Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums

Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   WAP (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=152223)

DaBackpack 08-12-2020 09:50 PM

Re: WAP
 
all I hear in this thread is "waah me no like pussy stank ��"

mi40 08-12-2020 09:59 PM

Re: WAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4740255)
all I hear in this thread is "waah me no like pussy stank ��"

people love the smell of money more than pussy stank. that's a guarantee.

Gradiant 08-12-2020 10:01 PM

Re: WAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4740255)
all I hear in this thread is "waah me no like pussy stank ��"

We've already got Cupcakke for that though

mi40 08-12-2020 10:31 PM

Re: WAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradiant (Post 4740257)
We've already got Cupcakke for that though

nobody can beat cupcakke on the dirtyness


sweet2kill210 08-12-2020 10:49 PM

Re: WAP
 
Unpopular opinion here but I love it and think she has undeniably good flow. While I like songs to have meaning and depth to them there are also times where I just wanna turn the brain off and listen to something that flows well or something that gets me pumped. Sometimes I want Mozart, other times I want goreshit. Sometimes I want Mos Def or MF Doom, other times I want "trash" like Cardi B. :P

Mahou 08-12-2020 11:04 PM

Re: WAP
 
For today’s standards, it’s a hit. Its the age where you’ll hear more songs where women are glorifying using their body to obtain the bag (I.e only fans).

mellonxcollie 08-12-2020 11:36 PM

Re: WAP
 
I was so fucking confused at first cause I saw posts about it before I realized it was a song, I thought it was a new term for white people like WASPs but slightly different somehow??

anyways personally I don't care for the song but sometimes songs can take a while to grow on me, so maybe i'll give it another listen once the hype dies down. never gonna complain about another bad bitch anthem being put into the world tho

mi40 08-12-2020 11:41 PM

Re: WAP
 
non productive member of society anthem

Funnygurl555 08-13-2020 12:15 AM

Re: WAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4740265)
I was so fucking confused at first cause I saw posts about it before I realized it was a song, I thought it was a new term for white people like WASPs but slightly different somehow??

same

anyways time to give my hot(tm) take

so the song is significant not for the content but the controversy surrounding it.

as etienne already mentioned, sexually explicit songs are nothing new, when sung by men or women. but there's two things here that stand out: the song is more explicit than other sexual songs by contemporary artists (e.g. anaconda by nicki minaj, whistle by flo rida (ew)) and the song and the accompanying music video portray women as in charge of their sexuality and dominant over their partners (who we'd assume are men). music today is indeed very sexist, and women-- especially black women-- are often objectified.

we then have the music video which o n l y includes women, predominately black of all shades. an exception is kylie jenner, which i think is an interesting inclusion. she is very much white but her and her family have been accused over the years of co-opting black culture for money and fame. some think she shouldn't have been in the video at all, as her presence is detracting from the attention that cardi b and megan thee stallion should have instead. i don't know what to think of it, really. we also see normani at the end of the video who is talented af and let's us know it, but she's spoken out about racism in the music industry before (edit: and has not seen the meteoric rise in her career that she deserves). her music video "motivation" was also criticized as sexual when, really, it was pretty modest compared to other music videos when we think about it. why is that?

when people decry this song, they call it trashy. specifically, trashy. that's not the wording we use when a male singer makes a sexually explicit song, or when a woman is sexualized in a male singer's music video... or when a white or white passing woman makes a sexually explicit music video. i think this points towards the intersection of racism and sexism in both the music industry and in society as a whole.

and that's why i love this song. it's also a b o p

DaBackpack 08-13-2020 02:10 AM

Re: WAP
 
I think funnygurl hit the nail on the head there

Women are constantly fucking objectified in the music industry, and in the "entertainment" business, period. So you might say, "what's so special about this song, it's still objectifying women"

I'd reply--- "for who?"

Historically the objectification of women has always been in the service of the male audience, a phenomenon called the "male gaze." Sex sells, you mighta heard about that. Sells to who? To men, duh.

Objectification in and of itself isn't strictly a bad thing. It's not bad to want to feel sexy, attractive, or desirable, even if those desires are a result of sexist societal conditioning. It's also not "regressive" for women to be open about sexual experiences and preferences, even though Western society has this inherently contradictory desire for women to be sex objects but also to... not have sex.

If a song utilizes objectification but also comes directly from the female experience, who the fuck am I to criticize that as a form of expression, of reclamation, of self-love? The remedy to "men objectify women" doesn't have to be to literally police ALL raunchy objectification and self-expression; if anything, that reinforces the male domination of the sexual woman.

