Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

L.B.D.D 08-29-2017 01:10 PM

Re: 365 Reviews Done

damn you're still going with this
proud of you

rayword45 08-31-2017 09:12 PM

Day 406: Playboi Carti by Playboi Carti

The hook to Flex injects some much needed melody in this somewhat tedious album. Very repetitive and a bit too low-key for my tastes. Magnolia is still a banger though.

Best Track: Flex objectively but Magnolia in any social situation be it a party, wedding, funeral, baby shower or anything else
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 09-19-2017 11:43 AM

Day 407: Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown

Uh... So I actually listened to this like a year ago but forgot to ever review it and then reviewed something else.

Then the Ain't It Funny video came out and I listened to it again and forgot to write a review again.

So anyways, here's that long-overdue review since I recently revisited it... What the fuck? This album is old now. I don't need to write anything you can read another fuckin review, nothing I could possibly say on an album this well-covered would be unique, and yeah that applies to a lot of albums I review but fuck you I'm lazy.

Best Track: Really Doe or Ain't It Funny or Dance In The Water
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 10-5-2017 05:54 PM

Day 408: Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples

So... Is 2017 the year of Odd Future members working past their cringy edgelord mannerisms and improving all around? If that's the case, I can't WAIT for the new Earl Sweatshirt release. As for this, well I heard it was good. I don't think ANYBODY ever cared about Vince before this one dropped, so let's see what the hype is about.

Lyrically, this is really thin. Like, really thin. I cannot remember a single worthwhile line and I was reading through Genius, the closest thing being Party People. Maybe I'm just not the target audience for his prose. The flow and delivery is also done in such a way to not evoke interest, really lazy and mumbled delivery that gets pretty repetitive. Whenever a guest hook appears it's a much-needed breath of fresh air.

But to spoil things early, this isn't gonna be a negative review. While the "rap" aspect of this album is subpar, the beats are phenomenal. I'm a raver so I like deep bass, danceability and garage-y sounds, and this has all 3! And it doesn't get too samey in this realm, thank GOD. Love Can Be... and Crabs In A Bucket feel like they belong on Warp Records with their groovy, almost acidic beats, whereas tracks like Yeah Right and Homage play out like bangers at a party where the bass boost is cranked.

I wish Staples' delivery was more engaging and his lyrical content doesn't justify his monotonic flow the way it does people like Earl, but the beats are probably what matters, because as the kids say, nobody gives a fuck about lyrics, right?

No, wrong, but whatever. Good album. A grower probably. Who's next from the OFWGKTA clan to escape suckitude? I place my bets on Taco.

Best Track: Love Can Be...
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 10-12-2017 12:17 PM

Day 409: Ego Death by The Internet (Album Choice: BonafideSupastar and)

For a long time, I've said I only care about Earl Sweatshirt and Frank Ocean out of the whole Odd Future clique. This year, some artists from the group have made some great creative strides, but this album wasn't made this year. It was made in 2015, and it's fantastic. I'm an idiot. Slow, sexy, psychedelic jams and Syd has the voice of a 10/10 seductress. Very easy listen, passes by ridiculously fast, and keeps its thematic cool while still being varied enough.

I don't have anything to say in any of these reviews. Besides the listed best track, I have to highly recommend the opener, Special Affair, Curse and Something's Missing.

Best Track: Girl
Rating: 8.5/10

choof 10-17-2017 04:25 PM

take a break from hip-hop and rnb and listen to diamanda galas - the divine punishment

rayword45 10-18-2017 05:52 AM

Day 410: Luv Is Rage 2 by Lil Uzi Vert (Album Choice: I actually forget specifically who, most people told me this was ass)

Aight choof I swear I'll do yours next. But this one has been waiting far too damn long. I like XO Tour Llife because the lyrics speak to me on a base emotional level. I don't really care about this guy outside of that, but he has at least a few catchy (if overplayed) tracks like Ps and Qs. Fun enough on the dance floor I say, as long as the dance floor isn't full of boring white people. Can't see how this is gonna translate to an hour long album, though...

