Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 05-3-2019 05:00 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 564: Hexed by Children of Bodom (Album Choice: Hateandhatred)

The only song I know from these guys is Blooddrunk for reasons that should be incredibly obvious to anybody that's a member of this website. This is much faster for the most part than that song, although some songs keep that slower speed.

I've never claimed to be a real connoisseur of melodic death metal, or even death metal as a whole, but compared to a lot of other releases of the same genre I've listened to, this feels kinda soulless. They've got some good riffs in there, the vocals aren't bad, but really there's just nothing that makes this stick out to me. It ultimately just feels a little too clean and safe which is a really weird way to describe death metal.

I'm gonna die.

Best Track: Platitudes and Barren Wards
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 05-4-2019 12:27 AM

Day 565: Digital Maestro by DM Ashura

This is another case where I've listened to this album before, but it's been over half a decade and I basically considered this lost media since the death of What.CD until I met the man himself at a rave he performed at and bought a copy, it was old overstock from 2007. Then I realized I have no CD drive anywhere in this house, so I asked the man himself for a digital copy and he gave me one. Nice guy, go support him by either going to a show he plays or taking his math class.

Immediately with the opening vocals of Psychosis and up until the end with that DDR Ultramix song, this hits me like a blast of nostalgia for the long past years of 2007-2008 when I first found this website and Stepmania. Long before I was depressed, long before I had to do fucking Master's projects in college, long before I gave a shit about school, long before I ever held a job, long before I got intoxicated on any substances, long before I realized I wasn't asexual, long before I had any legal scares (gee thanks high school, can't believe I got accused of bioterrorism for some fucking ghost peppers), long before personal drama between friends happened on a frequent basis, long before I developed serious social anxieties that I compensate for through unnecessary volume and extroversion, long before I basically became the fuck-up I am today. This brings me back to the days when I first found this website and Stepmania soon after, when shit like the simfile database and ITGFreak existed, when I was making terrible YouTube Poops to share with my friends on the school bus, when I had no phone or social media, when I thought smoking smarties was hilarious, when I thought swearing made you a badass, when being able to do simple maths made you feel smart and when the Wii was brand-spanking new, when I was using shitty survey websites like PrizeRebel to get my money (which in retrospect was horribly slow but hey, video games). I miss those days, life is sad now. At least my family has a dog now.

If an album invokes that kind of reaction in me, it's either fucking terrible, or it's great. I'm leaning towards the latter, because the last time I had a reaction like this was that fucking Shaggs album and to be quite honest I still don't understand that one. I also like the way this album feels somewhat cohesive, and besides the last two obviously-meant-to-be-bonus tracks, the sequencing feels pretty great, which, for an album that consists of 25% remixes, is impressive. I can see this being a great accompaniment to meditating in a dark room, sober or not.

ADDENDUM: Mental health is a fucking bitch, y'all. Fuck the United States health care system, but that's not to blame for my own problems, I just suck at doing things.

Best Track: Psychosis (Obelisk and Return Of Neon come quite close though)
Rating: 8.5/10 (In reality, it's probably not deserving of such a high rating and is quite the lengthy album, but fuck it sentimentality rules over all)

rayword45 05-4-2019 02:42 PM

Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

DAY NOT A REVIEW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dvaerak7Korgo (Post 4394964)
Also, your Shaggs review hit me in the feels. Idk if this means much to you, but as a 21yo schmuck who's constantly around musicians, I'm sure you'll find your people if you keep going to shows and keep making more music. High school is really a clusterfuck of identity confusion and hormone-driven egotism, but I'm sure there are a few cool, self-aware people who will dig you. After high school, it seems it's slightly--if not loads--easier to find humble-yet-cultured people who genuinely like you for who you are. Sort of makes the other adult shit more tolerable. Anyway, that's enough condescending blab from me.

