament? That's pretty silly.

To the bolded section - and to all players this applies to: that's 100% the fault of the player in question. If you're incentivized to participate only through a prize and not to compete/perform to the best of your capabilities against other people in your division, the only one to blame here is you.

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight (Post 4699498)

Prizes can be added at any given time during a tournament, especially with people donating things and things that may still be in the works. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're joining a tournament you should be playing to the best of your ability to begin with if you aren't why even bother signing up at all? Surprises make things fun, people enjoyed these things being revealed during our live streams. I apologize if you didn't enjoy that aspect, but for a good chunk of those in it, they did.

I will never be able to make people happy 100% of the time. This was my decision, so I guess be upset with me if you'd like to. But there will be other OTs in the future to achieve it. The other prize tokens added will be available during other events on the site as well.

DarknessXoXLight 09-28-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 4699499)
To the bolded section - and to all players this applies to: that's 100% the fault of the player in question. If you're incentivized to participate only through a prize and not to compete/perform to the best of your capabilities against other people in your division, the only one to blame here is you.

This is a pretty self-serving argument and one that holds no weight whatsoever. Believe it or not there are players motivated to perform well in tournaments for reasons other than assessing their skill level relative to others, like you. Some players, surprisingly apparently, are interested in the tangible prizes. There are many, MANY players that set top 8 as a goal specifically to maximize their token output, and not so much to say they're top 8 in their division. And when those players already have vROFL, they're not motivated to invest the time required to place higher given there's no personal utility for them in doing so. There aren't many competitions that disclose prizes at a point where 80% of the competitors have already been eliminated, and saying 'well you should've tried harder just for the sake of competition' doesn't really cut it as a valid counterargument. Sorry if that's a difficult concept to grasp, though I don't know why you're responding with such authority given you're not the manager of this tournament anyways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 4699500)
Prizes can be added at any given time during a tournament, especially with people donating things and things that may still be in the works. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're joining a tournament you should be playing to the best of your ability to begin with if you aren't why even bother signing up at all? Surprises make things fun, people enjoyed these things being revealed during our live streams. I apologize if you didn't enjoy that aspect, but for a good chunk of those in it, they did.

I will never be able to make people happy 100% of the time. This was my decision, so I guess be upset with me if you'd like to. But there will be other OTs in the future to achieve it. The other prize tokens added will be available during other events on the site as well.

I don't care about donated prizes from users, of course those are going to come in on a rolling basis. I care about the officially sanctioned prizes offered by the site, which should have been announced at the start of the tourney. And the difference is that the people viewing the stream previews are mostly in the subset of players still in the tournament, so of course they're going to be receptive. This doesn't affect them. I know factually there are many players that agree with what I'm saying and just haven't posted anything because they know the potential shitstorm that will start, and they don't want to deal with that. Rob even told me not to post. But I really don't care, I find this extremely unethical.

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight (Post 4699517)
I don't care about donated prizes from users, of course those are going to come in on a rolling basis. I care about the officially sanctioned prizes offered by the site, which should have been announced at the start of the tourney. And the difference is that the people viewing the stream previews are mostly in the subset of players still in the tournament, so of course they're going to be receptive. This doesn't affect them. I know factually there are many players that agree with what I'm saying and just haven't posted anything because they know the potential shitstorm that will start, and they don't want to deal with that. Rob even told me not to post. But I really don't care, I find this extremely unethical.

There were way more than just who was left attending the streams, prizes can be announced at any time. Sorry it didn't work out for you, if others have issues they can voice them themselves to me. There's nothing futher to say on this.

TC_Halogen 09-28-2019 05:23 PM

At this point, I'm personally just starting to feel that this point was made in bad faith given that the initial point literally came out as this:
Quote:

Rob even asked me if I had any intention to play the night before I was eliminated and I told him, not really because I already have vROFL.
I also think that it's ridiculous that because the prizes aren't "officially sanctioned" at the start of the tournament that it requires a different merit. It's a prize, it's put into the tournament. Separating them out as anything but that is simply an attempt at leverage in argument that boils down to nothing more than the initial point you made in the first place: you didn't want to play due to a lack of incentive and I find that to the fault of you and any other player who elected to simply bow out due to a lack of motivation.