Dude, I'm writing this at 6AM after pulling an all-nighter writing an essay I failed to write during the majority of the day. Or the majority of the week. WHY CAN'T I FOCUS? WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY BRAIN? I'm glad I'm surviving college with a decent GPA (One whole point higher than high school! Fuck you BLS) but my body is screaming at me and I've been getting cluster headaches now and ahhh fuck.

This is rather sing-songy, which I expected. I generally prefer my trap a little more on the aggressive side, the kinda shit you can watch some jackass slam his face into a minibar to, but I'm not gonna dock for that, especially considering how many trap rappers out there completely ignore the potential virtues of melodic vocals. For Real is the first noticeable banger, and it's still kinda tame TBH. I'm not really sure I should look to this guy for hard-hitters anyways, and that's getting clearer and clearer as Neon Guts and Feelings Mutual were both significantly better songs anyways. Also I'm not reading the lyrics as the little I can decipher severely disappoints me after the literary genius of that push me to the edge song. (Did you know his dead friends is referring to the fact that all the presidents are dead, and his only friend is his money?!)

And it's after this point that I got incredibly bored by this album. Seriously, this guy is so fucking samey, there's really no need for a goddamn hour long album. I had the same problem with Lil Boat, but that had much better peaks than this shit (minus the last track, which, yes, shits all over everything on that mixtape I'm that edgy). Worse yet, minus one point for including the cheese sleaze of The Weeknd on here. I know I mentioned the potential benefits of melodic vocals, and yeah that dude can sing, but HOLY FUCKING SHIT I cannot listen to him without feeling like I'm being sexually harassed by some sweaty, moderately overweight dude in a white T-shirt that smells like smegma buildup.

It's now nearly 7AM, and I'm still not finished with this essay, 3 hours to go but I have to take a shower, brush my teeth, head to one 8AM class (I can write in there) then print this out before 10AM. I'm sure I can do all that, but damn I hate having even small responsibilities, and I'm more well-adjusted to this scenario than a fuckton of these suburban-ass pussies out here. That's not bragging, that's me crying for help. Somebody please get a bunch of city kids in here I'm dying surrounded by the whiteness. This is why I wanna improve public school districts, to help inner-city youth (yeah that term totally isn't subtly racist, but hey I'm including any city kids) and make these schools significantly more lit (okay, that was totally based in stereotype but fuck you it's true) because I'm sick of white frats throwing gross cramped parties with no dancing that end at 130AM because the cops got called by someone with a bitten ear. I wanna dance not fight.

I am never actively listening to this album in full again. 3 or 4 good songs on a fucking hour long piece of garbage, totally not worth my time.

Best Track: The one I mentioned earlier man. The last track.
Rating: 3/10

rayword45 10-25-2017 03:16 PM

Day 410: The Divine Punishment by Diamanda Galas (Album Choice: choof)

...choof I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to say about this album. I like the atmosphere it gives off, the second track is better than the first... Uh yeah.

I can't say shit about this, just, listen and make your own judgement. This gets a good rating because it compelled me enough to listen to it three times. And I recommend this to ANYONE.

Best Track: The second one

Deadlyx39 10-25-2017 08:28 PM

Still going on these? I applaud you on the effort.

rayword45 10-25-2017 09:15 PM

i log any new album i listen to here so it probably will never stop lol

rayword45 11-2-2017 12:19 PM

Day 411: Melodrama by Lorde

I listened to Pure Heroine how long ago now? That wasn't a very good album, TBH. Sorry David. I'm fond of minimalistic, spare backings but the whole album was just a snoozefest. This album seems to be more of the same, but this time around Lorde half-knows what she's doing. There's far better usage of doubletracking and harmonizing this time around, as well as a whole new energy to the recordings. It's still very minimalistic and synth-based, but the whole thing feels much fuller and Lorde's vocal performances seem a lot more confident. I still don't like Green Light but, oddly enough, the rest of the album keeps the same kinda tone and vibe while still being pretty engaging. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this album at all, but I did. Not a top 10 of 2017 or anything, but a very solid release.

