Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

Deadlyx39 07-16-2018 06:46 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo man im awesome (Post 4627623)
I don't think you've done part 1 yet, but BTBAM's Automata II drops this Friday, maybe do a review for them both when it comes out?

2nd this

Moria 07-24-2018 04:55 AM

justin timberlake - man of the woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA-N...lDqnWsDCFkeZZf

you don't have to review it or anything, i just wanted to post an album i like sometimes
cuz imo musics for feeling not thinking, the more attentively you listen the less you hear, focus on one aspect and the other aspects pass you by. just take off your thinking cap and try to enjoy, it's ok if you dont

URL 08-1-2018 05:02 PM

You've probably reviewed this already but what about Aphex Twin - Drukqs?
Otherwise, try Sevish - Harmony Hacker.

Shikari 08-3-2018 12:10 AM

try Sleep - The Sciences or Somali Yacht Club - The Sea, if you're into Stoner shit

PixlSM 08-3-2018 06:35 PM

Gastr Del Sol - Camoufleur [Post Rock/Chamber Folk]
Storm and Stress - Under Thunder and Fluorescent Lights [Math Rock/Free Improvisation]
Yume Bitsu - Yume Bitsu [Space Rock/Ambient/Drone]

rayword45 08-3-2018 09:25 PM

Day 466: Streams of Thought Vol 1 by Black Thought

I listened to thus like 10 times now and have nothing to say. It's goood so good rating

I'll do requests next tmr or some other day fugck this

Rating 7/10

rayword45 08-6-2018 12:34 PM

Day 467: Automata II by Between The Buried And Me (Album Choice: yo man im awesome & Deadlyx39)

Well, I said I'd review at least one request... wait I didn't specify any number lol. But yeah, let's do this. Glad for the double request. Despite not having listened to a single album of theirs, I've seen this band live before, back during senior year of high school, but they didn't play White Walls which made me sad, and disappointed the rest of the crowd too. Enslaved put on the better show, not to diss this band's live performance. They were second best.

Also, I'm not doing a side-by-side review with Automata I because I don't feel like it. I'll review that album at some point. Maybe.

This shit is generally a LOT less heavy and a LOT more avant-garde than what I heard at the show. Glide reminds me a whole fuckin lot of Mr. Bungle except proggier and that's a good thing (although Mike Patton seems like a douchenozzle) besides the proggier part. And Voice Of Transpass sounds like that circus metal band as well! You can tell I'm trying to not have to bold for my self-diagnosed not OCD. I need to go to an ADD doctor. And a free STD testing place.

The genre shifts are, naturally, a mixed bag. The growling parts and more somber ending of The Proverbial Bellow were fucking fantastic, but what the fuck was that country twang bullshit? The aforementioned Voice is much better at the genre blender, seamlessly combining faux-church music, surf rock, and prog whatever. Hey, did y'all ever know that a kid from my high school and college was a contestant on the show The Voice? And he has the same first name as me? Well, now you know even if you didn't care.

I don't know if I'd enjoy seeing this incarnation of the band li- ah who am I kidding this would be interesting as fuck. Good album.

Best Track: The Grid (I deliberately didn't talk at all about this track for the writing dissonance hahaha fuck you)
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 08-6-2018 12:40 PM

Also I have drukqs at a 5/10 rn and The Sciences at a 9/10

Zibang 08-7-2018 05:25 PM

God damnit, I always forget to listen to the new BTBAM albums. I still haven't heard either of the Automatas lolz, and they're supposed to be one of my favorite prog metal bands

rayword45 08-8-2018 03:46 PM

Day 468: Astroworld by Travis Scott (Album Choice: Like a million IRL people)

I don't understand
Why so many damn people
Are hyping this shit

Well, so many damn people I interact with in real life. The internet music geeks I know find this album to be boring and borderline narcolepsy inducing. A very large portion of my friends are calling this the best album of 2018 already.

The hype shouts in Carousel are cringe-inducingly bad. IT'S LIT! ...Oh god that single adlib continues throughout the whole album what the fuck? Luckily I like the song otherwise.

There are some fantastic tracks in here, some serious bangers, some surprisingly enjoyabke slower songs, and then the failed experiments (what the fuck is Yosemite? And the Cudi humming was a waste of money dude) and a whole lot of filler bullshit, particularly towards the back half (special shoutout to Who? What? for somehow seeming extra inspired. This should've been half as long.

To end on a positive note, that is the most I've ever enjoyed The Weeknd

Best Track: Stargazing (why the caps, dude?)
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 08-22-2018 12:26 PM

Day 469: TA13OO by Denzel Curry

This dude flaked on the Playboi Carti concert.

