Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Simulator Files (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   HADES [RELEASED!] (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=149946)

Celebelian 09-30-2018 10:16 AM

HADES [RELEASED!]

There was a pack here, it's gone now.

DourGent 09-30-2018 11:31 AM

Re: HADES [RELEASED!]

Camellia 🤢

riktoi 09-30-2018 11:59 AM

good gfx okay attempts at cartography

Celebelian 09-30-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DourGent (Post 4650423)
Camellia 🤢

I actually didn't know Camellia was so popular when I started working on this, definitely felt a bit dirty after uncovering the truth.

PixlSM 09-30-2018 02:03 PM

much better than most "first pack"s from the past 2 years or so
thoughts for each file here:
https://pastebin.com/xkUE3YtW

overall advice that applies to pretty much the whole pack:
stop filling in random js
pay more attention to what the percussion and melody are actually doing

PixlSM 09-30-2018 02:06 PM

also the song choice makes me want to shoot myself

Celebelian 09-30-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixlSM (Post 4650439)
advice

Thanks a million for the in depth review, I didn't expect that. :)
I guess I became blind to some of the more glaring issues after staring at these simfiles for so long.
Looks like I'm due for some more tweaking and a re-release eventually!

DourGent 09-30-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celebelian (Post 4650444)
re-release eventually!

Not something I'd recommend. Best to move on and just make your files from after the pack better than before

WTFBrandon 09-30-2018 06:29 PM

Hmm, looking into this

EDIT:
I tried all of these on Challenge difficulty and didn't bother w Heavy.

1: Extremely overstepped.
2: Soon as the drop hit and I saw stream I quit.
3: I don't like being critical but hands/jumps/singles shouldn't all go to the same sounds. That's what makes them hands/jumps/singles.
4: Big potential here also as i'm normally a fan of songs like this. I am not a fan of hold stream though. More because I can't do it :( Also leaves out a lot of technical things you can do with the song since you're basically turning a 4 key song into a 3 key song which is already a small amount of keys as it is.
5: Hard to step files like these. Got bored very quickly.

I then noticed all the songs were long or marathon so I picked out the songs that sounded as they would be steppable.

10: Okay this wasn't TERRIBLE as this file has a TON of potential. I highly recommend saving this file for when you're a bit more experienced in stepping and giving this a go because this could easily be a 10/10 file.
Amazing song choice but the actual file needs a lot of tweaking. Seems like you threw a lot of random notes around since it was going too fast. Slow down and take your time! It's not a rush :)

13: I saw Camellia so I thought i'd give it a shot but got bored too quickly.

OK, as a first pack it's not bad but also not good. I'll give you bonus marks since my first files were jokes compared to these. Then again I was 15 at the time and thought it was a good idea to try to step Angel of Death by Slayer as a first song... whoops

Please, please don't try forcing files to be fun by adding random notes. Random streams or whatever won't make a cool song fun.
To be honest not just speaking for myself a lot of players enjoy short, fun to play files. If you like a song but the song drags on for a very long time before a fun part... cut those parts out and focus on the fun, nobody likes waiting. Imagine you're at a theme park and you have to wait to get on the roller coaster for 1 hour then when you finally get on the ride it only takes 2-3 minutes and it's done. Yeah, don't do that with files, lmao.
If these songs were cut down to 2 minutes it would be a lot easier to focus on making quality files but also keeping the song fun and re-playable.
I agree with PixlSM with the song choices as more of them are extremely difficult or almost impossible to make into a fun file. I think 2 songs out of the whole 14 I could see being fun files if done correctly.
That was a huge problem here... me getting bored before the fun part of the file. Learn to cut files and take a longer time constructing patterns to make them feel better and just overall make the file more enjoyable to play.
-Audacity is a fantastic audio cutting tool for beginners
The reason I didn't like most of the songs was because it's just hard to step jcore. Most jcore songs don't make fun files. The song choice is what killed it tbh.

As for a re-release. I also don't recommend that. Keep this the way it is and maybe work on 1-2 files from this for a future date. Even if most of these songs were stepped to perfection they wouldn't be fun.
75% of the battle is finding something worth stepping. Actually stepping something fun after that is the easy part.
Good luck bud!

Celebelian 10-1-2018 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFBrandon (Post 4650465)
advice

Hey thank you so much for the feedback! I definitely agree with what you've said here. Funny enough I've cut a few songs in here using Audacity ;) I tried to keep everything as short as possible without making it awkward, but yeah the song choice wasn't the easiest to work with in the end.

WTFBrandon 10-1-2018 02:24 PM

I personally wish we could step j-core as I love the genre. Just doesn't make for the best files sadly :(
If anything we could always do a collab on that file 10 if you'd like ;)
(i've already started)

Celebelian 10-1-2018 02:46 PM

I would actually be very interested in seeing your take on that file. :)
A collab sounds interesting for sure, here's my Discord if want to talk: bryll#0746

Deidara837 10-1-2018 10:30 PM

Will prob look at a couple of these in the future since I'm a fan of MNK
Just from first impressions of the songs though Walkure has a shitload of reused stuff from Niebelungen lmao goddammit genki