Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rushyrulz 12-14-2017 02:51 AM

Re: Recommend me some 2017 albums halp

Pentakill - Grasp of the Undying

Arcsynth 12-15-2017 11:35 AM

Kara-Lis Coverdale - Grafts

doooooo et

rayword45 12-15-2017 02:00 PM

Day 420: SATURATION III by BROCKHAMPTON (Album Choice: Jeremy C.)

This album proves it, JOBA is this band's secret weapon. He basically makes HOTTIE, ALASKA and BOOGIE with his versatility. Not enough Merlyn though.

Stylistically, this is much closer to the second album in that it feels cohesive mood-wise rather than somewhat unfocused. This one feels much more modern with a heavier electronic side as opposed to the jazz of the second album or R&B of the first. The voice modulator is still here and still sucks most of the time, with the exception of the phenomenal BLEACH.

You guys should realize by now I'm a total Stan for these guys... gross I referenced that terrible rapper. Anyways, better than the first, worse than the second. Just like the Rick & Morty seasons! ...kill me.

Best Track: BOOGIE or BLEACH (an album consisting of 50 minutes of these would be damn close to a 10)
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 12-17-2017 02:46 AM

Day 421: Contact by Pharmakon (Album Choice: JessiEye)

I almost saw this... act live last year but got drunk in my dorm instead. Ah well. Let's see how this works for the study because finals are killing me holy god it's 3AM why do I always do this

This is mostly what I expected. Clipped shrieks, atmospheric, abrasive synths and booming drum patterns forming to create something out of a horror movie with only a few exceptions on here, and those are mostly uninteresting (like what is Sentient even supposed to be? A THX sound?). Not terrible for the study, if a bit agitating at times. The first and last track are easily the best here, but the others in the same style are enjoyable too. Not an everyday listener either, but good for 3AM self-hate and well-crafted. Not gonna make my top 10 for the year but I have no regrets.

Side note: Something about Sleepwalking Form sounds VERY much like a psychedelic trip.

Extra side note: I am unnecessarily glad that SATURATION III was the 420 album.

Best Track: No Natural Order
Rating: 7/10

MarioNintendo 12-17-2017 11:30 AM

Has someone recommended Sleep at the Edge of the Earth by Wilderun already?
Also, what is "piano shit" in your google docs sheet? I don't remember recommending that :P

Crazyjayde 12-17-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcsynth (Post 4601742)
Kara-Lis Coverdale - Grafts

Her show was great, glad to know she made something this year!

And it's funny how this thread has slowly become the one thing I like to check up on on my occasionnal visits. Grats on the log, I've picked on some good stuff through it.

Have some recs boo :

Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto - Insen (in preparation for next year's release!)
James Holden - The Animal Spirits
Magnolia Electric Co. - S/T (also known to be released under Songs: Ohia)
Richard Dawson - Peasant
Steve Roden - Stars of Ice
Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life
Supersilent - 6
Zimpel/Ziolek - S/T

Arcsynth 12-17-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyjayde (Post 4602228)
Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto - Insen (in preparation for next year's release!)
James Holden - The Animal Spirits
Magnolia Electric Co. - S/T (also known to be released under Songs: Ohia)
Richard Dawson - Peasant
Steve Roden - Stars of Ice
Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life
Supersilent - 6
Zimpel/Ziolek - S/T

thank you for these recs! i've heard and really like Insen, Animal Spirits and 6 (maybe magnolia electric co too?), so if that means anything the rest should be up my alley

couple more from 2017:

Sarah Davachi - All My Circles Run
Andrea Belfi - Ore

rayword45 12-19-2017 08:08 PM

Day 422: Meeting Of The Forest by Animal Collective

My history with Animal Collective is as follows.

1. Discover Sung Tongs in 9th grade, hate it and dismiss them (I should've stopped here?)
2. Keep trying for some reason, and I don't know what
3. I'm a fan as of mid-10th grade, Strawberry Jam is a 5-star album right now. Keep in mind this was after Centipede Hz had been released.
4. Burn out from listening to them way too damn much, and also realizing that a good fuckin chunk of their songs have next-to-zero replay value
5. Painting With comes out and why should I care about these guys? Their love songs are still jams though (especially Bluish and The Purple Bottle) and they have a few decent things here and there.