Quote:

Sorry if that's a difficult concept to grasp, though I don't know why you're responding with such authority given you're not the manager of this tournament anyways.
My bad on calling you and others out that did this for not putting a full effort in and not being authentic competitors of the tournament. I didn't realize that it was such a "point of authority" for me to sit here and say your complacency isn't an excuse to whine about not getting something that you didn't deserve to get because you didn't put in the effort -- especially when there were actual PHYSICAL prizes announced very near the start of the tournament (well before top 8) that were further up the ladder.

So yeah, let's cut the bullshit. Thanks.

V-Ormix 09-28-2019 05:28 PM

I don't think they released the strangprogram v0 when they did with the intent to spite people who were already eliminated - and you probably don't think that either I'd imagine.

attempting to add excitement later isn't guilty of error imo but would of been more wreckless for example if they said "oh yah you'll win this" and then they like, downgraded the prize to a lesser token or said here have half the credits we mentioned at the start.

edit: sorry for the the pile on magda :v I c aj and kayla posting next to each other in more than one way :P but just now im realizing the potential shit storm you mentioned can be very entertaining and thus the real reason for you're complaint (:<?

nate is a robot what is 31 on bike altho he might improve before this round is over

DarknessXoXLight 09-28-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 4699520)
My bad on calling you and others out that did this for not putting a full effort in and not being authentic competitors of the tournament.

Awfully high horse you're sitting on there~ At some point, especially in a game like this that requires time and effort to be put into playing the same 2-4 minute long song over and over, you have to weigh whether the reward you will get out of it is worth the time invested. And wowie the reward didn't exist :o) so excuse me for being, you know, a working adult who decided to dedicate her free time to something more worthwhile. But hey, I suppose that's just me not being an authentic competitor! If genuine competition is what you're looking for, you know what might help with that? Announcing all the official prizes at the beginning of a tournament.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-Ormix (Post 4699521)
I don't think they released the strangprogram v0 when they did with the intent to spite people who were already eliminated - and you probably don't think that either I'd imagine.

I don't think there was malicious intent behind the announcement either, like obviously Kayla is just trying to make an exciting tournament, yes. But at the same time, I truly think it's unfair to those who were already eliminated who would have been more motivated to perform to the best of their abilities by the token pool.

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 05:45 PM

I can't turn back time and change what's already done. To me, it was fun added excitement that to my knowledge people enjoyed. There were other prizes that were added before the top 8 as well that people could have strived for, such as the necklace. So I really didn't think it was a big deal.

If others have an issue with surprises being added I'd like them to voice it too, because frankly I really like having them and if the majority is okay with it I'd like to still do them in the future. But if that many people are pissed off then I wont.

V-Ormix 09-28-2019 05:46 PM

oh dang so its a debate between who's better and who quantifies their time worthy of it being spent on the game - the objective of one side is not to waste time while the other will gladly give it to achieve status or feel like they broke even :u

interesting stuff to think about after having played so long but never really having thought about :v

edit: so morally speaking the harder you work the better outcome you should be able to deserve?? I'll stop budding in now :v

editv2: OH but people who compete for raw competitions in theory, the prizes don't matter to them as much. More like icing on a cake... the plot line thickens in subsequence.

editv3: my personal conclusion is that the mainstream player would be more driven to win a prize while unironically the more capable person of doing it naturally has the experience already to care less given their imagination...

Charu 09-28-2019 05:47 PM

At the end of the day, it's just a meme chart (sort of).

