Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

Gravity Kitten 06-24-2020 05:33 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

nathan u never listen to my recs but i'll still give u one anyway

jean dawson - bad sports

rayword45 07-2-2020 04:04 PM

Day 755: Punisher by Phoebe Bridgers

Fuck you melon you got it right this time and I hate that. I feel like if it wasn't rona time, I'd be a lot harsher on this but somehow this just speaks to my isolation, cabin fever, loneliness and desperation for human connection that is likely going to lead me to some uncomfortable, dangerous places.

Wait, fuck, all of that about myself still applies outside a pandemic. Godfuckingdamnit. But still, I'm gonna have to revisit this when I can go outside again and see if I like it as much.

Best Track: Moon Song
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 07-4-2020 04:50 PM

Day 756: Bridge to Quiet by Animal Collective

Fuck this holiday.

This EP is at least better than their last 3 or 4 releases. It's honestly pretty nice stuff! How is this throwaways?

I need to leave this country.

Best Track: Title track
Rating: 7/10

dAnceguy117 07-4-2020 09:07 PM

https://twitter.com/weedhitler/statu...74518337556480

rayword45 07-5-2020 02:56 PM

Day 757: KiCk i by Arca

I wonder what Arkuski is up to these days. This is better than their previous albums for sure. A bit too long though.

Best Track: Calor

rayword45 07-7-2020 12:23 AM

Day 758: The Album by Teyana Taylor

That EP (or was it an album?) with the Kanye production Ms. Taylor dropped in 2018 is one I still return to. It's brief, full of personality and totally consistent.

This is overlong, kinda generic and VERY hit-or-miss. It's also frontloaded as all heck. Disappointing. The features are mostly good though.

Best Track: Lowkey
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 07-15-2020 01:47 PM

Day 759: Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase? by The Soft Pink Truth (Album Choice: zperson)

I'm a waste. As of right now I'm a fucking NEET (that only partly changes in a month) living in my mom's dining room. I've burned bridges. I've missed countless opportunities. Some of those I wonder if they'll come back but they probably won't. Maybe it's for the best. Maybe I'm doing them a favor. I rely too much on the fun times to get me through the utter horror of daily life, and with COVID severely stymieing one of my main replacements for a personality, the utter void of nothingness that has become my daily life consumes me to an agonizing degree. I know that when remote classes come back in a few weeks this will not change, as I'm not a real academic, I'm a fraud and a failure. Was college a waste of time? Did I waste my money? Am I about to waste more? Paying this much for digital classes should be illegal. The thought of how far behind I feel, even if it doesn't match my age nor whatever else the fuck, brings insane existential agony. Hell, the return of my fake personality, that being going out to places that serve alcohol while trying to pretend to live "spontaneously" that only annoys people, won't cure me. Well, at least it'll make it less annoying to deal with knowing there's actually something to look forward to. I need to get the fuck out of MA. Whatever, man.

This album was mostly really good. I liked the seamlessness. A few annoying bits, but I'm gonna have to relisten to this more than once to really decide if I like it more or less than I did first listen.

Best Track: We (I'm a sucker for the groove what can I say?)

rayword45 07-15-2020 03:52 PM

Day 760: Domingo by Chip Tanaka

I'm a waste. As of right now I'm a fucking NEET (that only partly changes in a month) living in my mom's dining room. I've burned bridges. I've missed countless opportunities. Some of those I wonder if they'll come back but they probably won't. Maybe it's for the best. Maybe I'm doing them a favor. I rely too much on the fun times to get me through the utter horror of daily life, and with COVID severely stymieing one of my main replacements for a personality, the utter void of nothingness that has become my daily life consumes me to an agonizing degree. I know that when remote classes come back in a few weeks this will not change, as I'm not a real academic, I'm a fraud and a failure. Was college a waste of time? Did I waste my money? Am I about to waste more? Paying this much for digital classes should be illegal. The thought of how far behind I feel, even if it doesn't match my age nor whatever else the fuck, brings insane existential agony. Hell, the return of my fake personality, that being going out to places that serve alcohol while trying to pretend to live "spontaneously" that only annoys people, won't cure me. Well, at least it'll make it less annoying to deal with knowing there's actually something to look forward to. I need to get the fuck out of MA. Whatever, man. I'm starting to come to accept that these feelings are just how life is.

Been a while since I reviewed something game related I believe, this guy has composed for Nintendo for over 3 decades now. As a diehard Nintendo fan I'm coming into this with two opposite expectations, either I love it to bits or simply appreciate it but think it sounds too "video game-y". Not all video game soundtracks are that for me, like I love every second of every Kyle Gabler game soundtrack but... IDK fuck off I can't think of the words.

Well, there's some real instrumentation in here I... think? Very sparingly at that, this is mostly chiptunes and MIDI. Both of my predictions were correct, but the ones I don't enjoy as much outnumber the ones I do. Those ones are BEAUTIFUL though, I'll probably return to those tracks only, plus the ones that felt a little more left-field in general.

On a random note, something about Tubeworm Dub I findly oddly hilarious.

Best Track: Guiding Light Dub, Calm Sea, A Song For Stars, and the last two will make up my playlist to return to
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 07-15-2020 08:45 PM

Day 761: Fist Me Til Your Hand Comes Out My Mouth by Crywank

Great album title. I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected, the opening part is amazing.

