Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   If There Was Absolutely No Light in the World, Would You Be Able to See Colors? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=150047)

drizzleRomanceGirl 10-23-2018 12:53 AM

If There Was Absolutely No Light in the World, Would You Be Able to See Colors?

?.

also would there even be any colors?

DaBackpack 10-23-2018 01:00 AM

Re: If There Was Absolutely No Light in the World, Would You Be Able to See Colors?

you could hallucinate or experience optical illusions

but otherwise no

Elena- 10-23-2018 03:17 AM

Re: If There Was Absolutely No Light in the World, Would You Be Able to See Colors?

whose to say the light you experience in dreams and hallucinations differ, a wave is wave on a wave on a wave. all light is light, and all illusion is a product of nothingness, in my opinion it stands to say an illusion is not light optical or otherwise, more a manifestion of confusion induced by the inconceivable, that which falls outside of the certainty of nature. a hallucination however is light.

for the thread, the answer is no

flashflash account 10-23-2018 06:19 AM

No light at all means you can't see at all
I don't understand

G.S.M 10-23-2018 06:59 AM

Nope

Mahou 10-23-2018 07:33 AM

I'm praying for you

Crazyjayde 10-23-2018 11:06 AM

A better question is how accurately would you be able to imagine colors, which is in essence the knowledge argument, argued by the Mary's room thought experiment :

https://ed.ted.com/lessons/mary-s-ro...eleanor-nelsen

It also relates, as Elena- hints, to dreams, and especially ones of blind individuals and their perceptive qualities, which effectively vary upon the nature of their illness, but not exclusively.

storn42 10-23-2018 01:15 PM

If there was no light suddenly, then we could still see colors, but there are no colors to see. If light never existed we wouldn't have eyes that see light so we wouldnt see color. We might get a seperate sense that lets us "see" that we might interperate as color. Also black is a color.

G.S.M 10-23-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storn42 (Post 4652577)
Also black is a color.

depends on the context of black

Travis_Flesher 10-23-2018 01:53 PM

By including 'absolutely in your question, the answer is no. Would it have been maybe, a little, or perhaps, the answer would be yes.

xXOpkillerXx 10-23-2018 02:07 PM

Saying there is no light means that there exists no electromagnetic wave in the frequency spectrum of well.. light. Colors are just names for sections of that spectrum, therefore they necessarily wouldn't exist (with our definition of colors and light). No matter if you're talking about dreams or whatever (I assume that meant the electrical activity of the brain, otherwise idk what that meant), it doesn't change the above fact.

aperson 10-23-2018 02:19 PM

love too get fucked up and hallucinate parts of the electromagnetic spectrum outside of optical radiation

drizzleRomanceGirl 10-23-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashflash account (Post 4652511)
No light at all means you can't see at all
I don't understand

no i mean would everything still have color even if people couldn't see it?

like if there was no light at all would blue walls still be blue if they weren't illuminated by any light?

rushyrulz 10-23-2018 03:19 PM

color is defined as the wavelengths of light that aren't absorbed by an object, so no light = no color. I suppose an object can still have the properties of being a color without light touching it, but we wouldn't be able to detect it with our eyes.

aperson 10-23-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzleRomanceGirl (Post 4652616)

like if there was no light at all would blue walls still be blue if they weren't illuminated by any light?

They would have the property that "Electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum would mostly be absorbed by the wall except for some blues". If that's what makes a wall blue to you, it'd still be blue.

rushyrulz 10-23-2018 03:36 PM

drizzleRomanceGirl 10-23-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4652617)
color is defined as the wavelengths of light that aren't absorbed by an object, so no light = no color. I suppose an object can still have the properties of being a color without light touching it, but we wouldn't be able to detect it with our eyes.

thank you :)

Spenner 10-24-2018 05:44 AM

Pressing your fingers into your eyes might be a good idea for entertainment if there was absolutely no light— it generally brings out quite vibrant colours for me.

Antori 10-24-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzleRomanceGirl (Post 4652616)

that's like asking what color is a black hole

if I had to guess I'd say it does have a color even if we can't observe it directly, and what color would it be?
I have no clue so I'll leave that to your imagination :p

FirstMaple8 10-24-2018 09:37 AM

nope, it would be too dark