Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Writing and Literature (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What book are you currently reading? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=145581)

The-DDR-Philosopher 09-25-2016 02:31 AM

What book are you currently reading?

The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss

I love philosophy but I felt I had to learn more about business in order to create more time for my book list. Great content so far, a highly appraised best seller among book readers.

Now it's your turn. What are you currently reading?

Arntonach 09-25-2016 03:13 AM

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Armada by Ernest Cline. Well not really, I'm just saying I'm reading it since my sister got it for me for my birthday last month. I was gonna get it for her birthday but instead I got her Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call, which I've been playing a lot of lately.

Okay, so who's next?

supermoe1985 09-25-2016 03:25 AM

Ghostman by Roger Hobbs, one of those books that's hard to put down because there is a plot twist at the end of every chapter, but it's really well written so far.

Callipygian 09-25-2016 05:27 AM

Jonatham Lethem's 'The Fortress of Solitude'. A beautifully written novel about a white kid growing up in a largely black and latino neighborhood. This book is suffused with music and comics references, good stuff.

Travis_Flesher 09-25-2016 08:05 AM

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
Despite being boring as hell and riddled with sexist and nouveu riche cliches had such good sentence, paragraph, and chapter structure that it was a good read.

Renrane 09-25-2016 08:32 AM

Good timing with this thread. I am not much of a book reader until now. I am going to tell a story.

Just earlier, my family and I went to a book store because my sister's such a book lover, she always buys and reads books. So after my sister bought her book, my parents just added in and said to me to try to read books like her. So they let me pick out any book. Yeah, so why not read books for a change, I thought to myself.

I saw this book called "Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami. It really caught my eye because it's somehow Japanese-y. You know, because I like anime, Japan and such. Also the cover, I liked it. I then, looked at the back of the book and read the stuff written there and then yeah, I liked it. It had this anime kind of feel.

I am about to read this book and embark on an adventure. I am hyped for this change. I am actually going to read a book. This is my first "book". This is my first time I am going to fully read a book and enjoy it.

I wrote this on my phone, at a coffee shop.

devonin 09-25-2016 09:09 AM

I'm re-reading 'The Way of Kings' by Brandon Sanderson because I've been sitting on "Words of Radiance" the second book, for months and months. I read 'The Way of Kings' like 4 or 5 years ago, and being a 1200-page monstrosity of a book, could barely remember anything about the story so figured I ought to do a re-read.

SpaceGorilla 09-25-2016 11:05 AM

currently reading War and Peace by Ct. Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (or Leo Tolstoy if you're not from 17th century Russia)

it's a great read so far, ~100 pages in; lots of character development

10/10 would recommend if you can read it

botchi246 09-25-2016 11:17 AM

Mercury and Prometheans by Ben Bova

lofty rhino 09-25-2016 01:34 PM

De Occulta Philosophia Libri Tres by Henry Cornelius Agrippa

sweet2kill210 10-26-2016 03:25 AM

"The Color of Magic" by Terry Pratchett. His Discworld series was recommended to me by a coworker after I asked about any good fantasy books and mentioned that I liked Douglas Adam's (à la The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series) humor. It's pretty funny so far and I like it. :)

Travis_Flesher 10-26-2016 05:46 AM

I am currently reading "Persuader" by Lee Child.
The Washington Post says it's a 'skillful blend of sex...spies...suspense and nonstopaction.'
Los Angeles Times Book Review says "A page-turner...Child's tale drives hard and fast."
The Denver Post says "Gripping and suspenseful... Child ratchets up the suspense to new heights."
Orlando Sentinel says "Wickedly addictive...so fast-paced it makes the eyeballs spin."
in reality the book is whack as fuk though

botchi246 10-26-2016 12:30 PM

solomon's curse by clive cussler

axith 10-26-2016 06:14 PM

I have "bringing out the best in people" by alan loy mcginnis in front of me right now. "Start with why" -simon sinic and campassionate capitalism are on my end table at home and copies of the new yorker are next to my bed because i like the short stories in them. Not much fiction, but thats what im reading.

hi19hi19 10-26-2016 08:44 PM

I currently have open in front of me "A Mathematical Introduction to Logic, Third Edition" by Herbert Enderton. It's a gripping read, really, for anyone who enjoys themes such as a rigorous proofs in the predicate calculus. The Compactness Theorem is my favorite character.

Blackskull305 11-20-2019 07:48 PM

The Rational Male by Rollo Tomassi.

Kawaii025 11-22-2019 08:13 PM

Stock Investing for Dummies

DaBackpack 11-22-2019 08:28 PM

Finally going through Paradise Lost. Satan is the GOAT

M0nkeyz 12-17-2019 07:53 AM

Reading ''God Knows'' by Joseph Heller.

robertsona 09-17-2020 12:37 AM

ernest hemingway - to have and have not

HBar 09-17-2020 01:12 AM

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's set in mythic Saxon England, when the land was mostly wild and people could still encounter ogres or other dangerous creatures. It's set in a town where there's a kind of collective perpetual amnesia, where their memories are all fragmented and dreamlike and fade quickly over time. People rarely agree about what happened in the years or months or weeks past, when they speak about the past at all. The protagonists are an older couple about to embark on an important journey to their son's village, but they don't remember why it's important or how to get there.