To reiterate, the problem with sexual objectification is that men use it to belittle the personhood of women. "Women are a prize", "women will want you if you buy XYZ", "you are entitled to one (1) woman to have sex with." That is clearly wrong. But to deny women the ability to talk candidly about sex is only doing the sexist power structures a favor.

Gradiant 08-13-2020 08:56 AM

Re: WAP
 
Unpopular opinion, don't @ me:
I think people tend to put more weight towards whether or not an artist or the people in the music video are POC or a women rather than if the song is actually 'good'. I'd call this song trashy, not mainly because of the content (I actually enjoy listening to shit like 'my neck, my back' or cupcakke, whether it's their actual songs or the mashups with pop songs that are all over youtube), but because I think its just trash in general. The song to me is just incredibly boring, and pairing that with it coming from an also incredibly overrated artist AND a small bit if it being sex for sex's sake, I just really don't like this song. Unfortunately because of the first line of this post, generally if people don't like songs like this its seen as it because of the person being racist or sexist rather than not liking it because it's boring af

Bolth mannn 08-13-2020 09:31 AM

Re: WAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4740249)
thank you for entertaining my rants, cardi b i have no actual opinion of but my previous housemate blasted cardi b all the time at 0500 AM right before i got up for the stock market so i'm inclined to dislike their music.

whatever this bit is that you're doing, i'm a huge fan, keep it up

EtienneSM 08-13-2020 09:45 AM

Re: WAP
 
Gonna be honest, still don't see how this song stands out. Ashnikko, CupcakKe, Janelle Monae, and probably like a ton of other female artists have all expressed similar themes like this song to some degree. Just because it's slightly more raunchy and honest doesn't separate it that much, and I just felt no more than neutral about it.

Frankly, I don't care to entertain the conversation in this thread because I just see nothing different in this song that hasn't already been expressed and probably never will, but if someone wants to take it to DM's, I'm always down for a convo

ledwix 08-13-2020 09:52 AM

Re: WAP
 
Women objectify themselves, because they know it is to their advantage. Similarly, this video displays such. It displays sexual objectification for massive monetary gain, without any virtue or display of moral clarity.

That is the great irony of proclaiming it as "culturally significant." It still comes down to them wh0ring themselves out rather than doing anything of any productive utility. It still comes down to some man somewhere toiling away for potentially hundreds or thousands of hours, producing for society, in order to pay her tuition "for a kiss."

There is no "sexist power structure." Society is the collection of individual decisions made. Don't blame society, blame yourself. It cuts far deeper than the "Western society = bad" memes propagated by professors. This is evolutionary principle at play here.

Women are free to shave their heads, dress like guys, and act stoic, since guys will turn away from them more often or assume they are gay.

But most choose not to, because every decision has consequences, and most women have judged the advantages as worth it. That's largely because when you live as a man, no one chases you around competing to give you free stuff. Your comfort isn't even an entity of consideration. Your value is not innate, but vested in your continued ability to toil away, skillfully working hard to produce a result. Your value is in your talents, not in simply existing.

So most women like to be a prize; not a mere prize, but at LEAST a prize. There's nothing wrong with that, as you might as well use every advantage you have.

mi40 08-13-2020 10:13 AM

Re: WAP
 
me: shy girls are actually really nice and innocent :smile:
the shy girl: :twisted:

choof 08-13-2020 10:35 AM

Re: WAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledwix (Post 4740283)
Women objectify themselves, because they know it is to their advantage. Similarly, this video displays such. It displays sexual objectification for massive monetary gain, without any virtue or display of moral clarity.

That is the great irony of proclaiming it as "culturally significant." It still comes down to them wh0ring themselves out rather than doing anything of any productive utility. It still comes down to some man somewhere toiling away for potentially hundreds or thousands of hours, producing for society, in order to pay her tuition "for a kiss."

There is no "sexist power structure." Society is the collection of individual decisions made. Don't blame society, blame yourself. It cuts far deeper than the "Western society = bad" memes propagated by professors. This is evolutionary principle at play here.

Women are free to shave their heads, dress like guys, and act stoic, since guys will turn away from them more often or assume they are gay.

But most choose not to, because every decision has consequences, and most women have judged the advantages as worth it. That's largely because when you live as a man, no one chases you around competing to give you free stuff. Your comfort isn't even an entity of consideration. Your value is not innate, but vested in your continued ability to toil away, skillfully working hard to produce a result. Your value is in your talents, not in simply existing.

