Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 11-1-2019 12:02 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 660: Leaving Meaning. by Swans

I was going to quote my Glass Beach review, but then I double checked and saw I gave the same rating to the last two Swans albums as I plan to give this one!

You don't need to make every album a fucking movie, Gira.

Best Track: Some New Things
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 11-1-2019 05:31 PM

Day 661: Feet of Clay by Earl Sweatshirt

This might end up being a grower like I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside ended up being for me, but I really wish dude would go back to making songs above 2 minutes the norm. It's not bad, but it really does feel like a collection of leftovers from last year's release, which isn't at all how I felt about his last EP Solace (probably still his best release). Will need to give it a few more spins before the end of the year.

Best Track: El Toro Combo Meal
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 11-1-2019 07:47 PM

Day 662: Tracing Back The Radiance by Jefre Cantu-Ledesma

Better than the last album of his I reviewed! Marginally.

Best Track: Palace Of Time
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 11-2-2019 06:13 PM

Day 663: Ascend by Illenium (Album Choice: Meatyguy)

I told myself I wasn't gonna listen to this long ago because of the amount of basic-ass Asians I've met that say shit like "I only listen to Excision, Illenium, and Porter Robinson" then tell me how they cried to this shit rolling. Maybe I should've SpongeBob capitalized that. That doesn't really reflect on how I should perceive the music, but I stand by the fact that listening to only THREE artists is some ridiculousness. Spotify autoplays when you finish an album! YouTube has recommendations right there! I don't care what you listen to, but how can you only listen to THREE artists? I don't know people who do that with any other genre! And the fact that a lot actively turn their noses at, like, other dubstep is baffling I do not understand what makes Excision so fucking special and unique versus literally every other wub-wub artist. Fucking college Asian ravers...

But anyways, I'm listening to this, and I'm enjoying it about as much as I thought I would. It's not bad. But it's really same-y at times while somehow also being a complete mixed bag in that some songs are gorgeous (not that I'm gonna cry to this shit) and others are great fun (funny enough, I wouldn't call Gorgeous a gorgeous song but it'd bang live) while others sound like an Ed Sheeran knockoff band or shit from some ITG stamina pack at a lower rate mod. Also, it's so fucking long... Which is good for studying but bad for making me want to listen to this whole thing in a single sitting ever again.

I hear his old stuff is a lot less pop-oriented, maybe I'll like it more? Also, I'd totally see him or Excision live still, I just wouldn't travel 2 hours to do so, nor would I roll at a single stage concert with no re-entry that charges for non-bathroom sink water fuck that. I wouldn't do that for Porter Robinson under his regular name but I feel like I'd be obligated to do that for Virtual Self.

Best Track: Broken Ones
Rating: 5/10

choof 11-3-2019 02:25 AM

https://idlesunder.bandcamp.com/album/psygnosis

rayword45 11-3-2019 10:04 AM

Day 664: ! by Trippie Redd (Album Choice: the boys)

Okay first off, FUCK YOU for that album title. !!! is the worst band name ever and this is the same but far less distinctive. If it was a joke, not funny. If it was some kinda statement, it's a dumb statement. Fuck you goddamn Ronald McDonald-lookin Bhad Bhabie-"I ain't a pedophile like 6ix9ine I swear!" motherfucker.

This guy has more than a few songs that I actually enjoy, at least at parties and during car rides with the boys, but goddamn I don't think I'll ever actually enjoy one of his albums lol. More than half of these songs sound like a fucking mess to me, the features, the lyrics, the vocals, everything except the slightly more consistent beats is just sloppy (and I actually really like some of the artists featured). I don't know if it's because he's incapable of making a good, cohesive, consistent project, or if he can but I just can't stand him in long doses, or something else. Whatever.

I showed a friend a picture of a NEET clown on Tinder I saw and he replied "ain't that Trippie Redd?"

Best Track: Snake Skin
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 11-4-2019 05:20 PM

Day 665: Utility by Barker

I've listened to this 4 times now and I barely remember anything about it!

Best Track: Models of Wellbeing

rayword45 11-6-2019 07:15 PM

Day 666: Death Race For Love by Juice WRLD

Suppose that's a fitting 666. I sat through this once.

Once.

I'm never sitting through that again. Shit just makes me feel gross inside, the softer songs are syrupy as fuck and the "bangers" also suck. I know the whole "incel" thing is a meme but this music sucks. Fuck Tinder.

Best Track: Fast
Rating: 3/10

rayword45 11-6-2019 09:35 PM

Day 667: What Would The Odd Do? by Guerilla Toss

It's not bad, it's better than Twisted Crystal, I just miss the noisy stuff...

Best Track: Future Doesn't Know
Rating: 7/10

aperson 11-9-2019 01:54 PM

Rrose - Hymn to Moisture

rayword45 11-9-2019 08:08 PM

Day 668: Resonant Body by Octo Octa

Every release she drops I find myself enjoying even more. This is significantly different from the other releases of hers I’ve reviewed due to a heavier reliance on breakbeats but it keeps that deep, luscious atmosphere that soaks me in while also adding in a newfound energy.

This is good. Very good. Can’t believe I waited two months. She never fails me.

