Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 09-14-2015 09:57 AM

Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

If I'm correct, he'll be conducting for Simulacrum. Haven't heard the album yet but will do so soon.

rayword45 09-17-2015 04:36 PM

Day 217: A Distant Fist Unclenching by Krill

I'm seeing this guys tomorrow as they're with Pile and two other bands I do not care to look up right now. I've heard several songs and they've all been pretty decent but never a full album. Not too engaged in the local music scene I guess.

These guys are pretty great instrumentally, I have no complaints about their songwriting, and the use of irregular time signatures and weird bass grooves is awesome. The vocals are not to everyone's taste but I like them just fine.

The biggest problem I have with the album is that the production, for reasons I cannot understand, puts way too much reverb on anything, dragging the album down a notch as a whole. Also, centerpiece Tiger is pretty boring.

Still got a lot of good songs, and I'm biased to Boston bands of minor impact (whereas you couldn't pay me to listen to Godsmack and Aerosmith are overhyped as hell).

Best Track: Foot
Rating: 7.5/10

rayword45 09-17-2015 07:35 PM

Day 218: Magic Isn't Real by Pile

Jesus Christ, these guys tried really hard to sound like a 90s band here. Like, REALLY hard. The singer sounds like effing Chris Cornell on Don't Touch Anything.

Anyways, it's a pretty good album. Similar in style to the other album I've listened to, but not as many standouts and much more screaming without as much emotion.

Scratch that actually, there are plenty of standouts here, like Pets, #1 Hit Single and the aforementioned Don't Touch Anything, they just don't touch the peaks of Dripping. Still, credits for consistency, and lots of rocking, especially that outro track.

Best Track: Don't Touch Anything
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 09-22-2015 08:46 PM

Day 219: What a Time to Be Alive by Drake and Future

I really, really, really HATE this collection of songs.

That sentence was my RateYourMusic review. Now I'm going to attempt reviewing it in more depth.

Can't do it. I really, really, really HATE this collection of songs.

Best Track: NOTHING
Rating: 1/10

rayword45 09-28-2015 06:30 AM

Day 220: The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid by Stars of the Lid (Album Choice: Spenner)

I actually forced myself to listen to this one twice, because the first time I listened to it I didn't pay enough attention. Shut the hell up.

I like this one ever so slightly more than And Their Refinement Of The Decline but I can't put my finger on why. Maybe the drones are prettier this time? Nonetheless, my criticism still stands, why two goddamn hours? This would easily be a solid 8 or low 9 if you cut the album down to 40-60 minutes. Look at artists like Tim Hecker where the album lasts less than an hour. Hell, look at Basinski where his albums are often only one or two songs but the total running time never reaches 80 minutes. Maybe it's a undiagnosed attention problem I have but I can't stay engaged in drones for 2 whole hours.

But yeah I guess a ton of these songs are great.

Best Track: Mullholland
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 09-28-2015 10:08 PM

Day 221: Keep It Like A Secret by Built To Spill (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

These guys made the genius decision to play three nights in a tow on Boston, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday respectively. What kind of idiot handles the scheduling like that?

Anyways, I actually wanted to listen to this band like, 3 or 4 years ago but something put me off of it. Have no idea as to what.

Good hooks, good (indie) pop songwriting, but nothing about this release makes me go wow. The guitar playing is pretty damn impressive, but it just seems like classic rock influenced wanking over these song structures.

Best Track: Carry the Zero
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 09-29-2015 10:17 PM

Day 222: Whatever by Nai Harvest (Album Choice: ChikaraGuy)

I'm not typically down with emo but I'm in a pretty down mood. This album is probably improved somewhat by being in a down mood, but it's still too overwrought for my tastes. On the plus side, it's a pretty perfect length, since the songs almost get samey but everything is over before it gets grating.

Best Track: Sitcom Fade-In
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 10-1-2015 06:40 AM

Day 223: Computer World by Kraftwerk

Unless I got scammed, I managed to score two orchestra level tickets to see these guys on Saturday for $30 a pop. Damn I love being Asian.

I dunno if I like this release more than The Man-Machine or not. On one hand, it neither has the crazy awesome atmospheric tracks (instead having some "pretty good" atmosphere tracks, which are pleasant but nearly as colorful or visual) nor any perfect pop songs ala The Model. However, it is more consistent overall, with never more than a boring minute, and the variety of atonal sounds (which are far greater in count here than in the former album) are like a goddamn endorphin release.

Either way, it's better than Trans-Europe Express so that's good.

Best Track: It's More Fun To Compute although I am quite fond of Numbers

rayword45 10-3-2015 01:38 PM

Day 224: Radio-Activity by Kraftwerk

What a perfectly mediocre album. The skits are nothing but padding and the songs are hit-or-miss.

