Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 06-3-2019 01:37 AM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 579: Symphony No. 3: Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, Op. 36 by Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra / Krzysztof Penderecki / Beth Gibbons

I dunno how to review classical shit man. It's good, and the singer is especially talented, moreso knowing the preparations she had to go under, but the only sentence that repeated in my mind as I listened multiple times was "I'd like this more without the damn singing". Kinda hinders my ability to get lost in the atmosphere.

That and for some reason I was expecting something less elegant and more experimental (like the phenomenal opener when I saw Billy Basinski live) because I'm dumb. For what it is, the composition is great and the instrumentation really sucks you into the aura... I just don't like the vocals because I'm a total fuckin dilettante.

I need a job.

Best Track: the first one yo
Rating: 7/10

aperson 06-3-2019 03:05 PM

you need to check out Earth - Full Upon Her Burning Lips bud

rayword45 06-5-2019 09:52 PM

Day 580: Próchno by Próchno

Tomorrow morning begins my first ever solo backpacking vacation to NYC and I don't feel like writing anything except that I dislike the rare vocals.

Best Track: Kamienie

rayword45 06-6-2019 11:14 AM

Day 581: Cuz I Love You by Lizzo

I saw Lizzo (not bold then bold immediately after, how fun) back when Boston Calling was at city hall in 2015. Granted, I was quite far away because I was maintaining my front row spot at the other stage, and I remember remarkably little of this performance.

This album is making me regret not paying more attention. It's not flawless, some touches seem out of place on their tracks, particularly features (what the fuck is Gucci doing on this album lol and the Missy Elliott track is probably the worst on the album regardless of whether or not that's her fault), but this is a DAMN good album. Reminds me of 70s soul mixed with modern hip-hop/neo-soul trends and some of the most incredibly bombastic production I've ever heard, molded down into pop perfection, and DAMN can she sing. Yeah, some tracks I could give or take (that single aforementioned track and Soulmate come to mind) but this is mostly hits.

Wait, the Missy Elliott track was a single? The fuck?

Good way to start my solo NYC backpacking trip. I hope just the right amount of crazy happens because this got me in a better mood. Too bad whatever album I choose next won't have quite the same effect.

Best Track: Jerome or Cuz I Love You
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 06-6-2019 12:01 PM

Day 582: The Beast You Are by Big Business

Saw em in 2017. Still love Here Comes The Waterworks and enjoy the debut, but haven't really checked much beyond. This album is basically tell me that was the right decision. This isn't bad, it's just perfectly average and feels more like traditional heavy metal, maybe with some sludge influences, than the murk and grind I'm used to from this band.

Disappointing. I'd still see em again though.

Best Track: Under Everest just for being different
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 06-10-2019 06:48 PM

Day 583: Flamagra by Flying Lotus

Sounds about as half-baked as the man from the copypasta would make.

Best Track: Black Balloons Reprise
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 06-14-2019 09:15 PM

Day 584: Guns by Quelle Chris

This one's been getting a lot of hype. I haven't really delved into conscious hip-hop much recently, but it very much was my gateway into the genre back when I first started this challenge, as embarrassing as that might be to admit.

Speaking of that, check back here if you're one of the three people who reads this for a special retrospective coming some time in the next few weeks to celebrate 5 years of wasting my time filling this thread! 6 counting the first thread!

Anyways, I've bumped this like 10 times now and still have very little to say. I love the beats, and dude has some good bars, but his rather same-y delivery is... well, it's definitely intentional and it colors the album well, but it gets old. Really, this album is clearly about lyrics first, beats second, delivery third, and on the first two it absolutely delivers. I just haven't unpacked it enough yet. Will revisit before the end of the year (how many times have I said "will revisit"?)

Best Track: Straight Shot

rayword45 06-15-2019 06:03 AM

Day 585: Dedicated by Carly Rae Jepsen

I really, really, really, really, really, really like I Really Like You. But besides that, this is yet another basic hipster bro touchstone I've mostly avoided for reasons I'm not even sure of. When that one wonder hit came out back in middle school, I hated it. I remember pre-EMOTION (I refuse to format that title correctly) her tickets were at $25, then the hipster reappraisal happened and now they're back at half of 2011 prices (which is close to $100 average). I listened to that 2015 album when it came out and ultimately felt I didn't get it (besides the song about liking you) and never revisited it. Back then I didn't feel I was gonna relisten and didn't feel a quality enough review, oh how the times have changes!

Anyways, to ramble on, this is well-made pop, she's good at making some absolutely infectious hooks, and almost all of this has a nice modern EDM tinge that I really like. Where the album falters is... well, maybe it's not fair to call it faltering but this album is a bit too subdued on average for my tastes. I was looking for explosions of sugar but this feels like Ms. 33-year-old-teen is trying to make a more "serious" album, so to speak? And I understand her desire to be a more "respected" art musician (some of these tracks somehow come off as... weird? Idk) but goddamnit I need more sucrose injections in these ears! Give me EDM backing tracks I can club to! Where are the twee-as-fuck lyrics? It's good, I just wish it was more bombastic and blissfully unashamed. The former isn't something I often want but fuck it I'm tired.

