Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Technology (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Python as a first programming language (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=154136)

RocketLauncher 12-4-2022 04:44 PM

Python as a first programming language

I understand basic programming syntax and took a class on Java in High School (not a complete understanding of it by any means). I've been procrastinating what programming language to start learning since I was 13 and first tried and gave up learning C++, which I'm not sure why I started on it.

I'm interested in a lot of the free software and how many things are written in C for GNU/Linux. I really don't know where to start so I've been starting to learn Python based on the "Python Crash Course" Python 3 book, which is pretty good to learn from so far. I was wondering what the next course of action should be as I get more comfortable? Should I eventually go into C? I kinda want to work as a programmer but I also would love to just have it as a general skill of mine, because it's not like I'm not going to have personal reasons to code. And I want to finally understand GNU/Linux a bit better.

And lots of things seem to be written in C. But not everything. And I feel like I'm in a Spanish-speaking nation and I don't know how to speak the language when I see how much of it is around.

xXOpkillerXx 12-4-2022 04:58 PM

Re: Python as a first programming language

If you go with Python, try to stay within the Python 3.8 and above range. It has better typings support and a Lot of code in the pre-typings Python era was made by people who couldn't structure code properly; the language was too easy to do whatever you wanted with it, similarly to MATLAB for example.

If C/C++ is that much of a goal for you, you can always learn Cython afterwards.

RocketLauncher 12-4-2022 05:09 PM

Cynthon looks interesting, I'm not sure if I'll be able to take advantage of that or not but I eventually want to get over to learning at least C. Maybe Java. It's a bit hard to find my place right now because I'm right at the beginning, but I think that kind of thinking is what kept me away from succeeding and studying programming for so long.

qqwref 12-4-2022 05:33 PM

Learning the basics of C/C++ is useful, but it's not really a language you need to write things in unless you're very concerned about performance. It's very easy to do something a little wrong and lead to memory leaks or undefined behavior. There's also a lot of extra boilerplate code you need to write, although in that regard Java is even worse.

Python doesn't have those problems, but is much slower (still very fast with a modern computer, though!). Despite that, Python is very popular both among hobbyists and in the software engineering industry. Development time is quick and there are a lots of useful libraries that can be installed and imported easily. So I'd definitely recommend learning it.

Rapta 12-4-2022 05:40 PM

To decide what language you want to learn can be simplified into a couple of follow-up questions.

What do you want to program? A game? A server? Algorithms for data science? Something else?

Depending on your answer you can narrow down the languages to pick from.

While C++ can do many things very well, it's a very difficult language to learn compared to others that can do those same things.

I think it's a good idea to stick with Python for a decent length of time, working on multiple projects to gain experience. Once you are familiar with one programming language it's significantly easier to learn another one.

Feel free to reach out to me if you would like a mentor for the basics of Python.

xXOpkillerXx 12-4-2022 07:37 PM

I'd honestly never recommend learning Java. It's garbage. Learn C#/.Net instead if you want that kind of language.

zatfer 01-18-2023 05:07 AM

Python and Java for me

Travis_Flesher 01-24-2023 02:51 PM

If you start programming HTML, then you will start learning several useful languagues. ;

jahx 01-29-2023 10:55 AM

IMO Python is a solid pick for a first programming language, because it's quite simple to understand, C is definitely harder to get into, but once you already know one programming language, learning another one is already easier, because basics are the same accross programming languages, it's mostly just the syntax that is different.

kmay 02-1-2023 12:35 AM

I've had a pretty easy time with JavaScript.... lots of resources there

kommisar 02-20-2023 06:00 PM

python to get introduced

C# for one of the best built/supported languages in terms of functionality (not performance mind you)

javascript if you feel like doing anything frontend related. Though you'll 100% need HTML and CSS to go along with it, but you can do them in parallel tbh

Java is hot garbage and you learn it through school usually. Only advantage is that it's similar to C# and transfers over well lmao

Zageron 02-23-2023 12:14 AM

Trumpet63 02-24-2023 08:19 AM

Newbies always ask this question and it's a really bad question to ask. People are very opinionated, and you, the newbie, don't know enough to pick out the small kernels of truth that may be present (or the lies). This is like someone learning to draw asking a bunch of artists what brand of tools they use, and refusing to start drawing until they've heard all the opinions. IT DOESN'T MATTER. JUST GO DRAW (program).

And for heaven's sake learn some data structures.

kmay 02-26-2023 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpet63 (Post 4786138)

No and you can't make me

Trumpet63 03-1-2023 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmay (Post 4786159)
No and you can't make me

:(

Zageron 03-5-2023 05:25 PM

Trumpet trumpetting facts. Just do 80 cumulative hours of Python tutorials / exercises. Learn data structures. Try to discover when and where to use some of those data structures.

Then move on to another language like golang and marvel at the ways how utterly different and similar they are.

kommisar 03-31-2023 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpet63 (Post 4786138)
Newbies always ask this question and it's a really bad question to ask. People are very opinionated, and you, the newbie, don't know enough to pick out the small kernels of truth that may be present (or the lies). This is like someone learning to draw asking a bunch of artists what brand of tools they use, and refusing to start drawing until they've heard all the opinions. IT DOESN'T MATTER. JUST GO DRAW (program).

if you want real hot takes watch the 243248093 vids on "WHY OOP IS HOT GARBAGE" and then praise procedural code that's hard to maintain

Neigdoig 03-25-2024 08:30 PM

Python is good for data science and computer science things.

For gaming, I'd stick with either C/C++, or maybe go with something like Rust or Lua.