Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 02-21-2019 10:39 AM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 537: Everything's For Sale by Boogie

A good chunk of tunes here are pretty catchy, but this whole thing is not my kinda sadboi rap and some tracks feel incomplete (more JID pretty please) while others drag.

Also, negative one point for that one feature. You know the one. Candy ass.

Best Track: Self Destruction
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 03-1-2019 05:35 PM

Day 538: Careful by Boy Harsher

This is a genre I've found comes across as cheesy way too often, so the fact that I only recoiled at under 20% of this album means it's a strong one for its genre. I also really dig the dancier tracks.

Best Track: Face The Fire
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 03-3-2019 08:27 PM

Day 539: New Breed by DAWN

For a 32 minute album, there's a distressing amount of filler here. Also, why are there so many spoken word/field recording sections in this album?

That's my biggest complaint with this album but overall it's a pleasant, quick listen albeit probably a bit frontloaded and inconsistent. Lyrically, I have no complaints and the production (minus the aforementioned problem of wasted space) is lush without being cheesy.

Best Track: Dreams and Converse
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 03-5-2019 12:53 PM

Day 540: Maniac Meat by Tobacco

I'm gonna take this time to bump Malibu Ken to an 8.5.

This is relevant because I assumed I loved the album because of Tobacco and in spite of Aesop Rock.

This album's complete inconsistency is making me question that. Also, as a lifelong Beck fan these are some really superfluous features.

Best Track: Creepy Phone Calls
Rating: 5/10

aperson 03-5-2019 07:53 PM

Rrose - Beware of Shells

rayword45 03-5-2019 08:45 PM

Day 541: New Atlantis by Efdemin

Is the album title the theme that this guy was going for? The vocals in the beginning and spoken word in the final track both suck ass, let's get that out of the way. Some of these tracks, ESPECIALLY the title track (which is also the longest cut) and Black Sun, are groovy enough that they could keep a club going if just played on loops. The rest are just... weird and not in an interesting way. The appropriately titled Temple just sounds like a lost SNES game song, At The Strangers House feels like a weird, crappy bastard child of Nine Inch Nails and Boards Of Canada and I already complained about those first and last tracks.

Strip away all the fat and you're left with a decent little half-hour album. As it stands this is way overlong and it's mostly the fault of the shorter tracks and interludes.

Best Track: New Atlantis
Rating: 5.5/10

dashoe93 03-10-2019 01:21 PM

RARITIES by Lorn.

Holy shit more Lorn for 2019

It's like, older shit found. Kinda neato

rayword45 03-14-2019 06:33 PM

Day 542: Thank You by Black Dresses

The Machine Girl Problem
/T͟Hē məˈSHēn ɡərl ˈpräbləm/
The phenomenon of releasing an album and having half be badass but half cringe shit

And unlike Machine Girl, I can't point to a style that they excel or falter at. Although I, as expected, prefer the harder hitting tracks, some of the pop songs (like carnival-esque closer Baby Steps) are great. And there are bad songs of both types.

Worth a listen, I'll give em that. Also way, way better than Sleigh Bells.

Best Track: Wasteisolation
Rating: 6.5/10

Deadlyx39 03-17-2019 04:28 AM

This thread is literally the only reason I still come back to FFR anymore. Keep it up rayword

rayword45 03-17-2019 10:37 PM

Day 543: Czarface Meets Ghostface by... oh come the fuck on yo

This is better than every Wu-Tang album that isn't the debut. Maybe not Wu-Tang Forever either but I haven't listened to that one in years. I hope everyone who reads this realizes exactly how difficult of a task that is.

It's succinct (yay for a lack of terrible skits), and it's consistent. The beats are simple, and I'm not complaining. Only qualm I have is some of these lyrics are actually REALLY bad to the point of almost being comedic, predominantly some of Esoteric's one-liners.

Almost definitely not gonna make my year-end list, but it's not bad at all!

Best Track: Mongolian Beef

rayword45 03-20-2019 01:30 AM

Day 544: Rap Or Go To The Leagues by Dos Cadenaz

I do wonder if these picture reviews will break at some point... Haha who am I kidding this site will go under first.

Best Track: Whip or Momma I Hit A Lick
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 03-20-2019 03:12 PM

Day 545: Remind Me Tomorrow by Sharon Von Etten

This is gonna be the year of listening to artists I saw live years ago but never bothered listening to! She was, in fact, the opening act at the first show (they called it a "festival") I ever went to without family. I was 17, so many missed opportunities... fuck social anxiety.