TC_Halogen 09-28-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight (Post 4699522)
Awfully high horse you're sitting on there~ At some point, especially in a game like this that requires time and effort to be put into playing the same 2-4 minute long song over and over, you have to weigh whether the reward you will get out of it is worth the time invested. And wowie the reward didn't exist :o) so excuse me for being, you know, a working adult who decided to dedicate her free time to something more worthwhile. But hey, I suppose that's just me not being an authentic competitor! If genuine competition is what you're looking for, you know what might help with that? Announcing all the official prizes at the beginning of a tournament.

@ bolded statement: bold of you to assume that literally no one else in this tournament falls in the same situation.

As far as the rest: there's still no one else to blame but yourself for the laziness, because at the end of the day, guess what: if you would have put in the effort instead of worrying about top 8 and there being "nothing else", you would have gotten a more favorable placement and still gotten what you wanted (and likely deserved).

If you had the capability to push forward, you should have. You barely put any effort into recording attempts through just about anything in this tournament and as a result, likely didn't do anything to really figure out how to improve your scores in an optimal manner - you got eliminated and got the result you deserved.

As I said before: this complaining is coming in bad faith. Put more effort next time and apply yourself.

EDIT: changed full attempts to recorded attempts because that's what I meant

V-Ormix 09-28-2019 06:01 PM

I remember regretting not trying harder to push to round 4 cause I played the round so late in the week - but that was more of a pride thing and unforeseen reinstatement to D7 but I felt humble to be remembered as a 'D7' player.

All and all I made it as far as I did last time lmao and at no point did prizes even reach my attention but that's coming from me personally.

The last time I was prize hungry was when vrofl was 500 mill in a day :O

edit: also I remember getting top 5 in d6 one year after having had vrofl already but didnt know till the tourney was long over that oh yah vrofl is a top 8 thing guess I forgot

DarknessXoXLight 09-28-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 4699523)
I can't turn back time and change what's already done. To me, it was fun added excitement that to my knowledge people enjoyed. There were other prizes that were added before the top 8 as well that people could have strived for, such as the necklace. So I really didn't think it was a big deal.

If others have an issue with surprises being added I'd like them to voice it too, because frankly I really like having them and if the majority is okay with it I'd like to still do them in the future. But if that many people are pissed off then I wont.

Okay like, surprises midway through are one thing. I see the value in adding excitement in that method, sure. But when the prizes that are added are direct content for the game that will remain inaccessible for the time being, that's the frustrating part. Knowing the schedule for a tournament allows you to plan when to play and how much effort is worth putting in because you see the prize pool, you see your competition, you have a general idea of where you can get to. I think it would be more fair for the prizes that get added in midway through or whatever to not be correlated with additional content for the game itself, and quite restrictive at that. What's done is done and I'm not asking for a change but going forward I think it would be kinder to players to disclose such content from the start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 4699526)
@ bolded statement: bold of you to assume that literally no one else in this tournament falls in the same situation.

As far as the rest: there's still no one else to blame but yourself for the laziness, because at the end of the day, guess what: if you would have put in the effort instead of worrying about top 8 and there being "nothing else", you would have gotten a more favorable placement and still gotten what you wanted (and likely deserved).

If you had the capability to push forward, you should have. You barely put any effort into recording attempts through just about anything in this tournament and as a result, likely didn't do anything to really figure out how to improve your scores in an optimal manner - you got eliminated and got the result you deserved.

As I said before: this complaining is coming in bad faith. Put more effort next time and apply yourself.

EDIT: changed full attempts to recorded attempts because that's what I meant

Apparently I need to deconstruct this further. Some players quite frankly couldn't give less of a shit about their final placement in the tournament. So when you say I could have pushed further and gotten a more favorable placement, that alone means absolutely nothing to me. It would have been through sheer coincidence that I would have received something worthwhile to me personally but only on the basis that it wasn't disclosed until that late in the tournament. You can harp on players should play to the best of their abilities regardless all you want. Apparently you can't see that there's a direct correlation between time invested and what the prospective rewards would be for that player. Players that are incentivized by competition alone, like you, exist. This is common knowledge. Players that don't care about competition and are more motivated by prizes, especially ones that result in additional game content, exist. Saying that the latter mindset shouldn't exist is absurd, not everyone takes this game as seriously as you but would still enjoy competing for these types of prizes.