Best Track: Homemade Dynamite or Perfect Places

rayword45 11-12-2017 12:01 PM

Day 412: Neo Wax Bloom by Iglooghost

This 50% makes me wanna play ITG, 50% makes me wanna hit up a rave, and 50% makes me wanna check out way more music in this genre. If it fucks up my math AND grammar that bad, it's gotta be good. With how "drop-heavy" this shit is I would've expected to get bored by the repetition, but things stay JUST fresh enough throughout the whole thing to avoid tiring you out. Wholly accessible with an in-your-face jubilant atmosphere throughout yet still incredibly rewarding, and I'm saying that because obviously more "challenging" music is more rewarding because I'm a hipster.

Definitely gotta check this shit out live. Also MORE 2017 RECOMMENDATIONS NEEDED HELP

Best Track: White Gum or Zen Champ
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 11-14-2017 01:32 PM

Day 413: Everywhere At The End Of Everything, Part 3 by The Caretaker

So this is apparently some of the best ambient of the year. I'm doing this three-part series of albums in scattered backwards order because

1. This one has the best ratings
2. Part one is from 2016
3. Fuck you

This was rather different from what I was expecting, based on my preconceptions of what constitutes "ambient" and "turntablism". This consists mostly of piano playing chopped up, swirled around and run through filters to make it sound wax cylinder lo-fi. Not the atmosphere I tend to go for when searching for either of those genres, but it's not bad!

Apparently, this is supposed to sound like dementia. I definitely read that some time ago on RYM but I had forgotten it until I was about halfway through the album. With that context in mind... the hell? If anything that just makes it seem more kitsch with all the 1910s ballroom atmosphere. This predated Bojack Horseman season 4 but that felt like a better, more tasteful portrayal of dementia than this. And you guys should KNOW I'm a sucker for context (A Crow Looked At Me is a case where the depressing backstory worked except this one isn't nearly as "What the Jesus fuck..." tragic).

As one long piece this is rather enjoyable, yet oddly enough the tracks are mostly very same-y. Different chords and everything yeah but the mood and minimalism here is oppressive, though not necessarily in a bad way. It's also now dawning on me why I should listen to this in order... Nah fuck you.

Anyways, solid enough although the horn-y (hurrhurrhurrhurr) mood gets old after a while and it's hard to pick a best track. I'll listen to the others parts eventually, maybe. This gimmick is still trash, though.

Best Track: Gradiation of Arms Length or Mournful Cameraderie
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 11-14-2017 08:10 PM

Day 414: Thin Black Duke by Oxbow

I've never listened to this band before yet I know I've heard their name several times somewhere. Probably that Steve Albini site. I don't know if this is a good one for them but it mostly just sounds like warm, somewhat Shellac-y indie/post-punk with an artsy Eddie Vedder mumbling even harder, not that this isn't significantly better than Pearl Jam. Only a couple songs deviate from their riff formula which I don't feel like outlining. I wanted more noise and atonal riffs, this doesn't stimulate me enough. Fuck midterms.

Best Track: A Gentleman's Gentleman
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 11-26-2017 09:16 PM

Day 415: New Energy by Four Tet

I've admittedly listened to this guy less than I probably should have, considering how much I've enjoyed all the shit I've checked out. Rounds is the best album, obviously, but goddamn if my favorite isn't No More Mosquitos, slow jam to end all slow jams with a groovy effing bass line and some phenomenal psychedelic acoustic in there, THAT'S some good folktronica. Besides those two albums, not much else. The most recent thing (chronologically) I've listened to is Ringer which was some pretty dope dance music but not nearly as revelatory.

