Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 12-27-2015 01:09 PM

Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 268: Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven by Kid Cudi

This is purportedly the worst album of 2015 by average rating. But just wait 20 years when Cudi has become a hermit or dead, and this will be reappraised as an artistic masterwork, the sound of a man slowly losing his shit, akin to Third/Sister Lovers. With hilariously inadequate takes on atmospheric art rock (The Nothing and Amen), intellectually superior prose such as "Her vagina is moist and warm" and "No more chicken sandwiches" and some of the most timeless riffs to ever exist (think like half of these songs are one chord) this has all the signs to become a lost classic.

On that note, how cash strapped is Mike Judge?

Best Track: Adventures
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-27-2015 11:48 PM

Day 269: Holding Hands With Jamie by Girl Band

I was gonna impulse see these guys earlier this month but they canceled.

Now I definitely have to see them.

Best Track: Paul
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 12-30-2015 01:11 AM

Day 270: Surf by Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment

Am I crazy if I like this more than To Pimp A Butterfly? I actually listened to this one more than once, and I have no real taste for jazz but this is a great album, loaded with variety and color everywhere.

Best Track: Sunday Candy
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 12-30-2015 05:26 PM

Day 271: I Changed A Lot by DJ Khaled

I've never listened to Khaled before this (though I literally just added him on Snapchat) but he should either change back or change again, because this is complete fucking garbage. It has nearly every flaw of Speeding Bullet 2 Heaven and none of the humor.

Best Track: No
Rating: 1/10

rayword45 01-7-2016 01:10 AM

Day 272: Dead Since Middle School by Puzzle Mansion

This is some good stuff. Lo-fi, crazy riffs played with loads of sludge and humor. I wish I was cool enough to get into basement shows.

Best Track: GOBBLED BY FUX >:)
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 01-8-2016 12:43 AM

Day 273: The Lord of Rage by OG Maco (Album Choice: David H.)

I would like to tell you that The Orb puts on a better, trippier show than Infected Mushroom. On that note, however, you should totally see both or either given the chance.

This is my first 2016 album both listened to and reviewed. Due to songs like U Guessed It and FUCKEMx3 my expectations were remarkably low (not that those songs aren't good fun), but I'm glad to say this wasn't completely horrible. The dude's lyrical skills aren't great but they've definitely improved tenfold. Production is more or less equivalent to former tracks but arrangements have gotten a little more complex. This dude may actually be on the way to great things.

Top 10 albums of 2015 because I listened to so fucking few

1. Speedin Bullet 2 Heaven
2. Surf
3. To Pimp A Butterfly
4. Trading Basics (this goes up to an 8.5/10)
5. A Distant Fist Unclenching (this goes up to an 8/10)
6. Divers
7. Holding Hands With Jamie
8. Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit
9. I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
10. Prom King

Best Track: I Am Legend
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 01-10-2016 02:00 PM

Day 274: The Catastrophist by Tortoise

I made a mistake in my last review, this is the THIRD 2016 album I'm reviewing, because Old King, New Trash Fire dropped this month.

EVERYBODY GO LISTEN TO THAT MIXTAPE NOW.

So yeah, having never listened to them I know these guys two ways.

A. People say they're a good comparison to Slint (no)
B. I mix them up with Pelican (because animals)

I fell asleep after track 4, which is actually pretty indicative of the quality of the music. It's not bad but there's nothing special about it. It's mostly instrumentals, sometimes beautiful but mostly cold and boring.

Also, I feel like practically every song has at least one unnecessary instrument, and that instrument is usually the synths. Hot Coffee is is a great example, because if it didn't have those completely superfluous keys it'd be a great minimalist rock track. As it stands, eh? A bit corny. Gesceap is special in that the instrument that should be removed is that annoying droning guitar but I don't think the track would be much better without it.

Not a good introduction at all, but it seems the fans concur. Boring and underwhelming.

