Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

Deadlyx39 01-30-2020 11:18 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Might as well make the delayed 5-year retrospective a 6-year retrospective at this point.

rayword45 01-31-2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4711103)
Might as well make the delayed 5-year retrospective a 6-year retrospective at this point.

i have an idea lol

rayword45 02-4-2020 07:58 PM

Day 705: Miss Anthropocene by Grimes

I don't care if this leak is unfinished or not, I wanted to hear how Bezos changed the music. And also, I don't like the idea of my streaming money going to that cuck that lost a quarter trillion or something because he's the only 55-year old man in the world to send a dick pic during an affair.

Wait, I'm sorry, I fucked up, I don't like my streaming money going to Elon is what I should've said. He looks like he smells bad and says bad things.

Anyways, it looks like I forgot to review Art Angels but I found it equal parts boring and annoying. Either I'm misremembering, my tastes have changed drastically, or this is a significant step up! Only a few serious snoozers here and there, and if this is the unfinished mastering version I need to check it out again in a month. Some songs reminded me of 100 gecs except it's not because the songs sounded like them besides maybe the voice being squeaky it's just that that shit was so fucking horrible it hasn't left my head. This shit is good!

I'm mad that there's no song called "No Longer An Anti-Imperialist" or "Shadow Fetus" though. And just once again, fuck billionaires.

Best Track: Violence
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 02-11-2020 10:48 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

Day 706: 2017-2019 by Against All Logic

I gotta tell ya, kids, this one started out WEIRD. All of the first few tracks were absolutely not what I was expecting, incredibly experimental stuff.

Then after the first 4 or 5 tracks it settled nicely into the groovy, danceable stuff I was expecting, and these tracks are for the most part up to par or just below the quality of his last album. The last track is also a bit weird though.

This score is ESPECIALLY tentative, because after 2 listens I'm still not sure what to make of about half or so, but the rest of it is quite good!

Best Track: Penny
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 02-12-2020 12:35 AM

Day 707: UNLOCKED by Denzel Curry and Kenny Beats

This one is reaaaaal short, and a bit more experimental than Zuu, less ambitious than TA13OO and honestly worse than both. I'm still enjoying it, the aggression on display, moreso than the last two albums for sure, matches well with the rather abrasive beats, but it isn't anything particularly special. Everything here is solid, no real misses, no real stand-outs.

Best Track: Read the last sentence
Rating: 6/10

DeciBel1231 02-13-2020 08:39 PM

Mama - NoMeansNo

rayword45 02-14-2020 03:57 PM

Day 708: The Slow Rush by Tame Impala

Happy national STD testing day, these guys (or is it just this guy?) decided to release on this day after a near 5 year hiatus. I... honestly had forgotten all about them, and that's weird considering I still think Lonerism is a good pop psych album and that some of the vaporwave-y songs on that vaporwave-y album slap. I say all that but I haven't listened to their music in, like, maybe nearly 3 years? Except a song here or there VERY intermittently. Anyways, on we go.

I... don't have much to say about this one. Somehow, it seems like he was trying to be really ambitious, but instead it just ends up being boring. It's not horrible or anything, most of these songs are passable, a few are good, and a few are cheesy, but that's just it. Nothing stands out hard enough, yet it really does feel like a lot of effort was put into it. Or maybe I'm just saying that because this is 2-3 years minutes too late and 20-30 minutes too long.

I'll never forget that night at Boston Calling though... Though Beck was the better performance.

Best Track: It Might Be Time
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 02-14-2020 06:06 PM

Day 709: Overdrive EP by Space Laces

Prepping for the festival next month.

Dubstep is such a great, enjoyable genre live. Most of the recorded stuff just bores the fuck out of me though, this included. I prefer cornandbeans as corny as some of those songs were.

Best Track: Kaiju
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 02-18-2020 11:33 PM

Day 710: Circles by Mac Miller

It's been, what, 5 years since I listened to this guy? And he died like 2 years or close to it now ago? I suppose that's working from a clean slate, or close to it.

Anyways, with the exception of a few tracks, this is barely hip-hop. DEFINITELY less so than the last album I listened to of his. Instead we get a bunch of slow pop soul which is enjoyable enough, but only a few tracks really left a lasting impression on me thus far. Maybe this one is a grower, but I've seen a lot of comparisons to IGOR which still hasn't grown on me. Only time will tell.

Don't do fentanyl.

Best Track: I Can See
Rating: 5/10

mi40 02-19-2020 03:12 AM

this is frankly the most ambitious project that is taking place on ffr
if i may,
Pete Namlook & Various ‎– The Ambient Gardener · Winter

rayword45 02-20-2020 01:25 AM

Day 711: Mama by NoMeansNo (Album Choice: DeciBel1231)

Yet again, here's someone I haven't reviewed in years, but unlike others I actually still listen to Wrong at least a few times a year! That's a well put-together album. I recall putting some of their other albums on in the background and not enjoying them as much, but definitely not this one.

And this one is eh. A hell of a lot less produced and a hell of a lot less aggressive than the album I like more, instead this one has more of a jazzy art-rock vibe which doesn't always work for me with the more restrained punk attitude. Also the comparative lack of bass tone is disappointing. Eh.