Best Track: The first 8 tracks

choof 07-17-2020 11:01 AM

https://idlesunder.bandcamp.com/album/psygnosis

rayword45 07-22-2020 09:14 PM

Day 762: Legends Never Die by Juice WRLD

The fact that this dude died makes me go from uncaring to salty that my school lost the Tinder swipe off when he was the prize performer. Anyways, I've been in a super bad depressive funk for a week over someone that was probably doing me a favor when they told me I'm too good for them and I was hoping this music would help me, knowing how I stereotyped it before he died.

It didn't help. Nothing will help.

Best Track: Tell Me U Luv Me
Rating: 4/10

robertsona 07-24-2020 02:08 PM

I liked "climbing towards a wall" by Ulla

rayword45 08-7-2020 12:43 AM

Day 763: The Microphones in 2020 by The Microphones

My emotions right now are very very confusing and I don't know what the fuck to put here because I'd rather just smoke weed and feel sorry AND ecstatic for myself.

This is a better album for that kinda conflicting mood than A Crow Looked At Me would've been. There's a sense of longing in this single piece, but it's definitely more nostalgic and introspective as opposed to outright "holy fuck this is so depressing what is the meaning of life?". I like the pacing, I like the vocals and lyrics, this is good shit.

Best Track: It's one 45 minute song.

robertsona 08-7-2020 09:58 AM

"tumbling towards a wall"* jeez I had one job

Wiosna 08-8-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4732536)
did you ever listen to everywhere at the end of time

Only Stages 3 and 6:
Quote:

Day 413: Everywhere At The End Of Everything, Part 3 by The Caretaker

So this is apparently some of the best ambient of the year. I'm doing this three-part series of albums in scattered backwards order because

1. This one has the best ratings
2. Part one is from 2016
3. Fuck you

This was rather different from what I was expecting, based on my preconceptions of what constitutes "ambient" and "turntablism". This consists mostly of piano playing chopped up, swirled around and run through filters to make it sound wax cylinder lo-fi. Not the atmosphere I tend to go for when searching for either of those genres, but it's not bad!

Apparently, this is supposed to sound like dementia. I definitely read that some time ago on RYM but I had forgotten it until I was about halfway through the album. With that context in mind... the hell? If anything that just makes it seem more kitsch with all the 1910s ballroom atmosphere. This predated Bojack Horseman season 4 but that felt like a better, more tasteful portrayal of dementia than this. And you guys should KNOW I'm a sucker for context (A Crow Looked At Me is a case where the depressing backstory worked except this one isn't nearly as "What the Jesus fuck..." tragic).

As one long piece this is rather enjoyable, yet oddly enough the tracks are mostly very same-y. Different chords and everything yeah but the mood and minimalism here is oppressive, though not necessarily in a bad way. It's also now dawning on me why I should listen to this in order... Nah fuck you.

Anyways, solid enough although the horn-y (hurrhurrhurrhurr) mood gets old after a while and it's hard to pick a best track. I'll listen to the others parts eventually, maybe. This gimmick is still trash, though.

Best Track: Gradiation of Arms Length or Mournful Cameraderie
Rating: 6/10
Quote:

Day 619: Everywhere at the End of Time - Stage 6 by The Caretaker (Album Choice: choof)

Did I review one of these earlier? Lemme check.

I did. It was the third one. Either way, go read up on the story behind these albums if you want, but I'm jumping straight into the most recent part because 2019, and because I want to see how it holds without the context.

I barely remember what the other one sounded like, but I do remember how it had far more tracks, with this one only having 4 pieces. And compared to the more obviously sample-based work displayed on that earlier album, this one is far more minimalist and seemingly focused on soundscapes, or really just, like, static. The final track is absolutely gorgeous, but with the other ones I get the sense I really should've listened to this whole project lol

Oh well, one day I will listen to the whole thing as intended. For now, ehh

Best Track: Place In The World Fades Away
Rating: 6/10
I'd still suggest listening to Stage 5 over any of the other stages if you're planning on reviewing just one stage.

I like it 08-15-2020 09:49 AM

listen to that new sable valley

rayword45 08-17-2020 09:09 AM

Day 764: Tumbling Towards A Wall by Ulla (Album Choice: robertsona)

Ambient music is probably a wack choice for waiting music as I await this rapid COVID test that cost me $160. I am not getting a fucking covid test every damn time I see my girlfriend, I am really hating my current living situation and need to move out ASAP.

This album has a good amount of variety amongst its relatively few tracks, no two songs sound too much alike. This album is quite backloaded, I wasn't into a bunch of the starting songs but it ends very nicely.

Best Track: Smile (better than the Gothic Archies song with this title)

themastergrant 08-20-2020 07:12 AM

Check out God, forgive these bastards by The Taxpayers. It’s not Christian even though it has the word god in the album title.

rayword45 08-24-2020 10:45 PM

Day 765: What's Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware

I saw this high on the RYM charts and thought "nu-disco? I love nu-disco!" and this album is pretty good. Nothing outstanding and a bit too long but the production is pretty fucking gorgeous and there's no real obvious clunkers. I wish I could've lived through the 80s instead of the current hellworld. Then again, back then things were definitely more racist and homophobic. Whatever, good album. Will return several times this year and decide if I love it more or less than I do right now. Thanks /mu/-kiddies, you did me right this time unlike most of the time.

Best Track: The Kill

rayword45 09-9-2020 02:36 AM

Day 766: Telas by Nicolas Jaar

Two albums by the same guy in one year! Also, I'm turning 23 on Sunday and they just cancelled Venture Bros, two reasons why this week fucking SUCKS.

This album sounds... very similar to the last one I heard from this guy. It's pleasant enough to me, nothing really sticks out, I'm honestly kinda bored, the end.

Best Track: meh
Rating: 5.5/10