Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 11-26-2018 03:44 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 483: Tell Me How You Really Feel by Courtney Barnett

Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit was an album I loved immediately after hearing it, and it ranked as one of my favorite albums of 2015 at the time. Now? Well, it has some great songs on it for sure but the mood of the album is a bit... odd, like the album feels too smirky for its own good. I still enjoy it, mind you, but it's not the revelation I originally found it to be and I never bothered listening to her collab with Kurt Vile.

This album, while still having some of that same irony that basically defines Barnett's songwriting, comes across as a lot more somber and genuine, at least at first. This leads to arguably three of her greatest tracks ever at the opening of the album, with Hopefulessness standing out as particularly beautiful.

Sadly, after that first 3 track run the album never quite picks up the same steam it had, and worse songwriting makes the preciousness of the lyrics all too apparent. I used to like her raucous cuts the best, but the only track here that utilizes that mood (I'm Not Your Mother, I'm Not Your Bitch) is grating and easily the worst track on the album, the other tracks ranging from meh-to-good. The closer is nice, if not quite as good as the first few songs.

I may not be fawning over this album and it does have some flaws, but over it's still a worthwhile listen if on the strength of its opening alone and I still look forward to her future efforts.

Best Track: I already said it
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 11-29-2018 03:39 AM

Day 484: Remnant by Lorn (Album Choice: dashoe93)

This is definitely one of the better albums I've reviewed this year. The dark ambience tracks are mostly hit-or-miss ([b]I Am A Dagger works as an intro I guess, but it's still boring to be frank), but when the beats come in this album oscillates between utterly infectious and Clark-level moving. It's not a stylistically coherent album and often I can't tell whether dude is tryna be creepy or catchy,

Or maybe that's just my study brain talking, but then I've listened to this thing like 4 times now within the past 2 days and each listen is still great. I will revisit this at least once before year's end I promise.

Also I wanna tripsit my friends to this album, and that's always a good thing.

Best Track: ill edit this tmr
Rating: 8.5/10

dashoe93 11-29-2018 08:38 AM

Hell yeah. Glad you liked it. I love Lorn's stuff. Feel free to check out his other albums whenever you have time if you haven't already. So many good tracks.

DeciBel1231 11-29-2018 02:53 PM

Machine Girl - The Ugly Art

rayword45 12-4-2018 01:12 AM

Day 485: Some Rap Songs by Earl Sweatshirt

Awful title, he should've went with I Went Outside, I Still Don't Like Shit. Also not fond of the album cover. Also not fond of the fact that this dude went ghost for three and a half year just to drop under 25 minutes of music.

And all that being said, this is still on par with Veteran for my favorite hip-hop release of the year, definitely an improvement over his past work IMO and you know how hard I stan this ugly-ass dude. There's enough thunkpieces out there about this one, I recommend you read none of them and just listen to the damn album.

Best Track: Red Water
Rating: 9/10

Deadlyx39 12-5-2018 04:57 PM

If you’re interested in Live Albums, you might like ‘Live’ Bullet by Bob Seger or Frampton Comes Alive! by Peter Frampton.

rayword45 12-7-2018 02:30 PM

Day 486: You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters (Album Choice: NinjaSM and PixlSM)

This is, as of right now, supposedly the best album of 2018 by consensus. Internet basement music nerd consensus, at least.

The first half honestly somehow just sounded like they were trying to ape a more energetic Swans or something, maybe a bit of Birthday Party in there. The second half of the album is much more interesting and raucous.

I have nothing else to say. It's not bad but the first half is preventing this from ranking on my year end list.

Best Track: The Reason They Hate Me
Rating: 6/10

PixlSM 12-8-2018 04:01 PM

I guess when you listened to that Daughters album you could say that you didnt get what you wanted

dashoe93 12-8-2018 04:43 PM

I'm just digging through random artists to see if they came out with something new this year so gloss these if you don't want to listen to them. They're in order from stuff I'd probably check out myself to stuff I care less about.

the world within - josh pan
Sinner's Syndrome - Moderator
Pandemonium - Slugabed
Weed Garden - Iron & Wine
Loma - Throwing Snow
Hill Climber - Vulfpeck
I can feel you creep into my private life - Tune-Yards

I don't know if anniversary editions count lmao but here's one
Parc Aventue 10th Anniversary Edition - Plants and Animals

PixlSM 12-9-2018 12:27 AM

just gonna recc some albums I dont see rated on your rym

Cornelius - Fantasma [Shibuya-kei]
The Veldt - Afrodisiac [Proto-shoegaze/Soul]
The Holydrug Couple - Moonlust [Psych-pop/Dream-pop]
Cap'n Jazz - Analphabetapolothology [Midwest emo]
The Dismemberment Plan - Change [Math rock/Indie Rock]
Starflyer 59 - The Fashion Focus [Shoegaze]
Disco Inferno - D.I. Go Pop [Post-rock/post-punk/sound collage/plunderphonics/noise pop]

rayword45 12-9-2018 01:31 PM

Day 487: The Ugly Art by Machine Girl (Album Choice: DeciBel1231)

These songs frequently hit the border between dope af and lame af. I hate to use such a tired term, but A Song Called Clive Barker has brief spurts of "HELL YEAH!" followed by just... cringe shit. Congratulations is a bit better at mixing the kitsch into the heavy energy, that's a better, if still flawed, track. On the other hand, songs like This Is Your Face On Dogs, Psycho Signal Jammer and Fuck Your Guns are fun bursts of pure energy, marred only by the shitty lo-fi production. The last track is also pretty great but had no reason to be over 10 minutes.