Best Track: Hot Coffee (whyyyy)
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 01-10-2016 11:34 PM

Day 275: Ostrich Vacation by Palm

Yeah... These guys REALLY need those melodic vocals. Despite being rougher around the edges the instrumentation here fits the same locked-noise-riff style as Trading Basics but this album just... sucks due to the absence of vocals in most of them. These songs basically amount of minutes upon minutes of THE SAME DAMN RIFF OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and the last song is them retuning their instruments.

Here's to improvement with time!

Best Track: Dime
Rating: 3/10

Dvaerak7Korgo 01-11-2016 01:50 AM

Wow, this is really impressive. I went through the whole thread and read the ones that piqued my interest. How was it seeing John Zorn?

Also, your Shaggs review hit me in the feels. Idk if this means much to you, but as a 21yo schmuck who's constantly around musicians, I'm sure you'll find your people if you keep going to shows and keep making more music. High school is really a clusterfuck of identity confusion and hormone-driven egotism, but I'm sure there are a few cool, self-aware people who will dig you. After high school, it seems it's slightly--if not loads--easier to find humble-yet-cultured people who genuinely like you for who you are. Sort of makes the other adult shit more tolerable. Anyway, that's enough condescending blab from me.

I couldn't tell from your spreadsheet whether you needed more recs, but if you do, here ya go. If not, no warries m8.

Xiu Xiu - A Promise (experimental noise pop)
Savages - Silence Yourself (noisy post-punk)
Fugazi - The Argument (noisy post-punk)
NoMeansNo - Wrong (fun, heavy prog punk)
King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath The Moon (indie jazz pop)
John Frusciante - The Empyrean (psych indie rock)
Chris Potter - Imaginary Cities (modern third stream)
Lantlos - Melting Sun (gazey-doomy-proggy-psych metal w/clean vox--a departure from their earlier blackgaze stuff)
Botanist - VI: Flora (green metal huehue)
Cloakroom - Infinity (heavy slowgaze)

I tried to keep it interesting. Hope things go well for you man! :)

rayword45 01-11-2016 09:34 PM

Thanks for the kind words, I'm always looking for more recommendations even if I don't get to them all in the end.

Day 276: Blackstar by David Bowie

After almost a year of repeated listens, I'm upping my rating of Harmony In Ultraviolet to a 10/10, making the fourth 10/10 from this collection. Congratulations on my oh-so-important approval Tim Hecker. That means two out of four 10s I've given out are to drone albums (the others being trap mixtapes), but I swear I'm not some ambient freak... That's not even a bad thing why do I feel the need to specify this?

This dude just died. This album was released like two days before he died. I've never listened to his music before not because I'm anti-dadrock but because I'm lazy and I don't like MOST glam I've listened (most glam being... Bon Jovi). I'm not gonna be nice to this album just because he's recently deceased but I suppose I should give my respects. There they are.

Dear god, the mixing on this album is absolute TRASH. Are those drums and vocals meant to sound spacey? They sound fucking cheap and not in a pleasant way, like the budget for the equipment was in the double digits or something but they didn't want to admit it. Guitars? Who needs to hear them? That saxophone is really sexy but it sounds vaguely muffled. This whole album sounds like it went through just one level of compressor, enough to make it annoying but nothing else.

Remaster this damn album, because these songs are actually pretty good. They're over-the-top and a bit long but I cannot deny a good songwriter when I hear one. There are some seriously catchy choruses in here and great arrangements horribly marred by this production.

Rest in peace, hopefully to celebrate your legacy comes a remastered boxset.

Best Track: Girl Loves Me
Rating: 6/10 (could go up as much as 2.5 points with a remaster, but I'm not sure until that happens)

rayword45 01-13-2016 04:48 PM

Day 277: Los Angeles by Flying Lotus (Album Choice: korny)

When The Quiet Comes was the first and last Flying Lotus album I've listened to and that was 2 and a half goddamn years ago. My how times flies. I remember that album being pretty chill so that's why I chose this one, I need something to match this cold urban winter night.