Anyways, her act was good, even great, but for some reason I stupidly assumed I wouldn't like her recorded music. Maybe I had an internal bias against female artists at that time, or maybe some weird rockist shit. Or maybe it's because I was too mesmerized by Tame Impala and Beck. Regarding the latter, haters fuck off and commit seppuku. Regarding the former, hate as you please, I think they aight. Anyways, listening now is proving my preconceptions wrong like the useless fucking moron I am.

This is wonderfully consistent, yet there's just enough eclecticism to prevent one from getting bored, even an unmedicated fuck-up like myself! You have bombastic, almost stadium-ready rockers like Hands and Seventeen, fuzzy swing pop with You Shadow, psychedelia with Jupiter 14 and dancy album closer Stay, and much, much more! This sounds like an advertisement I suck at writing like I suck at life and everything else.

I'm mad at myself for waiting 4 years to listen to this artist. The only complaint I have with this album is the opener is a little boring. Other than that, unless my tastes shift or a lot of crazy shit comes out, this is a strong contender for my top 20 for the year. I am a shifty guy though, I haven't gotten laid in months, I've slept like 35 hours total over the past week and it's worsening my depression. And I have tests to take.

Fuckin college.

Best Track: Hands
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 03-21-2019 10:46 PM

Day 546: It Won't Be Like This All The Time by The Twilight Sad

This is the first shoegaze band I actually ever listened to thanks to my period of music discovery when the Nintendo DSi was still popular leading me to Sonic Youth, whom these guys ripped a cover from.

I also almost saw these guys live when they opened for The Cure, but didn't wanna shell out the money.

These guys sound exactly how I remember them sounding in 2010.

Best Track: The Arbor
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 03-23-2019 03:23 PM

Day 547: Ship-Scope / Plug and Delay / Rainstick / The Red Line by Shinichi Atobe (Album Choice: A bandmate of mine)

Warm, mellow, melancholic, rain, atmospheric, hypnotic, minimalistic, instrumental, nocturnal, urban, yup I'm too lazy to write anything so I just copied the RYM descriptors. I quite like this. I quite like this a lot. The second track is the worst here but everything is really, really good.

Best Track: The Red Line
Rating: 9/10

rayword45 03-25-2019 01:09 PM

Day 548: The Milk Of Human Kindness by Caribou
Quote:

Originally Posted by my stupid ass, stupid ass
This is gonna be the year of listening to artists I saw live years ago but never bothered listening to!

To add to that, let's call this "the year I listen to albums I listened to years ago, didn't think it deserved a review, forgot to rate it and welp here we are". This guy I remember I first listened to back in 2013! What a time distance. I didn't think it deserved a review back then, but these are less reviews nowadays and more just me shitting out a couple of opinions with occasionally some bad jokes or anecdotes and whatnot. In fact because my reviews have deteriorated so much this paragraph being this long makes it a better recent one! I keep doing it as a ratings/first impressions log I suppose. Anyways, I remember enjoying this album but less than Up In Flames.

There's something awfully jam bandy about the longer tracks here, and a bunch of the shorter tracks are corny. A few cuts like the opener are pretty good, most aren't.

I enjoyed this less than I remembered.

Best Track: Pelican Narrows
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 03-27-2019 07:13 PM

Day 549: Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery by The Comet Is Coming

I hate vector calculus more than I enjoyed this album.

Best Track: Blood Of The Past or Timewave Zero
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 04-2-2019 11:25 AM

Day 550: Tipped in Hugs / Dog Says Goodbye by Avey Tare

Technically, this is a single, but both of the songs are long as fuck and I've reviewed 2 song EPs of a similar length before. And besides, do you really care if I only review albums and EPs or whatever? IDK man I'm still tired as fuck I miss the first 2 years of college when academics were easy.

Tipped In Hugs is great, and I came into this expecting some annoying splatter-noodliness but got sweet psych folk pop instead. Dog Says Goodbye isn't really my cup of tea, but it's not annoying so yay! Both of these songs could really be trimmed down to, like, two-thirds.

I guess this is why I don't review singles.

Best Track: go fuck yourself schrader

Hateandhatred 04-2-2019 02:37 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

This thread title is updated.

Pls review the latest children of bodom album, I'm terrified to check it out.

aperson 04-3-2019 12:44 PM

K-RINO - Lightning Language

rayword45 04-4-2019 06:21 PM

Day 551: GREY Area by Little Simz

The melon hyped this up big time. I think it's decent. Best album of 2019? Let's watch the charts for the next two-thirds of a year.

Best Track: Selfish