Or rather, Carti flaked on his original date and by the time the rescheduled date came this dude was already on his own tour.

His presence was sorely missed, and this album confirms that further. The only song I have a legitimate complaint about is the tedious, annoyingly XXX-reminiscent Clout Cobain, the rest of this album is a blast and makes me wanna dance, while the features and the various, thankfully brief genre switches keep everything interesting while inspiring life in me.

Don't feel like writing more. Will I get another album finished today? Click here to find out

Best Track: Sirens or Vengeance (fuck these goddamn caps and leetspeak titles)
Rating: 8/10

MixMasterLar 08-24-2018 01:58 AM

I have a lot of this thread to catch up on

EDIT: without checking thread I want to say that the new Gorillaz album, The Now Now, is pimp and worth your time if you haven't already.

Also 13th Elevator Floor for the old school psychedelic rock

rayword45 08-31-2018 12:17 PM

Day 470: Tangerine Reef by Animal Collective

I listened to this once.

Then I listened to it 3 times more to see if I missed the interesting parts.

That alone gives it more replay value than Painting With.

Ah I miss the nerdy high school dawait what the fuck am I saying no I fucking don't

Best Track: This isn't one long song?

PixlSM 09-16-2018 06:21 PM

have you listened to the new Ovlov album yet

rayword45 09-20-2018 12:13 PM

Day 471: Collapse EP by Aphex Twin

Now THIS I can get behind, and I'm gonna replay this a lot more than Syro and most of the subsequent shit (still haven't listened to that Soundcloud shit in full, likely never will, Ima listen to that new long-ass Autechre before). Favorite release since the one with Girl/Boy Song. Admittedly, the first song shits on the other four (I'm ignoring the bonus track here) but all of them get you grooving with complex drum patterns and really low bass, and there's far less boring moments than other recent releases thanks to the succinct running time.

Also they totally should've aired that music video on [adult swim].

Best Track: T69 Collapse
Rating: 8/10

aperson 09-20-2018 12:53 PM

should check out these for the state of 2018 micro techno:

frank bretschneider - lunik
alva noto - unieqav

rayword45 09-23-2018 05:54 PM

Day 472: Iridescence by Brockhampton (Album Choice: the usual)

Time is a fickle thing and you best realize how the hype train moves before you fuck yourselves over.

That's definitely not what happened to BROCKHAMPTON, based on their YouTube views, but this is the longest hiatus we've had between albums and on a personal level, I've found my hype for this band has lulled into a tepid excitement with a remaining strong desire to see them live, rather than the straight Stanning I was going through last year. This album also sees the biggest shake-up yet with the booting of Ameer Vann, but he was never my favorite member so I'm not too worried about that negatively affecting the band's sound, if anything I hope it instead forces them to innovate more.

On a whole level, this album has basically the exact same kinda format as the Saturations with the placement of singles, more experimental tracks and short bits, although I am HIGHLY impressed by the fact that they decided not to include any of the 1990s titled singles on here. In fact, the only things that I think stop this from being Saturation IV are the lack of Spanish-language skits and the last track not being a Bearface track. Sound-wise, this feels like a natural evolution of where the band was heading from the sounds of their third album, with a whole lotta aggressively clipped beats mixed with mellower, pitch-shifted croony bits. Unlike last time, however, the aggressive bits are EASILY the highlight of this album, and there aren't any real tearjerkers like Bleach to be found (I think that's what they were trying for with Weight but I'm more impressed by the IDM-esque amen breaks at the end of that song than any emotional content).

Well, not much else to say, but I really don't think they suffered all that much from the loss of Ameer. What they did suffer from is sophomore fatigue, even though this would be more like senior fatigue. It's still a very consistent album, with only a few filler clunkers (oh man San Marcos is so fucking bad), but it doesn't give me reason to go all super hype like 2017. It is something I will re-listen to, though, and sometimes that's good enough.

Best Track: New Orleans or J'Ouvert
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 09-23-2018 07:25 PM

Day 473: 7 by Beach House (Album Choice: PixlSM)

Very synthy.
Very dreamy.
Very breathy.
Very same-y.
Very boring-y.

Well, there isn't really a BAD track in this collection so to speak, but this shit really is way too much of the same thing for my liking. The slower and dreamier the song, the better, but they're all of nearly equal quality. I'm usually a sucker for this atmosphere but it just ain't cutting it today.

This album doesn't deserve a better review.

Best Track: Dive

PixlSM 09-24-2018 10:52 AM

):