Best Track: Ecstatic Beat or Deep Connections
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 11-12-2019 03:45 AM

Day 669: Magdalene by FKA Twigz (Album Choice: bad facebook groups)

Okay this review is gonna suck more than my Life of Pablo review from nearly 4 years ago bc i need to sleep asap because I am dying. Anyways,

-Wholly disappointing first track, but it picks up after pretty fast.
-Good Future feature. I like Future.
-Mary Magdalene is the best track here, and not just because I like making jokes about her sometimes!
-Glitchy tracks like Sad Day and especially Fallen Alien fucking slap.
-The closing track, well, I mean I understand that they wanted to bring it back to minimalism, but I just can't click with it. Actually there are too many slow ballads here in general, pls make more glitch hop stick lady.

Overall? I'm DEFINITELY gonna have to revisit this one, because it honestly felt like a very middling release but I feel like even two listens for this one isn't enough. And once again, I know I must've said it a million times, but FUCK ACADEMIA AND FUCK ADD YO IT'S FUCKING 4:45 AM and I have class in 6 hours AGGGGGHH

Best Track: Mary Magdalene

rayword45 11-13-2019 03:13 PM

Day 670: Hymn to Moisture by Rrose (Album Choice: housedog)

Congrats Bill, this is almost definitely the album I’ve listened to the most before jotting down my thoughts, partly because school and partly because I wanted to crack this more before saying anything.

I expected this to be some superweeb shit because of the artist name without ever listening to one of their songs, and I’m glad I’m wrong. This is mostly space, quite amelodic soundscapes with drums that sound like slow footwork to me. The first couple of times I listened to this I thought “these songs all sound the damn same!” but with more listens I found myself appreciating the different rhythms and grooves a lot more. Still, I only like two-thirds of this album and I can’t even say why.

I would say “need some relistens” but I’ve listened like 12 times.

Best Track: Horizon followed by the title track

Deadlyx39 11-14-2019 07:07 PM

Damn I had a lot of reviews to catch up on, you made me want to listen to that Lightning Bolt album now. Got a few recommendations for you:

The Nothing - Korn
Walk the Sky - Alter Bridge
Our Pathetic Age - DJ Shadow

rayword45 11-16-2019 08:48 PM

Day 671: Pang by Caroline Polachek

Is this year going to ultimately be defined musically for me as "the year I listened to way too many sadgirl and synthgirl indie acts"? Maybe, maybe not, who gives a shit? This is partially the former but moreso the latter, which I am thankful for as I'm more likely to enjoy it.

Listened twice, it's pleasant, nothing special outside of a few standout tracks but almost never grating or bad. Doesn't have that special spark or character that made some of my other favorites this year like Angel Olsen stand out, but to be quite honest, if I'm not complaining during any point of it, it's probably not too bad! Or maybe 1000 gecs just lowered my standards massively.

Best Track: Door

rayword45 11-16-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4702742)
Damn I had a lot of reviews to catch up on, you made me want to listen to that Lightning Bolt album now. Got a few recommendations for you

The first track will basically tell you if you'll like it or not

rayword45 11-18-2019 06:58 PM

Day 672: Our Pathetic Age by DJ Shadow (Album Choice: Deadlyx39)

ok boomer

I wanted to leave my review at that, but the fact that this is 90 minutes makes me not want to do that. Instead here are some bulletpoints.

-Is Juggernaut supposed to be boomer dubstep?
-Firestorm would be good in a movie soundtrack of some melodramatic sort.
-Weightless is pretty good
-oh my god this is actually a boomer meme brought to auditory life
-The last two instrumental tracks are pretty good too
-WOW this is two separate albums!

Yeah, this is hard to review because it's like two separate albums, and the first instrumental one mostly sucks, but the second one with guest rappers rules! I'll just go with a middling rating because coasting on your guests is lame. Boomer.

Best Track: Rain On Snow
Rating: 5.5/10 (if it ended at We Are Always Alone it'd be a low 3, and if it started at the one with Nas it'd be a low 8)

rayword45 11-18-2019 08:13 PM

Day 673: The Origin Of My Depression by Uboa

This sounds so similar to at least 2 or 3 albums I've listened to this year or last that I can't quite put my finger on it, have I reviewed this already? Have I listened to this already? If I have I'll need to fix the numbers. This is okay. I prefer the non-screamy tracks over the screamy ones, but that just could be because of what I'm looking for right now. My brain is broken. This is not the origin of my depression.

Best Track: An Angel Of Great And Terrible Light

rayword45 11-18-2019 09:08 PM

Day 674: We All Shine by YNW Melly

A lot of these lyrics (or heck, even the album title) are actually kinda darkly humourous, particularly on the first track and No Holidays, when you consider the fiasco this dude was recently involved in. What the fuck was that? Was he sacrificing two of his bros for the sake of clout only for it to go horribly wrong due to forensic evidence? Or was he beefing with them and trying to get a clean getaway? Or is this all the powers that be trying to bring a man down?

Who knows and who cares, what matters is this album is fucking generic GARBAGE.

Best Track: Rolling Loud
Rating: 3/10

choof 11-19-2019 05:23 PM

idk if you reviewed the last madeon album but if you did, the new madeon album will most likely get the exact same rating