Still looking forward a ton for this show.

Best Track: Antenna
Rating: 5.5/10

rayword45 10-4-2015 04:19 PM

Day 225: Moon Colony Bloodbath by The Mountain Goats and John Vanderslice

What.CD freeleech treat for myself. I've mentioned that I love love LOVE this band at least 40 times now, I don't need to review this in depth, it'll just be fanboy fawning.

Best Track: Emerging

rayword45 10-11-2015 02:27 PM

Day 226: New England Triptych by William Schuman performed by Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra (Album Choice: Tidus810)

It's mad confusing when someone recommends an orchestral piece that wasn't recorded immediately after writing. I have like 5000 choices here.

I'm not gonna judge the performance for obvious reasons, but this is a pretty nice piece. Reminds me of Disney. That is literally all I can think to say.

Best Track: Uhh... The first movement?

rayword45 10-11-2015 06:08 PM

Day 227: My Love is a Bulldozer by Venetian Snares (Album Choice: XCV)

Is this album supposed to be funny? Half of these songs sound like jokes but not particularly funny ones thanks mostly to the vocals. That album art is horrible. Not really a bad album but it seems somewhat subpar.

Best Track: Amazon
Rating: 5/10

rayword45 10-12-2015 08:59 PM

Day 228: Tallahassee Turns Ten by Various Artists

Dunno what drove me to listen to this album, but most of these covers pale in comparison to the original versions. In particular, No Children is kinda bland even if pretty, and Oceanographer's Choice sounds like bootleg Ben Folds. The only song that actually improves on the original is Have to Explode. Alpha Rats Nest, See America Right and Ethiopians are pretty nice as well. Overall, a very meh cover album to a fantastic album.

Best Track: Have To Explode
Rating: 4.5/10

rayword45 10-17-2015 08:08 PM

Day 229: Zombies on Acid by Family Farce

Sitting around by myself in Harvard Yard for a half hour, I need to kill some time. This is a short album. I absolutely loved these guys before I turned 13, but after that age I played a LOT less Stepmania. Never listened to one of their albums before, this is the only one that is on Bandcamp.

Trying my best not to let childhood nostalgia affect this review. I really like around 3 quarters of the songs here, even if they're all a bit rudimentary. Honestly I wish that a few of these tracks if not near all of them were more fleshed out. The longest track doesn't even break 2 and a half minutes, which makes sense since these tracks were meant for Stepmania. Also, vocal samples range from Anime to random profanity, neither of which I like. The only vocal sample that's legitimately funny/good is Singing In The Rain in zZz. Why do I still remember that tidbit from when I was 9?

Nice album, a bit too concise and perhaps scattershot.

Best Track: Retard Bus
Rating: 6.5/10

dfkltap 10-17-2015 08:45 PM

dfkltap be tired

day of ffring and stuff, need o relax mah fingers y'all xD

rayword45 10-21-2015 08:17 AM

Day 230: Duch Tornada by Alameda 5 (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

Well, this was interesting. A bit too jammy for my tastes honestly. Fuck college applications.

Best Track: Sierść płomienia

Crazyjayde 10-21-2015 11:12 AM

Shame you couldn't handle the jams. Fuck college.

rayword45 10-24-2015 12:25 AM

Day 231: Divers by Joanna Newsom

Really enjoyed this, moreso than any of her other albums... Not gonna bother writing more. Go to Pitchfork damnit, I'll put more effort in more obscure things.

Best Track: Anecdotes
Rating: 8/10

Jonlovesddr 10-24-2015 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4365830)
Day 227: My Love is a Bulldozer by Venetian Snares (Album Choice: XCV)

Is this album supposed to be funny? Half of these songs sound like jokes but not particularly funny ones thanks mostly to the vocals. That album art is horrible. Not really a bad album but it seems somewhat subpar.

Best Track: Amazon

i'm offended

rayword45 10-28-2015 09:40 PM

Day 232: Virgins by Tim Hecker

I still listen to Harmony in Ultraviolet at least every other week or so. That album is goddamn gorgeous, and has encouraged me to see this dude live if he ever comes to Boston (or wherever I go to college).

On that note, what the fuck is this shit? Half of the songs sound like he's taking a good ambient track and just banging some piano nonsense over it, and another sizable chunk sound like the bastard child of Boards of Canada and Merzbow. There are, of course, a few good tracks in here but goddamn I came in expecting beauty and left feeling like this was a hunk of bullshit that took like 20 minutes to make.

I'm not even in a crappy mood, man.

Best Track: Radiance
Rating: 4/10