Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   So I finally came clean to my parents. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=123242)

flipsta_lombax 03-28-2012 01:02 AM

So I finally came clean to my parents.

For ones who don't know, yes I'm gay. [u don't say etc etc]

Anyway, for 10+ years I've kept this under wraps as much as I could with them, though was never either confident enough to break the news or just feared rejection or whatever else may have happened had I broken the news any earlier.

But I don't know what compelled me to coming out tonight. It may have been the fact that I officially rented my own apartment surpassing the need for a co-signer. Maybe I felt like since I am moving out again, I should just... let them know the truth now and have the entire "feeling" of it get the **** off my chest.

Because either way, I wouldn't have been phased with any reaction, honestly. My mentality has changed when I've been living, taking care of and supporting my own. I honestly give no ****s for sympathy or opposition. Maybe that is what compelled me into coming clean: just get it out of the way and show no emotion over any kind of reaction.

So I did it. The phrase: Mom . . . Dad . . . . . . . I'm gay". Ackward ****ing silence for a hot 30 seconds. I stared down, waiting for SOMEONE to react. Then the silence was broken by my dad:

"Ken, you're an adult now. This is your personal life and we are not in control of that. But you know that's wrong, right?"

That's the end of my story. I commenced silence for the rest of the talk, didn't say another word. My dad was "cool" with it, but thinks I'm wrong and spilled religious banter here and there. My mom is pissed.

Glad to know that I got my huge boulder off of my chest.

hi19hi19 03-28-2012 01:04 AM

Re: So I finally came clean to my parents.

ITT: 2000+ year old book telling people how to live
Wonder if there will be any drama around this... not like I'm promoting that, religion arguments have already been beaten to death.

Regardless it's good to hear you got that over with and lived to tell the tale.
Not something some people take easily.

runescapedude1126 03-28-2012 01:06 AM

Who cares if you are gay, you have just as much a right to be miserable as the rest of us. At least you had the guts to tell them, kudos to you sir. I wish you the best.

justin_ator 03-28-2012 01:06 AM

Good to hear you're comfortable enough with it to get it off your chest and let people know. That's a huge deal to some people. Best of luck with it overall with them.

flipsta_lombax 03-28-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 3666241)
ITT: 2000+ year old book telling people how to live

Is it wrong to be gay? thread
V2

It better fuccen not be.

Oni-Paranoia 03-28-2012 01:09 AM

Glad you helped yourself over the possible thoughts and reactions of others, especially your parents.

reptile3141 03-28-2012 01:10 AM

Glad you got it off your chest, bro. Sorry about your parents giving you sh** about it. :'(

Xx{Midnight}xX 03-28-2012 01:10 AM

Flipsta, nice job finally telling them. Hopefully things go well for you.

Religion is hilarious when it comes to subject.

Good for you.

Zageron 03-28-2012 01:10 AM

Congrats! Good to hear their reaction didn't hit you hard. Being gay isn't wrong, living your life by a book is wrong. (Believing in God is not wrong!)

Oni-Paranoia 03-28-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX (Post 3666251)
Religion is hilarious when it comes to subject.

This X ∞ = Correct.

25thhour 03-28-2012 01:11 AM

I can't believe your parents were pissed... I mean sure it's their belief but you are their son. They should be happy with you because no one can control your sexuality.

justin_ator 03-28-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25thhour (Post 3666254)
I can't believe your parents were pissed... I mean sure it's their belief but you are their son. They should be happy with you because no one can control your sexuality.

Unfortunately that's not how a lot of parents see it -___-

Kagome 03-28-2012 01:12 AM

Takes a lot of courage to come out to your parents. I hope this thread doesn't spiral out of control. Hopefully people are mature enough to keep negative opinions to themselves because this isn't the place for them.

Magicturbo 03-28-2012 01:14 AM

Sounds like typical Pinoy parents. The mom is always pissed. She'll 'likely' feel like she failed you for awhile, but they get over it.

Isn't it nice to have just gotten it over with? I think it's a joyous feeling.

flipsta_lombax 03-28-2012 01:15 AM

I appreciate you all for supporting my behalf, seriously. I'm not the type to boast here but I'm sure I did the right thing just taking the hits and moving on.

At the end of the day, they are still my parents and I love them. But if they are pissed [lol mom] over the fact, well.. Idgaf. Pce~

EDIT: And oh just to throw this in the bag, my dad is CONVINCED that I can change my sexuality. Anyone want to share a cup of LOL with me? Please I have plllllllenty.

DossarLX ODI 03-28-2012 01:17 AM

I can say that you waited for the right time honestly, because your father mentioned that he isn't in control of your personal life now -- I can't imagine if you told them about being gay when you were much younger.

Magicturbo 03-28-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipsta_lombax (Post 3666260)
EDIT: And oh just to throw this in the bag, my dad is CONVINCED that I can change my sexuality. Anyone want to share a cup of LOL with me? Please I have plllllllenty.

Sounds about right XD... I know the feeling U_U

XD

flipsta_lombax 03-28-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 3666264)
I can say that you waited for the right time honestly, because your father mentioned that he isn't in control of your personal life now -- I can't imagine if you told them about being gay when you were much younger.

Believe me, I'm VERY convinced. I brought this up in the conversation, the only time I spoke up betwixt the fact he keeps bringing that up.

I'm convinced I wouldn't be here speak with you all about this. Yes... it's sad, but I've learned to accept it. He touches me, he gets Kung Fu Furry into the next millennium.

Mau5 03-28-2012 01:23 AM

Live how you wanna live, your parents can accept it or can not accept it but it doesn't change you

also i'm with Dossar on this one, glad he didn't go all "we can fix this son don't worry" on you and left it at just "that's wrong" which he's obviously still wrong about (lol) but congratulations :]

psychoangel691 03-28-2012 01:32 AM

A lot of times parents will react badly and eventually grow to accept it. Most parents don't just lose the love for their child easily. Good for you for getting it off your chest, it's so much better to just be upfront and honest in my opinion.