Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 01-7-2019 01:52 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 522: Outer Peace by Toro Y Moi

Reviewing an early leak! Is it unethical? Maybe. Do I care? Nah. Last time I reviewed one of this guy's releases was 2013, back during that initial review challenge... ima go look back at that real quick.

That was awful. And it was 2015 actually.

Some of these production choices are a bit questionable. The "ahh ahh ahh"s in Freelance or some of the sound effects in Who Am I are just plain goofy-sounding, and bring the songs down a bit although not to the point of unpleasantness. Also, the last two tracks are basically trap songs, or rather dude's attempt to mix his style with trap, and neither are good.

Considering how samey this genre often is, I applaud the dude's attempt at genre and mood blending but it led to a pretty frontloaded album overall.

Best Track: Laws Of The Universe
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 01-8-2019 10:38 AM

I got banned from rym fo making a white people joke lolololololollolooool

Deadlyx39 01-8-2019 10:44 AM

RYM can’t appreciate the musical genius of one rayword45

Hateandhatred 01-8-2019 11:27 AM

This one. Got a blanket permission for FFR if any of you guys care!

rayword45 01-10-2019 12:54 AM

Day 523: Buoys by Panda Bear

Cranked and Master are the best cuts here. I also enjoyed Dolphin and Token, then the rest range from meh-to-agitating (a rarity, I didn't enjoy the opening track nor the title track). The vocal effects here are nowhere near as ethereal or as, well, necessary as Person Pitch and I feel I would've enjoyed a rawer approach more.

Still almost definitely better than an Avey Tare's solo work that I'm not gonna delve further into.

Best Track: Master
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 01-11-2019 06:50 PM

Day 524: Quantum Field by Pogo

The first two tracks are too good for the rest of the album, and most of the rest of the album is still decent

Best Track: Kaleidogorgon
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 01-13-2019 10:39 AM

Day 525: I Am > I Was by 21 Savage

The copy I have of this is very slightly misordered (is that's word? I'm not googling), putting the opener as the third track instead. I think I prefer it this way, mainly because the stupid-yet-infectious A&T works as a much better second track due to immediate juxtaposition while feeling oddly jarring placed as third.

Anyways, I came into this with supremely low expectations, but color me surprised, I actually enjoyed this more than Astroworld and Die Lit. Some tracks would benefit from a more aggressive delivery, but most fit his rapping style very well, and considering I actually somewhat enjoyed Childish Gambino's feature in Monster I feel obligated to say the features are great. Variety is indeed the spice of life.

There were some tracks I didn't enjoy, although strangely the banger attempts are more hit-or-miss than the more personal cuts, and some of the lyrics are ass-stupid ("I want you to suck me like you suckin' your thumb" what the fuck lol) but overall this is remarkably consistent without really getting boring.

I told yall 525 was gonna suck. Also I fucked up the capitalization.

Best Track: Monster or Ball Without You although I'd rather hear A&T in the club

rayword45 01-13-2019 12:18 PM

Day 526: New Generation by Saint Pepsi

Impulse hangover listen. Not very good. Doing this to save the score. I'm starting to think Prom King was a flash in the pan.

Best Track: ビッグバンの祭壇bangalter
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 01-18-2019 02:07 PM

Day 527: Bird Box by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

I have not watched this movie and will not until someone else forces me to watch it with them. I used to be BIG into Nine Inch Nails... when I was about 12, and now too much of their music either comes across as cringy to me or reminds me of cringe-ass 12 year old me. Some songs are good, usually the sex ones, but my favorite release of theirs nowadays is probably Ghosts I-IV as hit-or-miss as that one is. Based on the very little I remember of other soundtracks these two did (from watching the movies, like The Social Network and...) this should be right up my alley.

Is Sleep Deprivation supposed to be a redux of that crying song in Twin Peaks? You know the one. I swear some of the progressions are near identical matchups.

I was about to try and write an actually good review but nah this album really doesn't deserve it. Meh.

