Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

ilikexd 12-18-2019 07:42 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Duster's new self-titled

rayword45 12-19-2019 02:05 AM

Day 690: Transportation by Your Old Droog

I've seen this album mentioned by hip-hop heads for several months now but never got around to it. Just like last album, this one is inconsistent and in equal turns corny or bumping, but it works better here I think. Samples are just as goofy (Zappa and Norm MacDonald in the same song makes me hope this guy isn't a libertarian and I like both of those guys' work), but I like that more in this context probably because of the less oppressive nature of this music, and production is on point for the most part otherwise.

Not bad at all. A year highlight? No, but not bad at all.

Best Track: Train Love
Rating: 7/10

M0nkeyz 12-25-2019 08:25 AM

Try Tommy Guerrero - Road to Nowhere

rayword45 12-26-2019 05:22 PM

Day 691: LEGACY! LEGACY! by Jamila Woods

I heard some of this woman's singing years ago when I listened to Surf. Although Chance is largely a meme now, I still think that one holds up, zoomers rise up!

Anyways, this album, good! Very good! Consistent, and what's low is merely uninteresting whereas the highs got me grooving in bed while I'm still doing math homework. Production is on point the whole 49 minutes. This needs a relisten.

Kill me, please. I really hate my life right now. Happy holidays!

Best Track: Miles
Rating: 7.5/10

Wind0ze 12-26-2019 05:36 PM

I by Follakzoid

rayword45 12-26-2019 07:32 PM

Day 692: Death Becomes Her by Angel-Ho

Started out strong on all facets, then quickly the more club-sounding songs became so annoying that the interludes and instrumentals became the easy highlights. They were some really good instrumentals though.

Best Track: Like A Girl
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-28-2019 04:39 PM

Day 693: Fog FM by Anthony Naples

It’s good, but not “best of 2019” good. Fuck off if you want me to write more.

Best Track: I’ll Follow You

rayword45 12-31-2019 06:48 PM

Day 694: Ataraxic by ODAE

Some of these sound like songs that bperson would recommend me. The ones with vocals sound like a cross between the softer Brainiac songs and Danse Manatee-era hipster hippy band, not as good as Brainiac but way better than the other reference I pulled out of my ass. Rather inconsistent, but I enjoyed it a ton on multiple listens.

Best Track: Apatheia
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 01-1-2020 07:00 PM

Day 695: Grapefruit Regret by Karenn

This was the perfect pre-rave music, and the perfect post-rave music. I loved every minute of it, although one song sounded way too much like Benny Benassi. This goes in the top 10 of the year.

God this hangover sucks.

Best Track: I forget lol
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 01-2-2020 12:20 AM

Day 696: I by Follakzoid (Album Choice: Wind0ze)

This somehow managed to find the exact point between "not minimalistic enough to be dreamy" and "too minimalistic to groove ro" (most of the time). I'm a simple, stupid man. This did not satisfy me except in brief spurts.

Best Track: III (if you can even call these separate tracks)
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 01-14-2020 01:39 AM

Day 697: Fever by Megan Thee Stallion

I mean it's a lot of fun, but the whole sexual atmosphere can get a little overbearing at times when it's the same fuckin topic every song.

No pun was intended there.

Best Track: Simon Says

Kori_RBLX 01-14-2020 02:47 AM

I dont know if this was recommended yet but

IGOR - TYLER THE CREATOR

New Magic Wand is a favorite of mine. Bumped it for the rest of the year.

rayword45 01-14-2020 03:57 AM

Day 698: Future Predictions by Celer

This was... middling oh fuck it's 5AM I'm still awake kill me

Best Track: Nothing Will Change
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 01-14-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kori_RBLX (Post 4707628)
I dont know if this was recommended yet but

IGOR - TYLER THE CREATOR

New Magic Wand is a favorite of mine. Bumped it for the rest of the year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4674991)
Day 569: Igor by Tyler The Creator

To repeat what I've been shitting all over the rest of the internet, there's too much fucking pitch shifting. This isn't as good as Flower Boy but it's better than all his other albums, especially Cherry Bomb to which this kinda seems like an attempt at a do-over. A lot of these tracks feel like The Internet rejects and I don't think Tyler is enough of a singer to carry this kind of album so it could use some more features. I still do like it though, and the bangers are some of his best party tracks ever.