While this feels more in line with that last one, at least mood-wise, it's got a little bit of all his styles I've heard minus trip hop, and probably many others I haven't checked out. The more folk-influenced tracks are the winners tonight. They're mildly hit-or-miss and don't reach the earlier peaks of stuff like Slow Jam, mainly because they feel a lot safer, but they're pretty, Lush and especially You Are Loved in particular. Most of the rest is a sort of IDM house vibe, whatever the hell that means or whatever Microhouse actually is. It's... also hit-or-miss, not quite danceable for my style and some of the tracks go on too long. I feel like I'm shitting on this album too much, bevause I really do enjoy it, but it's nowhere near his older stuff and feels a bit unchallenging. To be a bit positive, some of the more dance-esque tracks do a good job of combining build-up with beats you can move to, which makes seeing this guy live sound all the more appealing.

Either way, a very relaxing, pleasant listen, but not the most necessary of Kieran's drops. Still, I know I'm gonna be bumping this for a little while, so a high score it gets.

Best Track: You Are Loved

rayword45 12-3-2017 02:20 PM

Day 316: Who Told You to Think​?​?​!​!​?​!​?​!​?​! by Milo

Steve crying in Malden? Courage The Cowardly Dog? Eaglebones Falconhawk? Virtue signalling? Jesus Christ, this guy is one of the biggest nerds I've ever listened to! And unlike traditional "nerdcore" rappers this feels one hundred percent genuine, like he's really, truly interested in all this goofy shit.

I don't feel like writing a real review. I'm sorry. I'm hungover and this weekend was too fucking boring. I like the lyrics, I like this dude's delivery although I can see why others wouldn't (his monotone style fits the hazy beats, like it does with Earl cept this is nowhere as good/depressing) and I enjoy the hazy beats and cloudy production. It's also nice and short, by rap album standards at least.

Truthfully, I listened to this like 5 times and couldn't write anything. Clearly, I still can't.

Best Track: Landscaping

rayword45 12-9-2017 11:59 AM

Re: Recommend me some 2017 albums halp

Day 417: Ritual Spirit by Massive Attack (Album Choice: bruisedknees)

Mood based album choice and review. The rap in Dead Editors does not keep my attention and the ending is too dissonant blah. Same for all the songs. I want sexier trip hop somehow. The heavy piano shit is great. 50% good. Byebye.

Best Track: Ritual Spirit
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-13-2017 09:59 PM

Day 418: Where Are We Going by Octo Octa (Album Choice: BonafideSupastar)

This is some groovy shit. Only a hint of melody in pretty much every track in favor of robotic synthlines, slow breaks and slight samples. Would go perfectly at a rave afterparty in my humble opinion. Don't have much else to say, nobody reads these. Very easy to listen to both studying and repeatedly.

Best Track: Fleeting Moments Of Freedom (Wooo)

blindreper1179 12-13-2017 11:48 PM

Icon for Hire-You can't kill us

rayword45 12-14-2017 12:40 AM

Day 419: Come Over When You're Sober, Pt. 1 by Lil Peep (Album Choice: Hazel H.)

Mood album of sorts (based on what others tell me), as well as continuing my hunt for more 2017 music. RIP Lil Peep, I never had much respect for your music in the past but I think it deserves another shot considering the circumstances and new context and whatnot. Fuck fentanyl man. Fuck Xanax culture. It's awful. Especially in college.

Well, giving this another shot... This is still way too samey, and not in a good way. It literally sounds like I'm listening to the same song multiple times. And the lyrics aren't hitting as emotionally hard as I was expecting.. What was I expecting? I confuse myself. I was expecting more darkness about the perils of addiction, but this is mostly just... generic emo wangst lyics. Damn.

The hooks are catchy, I'lll give him points for being terse and he knows what atmosphere he's going for. Only thing is that playing this shit at a party would be megawack. And once more, fuck Fent. I hope Peep's posthumous releases show emotional improvement.

Best Track: Awful Things
Rating: 4/10