-paexaea- 09-28-2019 06:08 PM

I still dont understand the vrofl thing. Is it for clout, because I literally only played it once. Who fucking cares about vrofl lmao

V-Ormix 09-28-2019 06:11 PM

vrofl is for me a historical thing cause I had played it years ago when it was public for only one day and at the time had never seen some thing so difficult lmao

really more of a ha ha nostalgic wtf arrow difficulty feeling vibe idk

TC_Halogen 09-28-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-Ormix (Post 4699527)
I remember regretting not trying harder to push to round 4 cause I played the round so late in the week - but that was more of a pride thing and unforeseen reinstatement to D7 but I felt humble to be remembered as a 'D7' player.

All and all I made it as far as I did last time lmao and at no point did prizes even reach my attention but that's coming from me personally.

The last time I was prize hungry was when vrofl was 500 mill in a day :O

edit: also I remember getting top 5 in d6 one year after having had vrofl already but didnt know till the tourney was long over that oh yah vrofl is a top 8 thing guess I forgot

I was personally especially motivated this tournament after being told that I didn't belong in D8 and was initially in it to simply receive perks. So I decided to channel that negativity and turn it into an absolutely ridiculous skillboost that was probably overdue for quite some time. I'm technically not D8 as far as Etterna goes, but I'm definitely able to handle some shit that I wasn't able to when this tournament started. It's nice to have an appreciation for some of the stuff that I wasn't able to play before.

Competition can bring out the best in people.

Back when I crafted most of Undici for the previous tournament, I made a lot of decisions on what I felt was theoretically possible by the top level players who were still competing. I tested everything on 0.9x rate and determined that if I was able to essentially keep up and handle it, that it would probably be effective as a final for that tournament. It worked fairly well given not only the score spread for the tournament, but also my ability to actually keep up with it now compared to before. I gave Undici a try during the Extratone Firestorm round and actually held a SDG up to the 12th note jacks that begins the final section - and when isolating that final section out alone when warm, I was able to get teens on it. Theoretically - this means a run where everything goes together might yield somewhere in the 30s in goods.

... I'm not quite ready to find that out at the moment though with the osu!mania world cup going on. I don't want to taint my accuracy there with FFR's timing windows here, ahaha

EDIT: @ previous discussion because I realized a post was made in direction to me: I legitimately don't care at this point. Nothing changes - you didn't need to deconstruct anything further - my opinion's not changing either. It's still going to come down to the fact there were other prizes to shoot for later in the tournament that would have made you eligible for the token had you not known the tokens existed in the first place and chose not to go for those. You settled - nothing is going to change that and arguing about it isn't changing my opinion about the fact that you were lazy/complacent. Seeing the minimal amount of plays made also doesn't help your case for me. I'm not gonna fixate on this, and I'll reiterate: I'm not targeting you, I'm targeting everyone who has this mindset, because that's how I feel.

Sanjixcon 09-28-2019 06:14 PM

man the d6 songs in rounds 5-7 were way harder lol

MixMasterLar 09-28-2019 06:31 PM

Hell yeah this is starting to get exciting again

V-Ormix 09-28-2019 06:48 PM

yah i gotta say aj you did hold you're own in d8 I was expecting you to have a harder time sooner :o I knew you're accuracy was good but didn't think you got around to having more solid control but then again you've been one of the top players for eons now :U

TC_Halogen 09-28-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-Ormix (Post 4699539)
yah i gotta say aj you did hold you're own in d8 I was expecting you to have a harder time sooner :o I knew you're accuracy was good but didn't think you got around to having more solid control but then again you've been one of the top players for eons now :U

I started off pretty poorly. 14 people made it to round 3 after a cumulative round 1/round 2 qualifier. I got 13th.