But the fucking pitch-shifting whyyyyyy

Best Track: Are We Still Friends
Rating: 7/10 (4 in a row!)

I stand by that rating, maybe a little lower TBH, but Flower Boy is still a 9/10

rayword45 01-14-2020 02:56 PM

Day 699: Good Luck, Everybody by AJJ

Oh yeah, that last album was my first "2020" album. I should change the thread title.

Anyways, here goes number two! I listened to the FUCK out of these guys during those late middle school early high school days, but... I don't remember if I've listened to anything past Knife Man. Lemme go check.

Nope I haven't. WAIT! That's a lie, I heard them cover Neil Young and Smelly Turd Poops for AV Club! Now most of those videos are missing, including the latter one. HAHAHA just kidding I THOUGHT it was lost but somehow when I googled it today it came up! Maybe I just suck at googling. Oh well, I'm playing that right now, and while it isn't as good as I remember, it kicks the shit outta Stone Temple Pilots! And suddenly now, I'm remembering that I tried to listen to the album they released after Knife Man and it was boring and devoid of energy and passion and then I gave up. Well, I hope this is better than my (potentially wrong) memories of that album.

...Nah sorry I'm unimpressed. They must've come into a lot of money since 2012-2014 and I just forgot about it, but somehow this sounds like the most produced thing I've ever heard from them. The rawness of their earliest albums and Knife Man are what makes it so I still listen to them every now and then, there's a sense of "urgency" in those songs that makes it feel like they could fall apart at any time, and I'm just not feeling this slicker vibe.

And even so, produced isn't necessarily bad! But none of the songs stood out as particularly memorable, and in such a short album, that's not very good. Maybe this will reveal more with repeat listens but... ah who am I kidding gonna be years before I try to listen to this again.

Best Track: Body Terror Song
Rating: 4/10

rayword45 01-20-2020 02:53 AM

Day 700: The Archer by Alexandra Savior

This is hit-or-miss, but leaning towards the former for the most part. People call this a Lana worship album but I actually think this album is far more coherent, lo-fi and honest than Normal Fucking Rockwell, which may be why I enjoyed it more overall.

It can be boring at times, but the highs are high enough that I think this deserves a tentatively decent score, and maybe repeat listens will change that. Regardless, not a bad starter for 2020.

Best Track: way too scattered
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 01-20-2020 12:24 PM

Day 701: Phantom Limb by 16-17

Getting real close to two years of this guys! Hopefully I finish my long-delayed 5 year retrospective by then. Anyways, this album is pretty good. Not particularly innovative or anything, but it slaps hard when it goes for aggression, and the "softer" pieces work just as well.

Nothing really sticks out as a lowlight for me. Admittedly I'm often a sucker for this kinda music and it does tend to lend itself towards first listens being best. Perhaps repeat listens will change my opinion drastically but until then, best new album I've heard this year!

Best Track: Subliminal Song though the final track is close
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 01-26-2020 03:10 PM

Day 702: Neyslutrans by Hatari

The best way I can describe this sound is like if Celldweller and Ke$ha had a child that they put up for adoption whom then got into crack in... Iceland... For some reason.

Either way I enjoyed this more than either of those two artists, but it does get pretty annoying pretty often.

Best Track: Þræll
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 01-26-2020 11:31 PM

Day 703: You Can Never Have A Long Enough Head Start by Floral Tattoo

On some of the tracks, the singer sounds like Ernie.

Best Track: One of the first few, which sounded kinda like Ernie singing The Beatles
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 01-30-2020 11:03 PM

Day 704: Draining Love Story by Sewerslvt

I don't know how much I'm gonna return to this album, but it's well-made, eclectic and really nails the "atmospheric" in atmospheric D&B. Plus, it samples Moral Orel, so that's an automatic +1!

Best Track: Mr Kill Myself