Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

aperson 07-30-2021 01:49 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

damn i forgot panopticon existed i need to listen to this

rayword45 08-1-2021 12:57 AM

Day 867: Daddy's Home by St. Vincent

Fuck you RYM

Best Track: my ass
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 08-2-2021 05:09 PM

Day 868: Happier Than Ever by Billie Eilish

Y'know I've already been weirded out for a long while that there are musicians reaching their glory days that are younger than me, but now we've reached the point that they're younger than my little BROTHER?!

Well, actually, considering this is her second album, this isn't a new phenomenon. Pretty sure she's not even the first artist to be born post-mid 2001 to gain a huge following amongst whatever music crowd, from the radio pop listeners to the fake RateYourMusic hipsters to the true "I primarily listen to traditional Kecak chants from Indonesia or field recordings of northern Greenland" hipsters. When she first came on the scene, I thought her music was garbage, but I've gotta be honest, the white club-loving girl in me thinks that Bad Guy is a total bop. And she was great when she featured on that Denzel Curry song... HOLY SHIT THAT WAS 2018?! Why am I getting old so fast? Why is coronavirus ruining my chance at living in the moment? Why did I get myself stuck in a toxic relationship for nearly a year? Why am I not applying any of the skills I learned in grad school at my current underpaying job?

Actually, that last sentence was a lie, I didn't learn shit from grad school. Okay so anyways, I come in here acknowledging my previous bias, but also acknowledging that she's proven she can make a good bop for the dance floor, and she truly does have a pleasant singing voice when she's featuring on other people's tracks. This album? It's a total mixed bag and way too long. All the attempts at making similar club-friendly tracks here? For the most part, they fucking suck. THEY FUCKING SUCK. When things are quiet and more emotionally honest, it's a pleasant listen, though I don't think there was a single moment during this album I found to be truly amazing. The production is slick, but mostly unmemorable. I can imagine superfans will think this is the greatest album ever made, but me? I find it hard to have much of a strong opinion at all. Once again, like I've said in a million other reviews, this shit is okay, even good most of the time, but practically never great. And some of those attempts at making bangers really do suck out the ass.

Anyways, I should hit the gym. And fix my insurance so I can get therapy. And start meditating.

Best Track: The title track or My Future
Rating: 5.5/10

3lijah 08-4-2021 12:43 AM

youre still doing this??? I remember when you started this thread!

rayword45 08-5-2021 01:20 PM

Day 869: Ego Death by Aleph (Album Choice: housekeeper)

I've listened to this thing like 5 times and I enjoy it but I just don't have the emotional energy at the moment to write anything worthwhile. It's not like I write worthwhile stuff usually but at this moment in particular I'm just really, really not feeling it other than wanting to log my opinion. Sorry if you wanted more, I hate US Healthcare.

Best Track: Breathe
Rating: 7.5/10

Travis_Flesher 08-7-2021 09:30 PM

justin biebeer - i get my peaches down in georiga

rayword45 08-9-2021 08:59 PM

Day 870: Attic Tapes by Brainiac

I've been a super-fan of these guys for so long that I can't truly give this an objective review. This is a collection of demos, some of which are seeing their first official release after floating around the internet for decades, but most of which have never been on the internet in the first place as far as I can tell. And they sound like demos. To someone deep into this band, this is a FASCINATING document, but if you're not into this band, this is absolutely not the place to start, and objectively it's really not that good.

No need to choose a best track here.

Objective Rating: 5/10
Personal Rating: 9/10

rayword45 08-11-2021 11:32 AM

Day 871: GUMBO'! by Pink Siifu

words words words words words words REVIEW

Best Track: sandwcih
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 08-15-2021 05:06 AM

Day 872: Dinner Get Ready by Lingua Ignota

I saw the melon gave it a 10. I see exactly why he gave it a 10. I don't have his taste. Oddly enough, this is way less abrasive and more church-y than the 2019 album, and I'd usually prefer noise but in this case, I think this is definitely the better album.

Best Track: Repent Now Confess Now
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 08-16-2021 10:36 AM

Day 873: Welcome to the Madhouse by Tones and I

The last album I reviewed got a 10/10 from baldie so I had to check what he gave a 0/10. This is nowhere near as terrible as that Corey Feldman album nor is it as amazingly funny as Speedin Bullet 2 Heaven. A 0/10 is pushing it. It's bad and annoying but not a spectacle in how bad it is.

Best Track: None
Rating: 3/10

rayword45 08-18-2021 02:35 PM

Day 874: The Machine is burning and now everyone knows it could happen again by BRUIT ≤

This album name sucks. Work sucks. My life sucks. Post-rock mostly sucks. The album itself is okay.

Best Track: i dunno it's all one piece really
Rating: 6/10

Shadow_God_10 08-18-2021 04:01 PM

Fine fine fine I'll give you an album

The Divine Wings of Tragedy by Symphony X (1996)

If you haven't heard it yet.

