Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 10-20-2019 06:46 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 646: There Existed An Addiction To Blood by clipping. (Album Choice: my roommate)

Another band that I always associated with memes and have barely listened to outside of a few popular songs on YouTube many years ago.

Why these guys are frequently compared to Death Grips is not apparent to me. Well, no, I get why they're compared considering their more esoteric beat choices, but the delivery and tone of the whole thing is worlds away from MC Ride's shoutiness. This is more in line with the other artist these two get compared to (just guess who that is) but this is definitely more frequently aggressive than his work. This album wasn't bad! The subject matter of most of the songs didn't do all too much for me, but the beats and flow on most of it kept me engaged, and I can appreciate their experimental approach while maintaining a cohesive flow to this thing. I suppose I should check out some of their other work.

Ending with an 18 minute field recording of a burning piano was dumb tho.

Best Track: La Mala Ordina
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 10-20-2019 08:24 PM

Day 647: 1000 gecs by 100 gecs

It's like if the dudes from BrokenCYDE decided to record an album on MDMA then release it only in a sped-up form.
It's like MySpace culture came back with a vengeance, but this time the self-harm is inflicted on the ears.
It's like a group of white kids decided they wanted to take nightcore versions of trap songs then add more trap and more nightcore to it.
It's like the people behind those stupid Happy Bunny stickers that were popular in 2003 decided to release an album sung by Happy Bunny but they could only afford bootleg AutoTune, ImmediatePitchShift.
It's like a hipster wanted to make something akin to "deconstructed emo nightcore" except nobody gives a fuck about emo nightcore and also he had never used GarageBand before.
It's like if Vocaloid was cringy in a different way that was Ameri-centric instead.
Fuck you PMC.

Best Track: I Need Help Immediately
Rating: 2/10

rayword45 10-21-2019 01:30 AM

Day 648: The Plugs I Met by Benny The Butcher

This was #2 for best EPs of 2019, and most of the rest of the chart was metal that I didn't want to listen to. I guess I'm biased to hip-hop EPs because I honestly bumped this shit hard, to the point where it fucked up my last half-hour of studies! The two standout features are obvious (Black Thought,Pusha T) but every song here smacks. Yeah, EPs are better than 70 minute albums for sure. Quality control motherfuckers. Fuck you Eminem.

If I don't get help for my broken brain soon I'm gonna lose college. I hate my life. I need to fucking play more dance games and get healthy exercise where is my impulse. And I need therapy. Help me plz college sucks.

Best Track: 18 Wheeler
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 10-21-2019 09:28 PM

Day 649: All Mirrors by Angel Olsen

Okay PMC you're not really forgiven for that atrocity yesterday but I can't lie, this is great stuff. Once again, front-loaded, but not a bad song in the bunch.

Best Track: The Title Track and it's actually called All Mirrors but I'm bolding this because I want to

rayword45 10-21-2019 11:05 PM

Day 650: LφVE & EVφL by Boris

I love it when the title tracks are the worst tracks except goddamnit the first track is the best one here. I found LφVE to be a chore and EVφL to be annoying, but the rest is usual Boris. Lone exception is the first track which is almost dream pop. Anyways, this is average.

Best Track: Away From You
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 10-21-2019 11:53 PM

Day 651: Atonement by Killswitch Engage (Album Choice: Deadlyx39)

Last one was surprisingly decent. This one just half bored me, half gave me a headache. Not revisiting. Sorry.

Best Track: As Sure As The Sun Will Rise
Rating: 4/10

choof 10-22-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4700788)
Day 646: There Existed An Addiction To Blood by clipping. (Album Choice: my roommate)

Another band that I always associated with memes and have barely listened to outside of a few popular songs on YouTube many years ago.

Why these guys are frequently compared to Death Grips is not apparent to me. Well, no, I get why they're compared considering their more esoteric beat choices, but the delivery and tone of the whole thing is worlds away from MC Ride's shoutiness. This is more in line with the other artist these two get compared to (just guess who that is) but this is definitely more frequently aggressive than his work. This album wasn't bad! The subject matter of most of the songs didn't do all too much for me, but the beats and flow on most of it kept me engaged, and I can appreciate their experimental approach while maintaining a cohesive flow to this thing. I suppose I should check out some of their other work.

