Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   The Werewolf Game (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Interest Check - Battlestar Galactica the Board Game (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=142466)

roundbox 07-30-2015 04:48 AM

Interest Check - Battlestar Galactica the Board Game

sup nerds

I was packing stuff for a trip I have coming up and one of the things I'm bringing along is a board game called Battlestar Galactica: the Board Game. Immediately the thought came across my mind was being able to play this game with some people here. There is a way to play this game online hassle-free. I am just posting here to see if anybody is interested in playing at all.

The game has elements of TWG/Mafia/Resistance/Whatever that are pretty complex and well done. The basic premise of the game is you are on a big ol' ship traveling through space trying to get to safe planet. You are crew members on the Battlestar Galactica and are doing everything you can to survive. You are running from a group of robots that you created. These robots are known as Cylons. Cylons are bent on killing every last human and are working against the players. However, Cylon technology is so advanced that the Cylons have made models of themselves that LOOK JUST LIKE HUMANS. These Cylons have infiltrated the crew and are secretly working against the others to make sure humanity doesn't survive.

During play, some of the players are informed that they are dirty, rotten Cylons. However, an interesting mechanic of the game is that there may be zero Cylons at the start. At the beginning and middle of the game, Loyalty (alignment) cards are dealt to the players and say "YOU ARE NOT A CYLON" or "YOU ARE A CYLON". At the beginning, only half are passed out, so the "YOU ARE A CYLON" cards might not be distributed. The other half are dealt at the halfway point in the game, and at this point, there are definitely Cylons in your crew.

Cylons have a variety of ways that they can screw with the humans secretly without full-on blowing their cover. One example is that one of the crew members is the Admiral of the ship. When the ship initiates FTL travel, they get to pick the destination they jump to. Destination cards have distance values of 0-3. The win objective for humans is to accrue 8 distance and FTL jump one last time to seal the deal. The Admiral, if they are a Cylon, can pick the worse of the two cards and resolve it, and the rest of the players may be none the wiser. (there is a way to have some check on this, but it's not always something that can be done if there are other bad things happening). There are plenty of other sneaky snake methods, but this is one big example.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to see how the game is played, you can check out a video here:

This features the same online client we will be using to play.

You can also read the instruction manual here.

We could play the game over Skype, and we would only need 5-6 people to get a good game going. Time commitment is 2-3 hours if everyone knows what they're doing, so expect the first game to be a little longer while mechanics are explained and people get used to the game client.

Anyone interested?? If we have enough people we can try deciding on a date and time.
also the show is good too!!

thesunfan 07-30-2015 04:54 AM

Re: Interest Check - Battlestar Galactica the Board Game

I told roundbox I would play.
The game actually looks like a lot of fun and the element of cylons makes it into a rather complex lying game.
I'd play it and u should too.

Charles Claythorne 07-30-2015 04:56 AM

im actually a battlestar galactica pro irl and i participated in the championship matches a few years ago. i wasnt nominated from moving into the final round, but it was a ton of fun and definitely one of my favorite memories

roundbox 07-30-2015 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Claythorne (Post 4344355)
im actually a battlestar galactica pro irl and i participated in the championship matches a few years ago. i wasnt nominated from moving into the final round, but it was a ton of fun and definitely one of my favorite memories

sick dude, I will watch this when I have time but I did see (and liked) you picking Tom Zarek. He's a wild one!!

Kawamii 07-30-2015 05:37 AM

hulll

Funnygurl555 07-30-2015 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundbox (Post 4344353)
sup nerds

you lost me at here

im not a nerd like you guys

haha
ahahahahahahaha
nerds

Cold Kitten 07-30-2015 07:11 AM

based on my experiences with this game, i'm so not interested in playing lmfao. these games take way too fucking long. i'd probably watch people play tho!!

_Zenith_ 07-30-2015 08:48 AM

time sinkage of 2-3 hours is a little turn off but I'd be willing to check it out for like a game or two; I wouldn't mind if games were like an hour to two at most.

Xiz 07-30-2015 10:01 AM

Yeah sure.

I rarely come on here so someone snapchat / skype me when this is a thing.

Vendetta21 07-30-2015 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4344360)
you lost me at here

im not a nerd like you guys

haha
ahahahahahahaha
nerds

Layers upon layers of denial

Wayward Vagabond 07-30-2015 10:55 AM

funnygurl more like oniongurl amirite

tiloco217 07-30-2015 11:23 AM

I'd be down to play

mellonxcollie 07-30-2015 12:16 PM

I've played this IRL and it's so much fun. I love BSG and I really miss board gaming, I'm so down for this

roundbox 08-1-2015 02:14 AM

Looks like we'll have enough people. I'm gonna shoot for a weekend in August, probably a day in the 14-16th range or 28-30th range, whichever doesn't have the LTWG. I will probably just be looking at one night, possibly two if people are down.

When it gets closer I will post in this again to see how many people will be coming. It's a commitment and if someone doesn't show up it makes the game less fun (surprise). I might be able to get someone to fill in a spot but I'd have to ask them first.

_Zenith_ 08-1-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundbox (Post 4345107)
Looks like we'll have enough people. I'm gonna shoot for a weekend in August, probably a day in the 14-16th range or 28-30th range, whichever doesn't have the LTWG. I will probably just be looking at one night, possibly two if people are down.

When it gets closer I will post in this again to see how many people will be coming. It's a commitment and if someone doesn't show up it makes the game less fun (surprise). I might be able to get someone to fill in a spot but I'd have to ask them first.

Depends, what would be we using to communicate via game like is there a dedicated chat on the site or in game or something or we using skype/zoom?

iunno but I'd be definitely into sinking in some time to check out a new (to me) game

roundbox 08-1-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Zenith_ (Post 4345186)
Depends, what would be we using to communicate via game like is there a dedicated chat on the site or in game or something or we using skype/zoom?

iunno but I'd be definitely into sinking in some time to check out a new (to me) game

probably skype so no video for now
unless someone has any other suggestions/zoom hookups

thesunfan 08-1-2015 04:09 PM

zoom isn't good for sharing screens, one of the few flaws it has imo.
If it would be necessary for everyone to look at the same window through someone elses video, it wouldn't be a good idea to use zoom.

roundbox 08-1-2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesunfan (Post 4345285)
zoom isn't good for sharing screens, one of the few flaws it has imo.
If it would be necessary for everyone to look at the same window through someone elses video, it wouldn't be a good idea to use zoom.

Nope, everyone will be playing the game in a do Not win their own computer. No screen sharing needed.

roundbox 08-12-2015 04:50 PM

Almost forgot about this.
I can do this on the upcoming weekend or the last weekend of the month.
Post the weekend that works best for you! I will probably pick 2 of the 3 nights to play a game, but not all three. Aiming for like a 4PM CST start more than likely.

_Zenith_ 08-12-2015 04:58 PM

yes please sign me up