Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend me some 2022 albums +1000th album halp (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137263)

rayword45 04-1-2016 08:26 AM

Re: Read My Reviews

Day 308: Art Of Life by X Japan (Album Choice: Nick Sayaka)

Song structure isn't everything, but this is some REALLY GOOD song structuring.

Best Track: That piano part
Rating: 7/10

rayword45 04-4-2016 08:04 AM

Day 309: ///Codename: Dustsucker by Bark Psychosis (Album Choice: EzExZeRo7497)

Despite being considerably different this reminds me a lot of Natural Snow Buildings due to the split vocals, chilly atmosphere and use of ambient sounds and field recordings. It's also a great album but not quite as grand as The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun (and it's also a bit jazzier).

Highly recommended, it's like the auditory equivalent of heroin on a snowy day. Why is it snowing in April?

Best Track: Shapeshifting
Rating: 8.5/10

rayword45 04-6-2016 11:10 PM

Day 310: Weezer by Weezer (Album Choice: Hazel H.)

This is referring to The Blue Album specifically. I've listened to The Green Album and Raditude in full, because I guess I'm a masochist. But these guys definitely know how to write a pop song. Just, can they write a full album? I don't know. Those albums left a really unfairly sour taste in my mouth.

Of the three songs I recognize by name, I fully and unashamedly enjoy Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't So and I forget most of The Sweater Song. These first two songs are fucking garbage, through and through. Is this considered one of their best releases? I'm not gonna look because I feel that will shape my expectations, I'm not sure if it's the red or blue one that's more acclaimed. But yeah, these songs sound like a 13 year old's first garage band, except now that 13 year old is 25 and going through his quarter life crisis and digging up his childhood. Just awful.

It gets better after that, especially the singles. They're not deep or anything, but they're extremely catchy, which is what power pop should be. Oh yeah, I do recognize The Sweater Song. They also can write a good, slightly emo riff for sure. Or they could up until whenever they started losing their marbles.

An okay album. The singles are the best songs by a wide margin.

Best Track: The Sweater Song
Rating: 6/10

rayword45 04-7-2016 07:22 AM

Day 311: Sleep Cycle by Deakin

A slight conflict when rating this. First and foremost, this DESTROYS both Centipede Hz and Painting With and we don't even need to talk about any recent solo releases. These are some very solid pop songs despite their long length, spacy, catchy, varied and just experimental enough to please a shallow psychedelic trip for its short running time. Not a single one of these tracks is bad, which is amazing considering how inconsistent Animal Collective has always been and probably will continue to be.

Those live tracks are a complete fucking waste of time. Self-indulgent pseudo-tribal vaguely racist mindless bullshit and this is coming from someone who enjoyed Here Comes The Indian as well as many more experimental releases. He sounds like he wants to be Wayne Coyne after fucking Miley Cyrus to the sounds of a bootleg Shpongle. Just awful, awful stuff. However, I'm not sure if this is actually part of the album, considering the Bandcamp release only has the studio tracks. They might just be bonus tracks.

Eh screw it, I'm considering them bonus tracks. Don't listen to the live tracks, please, they're AWFUL. But listen to this album/EP. It's good.

Best Track: Good House
Rating: 7/10 (If we were wasting our time it would be a 5 at best)

rayword45 04-16-2016 09:17 AM

Day 312: Empty As Me by Pucker Up

These guys are much better live.

Best Track: Bodies
Rating: 6.5/10

rayword45 04-16-2016 09:54 AM

Day 313: The Ugly Organ by Cursive (Album Choice: Lord of Sushi)

I've never seen these guys live.

Best Track: The Recluse

rayword45 04-26-2016 10:29 PM

Day 314: Sweet Nothings by Dog Fashion Disco (Album Choice: DoctorSatan)

I enjoy Adultery quite a bit but not gonna lie, these guys managing to raise over $90000 for this album and its sequel is pretty goddamn impressive for a band of their caliber.