WirryWoo 09-17-2020 08:44 AM

Currently reading "Algorithms to Live By" by Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths. Great book so far!

Travis_Flesher 09-17-2020 11:10 AM

ShurykaN 09-17-2020 11:58 PM

超神机械师 by 齐佩甲

James Somers 09-22-2020 07:11 AM

Now I am reading A. Dumas "Glaf of Monte Cristo", the second volume. For the last month, the desire to read has returned, I try to read as much as possible. The novel is very interesting and exciting.

DaBackpack 09-22-2020 01:59 PM

Read Ben Franklin's Autobiography today. Dude was a fuckin badass. Way more integrity than most of the other Founding Fathers

mkxc3 09-22-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShurykaN (Post 4743082)
超神机械师 by 齐佩甲

Oh wow, this sounds really interesting from what I've read, might try it :o
The english title is The Legendary Mechanic if anyone's curious

angine 02-18-2021 11:27 AM

The Giver, by Lois Lowry, I rated 5/5 stars. This book surprised me, I didn't expect it to be that good! It makes you be grateful for the life we have, the world we're living in

Ubaldo King 03-19-2021 12:22 PM

I start reading Ulysses by Irish writer James Joyce. I tried to read this modernist novel several times already, but the maximum reached the third chapter. This is a personal challenge for me that I want to overcome. I use various commentaries on this novel that allow me to wade through a very complex modernist text. At the moment I am also in college and I have to do various homework assignments there. For the last few weeks, I have very big problems with math and it is difficult for me to concentrate on doing math homework, so I turn to the service https://assignmentbro.com/us/math-assignment-help for help, which helps me to professionally complete certain tasks. This allows me to focus on the subjects that I like the most, including foreign literature.

DaBackpack 03-19-2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubaldo King (Post 4757521)
I start reading Ulysses by Irish writer James Joyce. I tried to read this modernist novel several times already, but the maximum reached the third chapter. This time I want to read to the end, no matter how long it takes me.

Good luck King, it's a journey.

Are you using an annotated guide or just going in raw?

EDIT: Finally got around to reading The Conquest of Bread this week. Required leftist reading

Travis_Flesher 03-19-2021 07:30 PM

"Switch Bitch" by Roald Dahl.

Wiosna 03-20-2021 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4757539)
EDIT: Finally got around to reading The Conquest of Bread this week. Required leftist reading

It is very good.

Outside of textbooks and some philosophy texts, I'm currently reading Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.

XCV 03-20-2021 09:04 PM

Xenogenesis/Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler.

Also checking out Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō, which is super wholesome so far.

Dorby 10-8-2021 02:23 PM

I've actually recently gotten back into reading myself, and have gone through quite a few books, but as far as right now, it is :

- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
- The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

ToonE156 10-8-2021 06:40 PM

Warrior Cats Book 5

Wiosna 10-9-2021 04:44 AM

currently rereading Georg Simmel's The Metropolis and Mental Life and Walter Benjamin's The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction because those shaped how I saw things for a long time, still very impactful reads for me so far

Aleran 03-7-2022 12:34 PM

I’m working on 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I’m like a quarter of the way in but it’s intriguing so far.

ToonE156 03-7-2022 03:54 PM

Yesterday I finished the first ark of Warrior Cats. I gotta say, its bussin

MixMasterLar 03-7-2022 04:18 PM

Been reading Satoru Iwata's posthumous collection Ask Iwata which is basically just what's been available online for years but collected in an actual book.

Also been reading the Berserk Deluxe volumes as they've been releasing.

Kinda been a hot minute since I read a novel

Tantive72 03-7-2022 04:52 PM

I finished Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen and now I'm reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë for one of my college literature classes.

Zageron 04-20-2022 12:39 PM

The Wandering Inn
https://wanderinginn.neocities.org/statistics.html
https://wanderinginn.com/

It's the literal best.

(I also read other things but TWI easily takes up 6 hours a week of my reading time. So like a 1/4th?)

Currently reading
The High Mountain Court
(The Five Crowns of Okrith #1)

Trashy witch + fae + horny.

FirstMaple8 04-21-2022 10:17 AM

harry potter (all of em)

MarioNintendo 04-26-2022 08:23 PM

Animorphs

BibliophilicMind 05-5-2022 03:33 PM

I'm a book reviewer, ARC reader, and Beta reader. As of right now, I have 9 books going. They're:

Entangled by Lilly K. Cee
Chasing the Darkness by Cassie Sanchez
The Sweet Shrub Inn by Hilah Roscoe
10 Dates by Bridget Van Der Eyk
Blood Thinners by Heather Novak
Vows & Villainy by Darby Cupid
Vile Intuition by Em Torrey
Mental Health High by D.N. Kris