I tried to keep it interesting. Hope things go well for you man! :)

Finding more people was true, and college is indeed better than high school, but I'm still a clusterfuck of identity confusion and hormone-driven egotism. I GUESS I'm happier than high school... Maybe? But that's only because high school was an actual hellhole and college is where I became detached from everything shit I don't fucking know what even is life

This is not the point of the thread what am I blabbering on about back to schoolwork

aperson 05-4-2019 03:07 PM

Arovane & Porya Hatami - C.H.R.O.N.O.S.
ASUNA & Jan Jelinek - Signals Bulletin
Proem - Until Here for Years
AKOV - U WANT IT

rayword45 05-7-2019 07:58 PM

Day 566: Lightning Language by K-Rino (Album Choice: Bill Maher)

This is pretty solid stuff wait holy shit this dude dropped 5 albums this year already?! Okay anyways, this is pretty solid stuff, the lyrics, the beats, the flow, the hooks, all pretty solid stuff for the most part wow I repeated that phrase 3 fucking times. Very different in tone and style from the rap albums I usually listen to, because I usually listen to extremely mainstream shit, but I like it. A few bars come off as kinda corny or even sappy at times (No Time kinda sucks as a whole) but not enough to drag this down. If I do give this repeat listens I may like it more or like it less. Just like usual, I am saying NOTHING of substance. I need to brush my teeth.

Best Track: What I Gotta Do
Rating: 7/10

Deadlyx39 05-10-2019 09:35 AM

Oh yeah I meant to ask, did you ever hear the Denzel Curry cover of Bulls on Parade? Surprisingly very good.

https://youtu.be/ZY4ywyFXdik

aperson 05-10-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 4673223)
Arovane & Porya Hatami - C.H.R.O.N.O.S.
ASUNA & Jan Jelinek - Signals Bulletin
Proem - Until Here for Years
AKOV - U WANT IT

All of these ended up being overrated for my expectations except for the ASUNA & Jan Jelinek one which is really good imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4673837)
Day 566: Lightning Language by K-Rino (Album Choice: Bill Maher)

This is pretty solid stuff wait holy shit this dude dropped 5 albums this year already?! Okay anyways, this is pretty solid stuff, the lyrics, the beats, the flow, the hooks, all pretty solid stuff for the most part wow I repeated that phrase 3 fucking times. Very different in tone and style from the rap albums I usually listen to, because I usually listen to extremely mainstream shit, but I like it. A few bars come off as kinda corny or even sappy at times (No Time kinda sucks as a whole) but not enough to drag this down. If I do give this repeat listens I may like it more or like it less. Just like usual, I am saying NOTHING of substance. I need to brush my teeth.

Best Track: What I Gotta Do

Hell yeah Houston's rap game is extremely fuckin good

rayword45 05-16-2019 06:08 PM

Day 567: When I Get Home by Solange (Album Choice: somone thats not homestarrunner)

I like the production, I like the shorter song lengths, I like the interludes, the mood fits my current mood. It's good. Will re-listen.

I need more caffeine desperstely right about now.

Best Track: Binz

rayword45 05-16-2019 08:30 PM

Day 568: Agora by Fennesz (Album Choice: some guy idk)

gonna take myself to a gay bar tn (bc my friends invited me)

this is a weird pregame choice but i enjoy it enough

Best Track: the title one

rayword45 05-17-2019 11:44 AM

Day 569: Igor by Tyler The Creator

To repeat what I've been shitting all over the rest of the internet, there's too much fucking pitch shifting. This isn't as good as Flower Boy but it's better than all his other albums, especially Cherry Bomb to which this kinda seems like an attempt at a do-over. A lot of these tracks feel like The Internet rejects and I don't think Tyler is enough of a singer to carry this kind of album so it could use some more features. I still do like it though, and the bangers are some of his best party tracks ever.

But the fucking pitch-shifting whyyyyyy

Best Track: Are We Still Friends
Rating: 7/10 (4 in a row!)

rayword45 05-19-2019 04:32 PM

Day 570: Harverd Dropout by Lil Pump

This being in the RYM bottom 20 for 2019 so far is ludicrous. This feels more like a mixtape than an album, with seemingly very little thought given to album flow and track order and whatnot, most of the features are completely useless in the one thing they NEED to do (which is add variety) and it's ridiculously repetitive, but still, bottom 20?

Compared to his 2017 release, the production on this is significantly less grating and terrible (fuck you melon you're wrong again). The rapping is still ass, but I'm not here for bars. This definitely is twice as long as it needs to be, and some of these songs are real stinkers (I dunno if Off White is a stinker because it's fucking funny, but Vroom Vroom Vroom and Stripper Name definitely suck the smegma off a donkey's dick), but what's good is fun enough.

Not that terrible.