Best Track: Red Devil

Deadlyx39 02-21-2020 02:42 PM

Ozzy Osbourne’s new album came out today. Haven’t listened to it yet.

rayword45 02-21-2020 11:02 PM

Day 712: Man Alive! by King Krule

Well, preconceptions are usually a bad thing! I haven't listened to, like, more than 2 songs by this guy before today, and I thought not much of them at all. My knowledge of him is basically that he's ginger, and that a lot of white girls in my area who like shit like Drake and The Weeknd tend to swoon over him a LOT so I assumed I wasn't his target audience, and that it'd be some boring whiteboy R&B type stuff. What this actually is is one of the strangest albums I've listened to in a while, especially for someone this big, and I enjoyed almost every second of it. There's almost nothing in the way of traditional melodies that are obvious on the forefront, and both texturally and mood-wise this album explores a LOT. Now I actually want to check out his other work.

When you make assumptions, you're an asshole. Is that the phrase?

Best Track: Underclass
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 02-24-2020 11:35 PM

Day 713: MG Demo Disc by Machine Girl

Outside of one track, which is my favorite, this sounds a lot more like Gemini/WLFGRL era stuff than the later stuff, which is interesting considering how it spans several years of demos but perhaps not all that surprising. Outside of that one track, this ranges from fun bouncy breakbeat type stuff to dull repetitive shallow breakbeat type stuff. I wouldn't call it consistent nor would I expect that, but it's decent.

Best Track: The Windows

rayword45 03-2-2020 11:56 PM

Day 714: U-Void Synthesizer by Machine Girl

I'll open by saying this probably has the weakest opening track of any of their albums since before Because I'm Young Arrogant blahblahblah. But that's not really much of a slight, as those have often been the best tracks and the opener here is still GOOD. As a matter of fact, almost this whole album is good, something I haven't felt like I've been able to say about any of their works prior (I never reviewed WLFGRL or Gemini but I can confirm this is more consistent than the former). Thus it's my favorite of theirs now. Even the dancier tracks don't let up the aggression, leading to a far more cohesive release than anything else they've done thus far. Serious contender for my end-of-year list, as early as it is to say that I've not felt that way about one of their albums before.

Best Track: Devil Speak
Rating: 8.5/10

mi40 03-4-2020 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4716694)
Day 714: U-Void Synthesizer by Machine Girl

I'll open by saying this probably has the weakest opening track of any of their albums since before Because I'm Young Arrogant blahblahblah. But that's not really much of a slight, as those have often been the best tracks and the opener here is still GOOD. As a matter of fact, almost this whole album is good, something I haven't felt like I've been able to say about any of their works prior (I never reviewed WLFGRL or Gemini but I can confirm this is more consistent than the former). Thus it's my favorite of theirs now. Even the dancier tracks don't let up the aggression, leading to a far more cohesive release than anything else they've done thus far. Serious contender for my end-of-year list, as early as it is to say that I've not felt that way about one of their albums before.

Best Track: Devil Speak

i look forward to a WLFGRL review from you someday in the future

rayword45 03-5-2020 09:37 PM

Day 715: Honeymoon by Beach Bunny

All the Facebook music groups I'm in full of neckbeard hipsters that jack off to Fantano's nudes are talking about this artist. I'm completely unfamiliar but that usually doesn't equate to me liking the music beyond a "meh" grade, with some exceptions.

This is not an exception. This reminds me of the time in 2018(?) where Snail Mail and Soccer Mommy were blowing up, and this is better than the former but worse than the latter. Outside of just comparing to other singer/songwriter indie women, this album started off as a lot of bouncy fun with a sensed emotional core, but less than halfway through I was just bored and slightly annoyed. I would probably be nicer right now if it was lo-fi, or if the first 3 tracks didn't just make everything more disappointing after.

Best Track: Promises or April

rayword45 03-5-2020 11:40 PM

Day 716: Be Up A Hello by Squarepusher

Fuck you Squarepusher your not cool because you can make the drums go fast

That meme will never be unfunny to me.

This album is... better than the last release of his I reviewed, but honestly, I still wouldn't call it good. The first two tracks are phenomenal, warm, MELODIC little nuggets of breakcore goodness, then for the rest of the album I guess he was just like "lol fuck melody" with the exception of slow outlier Detroit People Mover and it just sounds like soulless Autechre to me.

But those first two tracks are really, really, really good!

Best Track: Oberlove
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 03-11-2020 01:04 AM

Day 717: Mystic Familiar by Dan Deacon

Imtoo drunk to sleep rn to articulate my thoughts but this is REALLY good. I love Off The Air and I love this music because... Fuck itgood just trust me i might elaborate furtherlater

Fuck academia. Bring on the coronavirus.

Best Track: the Arp series or Bumble Bee Crown King

rayword45 03-11-2020 01:13 PM

Day 718: WLFGRL by Machine Girl (Album Choice: mi40)

Again, reviewing an album I've heard many times before yet never wrote on because... Idk fuck you

I actually prefer the Demo Disc to this one. This one is... Kinda repetitive at times, and I mean it's consistent but perhaps overly so? Also, the video game atmosphere is cool but can also come off as gimmicky, even though the same influences don't really ever feel that way on their later albums.

There really just needs to be way more groovers in the mix here. More aggression in the aggressive tracks too, but DEFINITELY this needs more groovers.

Best Track: Out By The 16, Dead On The Scene