Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums

Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stock Market Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=152255)

Poison- 01-14-2021 09:34 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
Haha yeah I wasn't willing to put a lot into GME. Only bought 35 shares at $16.88, so about $600. Up 136.43% as of close today ($806.05)

Frank Munoz 01-14-2021 09:38 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
I finally stopped being lazy.
Started with QLI as it dipped heavy as expected. Maybe shoulda waited a little more cause now it's down another .50 but oh well.

I also got my eyes on MSCI but prolly won't do anything. Just imagining the what-ifs.

mi40 01-14-2021 09:43 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Munoz (Post 4754847)
I finally stopped being lazy.
Started with QLI as it dipped heavy as expected. Maybe shoulda waited a little more cause now it's down another .50 but oh well.

I also got my eyes on MSCI but prolly won't do anything. Just imagining the what-ifs.

MSCI long term commons is fine i'm sure, i think there are better fin plays though just my 2c

QLI is that a chinese pharma IPO? smallcap too.. hope that works out for you

Frank Munoz 01-14-2021 09:51 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mi40 (Post 4754848)
MSCI long term commons is fine i'm sure, i think there are better fin plays though just my 2c

QLI is that a chinese pharma IPO? smallcap too.. hope that works out for you

QLI is my "just for fun" funds so I won't feel too bad if it'sa bust. I hope..
Mind you I don't know a thing about stuff here, so harsh criticism is fine with me as this is literally my first play ever.

mi40 01-14-2021 10:57 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Munoz (Post 4754849)
QLI is my "just for fun" funds so I won't feel too bad if it'sa bust. I hope..
Mind you I don't know a thing about stuff here, so harsh criticism is fine with me as this is literally my first play ever.

yeah i generally tend to stay away from ipos because there's a bunch of factors that determine the future price like.. market hype, lockup periods ending, institutional ownership (and whether they want to cash out) etc

MSCI is pretty random, i would've just gone with your usual financials like GS JPM BAC or fintech like SQ PYPL

kommisar 01-15-2021 09:34 AM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
what's the word on index stocks vs EFTs in terms of return (and whether they're a good idea in general)? I'm hearing that indexes are better because they only trade once per day whereas EFTs are more volatile. I have RRSP contributions in Canada/USA/Worldwide equity index for long term

I added a bit of funds to my portfolio, gonna look into something else to dive into. I have my energy stock, tech, commodity, wondering if healthcare/blockchain is worth it in the short term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumaestro (Post 4754657)
What are you guys using to invest? There are so many apps/sites. And do they generate tax slips? In Canada?

I'm using Wealthsimple, I do believe they generate tax slips (especially since they're officially registered with federal compliance etc.) but I haven't looked yet. I'll have to soon with tax season approaching oop

mi40 01-15-2021 11:49 AM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
index etfs are general market funds like SPY, QQQ, IWM, DIA that track a basket of stocks, weighted differently - basically they're the most popular ones, and when you say trade once a day you probably mean they rebalance

etfs in general are just a collection of a basket of stocks, like there are oil ETFs, semiconductor ETFs, communication stock ETFs, financials ETF, energy ETFs, blah blah, for people who want to focus on specific sectors/companies

as for specific sectors i'm not a market genius so i can't give any recommendations that mean anything BUT it's always good have a variety of stuff. of course you can gamble disposable income away on stupid meme shit can get rewarded (or get blown up).. you know, the kind of stuff you see on TV or wallstreetbets.

i would recommend starting off with basic ETFs like SPY QQQ and reading into different sectors over time

Poison- 01-15-2021 01:46 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
I like having a mixture of real investments and stupid meme shit :cool:

mi40 01-15-2021 05:12 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
red day today but i'm green 8-) feels great man.

Frank Munoz 01-19-2021 05:15 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
⅘Steady climb up today(~12%)
Jumped off QLI as I've a feeling it's gonna go lower, then I'll jump back on.

DARE and FCEL are doing me good though!

(edit: aftermarket going crazy today)

mi40 01-19-2021 05:22 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
yeah i'm up HUGE on alibaba and facebook today. +28k.

DARE and FCEL huh.. smallcap stuffs - be careful with those, always have an entry and exit

kommisar 01-19-2021 05:29 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
aye good day today in general. I'm a bit worried about the Canadian market with Biden cutting keystone xl pretty much tomorrow. I have some stuff in Canadian renewable energy so we'll see how that's affected.

mi40 01-19-2021 05:38 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 4754977)
aye good day today in general. I'm a bit worried about the Canadian market with Biden cutting keystone xl pretty much tomorrow. I have some stuff in Canadian renewable energy so we'll see how that's affected.

when uncertain, set a stop or sell and see if it drops
if it sells off, you avoided losses
if it flattens out or goes up, at least you didn't lose money!

mi40 01-20-2021 12:00 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
up 12k on Visa and Costco today.

Poison- 01-20-2021 04:40 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
Nothing exciting happened with my portfolio today. Biggest mover was MSFT at 3.65%.

I'm rebalancing my portfolio right now and looking for new positions to take

mi40 01-20-2021 04:56 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4754997)
Nothing exciting happened with my portfolio today. Biggest mover was MSFT at 3.65%.

I'm rebalancing my portfolio right now and looking for new positions to take

tech lead the move upwards today, so the MSFT biggest mover makes sense

EOD: +21k on FB/V/COST, -1k on AMD

Poison- 01-20-2021 05:39 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
Is $21k a big move for your account? Literally the size of my portfolio in one day haha

mi40 01-20-2021 06:24 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4754999)
Is $21k a big move for your account? Literally the size of my portfolio in one day haha

it's a decent sized move, i definitely have my -5k & -10k days from time to time

Frank Munoz 01-20-2021 08:29 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
I was +20% this morning, -10% as of now lmao.
I'll set my stop orders this time >>
also yea mi40, moving $21k ina day! That's yearly salary to some congrats

mi40 01-21-2021 02:44 PM

Re: Stock Market Chit Chat
 
another huge day for megacaps!
closed V at 207, closed FB at 272, added more COST at 361
sold a bunch of AMD 90p 1/29 for free money and added more AMD at 89.7
woop woop


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution