Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   SO COLD (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=150679)

Rapta 01-28-2019 06:28 AM

SO COLD

Yesterday afternoon I noticed that our heating and air conditioning unit was frozen in a block of ice, so until it is fixed we had to turn it off. It looked like this.
Last night, the temperature dropped to 28 degrees fahrenheit (-2 degrees celcius) and I could not sleep well at all. My face was super cold just from being exposed to the air inside the house, so I had to sleep completely covered by two blankets, wearing my heaviest coat in order to fall asleep. Quite the unpleasant experience.

gold stinger 01-28-2019 06:34 AM

Re: SO COLD

meanwhile, -26c outside here, and doin' fine.

Hopefully you are able to get that fixed soon. In the meantime, make sure that all windows and doors are closed, and any drafts are covered up. Sounds like there may be a draft.

Right Hand 01-28-2019 06:37 AM

I've never seen snow :( and when my air conditioning isn't working, I've to sleep without clothes or blankets and even tho I sweat 7u7 (my country is 30+ celsius avg). Your unpleasant experience could be a pleasant experience for me )?

Rapta 01-28-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4665832)
meanwhile, -26c outside here, and doin' fine.

Hopefully you are able to get that fixed soon. In the meantime, make sure that all windows and doors are closed, and any drafts are covered up. Sounds like there may be a draft.

I live in a humid subtropical climate, so I am not used to being that cold, especially when I am about to fall asleep. We don't have a weatherstrip on our back door, I can definitely feel air coming through, that will get dealt with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right Hand (Post 4665833)
I've never seen snow :( and when my air conditioning isn't working, I've to sleep without clothes or blankets and even tho I sweat 7u7 (my country is 30+ celsius avg). Your unpleasant experience could be a pleasant experience for me )?

I prefer cold weather to warm weather because it is usually hot here (I normally sleep without a blanket or shirt also), but this was too much for me, especially when trying to fall asleep.

Skullbac 01-28-2019 07:33 AM

its not uncommon for me to walk 300 meters to college once i arrive at bus station WHEN ITS -30 CELSIUS. I find that temperature unbearable and it makes me wish i was american. -2 celsius isnt much compared to the temps we get in quebec city.

Elmerz 01-28-2019 09:48 AM

Yeah it's generally -30/-40c in Jan/Feb here.

Funnygurl555 01-28-2019 10:06 AM

I'm from MN and was used to cold as shit weather, but living in TX for a couple months has me dreading anything below freezing. Like the low today is 39 degrees and I was like, "woah that's cold"

High's 71 though. That's pretty lit

EDIT: Rapta, you should get thicker blankets. At my house my parents have these thick mf'ing blankets (they work better htan a comforter) that we use when it's cold as shit. Like my old room would have a draft but I would be fine at night and I hate being cold when i sleep

Charu 01-28-2019 10:07 AM

Who ready for the artic blast?

mellonxcollie 01-28-2019 12:29 PM

It's really cold here too O_O

Roundbox hasn't had work in like a week because of snow days.

qrrbrbirbel 01-28-2019 01:09 PM

I've shoveled 4 times today already

Psychotik 01-28-2019 02:06 PM

We're expecting 20cms of snow tomorrow. Fun.

FirstMaple8 01-28-2019 04:18 PM

One time my heat turned off and it was -13C (9F).

samurai7694 01-28-2019 04:20 PM

The colder it is, the better I sleep. Waking up to the cold however is a bitch and I really find it a hassle to get out of bed :( hang in there bro!

Rapta 01-28-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4665839)
I'm from MN and was used to cold as shit weather, but living in TX for a couple months has me dreading anything below freezing. Like the low today is 39 degrees and I was like, "woah that's cold"

High's 71 though. That's pretty lit

EDIT: Rapta, you should get thicker blankets. At my house my parents have these thick mf'ing blankets (they work better htan a comforter) that we use when it's cold as shit. Like my old room would have a draft but I would be fine at night and I hate being cold when i sleep

Buying a thick blanket sounds like a great idea to do just in case something happens again~

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai7694 (Post 4665852)
The colder it is, the better I sleep. Waking up to the cold however is a bitch and I really find it a hassle to get out of bed :( hang in there bro!

My dad and I got the unit fixed, it took a while but we have heat once more, hallelujah.

devonin 01-28-2019 06:23 PM

Remember, Canadians and other people from cold places: We don't realize often just how built up for cold we are. Yes it's -24 outside right now where I am, but our buildings also have good insulation, better window seals, basements and more robust heating systems to compensate.

Around here, at -24, inside will be 16 or 18 without much effort on our parts at all. In many places, US included, -24 outside would basically mean -24 inside too.

tosh 01-28-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullbac (Post 4665837)
its not uncommon for me to walk 300 meters to college once i arrive at bus station WHEN ITS -30 CELSIUS. I find that temperature unbearable and it makes me wish i was american. -2 celsius isnt much compared to the temps we get in quebec city.

I'm visiting the office in the midwest US this week and the wind chill is supposed to hit -51 Celsius (-60 Fahrenheit) on Wednesday. So on that day specifically I would rather be in Canada than in the US.

Skullbac 01-28-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosh (Post 4665859)
I'm visiting the office in the midwest US this week and the wind chill is supposed to hit -51 Celsius (-60 Fahrenheit) on Wednesday. So on that day specifically I would rather be in Canada than in the US.

yo wtf no joke i never heard of -51 celsius, let alone in midwest US. I though that would only ever happen in antarctica (where the coldest was -93.5 celsius, not registered by guinness world records cuz it was taken by NASA's satellite and not a thermometer). But damn, i thought my situation was pretty damn terrible.

flashflash account 01-28-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4665839)
I'm from MN

ARE YOU REALLY
NO WAY

also I thought this thread was talking about the cold wave hitting the northeast US, minnesota is -50s tomorrow or something like that

Dinglesberry 01-28-2019 08:35 PM

bruh im canada that seems warm af id wear shorts and a tshirt in that weather

Dinglesberry 01-28-2019 08:35 PM

-2c LOL its like constantly -12c here