Compared to the last album I tried by this band, their 2017 release which I didn't review because it shit the bed with boring bullshit after a great opening track (which, IMO, beats every track on this album), I'm finding that a lot of the tracks I like are what I assume are meant to be instrumental transitions. Loop Version is gloriously Fuck Buttonsy, NWOFKA Skullboy is some fun tech house and Where Were You... Well, it's not great because the vocal samples are kinda stupid but it's an interesting piece of ambient that I can't see making anyone wince.

Outside of those, it's hit-or-miss, albeit a lot more engaging than that 2017 release. Maybe I like this one better because it doesn't have such a contrast between highs and lows, I dunno whatever.

Best Track: Loop Version
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 12-9-2018 02:27 PM

Day 488: Love In The Time of Lexapro by Oneohtrix Point Never

I wasn't sure if I was gonna even try this one, but it just so turns out that I have exactly 20 minutes to spare so I'll give it at least one go around... and probably end up spinning it a couple more times ah well whatever.

The first minute or two of the album is the best part overall, but the back half is much more enjoyable to me than the first, which is surprising consider I'd usually hate a purely acoustic Sufjan-y jam (well a remix of that jam, but its changes are rather subtle lol) on an electronic album. But that's fine because there's not much filler or otherwise shitty shit to be found here, it's all pretty good.

This a pretty good EP.

Best Track: Thank God I'm A Country Girl (I wonder if this will be a controversial pick, it's the shortest song on the album and doesn't morph much, it just stays its skittery self)
Rating: 8/10

Crazyjayde 12-9-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4661453)
has brief spurts of "HELL YEAH!" followed by just... cringe shit.

You mean brief spurts of Death Grips followed by Mindless Self Indulgence?

Anyway since you look like you're going down the 2018 charts you should probably skip down to Mid-Air Thief, I swear it's worth your time and will probably lift your spirits up.

PixlSM 12-9-2018 07:38 PM

the midair thief album is just watered down sweet trip

still decent though

rayword45 12-10-2018 11:31 AM

Day 489: Selva oscura by William Basinski and Lawrence English (Album Choice: PixlSM)

Selva oscura wavers more throughout its duration than Mono no aware, and the former generally feels a bit more sinister, not that the first didn't have some darker sections.

I really dunno what else to say this time. I even checked reviews on other websites, something I OBVIOUSLY never do, and they're all a bunch of pretentious pseudo-intellectual babble! The words "dreamy" and "ethereal" were used a bunch but that applies to almost all of Basinski's music. As of this time, this one is decent but certainly not my favorite of Basinski's.

Best Track: Mono no aware
Rating: 6.5/10

Crazyjayde 12-10-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixlSM (Post 4661517)
the midair thief album is just watered down sweet trip

Sounds like you found out about Sweet Trip only recently. Apart from dream pop there's hardly a case there. Start comparing it to say Shugo Tokumaru, then your opinion might hold its own.

dashoe93 12-10-2018 04:41 PM

Oh my brother's band is on Spotify. Feel free.

The Last Temptation - Devil's Advocate

PixlSM 12-10-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyjayde (Post 4661628)
Sounds like you found out about Sweet Trip only recently. Apart from dream pop there's hardly a case there. Start comparing it to say Shugo Tokumaru, then your opinion might hold its own.

I've known about sweet trip for a while
I think the comparison in aesthetic and general mix of dreampop with more electronic genres is sound

Crazyjayde 12-10-2018 05:37 PM

Alright, just making sure you realize it's a hella broad comparison, cause uh psych has kind of been a thing for a while in east asia.

rayword45 12-11-2018 07:38 PM

Day 490: Room 25 by Noname

This is, like, the opposite of every other hip-hop release I've reviewed this year, the closest being Some Rap Songs. But where Earl's release was depressed and lo-fi, this is significantly more lush and optimistic. And female.

I dunno how to review this in the context of a hip-hop album, but as a chillout album it's pretty damn great, and breezes by quickly enough, moving through pop, funk, The Internet-esque R&B and even a little bossa nova. Okay, the bossa nova track is the worst one here. The lyrical delivery is similarly understated but never boring, and her flows fit the beats very well.

Nothing else to say. Again, FUCK COLLEGE.

Best Track: Part Of Me (at first I thought Kendrick was on this track lol)
Rating: 8/10