V-Ormix 09-28-2019 07:01 PM

yah but that's when I'd say the games to hard and do some thing else lmao

awein999 09-28-2019 07:04 PM

i tried in this tournament to the best of my ability but i didn't actively put the time in to train. i would have trained *harder* if i knew about the prizes. assessing blame to anyone for not trying as hard as they can no matter what is not a realistic mindset because not everyone is motivated by the same things.

in the end it's not that big of a deal thank you for running the tournament. i just think coming out and saying it's our fault if we aren't always investing everything we can no matter what in the tournament is irrationally defensive.

hi19hi19 09-28-2019 07:17 PM

tbh I didn't try this tournament to the best of my ability and knowing that there were new prizes probably would have changed that

what it wouldn't have changed was my complete inability to make it to a prize round in my division this tournament anyway so I guess it doesn't matter in the end

Swedcxzaq 09-28-2019 07:22 PM

Well, I mean prizes are nice, but tournaments in general are kind of made for the sport of testing your skills against other players, which is why I signed up.

I view the prizes added midway as a "raising the stakes" or a "bonus" kind of thing, which adds excitement during the livestreams. Since the tournament is two months long, excitement and motivation kind of dwindle as the weeks go by (at least from my experience), so having something like new prizes partway through helps to spice things up again.

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedcxzaq (Post 4699545)
Well, I mean prizes are nice, but tournaments in general are kind of made for the sport of testing your skills against other players, which is why I signed up.

I view the prizes added midway as a "raising the stakes" or a "bonus" kind of thing, which adds excitement during the livestreams. Since the tournament is two months long, excitement and motivation kind of dwindle as the weeks go by (at least from my experience), so having something like new prizes partway through helps to spice things up again.

Well I'm glad at least one person gets it, lol.

Guess going forward I won't do them though, I'd really thought the already added prizes gave enough incentive for people for it to not be a big deal adding in. This also means though that either A. OTs will be less fequent as I have to make sure to secure all prizes before starting. Or B. OTs will just be credits and the same old tokens.

TC_Halogen 09-28-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awein999 (Post 4699542)
i tried in this tournament to the best of my ability but i didn't actively put the time in to train. i would have trained *harder* if i knew about the prizes. assessing blame to anyone for not trying as hard as they can no matter what is not a realistic mindset because not everyone is motivated by the same things.

in the end it's not that big of a deal thank you for running the tournament. i just think coming out and saying it's our fault if we aren't always investing everything we can no matter what in the tournament is irrationally defensive.

just bolding this to say: I'm not managing this tournament and just acting as a helper, so don't associate this response with the wrong target. This is my opinion as a competitor.

hi19hi19 09-28-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 4699546)
Guess going forward I won't do them though, I'd really thought the already added prizes gave enough incentive for people for it to not be a big deal adding in. This also means though that either A. OTs will be less fequent as I have to make sure to secure all prizes before starting. Or B. OTs will just be credits and the same old tokens.

I think this latest set added in should be good for a few more OTs. It's not like the same people will be top 8-ing again so the work done this tournament to provide new token prizes should be motivating enough before a large subset of people again have all the event tokens.

So, it's kind of a non-issue for at least a few more years.

I hope you don't take this personally btw, I think a lot of people share the stance I do where we love the work you put into OTs and appreciate it greatly, but still want to provide the feedback that it would be nice to know the prizes before the tournament starts.

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 4699553)
I think this latest set added in should be good for a few more OTs. It's not like the same people will be top 8-ing again so the work done this tournament to provide new token prizes should be motivating enough before a large subset of people again have all the event tokens.

So, it's kind of a non-issue for at least a few more years.

I hope you don't take this personally btw, I think a lot of people share the stance I do where we love the work you put into OTs and appreciate it greatly, but still want to provide the feedback that it would be nice to know the prizes before the tournament starts.

The tokens aren't OT exclusive........

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 09:04 PM

You know what, nevermind my opinion will just stir up drama.