I wrote this whole thing sleep deprived on a plane btw. And guess what... yeah I'm gonna REVISIT this album later man fuck this

Best Track: Now That I Found You or I'll Be Your Girl
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 06-19-2019 02:43 PM

Day 586: Nothing Great About Britain by Slowthai

I'm not British and I know remarkably little about the UK rap scene. I do like grime beats, and this is pretty consistently good. Yeah I'm getting lazier.

Best Track: Doorman

rayword45 06-20-2019 12:28 AM

Day 587: Arrival by Fire! Orchestra

The majority of this review is gonna be comparing this to Exit!, which is the worst kind of review, and this is even worse because I'm ignoring Enter because I completely forget my opinion on it ayyy lmfao. But anyways, this doesn't really have the same energetic highs of that album, but it never slogs the way the back half of it did. There's more variance to things than I imagined, I found myself enjoying the long pieces and the short pieces equally, and that closer was a real surprise for this band! Almost sounded like slowcore or something but obviously still pretty far, nevertheless that was cathartic and gorgeous. The opening duo, especially the opening track though, those are also highlights, bordering on post-rock while still remaining detectably Fire!. Speaking of which, this is obviously for a different mood than She Sleeps, She Sleeps but I think I like both equally.

The only real misstep is the mid-section of Silver Trees. Other than that, this is phenomenally consistent for a 66 minute album, of a genre that I'm not much a connoisseur of to add to that (so if you disagree with my take, keep that in mind!). Good shit.

Funny addendum is that I played this the first time just through my laptop speakers and my mom kept complaining about the "horrible demonic noises" and whatnot, paraphrasing here but you get the drift.

Best Track: At Last I Am Free
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 06-26-2019 08:55 PM

Day 588: No Geography by The Chemical Brothers

Because DDR. And I listened to them quite a bit when I was, like, 12ish.

Some good tracks, but hit-or-miss and frequently marred by bad mixing with some unnecessarily abrasive sounds. Still, I have to say I enjoyed at least 60% of it so...

Best Track: the title track
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 07-4-2019 06:54 PM

Day 589: What Chaos Is Imaginary by Girlpool

Got lazy and haven't done my 5 year retrospective yet, will come soon enough though. Anyways, this album, perfectly competent and perfectly forgettable. I like the girl's vocals more than the man's and the softer songs are the better ones, but it doesn't matter. Nothing I write matters.

Best Track: All Blacked Out
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 07-8-2019 06:11 PM

Day 590: Xiexie by Celer

Usually the ambient albums I end up listening to have the field recordings more embedded into the songs rather than acting predominantly as interludes. For this album, I think it's a fair approach as it adds a sort of versatility of moods. Also not even angry how long this is.

Best Track: Rains Lit By Neon
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 07-9-2019 03:43 PM

Day 591: Leak 04-13 (Bait Ones) by Jai Paul

I still don't feel like writing anything TBH. This is decent psychedelic R&B I guess. This barely counts as a 2019 album.

Best Track: BTSTU (somehow this song reminds me of Crayon Physics)

rayword45 07-15-2019 03:53 PM

Day 592: Éponyme by The George Costanzas

It got me to giggle intermittently, moreso during the first few tracks than the rest. The Eraserhead reference was, err, nice I guess. Other than that, throw this bullshit away. Why did I even download this?

Best Track: In Heaven
Rating: 1.5/10

Chubisque 07-15-2019 04:21 PM

Cerati - Fuerza Natural (2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJiM-uYCvys

One of the best Latin American musicians, you probably have heard about him.

dashoe93 07-20-2019 07:00 PM

Lorn - DROWN THE TRAITOR WITHIN

rayword45 07-21-2019 12:47 PM

Day 593: Schlagenheim by Black Midi

Some of this is good. Some of this is a bit too goofy for my tastes. Some of this sounds like a fucking jam band. Memes.

I swear I'll do what I intended to for 5 year anniversary... soonish.

Best Track: Near DT, MI
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 07-25-2019 08:55 AM

Day 594: Lux Prima by Karen O and Danger Mouse

I don't particularly like or enjoy the Yeah Yeah Yeahs but luckily only a couple of songs here sound like that! For the most part this just sounds like a decade redux on Modern Guilt and yes I'm only saying that because of the producer. This is a better album than that though. Some missteps here and there but some good atmospheric tracks.

It ain't even 10AM yet.

Best Track: Reveries
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 07-30-2019 02:42 PM

Day 595: 7 by Lil Nas X

The BoyBoy West Coast definitely had the better meme song. Almost nothing else here sounds like Old Town Road, with dude instead taking an eclectic approach to things. Unfortunately, most of this is just weak Travis Scott knockoffs and cringy bad rap rock that vaguely sounds like Kid Cudi. Panini and Rodeo are decent, but even the latter is entirely carried by Cardi B. Also why are there two Old Town Roads what the fuck

I hope we get an album of U Was At The Club (Bottoms Up) soundalikes or else I feel BoyBoy will disappoint as much as this piece of trash.

Best Track: Rodeo
Rating: 3/10