Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   kadef's Pattern Trainer (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=152841)

kadef 02-19-2021 11:16 AM

kadef's Pattern Trainer

Hey guys, I made a thing! Let me know what you think, especially if you think I should add or fix something. Otherwise, I hope it helps!

EDIT: This is version 1.1!
http://keysmashingisawesome.com/kadefspatterntrainer/

Changes:

- Fixed bug that caused some notes to disappear/move the wrong way
- Added smooth scrolling animation between notes (which can still be turned off)
- Improved pattern algorithm to steer away from lengthy OHTs
- Added bar and arrow skins
- Added support for arrow key keybinds

ositzxz369 02-19-2021 11:43 AM

Re: kadef's Pattern Trainer

y arent my arrows moving? how do i know if my keybinds been updated?

Akaunei 02-19-2021 11:54 AM

this is more like SV training

kadef 02-19-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ositzxz369 (Post 4756134)
y arent my arrows moving? how do i know if my keybinds been updated?

Keybinds should show up in top left corner, and are updated automatically once you finish typing them. Let me know if you’re still having trouble!

Matthia 02-19-2021 01:57 PM

This is a really neat thing! What would be nice if you can make a smooth transitioning animation between each keypress to the next row so it makes it a lot easier to read

SubaruPoptart 02-19-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthia (Post 4756139)
This is a really neat thing! What would be nice if you can make a smooth transitioning animation between each keypress to the next row so it makes it a lot easier to read

Yeah that's pretty much my only comment; I like the different settings for different patterns too. I think being able to set the BPM for something like a smooth-scroll would work pretty well but if people like the static advancement how it is rn you could toggle between the two.

Trumpet63 02-19-2021 02:25 PM

Very cool

kadef 02-19-2021 04:02 PM

Thanks guys! The constant scrolling obviously makes sense, but I wanted the player to practice at their own pace. I might try to find some way to create a scroll transition between notes that isn't jarring (figuring out how fast to make the transition will be tricky).

SubaruPoptart 02-19-2021 04:35 PM

Real quick: The patterns kinda bug out when you pick "stream".

The 4th column kinda creeps up the screen until it becomes invisible.

EDIT: 7-key stream works fine, it's 4-key stream that does this

Akaunei 02-19-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricZap9 (Post 4756147)
I'd like to see someone complain that the notes don't scroll and the controls freeze for every boo.

i already did that

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akaunei (Post 4756135)
this is more like SV training

kadef 02-19-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruPoptart (Post 4756146)
Real quick: The patterns kinda bug out when you pick "stream".

The 4th column kinda creeps up the screen until it becomes invisible.

EDIT: 7-key stream works fine, it's 4-key stream that does this

Weird - so the 4th column goes up while the others go down? Does this also happen for you on upscroll? Thanks for the picture!

kadef 02-19-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricZap9 (Post 4756147)
I'd like to see someone complain that the notes don't scroll and the controls freeze for every boo.

This project was inspired by qqwref’s trainer from 2010, which works similarly (Waiting for user to play the right note). I’m thinking about adding a scrolling animation in between notes, but I don’t want to use constant BPM scrolling, because I’d rather have users naturally play at/find their own pace.

SubaruPoptart 02-19-2021 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadef (Post 4756149)
Weird - so the 4th column goes up while the others go down? Does this also happen for you on upscroll? Thanks for the picture!

I haven't tested it on upscroll but I figured out after refreshing that this starts to happen when you switch back to 4-key after switching to 7-key.

Trying to replicate it I've found ANOTHER thing. I don't know how I did this one but on the 7-key stream the middle key is straight up gone.

My guess is something messes up when switching between 7-key and 4-key anything.

katanaeyegaming 02-20-2021 06:31 AM

oh so you finally got around to releasing it. I know you mentioned it on discord.

good stuff man

gold stinger 02-20-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadef (Post 4756144)
Thanks guys! The constant scrolling obviously makes sense, but I wanted the player to practice at their own pace. I might try to find some way to create a scroll transition between notes that isn't jarring (figuring out how fast to make the transition will be tricky).

Maybe an alternative mode where you can set a BPM and optional 4th note assist tick? That way, it can keep scrolling, and won't be as jarring to read or play.

Also, would love an option that attempts to steer away from one-handed trills. It comes up in patterning every now and again, but not as often as a simulator makes it out to be.

kadef 02-21-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4756184)
Also, would love an option that attempts to steer away from one-handed trills. It comes up in patterning every now and again, but not as often as a simulator makes it out to be.

Are you talking about the stream pattern? Or jumpstream patterns as well? It's funny that this happens - all I'm using is a random number generator, but I guess I should try to make these 6+ note trills less likely...

M0nkeyz 02-21-2021 12:39 PM

It's fun, but some notes are counting as a mistake when I'm clearly hitting the key it's showing, I'm guessing there's a bug that's causing some of the notes not to display properly?

kadef 03-2-2021 12:54 PM

Here's an update that mostly addresses people's suggestions/complaints! Let me know if you come up with anything else, and thanks so much for all the feedback :)

http://keysmashingisawesome.com/kadefspatterntrainer/

Changes:

- Fixed bug that caused some notes to disappear/move the wrong way
- Added smooth scrolling animation between notes (which can still be turned off)
- Improved pattern algorithm to steer away from lengthy OHTs
- Added bar and arrow skins
- Added support for arrow key keybinds