Best Track: Racks On Racks
Rating: 5/10 (half point up or down very viable, but regardless broke the chain!)

rayword45 05-20-2019 03:25 AM

Day 571: Anoyo by Tim Hecker

It's 4:30 AM and I've listened to this 3 times now. The Hecker album this reminds me of most is probably Virgins due to a heavier presence of acoustic instruments than usual, but unlike Virgins I actually quite like this one. This one is REAL short, the shortest release I've ever heard from this guy, and only the first and last track out of six are over 5 minutes in length. What this lacks in length I think it more than makes up for in intricacy, as this may not be as hypnotic as his other releases but the variations in sounds and samples makes it one of his more engaging releases. Not Alone isn't a stronger track here, but it basically sounds like ambient Fuck Buttons which is not something I'd ever expect ol Timmyboy to do.

Good stuff.

It's 4:30 AM.

Best Track: Into The Void or You Never Were
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 05-20-2019 02:48 PM

Day 572: Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood

I really like the cinematic, almost bombastic feeling of the first track. I was hoping the whole album kept that tone throughout, and they clearly tried. Did they hit the mark?

...Eh. Some of the other songs are GREAT, like Movies and Mirror Forever, and keep that gospel-movie kinda quality to them and do it well. Then there's a bunch of songs which just veer way too far into the "boring indie pop" internal bias I have. None of these songs are outright BAD (although what the fuck is with the country Beach Boys sound of the second and third track?), and I understand that my expectations from the first track are probably unfair because

1. Things are always frontloaded
2. "Cinematic" isn't even in the RYM descriptors

But yeah, it... just didn't really captivate me all that much. Maybe I'll appreciate it more with more listens, but I've listened to it thrice now! More likely, I'll delete the songs I don't want and keep this as a high 8 EP.

Melon is a 4channer at heart I just know it and I also blame his stans for always bullshitting RYM scores and making internet music discussions reek of bacterial vaginosis, but at least he doesn't write sub-Christgau malarky like this babble I defecated out in 300 seconds.

Best Track: A Lot's Gonna Change
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 05-23-2019 10:09 PM

Day Konami: Hi This Is Flume by Flume

Some good songs, yeah. Some wack songs, yeah. Some undercooked ideas, yeah.

Based on memory alone because my Snapchat memories don't load that far back, this is not even 25% as enjoyable ss seeing the dude live (which is an unfair metric, that was a crazy good concert). It's not a bad release, pretty middling overall. Surprisingly good sequencing for a supposed mixtape, there just needs to be a higher quality of songs.

Best Track: How To Build A Relationship or Voices (good feature choices for both)
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 05-24-2019 01:31 AM

Day 574: Venture by Anderson .Paak

I loved Malibu. This is about more of the same with much less of a wow factor, but these songs are still mostly pretty good. Great instrumentals, good features, mediocre lyrics, the whole thing is kinda same-y and feels like it's playing it safe, but it's still enjoyable.

Best Track: Reachin 2 Much

rayword45 05-24-2019 02:04 AM

Day 575: For Lovers by Octo Octa

Where Are We Going? remains my second favorite album of 2017. This is only an EP, but it's more consistent than that and with a better atmosphere. This may very well be my favorite release of 2019 to be quite honest, not counting singles because then I have to give it up to U Was At Da Club (Bottoms Up). Damn this isn't an album because it would make ranking things at the end of the year so much easier.

Best Track: I Need You but it's all great shit
Rating: 9/10

Wayward Vagabond 05-24-2019 04:23 PM

Check out jid - decaprio 2

rayword45 05-29-2019 04:30 PM

Day 576: PROTO by Holly Herndon

I've listened to this twice sober and twice stoned now.

It's better stoned than sober, but super good either way. She got a style I'm certainly a sucker for, although Jlin is somewhat out of place and some cuts, mostly songs that only consist of sung vocals with scant an instrument sound, are a bit sucky.

I'm Dr. Seuss.

Best Track: SWIM (dope title)
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 05-30-2019 08:59 PM

Day 577: Injury Reserve by Injury Reserve

Good producton

Its good i like booze

Best track Jailbreak the tesla or Wax On
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 05-31-2019 08:17 PM

Day 578: ZUU by Denzel Curry

People be whining that this is a step back after TA13OO.

I mean, yeah it is, but it's still good. The majority of this album slaps which is all I came here for.

Best Track: BIRDZ (and I don't even like Rick Ross)
Rating: 8/10