Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 01-14-2017 05:42 PM

Re: 365 Reviews Done

Day 366: New York Tendaberry by Laura Nyro (Album Choice: megido18)

I told you guys I was gonna keep doing this. It's a convenient log for me to keep. This will accompany me as I continue to read What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, which is a pretty fucking great read to this sadsack hipster. Sexual monogamy is stupid.

I was wary for the first few minutes, but this is proving to be some pretty damn beautiful stuff. The vocals are occasionally overwrought (or just... weird) but most of the time they're great. And it fits the book!

Best Track: Either Captain For Dark Mornings or Gibsom Street
Rating: 8/10

Spenner 01-15-2017 06:36 PM

Oh I missed it on the day it counted. But GG, good for continuing cuz the people need to know.

choof 01-17-2017 12:08 AM

YISS
those ratings for elseq 1-5 are pretty close to what I'd give them as well. hated elseq 2 t b h. I've been listening to 4 and 5 lately, even I can get burnt out on the ae so I haven't given them the proper attention. 5 is good as fuck

rayword45 01-31-2017 01:41 PM

Day 367: A Shadow In Time by William Basinski

How many times am I gonna recognize repeats from Melancholia in this guy's discography? How many times will he nevertheless amaze me? The second track here is much better than the first, but both work well in this shitty weather.

Best Track: A Shadow In Time
Rating: 8/10

rayword45 01-31-2017 09:28 PM

Day 368: Near To The Wild Heart Of Life by Japandroids

I still love Post-Nothing. This band has gotten some minor backlash in recent times (recent meaning after 2012 I guess) but that album still sounds joyous to me, a soundtrack for high school celebrations gone past. On the other hand, I completely agree with whomever shares my opinion that Celebration Rock is a piece of shit.

This sounds more like Celebration Rock unfortunately. These guys are pretty samey across all their works, but what made their earlier works great is the amount of spark and energy in the performances. This is just too polished, the fuzz and feedback feels too produced. There are some great pop melodies to be found here, but overall this just feels uninspired.

Also, I heard these guys suck live.

Best Track: I'm Sorry (for Not Finding You Sooner)
Rating: 5/10

choof 01-31-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4515046)
How many times am I gonna recognize repeats from Melancholia in this guy's discography?

three times: variations of a chrome primitive, melancholia 2 and 14, and now this title track
honestly I have no idea what people are seeing in this album, I thought the first track was ruined by the saxophone and the second track was merely okay but the ending felt so tacked on

I'm upset because if he decides to tour this year and I have the funds to go see him, I know there's a good chance of me not liking it because he'll play this piece live. although he started this piece after cascade and he started cascade after nocturnes so maybe he'll have some new material???

rayword45 02-7-2017 02:41 PM

Day 369: Becoming X by Sneaker Pimps (Album Choice: MixMasterLar)

I remember playing Spin Spin Sugar (Armand's Dark Garage Mix) in DDR Extreme 2 when I was 8. I didn't like the song much back then, but I appreciated it a lot more somewhere in my mid-teens.

This album shifts between sounding like sweet candy sex and obnoxious candy trip hop genericness, and usually within the same song multiple times. That's completely the fault of the vocals. The instrumentals are great across the board, with beats simultaneously catchy and chill and psychedelia galore.

I just wish the singer didn't sound kinda like a teenager half the time.|

Best Track: Post-Modern Sleaze
Rating: 7/10

Rapta 02-7-2017 02:59 PM

go listen to a yousei teikoku album

ilikexd 02-18-2017 03:57 AM

can i give you new recs

rayword45 02-18-2017 02:04 PM

sure

ilikexd 02-18-2017 07:07 PM

Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Exuma - Exuma

rayword45 02-24-2017 06:13 PM

Day 370: Serial Experiments Tangela by Love Through Cannibalism (Album Choice: Trogdor!!!)

This one is enjoyable, but not one I'd ever call a favorite. Emotionally it comes off as too cold and impersonal, yet I can sense some attempts at injecting feelings (or just trying to sound more like an old Pokemon game). I'd prefer either more aggression (because the drums go fast (hurrhurrhurr) but the melodies clash) or more soft, sweet moments. Nice and concise, my favorite rhyme, and the conclusion is fantastic.

Revisit? Maybe. WOW my English is getting worse every fucking day. Catch The 5th Annual Live On Cinema Oscar Special this Sunday!

Best Track: Recover (Requiem)
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 02-26-2017 06:49 PM

Day 371: Go Plastic by Squarepusher (Album Choice: xValorx)

Fuck you Squarepusher your not cool because you can make the drums go fast

That will never get old to me. I've never actually listened to any of this dude's music in my lifetime, never felt like it I guess. That's changing while I study this fucking Econ bullshit.

This is just way too impersonal sounding for me. It's neither aggressive enough nor pretty enough to stand out to me, with the exception of a select few songs. I Wish You Could Talk is the obvious highlight, Plaistow Flex Out is pretty nice too.

I'll return to this artist... eventually.

Best Track: I Wish You Could Talk
Rating: 4/10

Snapps 02-28-2017 02:49 AM

wac - ongaku

MyNameIsNothing 02-28-2017 09:46 PM

gonna second nonames rec for last years pup album its p gr8
some other 2016 releases u should check out::::
japanese breakfast - psychopomp
whitney - light upon the lake
also i saw velocity design comfort on ur rym page its worth the listen

Surt 03-1-2017 12:49 AM

may as well go for it

Frums - metacontinues

rayword45 03-1-2017 12:26 PM

Day 373: Endtroducing..... by DJ Shadow (Album Choice: HitlerWasRight)

Just going through the canon at this point. I'll get through it one day... Or maybe not. Like, what reason will I ever have to actually listen to Arcade Fire?

I'm bumping 6 Underground to an 8.5 even though I still find the vocals to be slightly annoying because I can't stop listening to it when I'm studying.

Man, what the fuck am I supposed to say for these albums? That I'm late as fuck? There are some fantastic tracks on here for sure. Organ Donor, Changeling, and especially Midnight In A Perfect World stand out to me in particular. There's very few down moments on this album and I certainly can't pick them out, though I'm still not convinced on the hour-long runtime.

Good shit, man. Will return, of course.

Best Track: Midnight In A Perfect World
Rating: 7/10

Trogdor!!!! 03-1-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 4525547)
Day 370: Serial Experiments Tangela by Love Through Cannibalism (Album Choice: Trogdor!!!)

This one is enjoyable, but not one I'd ever call a favorite. Emotionally it comes off as too cold and impersonal, yet I can sense some attempts at injecting feelings (or just trying to sound more like an old Pokemon game). I'd prefer either more aggression (because the drums go fast (hurrhurrhurr) but the melodies clash) or more soft, sweet moments. Nice and concise, my favorite rhyme, and the conclusion is fantastic.

Revisit? Maybe. WOW my English is getting worse every fucking day. Catch The 5th Annual Live On Cinema Oscar Special this Sunday!

Best Track: Recover (Requiem)
Rating: 6/10

I totally forgot about this but yes Recover is the best

Trogdor!!!! 03-1-2017 03:43 PM

Also no love for Napalm Brain on Endtroducing that track is the shit