Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 03-1-2022 10:29 AM

Re: Recommend me some 2021 albums halp

Day 946: Ants From Up There by Black Country, New Road

I don't get it, why is everyone on music internet obsessed with this band? What makes them special? This stuff isn't awful like 100 gecs where I can at least see the unique appeal of that scene (and I like some other hyperpop), this is just boring crescendocore that other equally boring bands have been making for decades. There's nothing special about this. For my ADHD, I'd rather listen to a truly terrible album in full that's got something unique to show the world than whatever this overrated, bland unseasoned auditory tofu is.

Best Track: You can actually suck my balls
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 03-3-2022 03:59 PM

Day 947: Stillness by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

I asked my jazz friend to recommend some more albums from this guy, because I decided I wanted to delve more into this discography but this was NOWHERE near as good as Equinox. In fact it was rather bland to me.

Best Track: For What It's Worth
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 03-4-2022 08:04 AM

Day 948: Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You by Big Thief

uh oh the white art school girls are going to KILL me

if one actually reads this

Best Track: Little Things

rayword45 03-17-2022 12:29 PM

Day 949: DS4EVER by Gunna

I can't believe I listened to all 55 minutes of this. This guy is beyond boring and he never seems to improve. Why do I keep wasting my time with this guy? I'm obviously not biased again trap but this guy is so boring I fail to see what the appeal could possibly be. And it's not like 21 Savage where him mumbling is part of the appeal, because this isn't really mumble rap, it's just generic.

Best Track: Legitimately cannot tell you, probably none of them
Rating: 2.5/10

rayword45 03-17-2022 12:32 PM

Day 950: Look Around by Sérgio Mendes & Brasil '66 (Album Choice: my buddy Phil, kinda)

Meant to log this over a week and a half ago but forgot to because I listened to it 3 times to see if my opinion would've changed. Better than Stillness, nowhere near as good as Equinox, wish it had a vibe closer to the latter.

Best Track: The Frog
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 03-18-2022 01:11 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2022 albums halp

Day 951: Impera by Ghost

Is it me or does this year suck so far? I've never been a huge fan of this band but this was their worst by far.

Best Track: Griftwood
Rating: 3.5/10

flat chest choof 03-19-2022 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4776631)
this guy is so boring I fail to see what the appeal could possibly be.

"sounds kinda like young thug"
that's basically it, altho young thug's recent stuff has been pretty not good either

rayword45 03-23-2022 09:25 PM

Day 952: Un hiver en plein été by Félicia Atkinson & Jefre Cantu-Ledesma (Album Choice: an NYC buddy, kinda)

I'm likely gonna see the two of these live at a church with some friends in a couple of weeks so I decided to bump this. This is way less minimalistic than everything else I've heard from Jefre, and I don't think it actually qualifies as drone. It's pretty but I can't say I was amazed by it. Maybe it'll translate better live.

Best Track: Septembers
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 03-26-2022 10:19 PM

Day 953: Classic Objects by Jenny Hval

I recognize this name because this person guested on one of Kelly Lee Owens' albums. I forget which.

And this album is good. The long songs seem a bit TOO long but not by too much and the whole thing is a pleasant, dreamy listen front-to-back. It's a bit less airy and breathy than Owens, with lyrics occasionally bordering on John Darnielle levels of verbosity, but either way this was an enjoyable album for the entire duration. For multiple listens.

Best Track: American Coffee
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 03-29-2022 07:59 AM

Day 954: Melt My Eyez See Your Future by Denzel Curry

I'm surprised people are liking this a lot more than ZUU, it's more ambitious, sure, but it lacks the energy or the fun of his last two albums. It's not bad, it's still good, just probably my least favorite of his in years.

Best Track: Walkin

rayword45 03-30-2022 09:21 AM

Day 955: Crash by Charli XCX (Album Choice: it's the great hyperpop fandom, Charlie Brown)

I'm beginning to question my sexuality bc of my fandom of this artist.

Actually, never mind, I'm almost certainly bi. Who cares? I'd rather be a bisexual POC than a hetero white guy or a LGBTQIA+ white guy. Really I'm just glad I'm not white so fuck y'all.

