Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   TWG Archives (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   TWG 188: MAD17, Who's Role Is It Anyway? [GAME THREAD] (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151148)

the sun fan 08-8-2019 10:49 PM

Re: TWG 188: MAD17, Who's Role Is It Anyway? [GAME THREAD]

god that looks absolutely delectable

roundbox 08-8-2019 10:56 PM

something tells me people are gonna forget or screw up the 36 hour phase

I call it every time

MixMasterLar 08-8-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4691589)
The other day at the comic book store I picked up a copy of Segar's original Popeye comic run and man, it's coming back to me

I've never had a chance to read more then a few of the weekly strips randomly posted online back when we first got internet (like age 14). They still pretty good yeah?

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4691607)
who is ur favorite archie character

correct answers are jughead and jughead

Jughead was the best, but I remember Reggie being such a shitsack that it was hard not to enjoy him. I remember thinking the Betty-centric stories where funny but could not tell you a single plot of any of them.

But yeah I had one of the Jughead Digest issues from like 88 or 89 and there was a story on how he thought that every girl tasted like cherry pie. It was so absurd that I'm fascinated it got published

the sun fan 08-8-2019 11:34 PM

shadow_god
he be not the same

MixMasterLar 08-8-2019 11:39 PM

Explain

the sun fan 08-8-2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4691628)
Explain

its just a feeling

DaBackpack 08-8-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4691626)
I've never had a chance to read more then a few of the weekly strips randomly posted online back when we first got internet (like age 14). They still pretty good yeah?

As far as I know the original run (Segar) was the best, which is what I read as a kid (think it was a Sea Hag saga) but his successor (Sagendorf) also had a good run also. The rest is variable quality I think.

The Max Fleischer cartoons (esp. Popeye Meets Sindbad) were technical animation marvels at the time, introducing a table of miniature models that had an animation wheel circling around it, providing an animation overlay over a 3D environment. The post-Fleischer cartoons are of variable quality

the sun fan 08-8-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4691630)
As far as I know the original run (Segar) was the best, which is what I read as a kid (think it was a Sea Hag saga) but his successor (Sagendorf) also had a good run also. The rest is variable quality I think.

The Max Fleischer cartoons (esp. Popeye Meets Sindbad) were technical animation marvels at the time, introducing a table of miniature models that had an animation wheel circling around it, providing an animation overlay over a 3D environment. The post-Fleischer cartoons are of variable quality

what the fuck

MixMasterLar 08-9-2019 12:15 AM

Now I have watched some of the Fleischer cartoons and probably all of the latter colored ones from like the 40s onward as a kid, but I'm under the impression the OG comic had a lot more going on then the cartoons normally did.

IIRC The cartoons just kinda fell into a template of "Bad Guy Bad, Popeye gets shit kicked out of him, spinach happens, que the theme song"

Also @ SunFan if you really wanna blow your mind about Max Fleischer check out his rotoscoping work it's literally the work of Satan and people in the 30s thought it was the future

the sun fan 08-9-2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4691641)
Also @ SunFan if you really wanna blow your mind about Max Fleischer check out his rotoscoping work it's literally the work of Satan and people in the 30s thought it was the future

"The work of Satan" is a little to heavy for that
honestly, it was neat
no wonder things looked so smooth, albeit that had to be a shitload of work

MixMasterLar 08-9-2019 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4691643)
"The work of Satan" is a little to heavy for that
honestly, it was neat
no wonder things looked so smooth, albeit that had to be a shitload of work

The nightmares of that walrus....thing....have never stopped

MixMasterLar 08-9-2019 01:05 AM

Hey can we talk about how Obama is apparently in the video for Woomp There it Is? (thumbnail and one minute mark)

Svaz 08-9-2019 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4691629)
its just a feeling

you mean the part where there's not like 50 stream of consciousness styled posts? I could see it

but I also am paralyzed by fear of fucking up again like last game

actually damn by that logic maybe this is a good idea

DaBackpack 08-9-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4691641)
Now I have watched some of the Fleischer cartoons and probably all of the latter colored ones from like the 40s onward as a kid, but I'm under the impression the OG comic had a lot more going on then the cartoons normally did.

IIRC The cartoons just kinda fell into a template of "Bad Guy Bad, Popeye gets shit kicked out of him, spinach happens, que the theme song"

Yeah the comics were generally adventure-themed, like "Popeye goes on a treasure hunt" kinda stuff and had plotlines that lasted several weeks. Spinach is barely even a thing for most of it. A good portion of it is Popeye fucking around with people or just beating the shit out of anyone who looks at him funny. It's great

The Fleischer ones are pretty much the formula you described, but I think those cartoons are the foundation of the modern image of Popeye as opposed to the flanderization of the 1950s-1970s Popeye cartoons that were essentially Post-Chuck Jones Looney Tunes except worse.

DaBackpack 08-9-2019 01:59 AM

to clarify, I'm pretty sure the Fleischer cartoons created the spinach superpower angle which has persisted almost 90 years later

DaBackpack 08-9-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4691633)
what the fuck

animation patents are legit engineering marvels; even beyond multi-plane cameras, rotoscoping, and technicolor

https://www.digitalmediafx.com/Featu...fleischer.html

is a reference I just found that goes into it a bit

MixMasterLar 08-9-2019 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4691654)
animation patents are legit engineering marvels; even beyond multi-plane cameras, rotoscoping, and technicolor

https://www.digitalmediafx.com/Featu...fleischer.html

is a reference I just found that goes into it a bit

Gonna check that out later actually

Obligatory Chuck Jones was the man and only Tex Avery can pretend to be equal sentence.

Xelicopter 08-9-2019 06:56 AM

MAN THIS SURE IS A SPICY DAY.

/WHIRRRRRRRRRRRL

Funnygurl555 08-9-2019 08:32 AM

I was so scared of the ot I assumed the fetal position and slept

It's just a game

Why

Also zzzzzzzz

psychoangel691 08-9-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4691559)
how's it feel to roll town for the first time back in so long?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiebessie (Post 4691563)
I’m excited to use my skills of deduction to figure out that you’re a wolf. 😎

Hmmm, a couple of wolves distancing themselves from one another, got it.