I will from here on out, not start an OT until all prizes including donated prizes are filled in. That way there's no issues about this again.

hi19hi19 09-28-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 4699557)
This also means going forward if someone presents a prize they'd like to add during the event it will be denied.

Perhaps having the initial tournament post up longer would help alleviate this?
This OT only had two weeks notice or so, maybe stretching that out by an extra week or two would allow not only prizes to be sorted out ahead of time, but also more time to collect sign-ups?

That should also make your job easier, not harder, since prizepool is one more thing you won't have to worry about mid-tournament.

As for the "principle" of competition, obviously it would be great if everyone competed their best all the time on everything ever, but the fact remains that sometimes something as silly as a pack of ramen or a meaningless token on your meaningless profile can be a nice thing to work towards :)

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 4699560)
Perhaps having the initial tournament post up longer would help alleviate this?
This OT only had two weeks notice or so, maybe stretching that out by an extra week or two would allow not only prizes to be sorted out ahead of time, but also more time to collect sign-ups?

That should also make your job easier, not harder, since prizepool is one more thing you won't have to worry about mid-tournament.

You say this as if it's not been done before. I've had MONTHS set aside for things only to get nowhere. So, no.
I didn't have to worry about it mid-tournament. I WANTED to surprise people, and most people vocally had enjoyed it up until now, lol. So is what it is I guess.

Edit to your edit: That's just it though, the ramen was there, the necklaces were there, dev's perlers were there. There was plenty to strive for. So to me imo complaining that one didn't give it their all because of prizes over a token makes no sense. Because there were prizes to go for, it's not like there was no incentive at all.

tosh 09-28-2019 09:39 PM

Opkiller with 4 clean and Beary with 6-0-0-2.

Even though there is now a D8, D7 is still insane.

hi19hi19 09-28-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 4699546)
This also means though that either A. OTs will be less fequent as I have to make sure to secure all prizes before starting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 4699561)
I didn't have to worry about it mid-tournament. I WANTED to surprise people, and most people vocally had enjoyed it up until now, lol.

Oh, I took the earlier quote to mean that you were worrying about securing prizes after starting.

TheSaxRunner05 09-28-2019 09:47 PM

Now sure, I've always wanted the tokens, but who doesn't like collecting things? I liked how vRofl eventually got other ways to be given out, and who knows, maybe these eventually will to. I'm fine with these tokens being added.

I think the main problem is structural - it now takes 64 tournament quality files to run an OT, and you need a batch of at least 100 songs to pull from to make it work out nicely. If people didn't have to wait a year, maybe they'd be more willing to hear this out?

Suggestion - a recurring event that uses in game files (Monthly?) where top 3 to 5 players can earn tokens. Make the final round only brand new charts, and the finalists can have exclusive access to these for however long the round is. After the round, the songs would go public (kind of like how some songs would be "vet only" for a time back in the day). This would add at least 8 charts to the game a month.

Thank you for running the tournament, running events is a very time consuming process and I'm greatful for the time that's been put into it. There were lots of bangers added to the game this year.

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 (Post 4699566)
Now sure, I've always wanted the tokens, but who doesn't like collecting things? I liked how vRofl eventually got other ways to be given out, and who knows, maybe these eventually will to. I'm fine with these tokens being added.

I think the main problem is structural - it now takes 64 tournament quality files to run an OT, and you need a batch of at least 100 songs to pull from to make it work out nicely. If people didn't have to wait a year, maybe they'd be more willing to hear this out?

Suggestion - a recurring event that uses in game files (Monthly?) where top 3 to 5 players can earn tokens. Make the final round only brand new charts, and the finalists can have exclusive access to these for however long the round is. After the round, the songs would go public (kind of like how some songs would be "vet only" for a time back in the day). This would add at least 8 charts to the game a month.

Thank you for running the tournament, running events is a very time consuming process and I'm greatful for the time that's been put into it. There were lots of bangers added to the game this year.

The only token here that's OT exclusive, for the time being, is V0, everything else is an event token obtainable during any official event. So I really don't get the major issue with it.
And actually I don't get it 'cause the V0 was announced prior to the top 8, so it was known in the round it was relevant for.