Anyways, the virginal caucasian internet music nerds seem to be calling this a massive disappointment. Why? I don't understand. This is certainly not as good as How I'm Feeling Now but it kicks the shit out of any other stuff I've heard from her. It's not got the quote-unquote complexity or experimentation of some of her more recent works, but what it does have is FUN. Almost every track on this album would make for a great party/rave track to play on the dance floor. The beats she chooses are dance-y, rave-y, and varied enough in the different types of entry-level EDM vibes she chooses for backing tracks. I would 100% go nuts if half of these played at a party. Fun > whatever those /mu/-reading idiots value in an artist like this.

Best Track: the one-two punch of Good Ones and Constant Repeat
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 04-17-2022 05:42 PM

Day 956: Aethiopes by Billy Woods (Album Rec: I forgot tbh)

I listened to this three times, I enjoyed it to some degree, appreciated it was short, but... y'know I'm starting to realize that my favorite stuff in hip-hop is what a lot of people think of as "lowest common denominator" shit. Maybe I'm just dumb. Maybe I'm just hungover.

(okay, favorite outside of a good chunk of 90s shit bc cmon I'm Asian the Wu shaped my middle-high years, that will ALWAYS be my favorite)

But yeah still good, don't see it making a top 10 for me though.

Best Track: I wanted to put a ligma joke here but meh

rayword45 04-17-2022 05:49 PM

Day 957: Third Summer of Love by Unknown Damage (Album Choice: LivingSamely, who didn't make this album)

Chops I love you, but I only enjoyed about half this album. Sorry bro. :(

Best Track: Still too hungover
Rating: 5.5-6/10 (way too specific)

rayword45 04-18-2022 07:41 PM

Day 958: Motomati by Rosalía

Serious downgrade from her last album. Now to go find something else to listen to. I hate my life. I don't deserve love.

At least it's a fun album at times.

Best Track: dixie normus

Hateandhatred 04-18-2022 09:43 PM

oh my god, you are still doing this!

rayword45 04-20-2022 09:40 AM

Day 959: Diaspora Problems by Soul Glo (Album Choice: _case_)

I thought I wasn't gonna like this, but I actually did! A lot of good raucous cuts that made me wanna go to another punk show, and there were some moments here and there that made me cringe a bit, but damnit this was just pure aggressive fun for the most part. I'm surprised.

Also, is this band cancelled? I have no idea I remembering hearing some drama about them. Anyways, I need to go visit my Amherst friends and go to another basement punk show, this album is hitting me with nostalgia.

Best Track: John J

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 4777157)
oh my god, you are still doing this!

yup, I probably won't stop until this site dies

rayword45 04-28-2022 08:59 AM

Day 960: Together by Duster

This was fairly enjoyable, I expected to be bored by it but I found it to be decent. It got a bit repetitive and the atmosphere was pretty much the EXACT same throughout the entire LP but I guess that was the point?

I need to relisten to their old albums and see how they compare. Okay back to work.

Best Track: Feel No Joy

rayword45 04-28-2022 04:20 PM

Day 961: It's Almost Dry by Pusha T

Listened to it thrice. Then listened to Daytona again. That one was better but this is still decent I suppose, lacks a bit of the punch that one had.

Best Track: Diet Coke

rayword45 04-29-2022 03:26 PM

Day 962: Everything Was Beautiful by Spiritualized

You know the one album they're most famous for. I actually like that album, call me a basic bitch I don't care, that one is a bit too long but it NAILS the atmosphere it's going for outside of a few cuts.

This one, on the other hand, was some boring paint-by-numbers shit. Whatever influences they tried to add, they just made themselves sound worse.

1000 coming up soon...

Best Track: I'm too sleep deprived to pick which track was least uninteresting to me
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 05-5-2022 09:32 AM

Day 963: Lp.8 by Kelly Lee Owens

This album has 9 tracks and this is her third LP. What gives with the title?

I'm inherently biased towards this artist and I think I've made that pretty clear, but I have to admit, I think this is her weakest album yet. This one leans a lot less on the pop side, like a WHOLE lot less, and vocals are sparser than ever before. I still enjoyed this quite a bit, but I wish there were more tracks like Re-Wild, L.I.N.E or Keep Walking and that this album leaned less towards the ambient side and more towards the pop side.

Still, def one of the best concerts I saw in 2021 and I'd be hyped to see her again.

Best Track: One