And... not a bad choice, even if not the best one possible. This seems more linked to turntablism than that other album and I think I like this direction better. Except I barely remember that last album. Whatever. Good album. I also like that the songs are short enough to not overstay their welcome but long enough to build up an atmosphere. Keeping this one for sure.

Best Track: Comet Course
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 01-14-2016 07:47 PM

Day 278: Gay Disco by Guerilla Toss

I will estimate my chances of seeing this band before I go to college as being around 90 percent. I'm honestly pretty glad their original bassist quit since it means I'm spared of penis in the face.

Every album of theirs seems to vaguely tackle a different genre. This one is freeform jazz. I like a lot better when they go with more of a funk-pop route because

A. Focusing on one structure allows a song to build up and get really good
B. The good parts are too short
C. (This may not be the jazz influence but) Vocals are more shrieky and more grating than usual

Any time a good riff is heard, which is really quite often, is disappears too soon or is overlaid with overbearing screams. It's still a decent album but I much prefer their later directions.

Best Track: Trash Bed

rayword45 01-17-2016 02:01 PM

Day 279: We Stay Together by Andy Stott (Album Choice: Spenner)

Very good, very danceable, very psychedelic, very well-produced, very good use of samples, very I don't wanna write

Best Track: Posers
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 01-17-2016 04:22 PM

Day 280: All That We Know by Larry And His Flask (Album Choice: noname219)

This album is TOO GODDAMN LONG. By normal album standards it's pretty average but a folk punk release should be concise because you can only hear a banjo/trumpet combo for so long before getting annoyed.

Otherwise this is a pretty fun release, though I'd like a tad bit more anger in the songs. Definitely want to see these guys live.

Best Track: Manifest Destiny

noname219 01-17-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4396672)
Definitely want to see these guys live.

Quote:

This album is TOO GODDAMN LONG.
Also true.

rayword45 01-18-2016 01:08 PM

Day 281: Good News for People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse (Album Choice: Gus V.)

I had tears in my eyes from the second song (which is the first real song). However those tears came from yawning.

That sentence sounds way meaner than I intended it to, I'm just really tired. I thought I had never listened to this band before, but I definitely at least recognize Float On. That song sucked when I was 6.

Again, unnecessarily mean. I hated pretty much all music when I was 6, didn't listen to my first album until I was like, 12 I think.

So, to be properly mean, this is pretty decent indie rock, but no better than decent. The lyrics and arrangements are okay, but nothing special, and when they get really countryish it's somewhat cringeworthy.

Best Track: Blame It On The Tetons

rayword45 01-18-2016 09:37 PM

Day 282: Mirages by Tim Hecker

This is a very dark album, and it's too mesmerizing to study math to.

Best Track: Incurably Optimistic!
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 01-20-2016 07:42 AM

Day 283: Profane by Svart Crown (Album Choice: DoctorSatan)

These guys are best when they go slow and sludgy, but otherwise they're pretty repetitive.

Best Track: Revelation: Down Here Stillborn

rayword45 01-23-2016 07:16 PM

Day 284: Fever by Sleepy Sun (Album Choice: Shikari)

Pretty damn spotty
Good songs are mesmerizing
Meh songs are boring

Best Track: Marina

rayword45 01-23-2016 08:04 PM

Day 285: Bloodstream Sermon by Jefre Cantu-Ledesma (Album Choice: Contrapasso)

Pretty decent drone
Why am I doing haikus?
Because I'm lazy

Okay actually, this album deserves a LITTLE bit better because there is so little out there about it right now. The title makes this sound like it should be heavier, but otherwise this is a pretty nice duo of drones. BLOODSTREAM SERMON I is significantly better than BLOODSTREAM SERMON II though, since the latter peters off at the end.

And that's all I can really say. Hard to judge when the music barely changes.

Best Track: BLOODSTREAM SERMON I
Rating: 6.5/10