Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 12-11-2018 08:44 PM

Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 491: Darlène by Hubert Lenoir (Album Choice: MarioNintendo)

When this first came on, for some reason Japanese music came to mind, especially Nintendo music (okay no pun intended seriously I didn't even realize who recommended this album until I finished this review), even though the vocals are blatantly French minus a few English songs.

The upbeat tracks are not to my liking, coming off as a bit too glammy and cheesy (seriously, why the fuck did they use generic horn sound on Ton hôtel? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?), but the chiller lounge tracks like Recommencer, Darlène, darling and Wild and Free are pretty.

I dunno why I expected something like Gainsbourg, but I barely got it and I'm disappointed as a result. Not terrible but probably not gonna be on my year-end list unless subsequent relistens reveal something new to me.

Best Track: Excluding the slower tracks, Cent-treizième rue is quite fun
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-11-2018 09:41 PM

Day 492: The World Within by Josh Pan (Album Choice: dashoe93)

Why does every fucking 2018 list have new Low and Arctic Monkeys albums on them? Are these bands really dropping shit that's good enough to justify their ranking on these lists, both in comparison to all the fresh artists and in comparison to their past work? I don't dare to find out.

Anyways, to this EP! This guy is part of 88rising, which I've never listened to but I know too many fuckin Asian chicks love. The first song sounds awfully AnCo-esque but a bit less cluttered. Actually, that basically describes the whole EP, with a bit more influence from modern EDM like Flume or something, and some old school house (The beat of Take Your Time sounds an awful lot like it was sampled from Short Circuit) and future funk like Skylar Spence.

Perfectly pleasant with no bad or grating tracks, but not phenomenal. Also some of these lyrics are dumb.

Best Track: Overdue
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 12-12-2018 12:54 PM

Day 493: Whack World by Tierra Whack

Is this the year of the sub-30 minute hip-hop album? Of course it is that ain't even a question lol.

This album consists of 15 one-minute tracks. That combined with the title made me expect something akin to JPEGMAFIA, but where that felt like a deconstruction of soundcloud rap this feels more in line with other soundcloud rap, other than the shortness of the tracks. Certainly far less abrasive and experimental on the whole.

Most of these snippets are good and catchy minus a few actually awful tracks like the weirdly twangy Fuck Off, but therein lies the problem. The last album I remember listening to with the same gimmick was The Residents' Commercial Album, but there there felt like MORE of a reason for the gimmick, and trying the same "loop it 3 times" trick does nothing for me, not that that was the point. And comparing this to something like Some Rap Songs these tracks feel WAY less developed.

Enjoyable but underwhelming.

Best Track: Sore Loser
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 12-12-2018 03:57 PM

Day 494: Safe in the Hands of Love by Yves Tumor

This second track kinda sounds like Tri Repetae-era Autechre.

Once again my expectations turned out to be mismatched. I expected something borderline Godspeed-esque, probably due to the artwork, but thankfully this isn't quite as bombastic minus a few tracks like the ending, instead shifting through dance-y shit and psychedelic pop. Hope in Suffering is goofy as fuck, why did he include that?

I wanted to write more but I've listened to this three times now and I should focus on studying.

Best Track: Honesty
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 12-12-2018 09:22 PM

Day 495: Hive Mind by The Internet

I still love Ego Death and Syd is easily the third best member of Odd Future by consistency (although Tyler could prove himself if he stays consistent). Steve Lacy is pretty cool too.

Nothing about this album is really that different from their last release, but based on what I've heard about their earliest work that's a good thing. The only downside is that nothing here is nearly as perfect a pop song as Curse still is.

Tyler don't fuck your career up.

Best Track: Come Over

rayword45 12-12-2018 10:04 PM

Day 496: Be The Cowboy by Mitski

This was Pitchfork's number one album of the year. Does anyone still care about Pitchfork? Yeah, I thought not. Pretty sure that entire base either got old or started watching the melon instead.

The stretch from A Pearl to Pink In The Night is fucking great, like I'm actually impressed that there was not a single minute in there that I was bored. Even Lonesome Love, which is the kind of "I wanna be country now" track that I usually hate, is a burst of pleasure after the shaky first 30 seconds.

I really didn't come into this with high expectations, but I have no real reason for that other than contrarianism. Or maybe anti-Asian racism (Kero Kero Bonito can suck my dick). Regardless, this is a GREAT album. It lulls a bit at the beginning and at the end both, but that middle stretch is incredibly danceable and joyous. She really should avoid the spare piano dirges and just stick to the more lush, upbeat style the majority of this album covers. VERY surprised, this might end up on my end of year list.

Best Track: A Pearl
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 12-13-2018 12:25 AM

Day 497: Karma 2 by Dave East (Album Choice: Z.S)

Y'know, I've never listened to a Migos album in full, and this album is a good example why. It's literally one-third the length and I still felt totally drained by the end. Maybe because it's almost 2AM? IDK. Good lyrics, other than that this is a run-of-the-mill hit-or-miss trap project.

Best Track: man i'm fucking tired
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 12-16-2018 02:08 AM

Day 498: Wide Awaaaaake! by Parquet Courts

AWFUL title. The more traditional punk tracks that make up most of the first half are fun, although the lyrics do nothing for me. The weird experimental pop tracks that make up most of the second half are hit-or-miss. I don't get the hype.

Best Track: Back To Earth

rayword45 12-16-2018 07:55 AM

Day 499: Crumbling by Mid-Air Thief (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

Been a while since I listened to one of your recs, hasn't it? Maybe, I'm not really sure. And it looks like 2018 will be the first year in years that I delve heavier into Japan-people music and actually enjoy myself. Just kidding, this is a KOREAN album, and I know almost nothing about Korean music other than how utterly horrific their K-Pop industry is. Good thing I don't like that sugary crap anyways.

