Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 12-9-2020 05:14 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

Day 793: Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon by Pop Smoke

I've known who this guy was for at least two and a half years, and it seems he only blew up really after he died because now EVERYONE is bumping.

Rest in peace, man, someone born after me dying is always sad. But also, this album is as mediocre and overlong as I was expecting.

Best Track: blah
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-11-2020 10:52 AM

Day 794: We Will Always Love You by The Avalanches

You KNOW I had to hop on this one ASAP.

This sounds distinctly like Avalanches but is definitely WAYYYYYY less sample-based than their last two albums. Is this anywhere near as good as Since I Left You? That's really not fair, this should be judged on its own merits, because that's become one of my all-time favorite albums since I've seen them live three and a half years ago and has remained as such. FUCK COVID.

But anyways, this at 72ish minutes is something I would normally call overlong, but I found myself just sinking into the vibe and letting their usual kaleidoscopic magic work itself on me, and I honestly enjoyed every second of this as an almost cohesive piece.

I bet someone else here is going to listen to this and go like "you fucking idiot this shit sucks" well FUCK YOU MAN. EAT MY ASS. This isn't something I'm gonna listen to all the time, and picking out favorite cuts will be hard, but as a singular work this is extraordinary. Also having Denzel Curry feature is mad random but I'm not complaining at all. MGMT is a less bizarre feature, and I priorly only liked one song by these guys but now I like two! This writing has no structure. I am barely awake. All I know is this shit had the exact same effect on me as Loops of Infinity (A Rave Loveletter) but even stronger. Maybe my love of stuff like this, combined with these asinine ramblings, is indicative of my poor mental state.

Best Track: Born To Lose or Music Makes Me High or Take Care In Your Dreaming man IDK
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 12-11-2020 11:24 AM

Day 795: My Agenda by Dorian Electra

Y'know I really don't understand this genre. It's like I hate what I'm hearing with a burning passion, then something comes on that I really enjoy, almost makes me think of DDR or something, then it goes back to cringe shit.

Fuck man I don't have time for this. Why am I reviewing something with Rebecca Black as a feature anyways?

Best Track: I don't know man, this shit is 25 minutes figure it out yourself

rayword45 12-11-2020 03:02 PM

Day 796: Anyways by Young Nudy

Well this is a bit better and less boring than that Pop Smoke album.

Best Track: No Comprende
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 12-11-2020 05:30 PM

Day 797: Food House by Food House

Everything I said about that Dorian Electra album applies here too, but to a somewhat lesser, less frequently annoying degree. Well, besides the fact that this album has no features as far as I can tell.

Anyways, instead of writing about this music, I wanna respond to this

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4752420)
I can't help but feel like the response to adan no kaze has a small element of musical yellow fever

iirc in my time spent perusing the doujin music scene I've heard loads of albums with this same aesthetic

I will give 50 credits to the first person to make a joke about Fantano having yellow fever that makes me laugh.

Best Track: 8 Now

rayword45 12-14-2020 09:27 AM

Day 798: Goons Be Gone by No Age

I don't feel like writing shit here. Spotify recommended me this as something I missed and this is just OK, kinda boring.

Best Track: Daddy Can You Please Lick My Bumhole

choof 12-16-2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4748769)
Day 774: Palimpsest by Lauren Bousfield

So this is Nero's Day At Disneyland apparently, and it mostly still sounds like that project! But there's now vocals, and a sort of pop vibe to a lot of these songs, except that pop vibe is kinda fucked over by the sheer abrasiveness of the glitchiness and drums go fast.

Part of me thinks this needs multiple more listens. Part of me thinks "eh, one more is probably all it takes to get it". I found myself absolutely loving some tracks, and found the rest to just be kinda annoying. Interestingly enough, being long or short has no dictation on how much I like a song on this album! Is that unusual for me? I don't know, so how the fuck would any of you know? I've been doing this shit for 7 YEARS NOW? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Best Track: Birds Falling Out Of The Sky or Futurelessness

oh yeah I finally got around to checking this out
if it was instrumental it'd be an 8/10

aperson 12-16-2020 03:15 PM

Aaron Spectre has put out 3 EPs this year for 12 tracks total and they are fuckin bangers fyi

rayword45 12-17-2020 09:27 AM

Day 799: Saint Cloud by Waxahatchee

Is that a Venture Bros reference? The boomers at Pitchfork called this the second best album of the year, after that Fiona Apple album that I liked just fine but wouldn't call outstanding at this point or anything.

This is nowhere near as good as that album. I truly don't understand how this could be the second best album of the year. It's, like, fine...

Best Track: The Eye

rayword45 12-18-2020 09:57 AM

Day 800: Songs by Adrianne Lenker

Another Pitchfork top album of the year.

Another meh.

Best Track: Feh.

rayword45 12-18-2020 10:50 AM

Day 801: Meet The Woo 2 by Pop Smoke (Album Choice: Hazel H.)