Hence why I'm listening to this so damn late. This is the first release they've done without Panda Bear who I've now long thought of as the most talented member of the group by a wide margin, let's see how they hang without him or Deakin but really... who cares about Deakin? Who still cares about this band? (hehheh I'm in college hehheh)

Damn this took forever to get started. Reminds me kinda of Mount Eerie in that folk album-y way, only that was a much better album thus far, and that pales in comparison to A Crow Looked At Me. The first real song, a meandering acoustic affair, was pretty after a long ambient intro, but eventually turned really boring, like the shitty drone parts of Sung Tongs or the waste of time that is Campfire Songs. The second track incorporates some electronics at first, and then turns into the exact same thing. This was voted best release of theirs in 8 years over Centipede Hz (which at least had a few catchy pop tunes)? What the fuck? Is it because of how it was recorded?

Best Track: Anaconda Opportunity
Rating: 5/10

PixlSM 12-20-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4602485)
anco stuff

Really? Panda bear most talented over Avey? Have you listened to Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished yet? Its pretty much entirely Avey there (panda technically did the drumming but avey just told panda what to do for it)

rayword45 12-20-2017 01:12 PM

^I have, and I've listened to most other AnCo stuff for the record (binged HARD back in 2013/2014). I only like tracks 2-5 on Spirit, and even those suffer from having THE WORST PRODUCTION I'VE EVER HEARD ON AN ALBUM.

PixlSM 12-20-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4602572)
THE WORST PRODUCTION I'VE EVER HEARD ON AN ALBUM.

I see a lot of people say this but I actually kinda like the production on the album honestly. The really quiet vocals are a disappointment but other than that I like it. Also how can you not like Alvin Row? It’s probably be best thing they’ve ever written

rayword45 12-21-2017 11:27 AM

Day 423: All My Circles Run by Sarah Davachi (Album Choice: Arcsynth)

When I first put this album on I assumed I was in for a real boring snoozefest consisting of textural amelodic nothings for 40 minutes. Luckily, I was right about the textural nothings but nothing else, as the first track is an outlier in its near total lack of melody. The other tracks are nowhere near as repetitious (though make no mistake, this album is way more about atmosphere than movement). It's a very spare album, but one that sounds pretty and natural, and I need more ambient that loops real instruments instead of synths.

Best ambient release I've heard from this year, but then again I forget what came out this year besides the new Basinski and Gas. My sister might have seen Gas live by pure chance... I wonder.

Best Track: Chanter

Crazyjayde 12-21-2017 03:29 PM

Hey no worries Arcsynth, it was actually meant as suggestions for the thread but I'm glad to take yours home too.

Arcsynth 12-22-2017 11:39 AM

ahh fair enough! yeah i'm taking a lot of the recs in this thread myself; pretty happy with the variety offered here so far

rayword45 12-23-2017 02:09 PM

Day 424: SATURATION DRAFTS by BROCKHAMPTON

I'm using whatever bullshit titles I found on Genius, many of which have now been removed. The demo tracks for songs on the albums proper are mostly only interesting for archival and comparison purposes, not to mention they seem woefully underproduced (as they should). Let's just ignore talking about those and pretend they aren't on this album.

This is, by default pretty much, the most eclectic of all the BH releases, and it's also the most flawed. As I said earlier, mixing is as terrible as you'd expect. In addition to that, a load of songs just go on way too long, like SMOKE and LAMB, and some just plain suck, like the wholly unnecessary 4-26-17 Guitar Loop (no caps?) or the boring failed single FOLLOW. This is far more inconsistent than all of their albums barring All-American Trash and kinda evidences exactly why their recording process worked out so well. Am I supposed to be judging this like a regular album? No? Well fuck you!

Onto the good. GEMINI is fucking beautiful. LUCA is better than at least half the tracks on the first album in the trilogy even if the ending drags a bit. FEEL (track 8) is fucking phenomenal and makes me even more pumped for a potential solo release from JOBA. And as expected, there's a fair amount of bangers here, like DRINK and Don't Worry About Me (tracks 13 and 18, definitely fake titles).

I don't know how to properly articulate thoughts. If you've checked these guys out you know whether or not this interests you.

Best Track: FEEL
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 12-23-2017 04:48 PM

Day 425: Zimpel/Ziołek by Zimpel/Ziołek (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

I have no idea what I'm getting into with this album, Google Play Music didn't even find album art. Based on song titles and lengths alone I'm expecting some jammy folk and jazz shit.