This is basically the opposite of what I perceive K-Pop to be moodwise, in that it's incredibly subdued, lo-fi and hazy. There are energetic moments for sure, but they're always under a thick layer of fuzz and static. Basically, this is just psychedelic folk with some extra electronics on top, somewhat reminiscent of an earlier Animal Collective EP (boy I reference those fools a lot, don't I?) but... less bad and less wanky. Here you get frequent juxtapositions between slow acoustics and groovy, sparkly electronics, and despite not understanding a damn word these people are saying I found it to be pretty coherent and flow very well overall.

My only remaining comment is does this really count as "Folktronica" because I don't think this would be considered electronica in any other circumstance, man whatever that's a shitty name for a genre.

Best: Curve and Light
Rating: 8/10

aperson 12-16-2018 01:22 PM

do 4 minute EPs count?

DJ Madd - Booty Wine

Crazyjayde 12-16-2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4662674)
My only remaining comment is does this really count as "Folktronica" because I don't think this would be considered electronica in any other circumstance, man whatever that's a shitty name for a genre.

Anything -tronica really just is an umbrella term, a poorly named umbrella term for sure, but way less outrageous than tagging it glitch pop.

But yeah it's been a while I haven't recced something, although I hardly ever do anymore, maybe exclusively when discussing music IRL even, but hey I'm still keeping track of everything you write on here, and actually came around to appreciating your hazy posting, cause fuck college. Just realized you had an RYM account also. I've got a 2018 list on there if you care or I can always throw some picks here and bother noname for some of his too. Share for share I guess we're always looking for something fresh.

rayword45 12-18-2018 03:09 PM

Day 500: Twin Fantasy (New Version) by Car Seat Headrest (Album Choice: noname219)

This band never really did it for me, and I'm not gonna be listening to both versions side by side, at least not yet. Maybe at the beginning of 2019 I'll do a comparison review, but in the meantime I'm too busy cramming this goddamn math bullshit.

Why are these songs so fucking long? High To Death is nearly 8 minutes, a good quarter of it is dead space, and it's only the third longest song here! Other than that, this basically sounds like Weezer to me except with more fu- I mean "indie" flair. It's not atrocious nor is it amazing to me, and it's about half hit half miss working for time, although by SONG it probably has a slightly better hit rate.

What a disappointing 500th review lol I'm not putting in more work, I'll do a better one for 525 to make up for this lack of writing quality.

Best Track: Sober To Death

rayword45 12-18-2018 03:15 PM

Day 501: Booty Wine by DJ Madd (Album Choice: aperson)

I just saw what Booty Wine actually means and that's pretty fucking rape-y. Song is enjoyable enough, though I don't particularly dig the sample.

Best Track: There's only one song here

PixlSM 12-18-2018 04:41 PM

Why would you subject yourself to the shitty version of twin fantasy

rayword45 12-19-2018 03:40 PM

Day 502: Die Lit by Playboi Carti

The other day some dude complained on RateYourMusic about how at trap shows they often only play 45-90 seconds of each track instead of the whole thing.

This album is a fantastic argument as to why that's a good thing. Better beat choice than ever but I swear all Carti can muster up the energy to do is exist on a beat. Also fuck Nicki Minaj.

Best Track: Fell In Luv followed by Shoota

rayword45 12-21-2018 04:28 PM

Day 503: Joy As An Act Of Resistance by Idles

It's pretty good.

Best Track: Never Fight A Man With A Perm

rayword45 12-22-2018 05:02 PM

Day 504: Twisted Crystal by Guerilla Toss

I saw that the melon put this on his top 50 for the year after dissing their old style. That makes me mad because their old style was so much better.

This isn't a BAD album, it's pretty decent, but I usually expect better from this band since I've been a fan for so long by my lifetime standards. Half of these songs are great, especially the ones that harken slightly back to their older shit with fucked up structures and atonal riffs, but a bunch of songs just feel too cutesy and obnoxious, like whose idea was the dumb surf rock guitar line in Come Up With Me? And Jesus Rabbit has to have the most glaringly dumb lyrics I've heard from this band that sang about cigarettes and candy sex in the past. It's not the poppiest songs or the noisiest, most experimental songs that annoy me, but the ones that sit on that lame in-between where something just seems to be screaming "look how quirky we are!"

I want a full album of Smack The Brick-style cuts and I won't be happy until I get it. I'm super glad I got to see these guys live during their noisier era, I wonder if their shows are as good nowadays.

Best Track: Hacking Machine

Jonlovesddr 12-23-2018 02:05 AM

u got to get on the album: Louis Cole - Time

rayword45 12-26-2018 08:49 PM

Day 505: Approximately 1​,​000 Beers by Jeff Witscher (Album Choice: Well, nobody really, but my friend decided to try a random album off the TinyMixTapes year end list and said "I need hard drugs to understand this" so I decided to give it a shot)

I need hard drugs to understand this.

If this is intended to be a serious art piece... what the fuck? If this is just bullshitting around, I found some parts chuckle-worthy, and some of the more chopped and screwed tracks have an interesting atmosphere to it.

But in general... man, what is going on at the TinyMixTapes offices?

Best Track: You Gave Me The Keys
Rating: 3.5/10

rayword45 12-26-2018 09:56 PM

Day 506: Venetian Snares x Daniel Lanois by Venetian Snares & Daniel Lanois

Lazy album title. Better artwork. The first three tracks are banging and the last track is gorgeous. The rest kinda bore me, although 5 is decent.

Best Track: United P92