Best Track: What Isn't Anymore
Rsting: 5/10

PixlSM 01-19-2019 02:49 PM

hey now I know im not the only one who thinks Ghosts I-IV is their best album

rayword45 01-21-2019 12:08 PM

Day 528: Malibu Ken by Malibu Ken

Within 5 seconds of playing the album, one can immediately tell that this is Tobacco making the beats due to his distinctive style, although for the most part he uses a greater amount of restraint and lower amount of overdubs which makes the whole thing sound nice and simple in some places, empty in others.

Acid King has the best lyrics on the album. Suicide Big Gulp has the best flow on the album. Although the flow is something that seems to have changed very little, the last Aesop Rock release I reviewed was a lot more... impenetrable with the words chosen, but the beats were not nearly as weird, which I care about more.

Overall, I definitely like this one. Some parts are weaker than others and I think that the Black Moth Super Rainbow guy went a bit too restrained, but this is an enjoyable, concise album with fresh approaches.

Best Track: Tuesday or Sword Box
Rating: 7.5/10

Crazyjayde 01-22-2019 12:45 PM

Good shit

rayword45 01-23-2019 08:05 PM

Day 529: Landloper by Little People

Running through the new releases of people I reviewed years prior is probably gonna be a theme for the year. This is perfectly pleasant, perfectly run-of-the-mill trip hop, or whatever genre it actually is I don't care.

Best Track: How To Navigate
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 01-28-2019 04:17 PM

Day 530: Nothing Is Something by Tree & Vic Spencer

The Bass was briefly a contender for my favorite cut on this album, then the countdown hook took me out of it.

Other than that minor quibble (am I old now? or is that more a hipstery word?) I have nothing to complain about. This is very consistent, the perfect length, very well-produced and very well-ordered. The mood variance is subtle, but I think it's enough for this kinda project.

Best Track: Lucifer Callin or Spotify Playlist
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 02-4-2019 12:57 PM

Day 532: Weezer [Teal Album] by Weezer

Best Track: Fuck you
Rating: 1.5/10

rayword45 02-6-2019 05:34 PM

Day 532: Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared? by Deerhunter

I've listened to this album 3 times now. I KNOW these are good, well-written songs. Unfortunately, I just don't feel hooked or interested by the majority of it. And what makes it more agitating for me is that there are plenty of really cool bits here, so why don't I love this album?

I don't love this album.

Best Track: The ending of Nocturne is the best thing I've ever heard from this band.

rayword45 02-10-2019 06:34 PM

Day 533: Ill Considered 5 by Ill Considered

This is my kinda jazz. Good smoky stuff although it's a bit frontloaded. Back to the study grind.

Best Track: Observant
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 02-15-2019 10:06 AM

Day 534: VLA by Carbon Based Lifeforms

I like these guys but this particular album has been on my phone for like 6 yesrs without me ever listening to it.

It's very different and not as good ss their other works, but pleasant enough. The little subtle changes in the drone lulled me to sleep in a noisy ass car quite well can't ask for more

Best Track: google it
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 02-15-2019 02:10 PM

Day 535: Girl With Basket Of Fruit by Xiu Xiu (Album Choice: mad people I know)

Starts out pretty interesting, maintains a pretty interesting atmosphere afterwards for a while with a few errors, by The Wrong Thing I was starting to lose interest, then I really enjoyed the last two tracks. With the exception of strangely cathartic closer Normal Love (which ALMOST fits its title compared to the rest of these "songs") I think the more cluttered it is the better it is, other than the campy Mary Turner Mary Turner (Amargi Ve Moo) also made me groan.

This would make for either a horrendous or a wonderful live show.

Best Track: Scissors with extra "s"'s or the one with the long pumpkin title

rayword45 02-15-2019 04:28 PM

Day 536: Electric Lady Sounds by LCD Soundsystem

Why are these songs so long? And these guys aren't as good as Talking Heads. About half of these are good cuts worthy of dancing. Also whenever there's that dopey trying to pretend to be Ian Curtis trying to pretend to be Jim Morrison, that's also annoying.

Best Track: Home