This is about half as long as that last one I released which is I guess why it's a mixtape and not an album. Yet for a mixtape, this feels way less cobbled together and more cohesive. And I think the songs are better.

Best Track: Dior
Rating: 7/10

Travis_Flesher 12-18-2020 10:47 PM

Check out a girl rap-star known as
"LoloDaBoss", if you haven't already, Rayword.

Also give the song "Rolling 50 Deep" by DJ Kayslay
a watch and let us know what ya think.

rayword45 12-19-2020 10:04 AM

Day 802: Hundred Acre Wrist Hosted by DJ Sorrow by Sematary & Ghost Mountain

Longass title, confusing lineup, confusing music...

Am I a boomer now? I truly don't understand this shit at all. Is this the future of zoomer music? Because I'm a zoomer and this shit makes me feel old.

Best Track: it all sounds the fucking same
Rating: 3.5/10

MyNameIsNothing 12-19-2020 01:43 PM

beep boop big unranked year end chart behind the link

you've reviewed a bunch of these already, but would love to see your takes on a few of them, mostly meitei, gallery s, zora jones, jean dawson, tim reaper and jockstrap.

as for things you've already reviewed,

re: some of the more ~zoomer~ adjacent things you've reviewed this year: zoomer music peaked this year with this, pulling from the soundcloud glitchcore scene and dogshow records stuff that has blown up in the 1000 gecs wake. some features dont land super hard but the super collaborative online spirit is here in full force. (and while u reviewed the food house record idk if you heard thos moser, which blows everything on that project out of the water)

re: bladee: 333 is boring but i really enjoy exeter, maybe you'd like that one more?

re: jessie ware: what's your pleasure is my definite AOTY, was glad to see u give it a 9! was huge on every single during this album rollout and when the rest of the album was same quality it was a lock. AOTY and maybe my favorite full length since CRJ's Emotion in 2015.

re: ichiko aoba: i dont love it as much as 2018s qp or 2013s 0 but i see why this blew up so hard on rym. ichiko aoba already had a really decent following on there (as far as japanese language artists go) and when they redid their sorting algorithm on there earlier this year 0 shot up to first place of 2013 bringing in a lot of new fans. that combined with this being her lushest production to date and day 1 buzz from fans giving it a high chart debut definitely helped. its definitely good but a confluence of factors i think led to its strong chart performance. i still really love it myself, but hope it encourages other ppl to check out her earlier work.

re: new avalanches: this was kind of a disappointment for me but im glad others are really enjoying it. wildflower is an all time favorite and since i left you isnt far behind. there are some major hits (born to die has been on loop since the album dropped) but little with it has stuck with me after 4 listens and the features are wiiiiiildly inconsistent for me. we'll see what i think in like a year though, havent had a ton of time to spend with this one yet.

rayword45 12-21-2020 03:01 PM

Day 803: Charmed by DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ

I was really really enjoying this at first, felt like a nice mix of future funk, house music and just general nostalgia aesthetic, then by the halfway point I was like "why is this still going on and on and on?"

Best Track: suck my dick

rayword45 12-21-2020 08:24 PM

Day 804: Bob's Son: R​.​A​.​P. Ferreira in the Garden Level Cafe of the Scallops Hotel by R.A.P. Ferreira

I've gotta be honest guys, although I've given him fair ratings I've always thought this guy was a bit overrated.

This, however, is HEAT. I think a shorter runtime works wonders for this guy's style when it comes to cohesive projects, as I loved every second of this and fell immediately into it's atmosphere and just, like, world, and when it was over I felt like I wanted MORE.

Also I'm glad he's mostly sticking to his current pseudonym and not releasing more stuff under the name Milo because I'm no longer thinking of Yiannopolopodopoponopolis.

Best Track: Redguard Snipers
Rating: 8.5/10

aperson 12-22-2020 04:57 AM

My final recommendation of this year is... ROVO - ROVO

ty for keeping this thread going. it allows me to stay caught up with the zoomers

choof 12-25-2020 11:19 AM

new playboy cardigan dropped
I don't get it

edit: okay I think I got it
this album is bad

rayword45 12-28-2020 03:37 PM

Day 805: Whole Lotta Red by Playboi Carti (Album Choice: choof)

In the past my biggest complaint about this guy was that he basically just existed on the beat. It feels like he took heed of similar complaints and instead decided to go full Soundcloud and it SUCKS. Choof I was hoping you were wrong...

Best Track: Go2DaMoon
Rating: 3/10

rayword45 12-29-2020 08:15 AM

Day 806: ROVO by ROVO (Album Choice: aboomer)

This is really dense stuff. Is it jazz? Is it prog rock? Is this a jam band?

Either way, I like it but it's perhaps a bit too wanky feeling for me to really truly fall in love with any of this. Maybe if I was tripping I'd like it a lot more. This reminds me quite a bit of The Comet Is Coming but that release I reviewed was quite a bit tighter.

Best Track: Kamara
Rating: 7/10