Ending with an 18 minute field recording of a burning piano was dumb tho.

Best Track: La Mala Ordina

piano burning is now the reason why I need to check this out asap

rayword45 10-23-2019 10:53 PM

Day 652: Zdenka 2080 by Salami Rose Joe Louis

I saw her open for Flying Lotus. Her act was great. FlyLo was better. On the other hand, this is better than the newest album of his, but just barely. It's, overall, pretty passable and forgettable, but with that in mind nothing here is offensively bad and it goes quick.

Best Track: Love The Sun but it really is quite repetitive
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 10-24-2019 02:50 AM

Day 653: Shattered Dimensions by The Flying Luttenbachers

I'm pretty sure I heard something this band made when I was, like, 14 and didn't care for it. The first song here kicks ass. The rest is still pretty good, but this is generally more freeform than I like my noise rock stuff. They're really good at making crushing tones work in alternation with free jazzy bullshit though.

Best Track: Goosesteppin
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 10-24-2019 03:38 AM

Day 654: HYPNOWALD by Janusz Jurga

Good and chill.

Oh my god it's almost 5AM and I'm studying for 3 exams and coding R while writing two master's research papers somebody please shoot me in the face I want to die

Best Track: 2 HYPNOWALD 2
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 10-25-2019 04:15 PM

Day 655: Jesus Is King by Kanye West

I love The Big Day.

Best Track: Hands On
Resting: 3/10

choof 10-25-2019 04:29 PM

review anthony fantano's charity comp

rayword45 10-25-2019 09:08 PM

Day 656: Anger Management by Rico Nasty and Kenny Beats

It's fire I want more they're playing Oasis at this party and I'm not drunk enough yet help me

Best Track: Cheat Codes

Meatyguy 10-25-2019 09:11 PM

Illenium - Ascend
Gryffin - Gravity
i_o - House of God (I don't know if EPs are allowed)
Red Vox - Another Light

choof 10-25-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatyguy (Post 4700923)
Illenium - Ascend

can someone please explain the hype around this album or why it's good
I tried checking it out a few weeks ago but it's just same ol' atmospheric edm shit with epic vocals

rayword45 10-28-2019 02:41 AM

Day 657: Bigger Than Life by Black Marble (Album Choice: David H.)

Well, this certainly exists.

Best Track: Feels (not by Animal Collective)

rayword45 10-28-2019 01:25 PM

Day 658: Quantum Pulsation by KK Null

Continuing the trend of "let's review artists that I've reviewed previously and see if my tastes have changed significantly" let's review an artist whom I last reviewed in the distant past of April 2019.

Compared to Abiogenesis, which I liked a little bit more upon repeated listens (and would probably give it an 8 today), this is even less consistently harsh. The only part of this album I'm not very fond of is towards the end of the first track (was he trying to go for some kinda forest/jungle atmosphere? I dunno but it annoyed me) and the rest is pretty good, but overall it just isn't as interesting, engaging or intense as the last one I listened to... wait this came out 2 days after Abiogenesis?

Not bad, if you know what you're looking for here, you'll probably find it. But once again, I just wish things were even more abrasive.

Best Track: The second one

rayword45 10-28-2019 02:35 PM

Day 659: Sizzling EP by Daphni

Despite the pseudonym and the fact that this is a completely different style that I probably like just as much as folktronica, this is exactly as boring as the last Caribou album I reviewed!

Best Track: If
Rating: 5/10

Meatyguy 10-30-2019 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4700924)
can someone please explain the hype around this album or why it's good
I tried checking it out a few weeks ago but it's just same ol' atmospheric edm shit with epic vocals

I mean... there's not much else to explain really. That's pretty much exactly right. For me, that type of music hits me hard in the feels. Favorites from that album are Good Things Fall Apart and In Your Arms. Plus, I'm not sure if you've ever been to a show with that type of music but it only makes it better imo.

choof 10-31-2019 11:15 AM

I used to go to raves as a teen, I've been to an Armin Only, and I've been to EDC at least three times
a live setting amplifies any style of music, not just epic and atmospheric vocal edm
I didn't hear any artistic evolution from Awake honestly