And I was right. I remember last year I reviewed that Goat album which was a major disappointment... Did that sound similar to this? I forget what that album sounded like, I think I just blocked it from my memory because it didn't have David Yow anywhere to be found in it. Compared to how I liked that one though, this one is much more enjoyable. A pretty spacey vibe a lot of the time, a more folksy vibe at others, and consistently engaging throughout. I especially like the breathier jazz parts of Memory Dome and Fourth Molar as well as the electronics in the latter. I also like how none of the tracks seem unjustified in their length, likely aided by the short length of the album. The only immediate change I'd personally make is removing any sung lyrics.

Maybe, just maybe, my top 10 for the year won't just be hip-hop and electronic shit. Maybe.

Best Track: Memory Dome

rayword45 12-24-2017 11:59 AM

Day 426: Dust by Laurel Halo

Koinos is the first song I'm not actively disliking. The first two were just annoying as fuck, the instrumentals were nice but the vocal delivery just shot me out of it. She sounds like she belongs in a punk band more than whatever she's doing here. This third one isn't perfect but I'm at least loving the really freeflowingness (not a word) of it compared to the others so far.

Actually it seems so far that the whole rest of this album is unlike those first two tracks. This is a weird, spare atmospheric space ambient album with bits of spoken word and atonal free jazz shit sprinkled throughout. Reminds me a lot of that Tom Dissevelt album. I really dig this style of shit!

But goddamn were those first two tracks terrible. Really scared the shit out of me. Starting with Syzygy she seems to be attempting to go back to the "poppier" style of the first couple songs again, but not quite as overtly and it's not quite as annoying this time around. Do U Ever Happen ALMOST sounds nice. Almost. Why the fuck is it 40 years long?

Very pretty ending, in fact probably my favorite track on the album. Well, that was a bit of a mixed bag. When it was good it was entrancing, and when it was bad it was agitating. I'm gonna delete half of this album.

Best Track: Buh-bye
Rating: 5.5/10

PixlSM 12-24-2017 04:29 PM

You still want some 2017 albums right?
Here’s some stuff I didn’t see on your rym:
Ride - Weather Diaries (pretend shoegaze)
Ryuichi Sakamoto - async (ambient)
Oliver Houston - Whatever Works (math rock)
The Necks - Unfold (jazz)

rayword45 12-25-2017 07:19 PM

Day 427: Lil Pump by Lil Pump (Album Choice: Fuck Y.)

This is my Christmas gift to you people. Do you like it? DO YOU, MOTHERFUCKER? I'm putting my blood, sweat and ears in this shit, seriously. On Christmas Day, nevertheless. Because I couldn't be bothered to talk to people and the only other thing I have planned for today is beginning my rewatch of The Wire. I'll let y'all know how that goes, it's been like 5 or 6 years.

Y'know, this stuff actually doesn't start that offensive. Gucci Gang, the second track and the one you all know, is a talentless song for sure, but cultural context makes it fun and danceable, and also a bit hilarious. The first song sounds pretty much the exact same, but without the context it just goes in one ear and out the other.

Then we have the third track, Smoke My Dope. My fucking GOD, what is this production? Is this guy trying to be a meme? Did the lean and xan give him tinnitus or something? The clipping here is fucking atrocious, and the synthline is just... weird and grating. People unironically enjoy this? That's not me trying to be snarky, that's me legitimately wondering "what the fuck is this bullshit" in the most monotone voice possible.

Oh... my god... Track 4 is like the last one. Can we go back to the earlier style, please? Please? Who the hell wants to listen to a mixtape full of this cheapo GarageBand nonsense? There HAVE to be more tracks that don't use this awful style on the tape.

And there are, but they're interspersed between the ones that aren't terribly clipped. They still sound cheap as shit, mind you, but they aren't painful. Unfortunately, they still suck as songs, even if a couple are enjoyable dumb fun (At The Door got me laughing again after grimacing for too long). Also, what's with this dude and crappy freesound.org gun sound effects? Any song with a feature, you're guaranteed they're gonna leave no mark on you other than the fact that they all destroy the shit outta Pump who sounds like a mumblecore parody rapper on GHB. The repetitive nature of this album would be a lot less unfortunate if this guy could write a good song, which he can't, and if his producer stopped smoking the crack. As it is, this 36 minutes feels like 80, and eventually you stop laughing at the fact that he's proving nothing when he's bragging about brands loads of broke motherfuckers cop to flex.

But hey, maybe it doesn't matter when you're just a walking Xanax meme.

Best Track: Gucci Gang, no contest
Rating: 1.5/10 (The only reason it's not lower is because it's intermittently listenable. Not enjoyable, just not painful enough to be unlistenable.)