I already wanted and suggested doing in-game file OT's during the year, I got chewed out about new content. As I said, there's always someone who's not satisfied. I've suggested a million and one things, the majority of the time it's ignored or received negatively. I am only one human person vs an entire community of people who want different things.

TheSaxRunner05 09-28-2019 09:55 PM

Having more frequent events would help update people's level ranks too so they end up with scores reflecting their skill more often. Let's face it, intentionally or not, most people play casually 10 months out of the year and then try-hard for prizes, people are bound to be under placed by our system. Especially with more and more players coming from other games like Osu and Etterna. I'm not saying my suggestion will fix sandbagging (intentional or not) in principle, but at least they'd be getting bumped up more often. And when it's only 1 month until the next event, it's not so bad.

TheSaxRunner05 09-28-2019 09:59 PM

Sorry I didn't see the response I was typing an addendum. Its true we can't appease everyone. If the current once a year mega tournament style is more popular, then sure. If people don't like change, then I don't think that leaves much room for them to critique the current system.

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 10:00 PM

Did you read my reply?

Doing monthly OT's would be excessive but I'd wanted to do seasonal OT's which I'd posted about and like I'd already mentioned people were not fond of the in-game content deal of things.

There's also and has been for a LONG time the ability for users to get official backing for their events to where they can have tokens as prizes. No one takes advantage of this and that's out of my control.

Edit: welp my post came after you posted again so answered my own question there.

tosh 09-28-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 (Post 4699568)
Having more frequent events would help update people's level ranks too so they end up with scores reflecting their skill more often. Let's face it, intentionally or not, most people play casually 10 months out of the year and then try-hard for prizes, people are bound to be under placed by our system. Especially with more and more players coming from other games like Osu and Etterna. I'm not saying my suggestion will fix sandbagging (intentional or not) in principle, but at least they'd be getting bumped up more often. And when it's only 1 month until the next event, it's not so bad.

Honestly I think the placements were pretty much spot on this year. There were a few adjustments made afterwards, but those were done early in the tournament. Any outliers that are more active on osumania/Etterna likely would still be outliers even if there is a monthly tournament setup.

And of course you will always have a few people that skillboost a full division or so in the course of a tournament.

xXOpkillerXx 09-28-2019 10:09 PM

I just learned about prizes, thought it was only credits and ramen for 4th rofl.

May I ask why d8 gets all event tokens ? Seems a bit unfair tbh; they get a user color already. Giving each D8 player like 1 token would be more legit, and keeping the top 3 rule. Idk what others think but yeah, maybe tone it down a little ?

TheSaxRunner05 09-28-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosh (Post 4699571)
Honestly I think the placements were pretty much spot on this year. There were a few adjustments made afterwards, but those were done early in the tournament. Any outliers that are more active on osumania/Etterna likely would still be outliers even if there is a monthly tournament setup.

And of course you will always have a few people that skillboost a full division or so in the course of a tournament.

Let me reiterate: I'm not criticizing the placements themselves. We place people to the best of our knowledge with the scores they have. I even admit that more frequent events doesn't fix sandbagging outright.

What I am saying, is the placements are based on scoring data, and unless you're one of the few that grind out scores for fun, most scores are casual - therefore those players that tend to play casually and only grind for events will always be underrated. Having more official events will theoretically have people "try-hard" (god I hate that term) more often and make their ranks more reflective of their current speed and skill.

TC_Halogen 09-28-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx (Post 4699574)
I just learned about prizes, thought it was only credits and ramen for 4th rofl.

May I ask why d8 gets all event tokens ? Seems a bit unfair tbh; they get a user color already. Giving each D8 player like 1 token would be more legit, and keeping the top 3 rule. Idk what others think but yeah, maybe tone it down a little ?