It's one of my favourite prog albums ever

rayword45 08-20-2021 02:10 PM

Day 875: Life And Another by Mega Bog

For some reason, I feel like if I was reviewing this maybe 6 or so months ago, I'd be calling it pretentious art school garbage or something. But with how utterly volatile my brain has become recently, I'm finding myself actually LOVING this stuff. The singer's voice is like eating ass to my ears (okay... that was terrible) and the spacy arrangements combined are enough to make this an enjoyable listen all the way through. I don't know if this having a track called Bull Of Heaven is meant to be a direct reference to the meme band or not.

I rushed this review because I heard rumours of a secret Kendrick drop but that turned out to be misinformation. Ah well, I really liked this one a lot. I need to make sure I remember it.

Best Track: Maybe You Died or Ameleon
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 08-20-2021 05:11 PM

Day 876: Deep States by Tropical Fuck Storm

I don't think I get this band yet I should

Best Track: nyarghlefargle
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 08-22-2021 10:16 PM

Day 877: Lorde released a new album

it wasn't as good as Melodrama

Best Track: one of them
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 08-23-2021 11:03 AM

Day 878: DR. EV4L by Young Nudy (Album Choice: IRL friends, sorta)

I hate when I don't know how I'm supposed to capitalize things, and I hate the fact that this guy decided to use l33tspeak in his album title in 2021. A couple of my friends saw this guy live on Saturday and said it was absolutely amazing, but resale tickets were like $70 and I had someone offering me a no-strings-attached rebound that day instead. The problem was that she lived an hour drive away, so I had to have a friend pick me up from my house to drive me to her place, then I spent like 7 hours there, then I had to call a DIFFERENT friend to come pick me up, and then I linked with the two friends that saw this guy live, the guy driving me home and another friend and the 5 of us all smoked together. The emotionless sex was absolutely TERRIBLE, and I don't know whether the sex or the moments in-between were more depressing, but the guys who saw Young Nudy live said I probably made the more emotionally and financially healthy decision, because I REALLY needed to bang someone that wasn't my abusive ex.

Anyways, this album. It's okay. Lyrically, this stuff is edgy as fuck, but I don't really care. The performances are a bit understated for what I'd expect for these kinda lyrics, but maybe that's a blessing in disguise. Apparently the concert had a very similar vibe to Playboi Carti's live performances, which makes sense because he also mumbles on record but screams live, and I can imagine that being a lot of fun. But this album? Meh. And the features add almost nothing.

Therapy session 2 on Wednesday!

Best Track: 2Face

rayword45 08-23-2021 10:24 PM

Day 879: Planet Her by Doja Cat

So did the internet figure out whether she's a self-hating biracial white supremacist or not? Should I be listening to this or am I gonna get cancelled if I enjoy it?

Just kidding, I don't care about that, I care about the fact that Say So is blatantly plagiarized from one of my favorite songs ever. And none of the songs on this album are as good as that song. This album is mostly boring as fuck.

Best Track: Naked
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 08-28-2021 11:35 PM

Day 880: Aisles by Angel Olsen

First track was dope. Last 4 didn't do it for me, ranging from okay to straight up corny.

Best Track:
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 08-30-2021 07:16 AM

Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 881: Screen Violence by CHVRCHES

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4321979)
Day 177: The Bones Of What You Believe by CHVRCHES (Album Choice: NinjaKIWI)

It's been long enough since I've listened to any synthpop to the point where I DON'T feel physically ill at the thought of listening to another sugarfest.

Uh, yeah, this is synthpop alright. The melodies are dreamy and pretty, and the female vocals are pleasing.

This is synthpop.

Best Track: You Caught The Light
Rating: 6/10

Damn like over 6 years later, and skipping two albums in between, the stark difference in polish, songwriting, and lush production and arrangement between these two albums (and compared to when I saw them live forever ago) is astounding. This actually might be one of my favorites of the year. Very consistent and very enjoyable.

Best Track: Final Girl
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 08-31-2021 02:49 PM

Day 882: Donda by Kanye West

Oh yeah, you were ready for me to go deep and hard to this one, weren't ya hun? You were ready for daddy rayword to ejaculate his thoughts about this nearly 2-hour opus that's still incredibly religious and I'd probably say something about his dead mother too. You were ready to lap up all my verbal jizz about why this album sucks or is a masterwork and my reasoning for it too. You were ready for me to skullfuck your mind with mindblowing thoughts on what divorce did to this man's music.

Well, I'm not giving you any of that (and also, you and I both know these reviews are either hilariously terrible or unfunnily terrible). Everyone else is giving you strong thoughts but I just think this was not very good. I still think Ye was his peak (ah, summer of 2018, how I miss thee). 108 minutes is ridiculous, and I listened to it TWICE, but it was still far less excruciating than Jesus Is King.

Best Track: You're going to end up listening to this, or you can find a recommended peak cut from someone else.