There are two main problems with this album. One, it's too damn long and two, the quality control is lacking as a result. A lot of these tracks are pretty unnecessary, ESPECIALLY that horrendous rap song and Untitled which was very blatantly made for the sake of fulfilling their Indiegogo pledges. Stick it on the deluxe next time.

This is the poppiest they've ever gotten and the most varied they've ever been, and it's nice to hear them moving forward even after an 8 year hiatus (although it's not really BETTER than Adultery it seems like an advancement nonetheless). Flawed but good. The jazz and pop tracks are the best ones here. Fuck you Christgau.

Best Track: Tastes So Sweet

rayword45 04-28-2016 12:07 AM

Day 315: Rifts by Oneohtrix Point Never (Album Choice: Spenner)

I listened to this whole album while cramming more AP Psychology. I must be the lowest GPA ever to take 5 AP tests in one year. Oh well.

This is good study music. I paid so little attention that I'm surprised I have a favorite track, but this is way too fucking long (2012 edition though the earlier edition still sounds like it's way too fucking long). It's mostly very nice though.

Best Track: I Know It's Taking Pictures From Another Plane (Inside Your Sun)
Rating: 6/10 (If you made, hell, a 60 minute album (and maybe you can stretch that to be slightly longer) consisting of the best tracks from this album you'd have a masterpiece)

choof 04-28-2016 01:01 AM

replica will 4evr be my favorite 0pn album

go listen to my new album

rayword45 04-28-2016 02:56 AM

Hey buddy here's a promise your album is reserved for my next cram session which is probably tomorrow.

I know nothing about this album, but I hope that this isn't gonna be retardedly long because goddamn Rifts.

Deadlyx39 04-28-2016 10:56 AM

So I made a Rock Band survey and it seems the song most requested to be in the game is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I'm not a huge Dream Theater fan, but there has to be a reason why so many people want a 45 minute song in Rock Band.

hi19hi19 04-28-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadlyx39 (Post 4427281)
a reason why so many people want a 45 minute song in Rock Band.

lolz + epenis for doing well on it + jacking off to how different and "artsy" it is

ilikexd 04-28-2016 09:10 PM

I've got some more recommendations if you want:

Coil - The Ape of Naples (post-industrial)
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (post-rock)
Fishmans - Long Season (dream pop, neo-psych)
Television - Marquee Moon (art punk)

rayword45 04-28-2016 11:33 PM

Day 316: Klexos EP by Rø (Album Choice: choof)

Hey, it made me study, so that's an automatic plus one. These drones are all rather bubbly in texture almost like Basinski's Watermusic. Very pleasurable stuff to listen to. A little more variance would be nice, but I suppose some appreciate more homogeneity in their ambient.

Best Track: To me it really just sounded like one track

Deadlyx39 04-29-2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 4427307)
lolz + epenis for doing well on it + jacking off to how different and "artsy" it is

Yeah that sounds about right. That's how 2112 by Rush is right now, and that song is only half as long as Six Degrees.

rayword45 05-2-2016 07:13 PM

Day 317: She Sleeps, She Sleeps by Fire!

I really like dark jazz it seems. More than that modal shit... shoot me.

Their big band orchestra shit is better.

Best Track: She Penetrates the Distant Silence, Slowly

Rapta 05-2-2016 07:20 PM

these reviews seem opinionated

.-.

thanks for indirectly showing me she penetrates the distance slowly

rayword45 05-8-2016 04:19 PM

Day 318: A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead

Well... It's better than The King Of Limbs.

Best Track: The Numbers

rayword45 05-15-2016 08:10 PM

Day 319: Memories In Widescreen by 36 (Album Choice: Contrapasso)

I'm done with APs FOREVER. And I got into a college I can afford for the fall.

This album is appropriately beautiful.

Best Track: After Time
Rating: 8/10

Deadlyx39 05-15-2016 10:56 PM

I have a feeling you're only making these short ones to get to 365 quicker.