D7 previously got their own title and unlocked everything. It was something that was essentially reserved for the top-of-the-top. Taken from the 11th OT thread:
Quote:

-Competitors that are INVOLUNTARILY placed in D7 and complete the tournament (submit for every round they are present and should be active) will receive Unconnected. and Fractured Sunshine, as well as receive a custom forum title indicating that they are a D7 player. They will also receive the three older support tokens and event tokens as a memento of their incredible skill, as they did in the past tournament.

xXOpkillerXx 09-28-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 4699577)
D7 previously got their own title and unlocked everything. It was something that was essentially reserved for the top-of-the-top. Taken from the 11th OT thread:

Ah wow, I guess I learned something. Didnt know that was a thing, even though that's probably how I got the current ones. Still sounds a bit silly imo but oh well

psychoangel691 09-28-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx (Post 4699574)

This is where I'm going to die a little inside and laugh out loud at the same time considering the given situation right now. Rob mentioned how he felt D8 should just get all the tokens at that point for reaching the top of the top and that people were just in it for the competition anyway.

But yes, it's one of those hey you've managed to get this freaking far have it all!

TC_Halogen 09-28-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx (Post 4699578)
Ah wow, I guess I learned something. Didnt know that was a thing, even though that's probably how I got the current ones. Still sounds a bit silly imo but oh well

It's also worth noting that this was not exclusive to the 11th Official Tournament - this has been around since the 8th OT. This is the 5th tournament where everything has been unlocked for those who are a part of the top division of the game.

xXOpkillerXx 09-28-2019 10:25 PM

I mean I honestly don't mind much (only for completionist but that's irrelevant), I just thought that saving these tokens for events would give some incentive to d8 to participate to other, smaller events too. It's probably not quite true though if the tokens arent like 100+ anyway. But yeah if it was like that already, I suppose changing it would also be somewhat unfair.

Edit: also mfw perler and keychain woah

TheSaxRunner05 09-28-2019 10:36 PM

I want to say again though that I am greatful for all the time put in to running this tournament - from the batch process to the placements, uploading new content, and even the previews. There was a lot of hype this year and it's nice to see around the game.

Swedcxzaq 09-28-2019 11:17 PM

Yeah, on the same note as SaxRunner, I want to say in midst of all this conflict that this tourney has been really run and hype. This is my first FFR tournament and it's been quite an awesome experience so far and is pushing me to improve a ton. Until a few months ago, I've played literally zero js — only index files or normal files with the "no jumps" mod on. Since around the time the tourney was announced, I've been grinding to improve past the point I had been stuck at for years (aka learning how to js and stream past 210 lol) and I'm finally getting results.

In terms of frequency of future tournaments, I feel like a single annual one would be more hype, but I don't mind whatever you guys do; they're fun either way.

Ninty64 09-28-2019 11:23 PM

The tournament has been amazing so far. I think the best thing about the tournaments is all the new songs; I think that will make all of them hype regardless of how frequently they are.

V-Ormix 09-29-2019 12:31 PM

Yeah I did forget to say thank you kayla and to those who put in the time and work it took to make this tourney happen.

I was hype to see the v0 release myself, so you accomplished that surprise very nicely.

I didn't think I'd join when it was announced thinking oh god not this whole mess again but was glad I did and had some thing to look forward to at the end of each week. felt like a real spark having people active ya'know c:

Psychotik 09-29-2019 01:06 PM

Yes, thank you tournament overlords, everything was very well run!

-paexaea- 09-29-2019 02:07 PM

Yeah, thanks to all of you who got this running. Even if I didnt hit top 8 like I wanted to, I didnt deserve it because I didnt put in enough work. Probably plateau'd at this point, but thats fine if im considered one of the D7 crew. Congrats to the winners.

Antori 09-29-2019 02:45 PM

thanks for hosting OT everyone <3

psychoangel691 09-29-2019 04:02 PM

Hope ya'll will be as hype for the MP tournament I plan on doing soon :P

Antori 09-29-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 4699614)
Hope ya'll will be as hype for the MP tournament I plan on doing soon :P