So most women like to be a prize; not a mere prize, but at LEAST a prize. There's nothing wrong with that, as you might as well use every advantage you have.

ok boomer

MixMasterLar 08-13-2020 10:41 AM

Re: WAP
 
I mean I'm a Danny Sexbang fan so there's no way I'm going to demonize this track but if your stance is that it's got a good beat/flow imma hard disagree with you.

Honestly I found the lyrics kinda funny because 10 years ago these lines would have been prime real estate for a parody song on YouTube but Cardi is saying it with a straight face and it slays me. The bit about parking it in her lil' garage caused me to miss half the song and that's the honest truth.

But since I first heard it I have seen some backlash that comes off as unfair / unrelated to the music itself and while I'm sure someone here is gonna point out the praise it gets is oftentimes also unrelated to the music....IDK I think I've reached the point in my life where joy and positivity don't need justification but criticism kinda fucking does.

If you like it for whatever reason keep on keeping on; if you don't like it, either just leave it at your personal preference or have solid lines of reasoning that extend past the word "gross"

Dynam0 08-13-2020 10:45 AM

Re: WAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4740268)
same

anyways time to give my hot(tm) take

so the song is significant not for the content but the controversy surrounding it.

as etienne already mentioned, sexually explicit songs are nothing new, when sung by men or women. but there's two things here that stand out: the song is more explicit than other sexual songs by contemporary artists (e.g. anaconda by nicki minaj, whistle by flo rida (ew)) and the song and the accompanying music video portray women as in charge of their sexuality and dominant over their partners (who we'd assume are men). music today is indeed very sexist, and women-- especially black women-- are often objectified.

we then have the music video which o n l y includes women, predominately black of all shades. an exception is kylie jenner, which i think is an interesting inclusion. she is very much white but her and her family have been accused over the years of co-opting black culture for money and fame. some think she shouldn't have been in the video at all, as her presence is detracting from the attention that cardi b and megan thee stallion should have instead. i don't know what to think of it, really. we also see normani at the end of the video who is talented af and let's us know it, but she's spoken out about racism in the music industry before (edit: and has not seen the meteoric rise in her career that she deserves). her music video "motivation" was also criticized as sexual when, really, it was pretty modest compared to other music videos when we think about it. why is that?

when people decry this song, they call it trashy. specifically, trashy. that's not the wording we use when a male singer makes a sexually explicit song, or when a woman is sexualized in a male singer's music video... or when a white or white passing woman makes a sexually explicit music video. i think this points towards the intersection of racism and sexism in both the music industry and in society as a whole.

and that's why i love this song. it's also a b o p

Find me the male equivalent to this music video and I would label it trash too. If there was a dude shaking his thicccc butt around talking about his juicy balls unironically I would probably yarf in my mouth as well.

This literally could have been shit out by Miley Cyrus and I would have called that trashy too.

Trash has no skin colour so to imply that my opinion is racist AND sexist is fucked up. If I was a butthurt SJW type I would probably demand an apology for that assertion.

edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradiant (Post 4740280)
Unpopular opinion, don't @ me:
I think people tend to put more weight towards whether or not an artist or the people in the music video are POC or a women rather than if the song is actually 'good'. I'd call this song trashy, not mainly because of the content (I actually enjoy listening to shit like 'my neck, my back' or cupcakke, whether it's their actual songs or the mashups with pop songs that are all over youtube), but because I think its just trash in general. The song to me is just incredibly boring, and pairing that with it coming from an also incredibly overrated artist AND a small bit if it being sex for sex's sake, I just really don't like this song. Unfortunately because of the first line of this post, generally if people don't like songs like this its seen as it because of the person being racist or sexist rather than not liking it because it's boring af

THIS A MILLION TIMES JFC

MixMasterLar 08-13-2020 10:56 AM

Re: WAP
 
Dynam0 I believe 100% you would but society at large surely would be more willing to either give it a pass or not say anything at all.

I feel like that's more the point Funny is trying to make.

Dynam0 08-13-2020 11:15 AM

Re: WAP
 
That's the thing though. The fact that fg made a thread to share this video and declared it culturally significant is precisely why it "doesn't get a pass". It's purpose was literally to shock people, no doubt. Madonna used to do trashy stuff back in the day (for those standards) and that shit definitely didn't fly under the radar.

If you want to go way back then look at Elvis when he did his hip thrusting. That shit did NOT go unnoticed and many considered it trashy.

This whole racism and sexism argument is nonsense.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution